Sent my boss this.... aka EEEEEEKKK!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Sent my boss this.... aka EEEEEEKKK!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:19 am:

Hi

I thought I should let you know that I have been offered another position, that is offering a pay increase of $3000 per year, plus time and a half for any hours over 40 I work.

While I love working at ******, and the people I work with,I have a few concerns that are making me seriously consider taking the position.

I currently feel that even with a part time Mac Operator, I will still have enough work to be unable to help ***** and *** with scheduling on a Wednesday/Thursday - I am already doing some a/c work - the sending out of advertisements is the account co-ordinators responsibility in Wellington, as is the loading of nzjobs. I am also concerned that I am expected to cover for *** when she goes on holiday on February, and during the days she doesn't work - and I honestly believe that ***** and I will not be able to cope.

I know the past four weeks have been extremely busy, and I know this could be attributed to a seasonal thing, but with ****** here to drum up new business I don't see the pace we are working at slowing.

In the last four weeks I have worked enough unpaid time to equal a week.

While I don't mind working an extra two to three hours per week, this is getting beyond manageable, and I don't think the work I do equals the salary I recieve.

Obviously we need to talk about this - perferably on Monday as I have until Wednesday to decide what I want to do.

eeeeeeeeeeeeek.

By m on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:20 am:

I dont know why the fuck I made everyone named *** but it looks pretty dontcha think?

By Hal on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:51 am:

Yes...

Damn I need to get out of this place...

AHHHHHHHHH.

By semillama on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 09:47 am:

Did you include the "eeeeeek" part?

It's good to stand up, especially when you have a good bargaining chip. If they do decide to let you go, demand that they write you a glowing letter of reference.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

my wife gave her resignation yesterday as well. Its a new beginning . All the tears, stomach aches, head aches and emotional blood she's spilt for the sukcok japanese.....she's finally leaving. She told them she leaves on the 9th and wi'll be available for contractual work....on a sale by sale basis for a commission.

By Nate on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

i hope you really have the other job offer.

letters like that aren't really good ideas. a good manager would let you go.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

yeah i was gonna say.....perhaps just cut to the chase.

it may not be a good idea to ever reveal actual dollar amounts.

It could possibly hurt you in the long run. What if he came back and offered $3500/year more. Would you stay? If so you manager might loose all respect you seeing that you are strictly a salary whore. Moreover, revealing the dollar amount could hinder you from getting more.

a general " I don't feel my work, salary and conditions are equal or in line. Im not happy, so for my own good I am moving on." A good manager will already be able to recognize that you are being overworked and possibly even underpaid.

If you want to address issues before you decide to leave, you should stick to issues, then at the conclusion decide to leave and tell them then you have another offer and are leaving.

Generally speaking the bargaining chip thing doesn't work. No manager likes the feel they are being held hostage.

good luck eitherway...Im sure you'll come out on top one way or another.

By moonit on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 01:41 am:

In Christchurch mac operators are rare because most advertising agencies are run out of Wellington and Auckland.

One week of last month we put through more advertising than our Wellington office who has 12 co-ordinators, two administrators, and five mac operators.

We have one mac op, two account co-ordinators, and no admin staff.

I am responsible for thousands of dollars worth of advertising appearing in national and international publications.

I set ads, type ads, check ads, make sure they've run properly, search papers for bd prospects, do accounts, filing, banking, get mail, send out ads via email, load jobs on our site, answer phones, take corrections, put together presentations, organise the a/c's, update documents for prospects, order stationery/alcohol/coffee/etc. If something happens with someones computer they ask me, if I cant fix it they ask me to call our IT guy....

I earn less than everyone else in the office.

Tomorrow is D-day.

I know what I want and if I don't get it I'm leaving.

By moonit on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 02:25 am:

Oh I forgot the media research and answering telephones.

I've got a friend who works for a rival firm, and they put out a salary review every year. She sent it to me the other day and I am $8000 underpaid a year.

By patrick on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

perhaps you should go freelance. Its sound like your knowledge is specialized and you could do it on a job by job basis.

You can't consume yourself with what others make....my wife beat herself up about this over the last 6 years, comparing herself to the Japanese men who were paid 6 figures from the home office, had their US house and bills paid for.

By moonit on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

I QUIT! hehe.

I am so freakin excited, I obviously made the right decision.

I'm getting two computers, an office with a window, a weekly paycheck (instead of monthly), four weeks holiday, and OVERTIME!

Yippppppieeee!

By Cat on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

Congrats Moonit mate. It was definitely time to move on and up.

By agatha on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 10:18 pm:

i'm so proud of you, moonie. that took a lot of guts. hopefully, your letter will assist the people you work with in their future at the company, or inspire them to tell the company to go fuck themselves. nate, patrick- i wholeheartedly disagree with both of your perspectives. just wanted to state that for the record.

By J on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 09:03 am:

Right on Moonit!!! Sticking with your New Years resolution is already paying off:) I'm so proud of you.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 11:49 am:

agatha, if my wife had done what moonit did...i.e. burn bridges....she would not be getting the 100s of thousands of dollars in sweater and fabric contracts shes negotiationg with her former employer as we speak. Basically, she's leaving the company pay roll, doing the same work, as she sees fit, and will do contractual work for the company, which means A)she will get more money B) she doesnt have to answer to her boss and calls the shots C) she gets the respect she deserves.

It sounded like moonit had a niche....the last thing she wants to do is burn a bridge where that niche could be applied to her benefit. Im not sure how you could disagree with that agatha.

The letter that moonit posted, in the grand scheme of things is unprofessional. Thats not to invalidate what moonit was complaining about, not at all.

Unfortuantely, they will most likely view moonit and her reasons for leaving as just bitchy. Squeeky wheel always gets the grease.

6 years ago, my wife, in similar situation (overworked, underpaid) I would have advocated the same damn thing moonit did. But she knew better and will now begin to take them to the cleaners. She's a "movie star" in the coporate moguls eyes, especially the big guys in Tokyo. She's walking out with more respect than ever. The reality is, moonit's eomployers most likely won't change their ways, and the next person behind her will be shoveled the same shit.

Bottom line, if moonit's happy, im happy.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 10:16 pm:

the letter was in no way unprofessional. it was honest, but not petty, and i think that she did a good job of pointing out what needed to change at the company. read it again. i can see where burning your bridges at a job is always bad, but i don't think that moonit did any such thing with that letter.

By moonit on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 02:45 am:

I am going to work for a supplier.

My current work will still be using that company.

That letter did not burn any bridges.

On our phone list, the only people that haven't left in the last four years are the managers (the people that own the company), and the older staff.

Christchurch has a lower staff turnover because we get to diversify and learn bits of each other jobs, but in the other offices what you do, is what you do. No exceptions.

Since I have resigned there are plans in place to organise another account co-ordinator, and two mac ops.

My boss has informed me several times that she will miss me, and burst into tears when she emailed the company to let them know I was leaving.

So they are fixing the problems that I've informed them of, and I am starting to realise that leaving is the best choice, as I'll be getting more experience in other areas of typesetting. Yay.

Burned my bridges I think NOT!

<soppy mode>
    Thanks for reading and letting me rant guys, and your support!
    </end soppy mode>

I am so freakin happy!

By NZA on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 03:11 am:

Congrats moonit - when do you start your new job?

I got a new job too - same firm, but no on call, and more money!

By Hal on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 10:25 am:

Going for a new job my self Mate... Its a move 300 some miles north of where I am now to a town called Missoula. But its worth getting out of this shit hole.

Congrats on the decision.

By R.C. on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 04:29 am:

Patrickins:

Glad to hear yr wife is finally getting out from under.

Crack open the champers & fuck like jackrabbits!

And best of luck to you @ yr new gig too, Moonit.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact