yesterday i rode MAX

sorabji.com: What have you done?: yesterday i rode MAX
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 06:25 am:

i got on the MAX at 2:15 pm at the cleveland station in gresham. sat down and began to knit. two stops later (gresham city hall) a boy, proabably a senior at gresham high, got on. black backpack; navy hawaiian print shirt; baby blue basball cap, turned backwards; acne.

he sat down, turned around and looked at me; he watched my hands.

every so often i'd catch him staring. it felt so strange, but once i managed to catch his eye before he turned to the window. i smiled.

so the rest of the ride (until he got off at is, mostly between 180th and 99th) we'd exchange secret glances, like kisses. i began to feel slightly insecure, why me? my face was shiny, my hair an oil slick in a ponytail, no makeup. it gave me the most wonderful feeling, that the magic's not in the makeup.

he got off at 99th, right before the train crossed I-205. i turned around and looked deep into his eyes, came thisclose to kissing him. then he got off and the train moved on.

i have no clue who he was. i probably couldn't pick him out in a crowd. but that boy wriggled his way into my very being without a single word.

By Dougie on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 10:53 am:

I had a similar experience in college while riding the 1 train in Manhattan. I was too much of a pussy to get up and go talk to her though, and when she got off the train, it was too late. I actually put an ad in the Village Voice ("Seeking woman on 1 train 5/19 5:30 pm wearing purple sweater, jeans etc. etc. We shared significant glances etc. etc.") Which if she ever saw that ad probably translated in her head as "Psychotic Serial Killer/Loser ISO woman on 1 train 5/19 5:30 pm wearing purple sweater, jeans etc. etc. for unspeakable acts of terror, torture and murder." Oh well, c'est la vie.

By pez on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 11:09 am:

you weren't the one holding knitting needles :)

it's funny how we make up excuses not to do stuff because we think noting will come of it. people are stupid that way.

dau after day i tr to pour out my being to share with others, but it's difficult. most people don't want to see the possibilities.

By Dougie on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

I could have been knitting on the train too, pez.

Actually, the grossest thing I think I ever witnessed, I was riding on the subway and a homeless guy got on the train and sat down on a bench, which after everyone cleared out because of his smell, he had to himself. He then proceeded to take off his shirt, and pull body lice off his body and put them on the seat. Once he had 6 or 7 wriggling on the seat, he pulled out a Bic lighter and started burning them. There was something so disturbing about that, I thought I was going to be sick.

By heather on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 12:32 pm:

i was waiting for a train once with a friend. he
    was over by the track looking at something and i
    sat by the wall.

i was just daydreaming when i felt an arm lightly
    around my shoulder.

assuming that it was my friend i slowly turned to
    say something.

i was kissed on the cheek.

as i realized that this was not my friend but a
    stranger, the man cart-wheeled away.

yes, i said, cart-wheeled away.

i shit you not.

By dave. on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

at best, women glare at me but the common response is they ignore me. men ignore me, too. if i do happen to catch anyone's eye, it's the look of a caribou watching a wolf move past the herd. sometimes i think it would be funny to just start charging them.

By Antigone on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

My cat's name is MAX

By Antigone on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

Heather, that man was Pan, the satyr god

By pez on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

i like/am afraid of the london subway. "mind the gap"

i don't use public trans much. if i lived in town where i could access it from home i'd use it more.

there can be some interesting people on the MAX if you're on at the right time. like the time my schnitz concert was the same day as a gay pride parade.

By Platypus on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 06:59 pm:

There's nothing wrong with minding the Gap.

My parrot's name is max.

By Cat on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 07:30 pm:

I know I've told this story before, but for those of you who missed it...I was on a train from Rome to Ostia once, and it was really crowded, and I felt someone constantly jostling me, so I looked down and...this guy was humping my leg. I hissed at him and he didn't even look embarrassed, just turned his engorged pants a few inches away.

I hate Italian men in Italy. Someone told me a lot of blonde women come down from Scandanavia to work as prostitutes in Italia, so they presume all fair women are fair game.

By pez on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 02:47 am:

that's a good reason as any to be a darkish norwiegian.

By amanda on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 03:04 pm:

pez. i had a similar experience a few years ago. i was driving my car in downtown and just got stuck at a stoplight, not because the light was red but because there were cars in the intersection and no one was getting through. i looked over and saw this man on a bench. he looked at me and i at him. then i looked away. when i looked back he was still looking. i looked away. then back. he looked away then back. this happened a few times. it was kind of like peek-a-boo. then the intersection cleared the light was green and i drove away.

however, we differ in that i didn't want to kiss him, but to sit down with him and play the game just a little bit longer.

By Hal on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

AMANDA... You've returned.

By cyst on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 10:16 pm:

are you the one who lives in boring or clackamas or somewhere, pez?

By pez on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:43 am:

yuppers.

By patrick on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 11:41 am:

since i've started taking the subway and bus lately...i too have attempted to engage in the cat mouse eyeballin game. although there is never really interesting that i have seen on the subway.

so I bring along Iceberg Slim books, and pretend im somewhere else.

"Mind the Gap"

is a hoot

the "DEEDODEEP STOP! DOORS DO REBOUND OR SPRING BACK. DEEDOODEEP"

in the atlanta airport is terribly amusing as well

By Nate on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

speaking of Iceberg Slim, i caught the mtv "cribs" view of ICE-T's hollywood hills house.

damn.

By patrick on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

his office used to be in the next suite over. I saw him once of twice in the ele.

i know he bought the rights to his books, but his intros are lame.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact