i'm on fire!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: i'm on fire!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 10:48 am:

at least, that's what mp3.com says about my song 'wristjockey'. it's a rapid riser on the 'new wave' charts.

if anyone can help me out by grabbing this song (or all of them!) daily, i'd appreciate it greatly.

i'm power hungry.

also, 'flood of meat II' is now online. it's glam. it hit #32 on the glam charts. it's now #65 or so. i can do better than this.

make me lovely.

gracias.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 12:28 pm:

you got it!

i am just curious do people really roam that site and download strangers' music?

To me, this brings up a concern about the integrity of music or art in general, on the net. I have my photos, granted, you have your music, granted. But the fact that ANYONE can take a digital camera or a midi player/recorder and cut and paste and photoshop a work of "art"...does this damage the integrity of the medium? Ya think?

I have mixed feelings about it. On one side, I think it's great folks can have the freedom to send digital images of kids to grandma or photograph whatever the hell they want or send your pal a copy of song you recently recorded, but what about the craft? What about the craft of sitting at a piano or a drum kit. What about the craft of film and print making?

I have been offered full blown websites from various people, but I have declined simply because I don't want that to be the primary way people view my work. It's nice to have as a reference, it's nice to have some examples of what i can do available to those who can't be here but my images are not done justice viewed on a computer screen, nor is the sound of a guitar or drum.

I fear a complacent society who no longer appreciates the value of the craft of the various arts.

So nate when are you coming down to get those press kit photos done?

By Nate on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 12:45 pm:

when i lose my G and get some money together.

i think that old crafts are being bent and reformed and new crafts are surfacing. i dunno. did the camera degrade the craft of portrait painting? maybe so. maybe not.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

paint as opposed to film are two entirely different mediums, and i suppose you could argue that regarding electronic/computer based music and accoustic music. naturally i want to avoid sounding like an old fart at the ripe age of 25, but at the same time, on the net, i see so much crap out there i fear all mediums will degrade in quality and integrity. I have hard time accepting learning a software program is indicative of artistic ability. I suppose painters said that about the pictoralists at the turn of the century as well. oh well, keep on keepin on

By Nate on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 01:17 pm:

don't be a lud.

i think a major issue is that everyone with a computer can potentially get widespread viewership. maybe now you have to wade through a lot more crap to see the good stuff.

but on the flip side, a lot more good stuff will surface.

i think media is the tool. art is the emotion. you can create with a pile of grass clippings or a pentium III and 20GB of harddrive.

it's what you end up with that people either connect with or not.

By _____ on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

art.

fart.

whatever the medium, my problem with art is the artist. just like my problem with politics is the politician. enormous egos with ravenous appetites aren't getting a crumb from me.

the truth is, i don't really get art. being that i was born entirely without a creative urge, i can only criticize. something i get better at as i get older.

patrick, do you feel that you have a right to take anyone's picture without their permission? if you took someone's picture without permission and they kicked your ass and smashed your camera, would you press charges?

By patrick on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

a right? no i don't think it's a right. At the same time i don't think anyone has the right to tell me what I can and can't photograph be it a person or physical object.

Smashing my camera and beating me up yes I would press charges, you bet i'd have a new camera after a lawsuit. Taking an image w/out permission is not equivilent to destruction of property or physcial harm.

Through intelligent discourse, if a stranger strongly opposed to the image i just took, I would either a)run b)give them my phone number and destroy that particular negative in front of them and call them an asshole for being so uptight about a photograph.

No one gets my negs without a fight, and if someone doesn't want their photograph taken i usually respect that. but if I took a picture, say a shot of a street scene and a passer-by demanded I take the film out right then and there and destroy it, they would be out of their mind to think I am gonna ruin the whole roll of film for their stupid ass and chances are I would have ran at that point.

One of my professors had this happened to him. Some bum slammed him against the wall after he took a picture that may or may not have indcluded him in it. After professing he was just a tourist the guy let go a bit and my teach ran. Thats the best option as far as I am concerned.

By _____ on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

interesting.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 04:13 pm:

strange, i made a post and it went away.

anyway. I have mastered the ability to take a strangers photo without them even knowing it. Especially here in Hollywood with all the tourists, i blend right in.Often, especially shooting street scenes or strangers on the street, people tend to stand tall, put on their best faces, and look directly at the camera when they see it pointed in their direction. They sidetrack your original intentions with vanity.

I can shoot all of my cameras from the hip and usually be pretty successful at it, with some planning ahead of time.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 04:23 pm:

ok dave, damnit. have you listend to my music?

i want some critisim, damnit. dave style.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 04:27 pm:

mark thomas is the master of taking pictures without being noticed. him and mary ellen mark.

i like to show dave my art, because it is so tortuous to him. he sort of squirms and says, "it's nice," but i know he's just saying that because he thinks that's what i want to hear. now, if he busted out with a critique of the composition or use of color or even subject matter, i would be really excited, but i would probably go into shock, as well.

By _____ on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 06:29 pm:

fine, nate. i'll check it. semillama, i'll post hank 3/melvins for you tonight. i don't want any of you others downloading it, though. it's just for semillama. i mean it.

is file size an issue for you?

By _____ on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 11:52 pm:

whether it is or isn't, i present 'the crybaby'

thank you. thank you. no really, thank YOU.

By _____ on Thursday, March 9, 2000 - 08:55 pm:

nate, you bastard, you made me pick up my phone.

do i detect a fake british accent?

By Nate on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 10:42 am:

it always fools me, too.

naw, that's just the way i sound. me and madonna, it's all natural.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact