He posted about it

sorabji.com: What have you done?: He posted about it
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 11:42 pm:

A man sits in a coffee shop, writing at a table, alone. Across from him are two coffee cups, an empty chair. Moments ago a woman stood up, grasped his arm briefly, and said goodbye. He waited, reading a while, then tool out a big black journal to write, fresh with the emotion of their parting, hoping to capture the moment that, while gone, would stay in some corner of him, he thinks, until his death. Maybe writing this would make it no so.

It's probably not so, really, and besides, it's not the sentence he wanted to write anyway. He's writing in pen and got to "while gone" not knowing how to go on. So, to complete the sentence without scratching out too much, he fit something in which sounded good at the time.

Maybe something better would have been, "He writes in the hope that his emotions, now fresh and strong, flowing through him like some mountain of warm air, will somehow be preserved on that page to live again. He wishes that the woman had chosen to remain with him, to share his company, long enough to feel this warmth, this improbable and inexplicable love he has for her. But now he fears that the love he feels was for a phantom, for a woman that never actually was. And she, he suspects, is afraid of a man he never was, caught up in her own fears so much that she never actually saw him in those brief times they were together. So he mourns the dance of phantoms, of his love and her fear, of his beliefs about her, and her beliefs about him. (Or, at least, what he believes are her beliefs.) So, maybe that's why he writes in the third person, enclosed in quotes, of a narrative he should have written, but didn't"

By Antigone on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 11:57 pm:

Then he drives home, across the concrete plain of the city, among the lives and souls of millions of people he'll never meet. He enteres his dark house, sets down his gym bag and trombone, and immediately turns on his laptop computer. He types out the journal entry on the screen, editing it in places, noting the run on sentences but kept them in, (an artistic choice, to be sure...) and mentally notes how much he calmed down in the course of typing it all out. The fever was quickly gone, as it so often happens with him, in the quiet act of describing and recording.

Just wait, he thinks. It will return.

The urge tell someone, here in the present and not in the indefinable future of his journal, is too strong. On this board, among the lives and souls of people he'll never meet, at least he knows where he stands. Here, he can dance with phantoms, and not mourn as much.

By heather on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:03 am:

. . .

By agatha on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 02:24 am:

(keep going)

By Czarina on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 10:30 am:

Its all about loosing.Something we don't like to talk about,or think about.

But sooner or later,that loosing boogy man will sneak up on you.

Its all about risk,and happiness.

I believe with all my heart,you cant't reach that highest level of happiness,unless you risk total annihilation.

But the down side of that,is,that, occasionally,you will be annihilated.

But in the wee wee hours,when nobody's around,we can admit to ourselves:

I'm not that strong,I'm not that brave.Sometimes I think,that I won't make another day.

Since you've been gone,all I ever seem to do is cry.

Oh,yes I cry,I'm not ashamed,sometimes it only takes the mention of your name,to set me off,to wondering if my eyes will ever dry.

Here comes the dawn again,no sleep last night again.I cried from midnight straight through to daylight.Here comes the dawn again.

B.Vera "Here Comes The Dawn Again"

I'm sorry,'Tiggy.I know what it feels like.

By patrick on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 11:24 am:

i think im going to a Kings/Thrashers game for my birthday tomorrow! Its a surprise but the time, and the giver fit the bill.

WAHOOO!!!

they'll probably loose, speaking of loses.

they've been sucky these days...the kings that is.

By Nate on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 11:36 am:

nice, patty.

By wisper on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 11:59 am:

happy birthday

By patrick on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

yeah then were going to this bombshell blonde's house (she works for the playboy channel) for a party. shes an aquaintence of mine, and her birthday happens to be tomorrow as well. last year she had an underwear party to give you an idea where shes coming from.

thats even more nice.

By agatha on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

(patrick, you're being a little insensitive right now)

By patrick on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

(maybe so, but in all honesty agatha i don't really care.)

sorry antigone, please continue....

By droopy on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

just don't fuck up the 'tigsters flow, dickhead. i likes it when sorabjites get literary.

By patrick on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

considering it was written last night, i doubt i can be blamed for messing with anyone's flow.

and if my banter messes with anyone's flow, perhaps im being given more credit than im due.

i dont have much regard these days, theres nothing anyone can say that can really bring me any lower...so ill step for a bit before i piss anyone else off.

continue your flow 'tigster

By Czarina on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

Well,I think its evident,that someone here is crying out for attention.

Patrick,you are very important to all of us.We've all been able to tell,from your recent posts,that things aren't going well for you right now.

We have room for everyone's problems here.If you want to share with us,we'll all listen,and some/most of us will even have advice to offer.At the very least,we will be supportive of you,and your troubles.

:)

By Margret on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

I like the phantom bit a great deal. It's evocative. Asian ghosts are hugry; I wonder if that's because memories are hungry.

By Antigone on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

No flow no mo'.
    It come and it go.
    See, I needs to be sufferin' so
    that it causes me to blow.
    But now the feelin's too slow.
    I just gotta wallow.

And, that's all right, patrick, yo.
    I know you's a ho.

By Czarina on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

Oh,dear God.A relationship gone awry,has turned him into a dreadful poet.

Wheres the humanity?

By Spiderlicious on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

You doin ho activites
    with ho tendencies
    Hoes are your friends
    Hoes are your enemies
    With ho energy to do what you do
    blew what you blew
    screw what you screw
    ho-tel e'rybody
    even the mayor
    reach up in the sky
    to the ho-zone layer
    'cuz you's a hooooooooooo
    you's a hooooooooo
    you's a hoooooooo
    I said that you'z a hooo

Name that song!

By Dougie on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

Isn't that what Henry Higgins sang to Liza Doolittle in My Fair Lady? Yeah, I think it is. The Ho Song. Act I, Scene II.

By droopy on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

you know the most ludicrous songs, spider

By Chupacabra on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 12:34 am:

CHUPACABRA!

By Bulbasaur on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 01:05 am:

bulbasaur!

By Hal on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 04:39 am:

I was wondering when good ole chupa would return, tis been a while, was getting a little quite around here.

Although I'm not quite sure about this bulbasaur person, just does have the flair of our faithfull Chupacabra.

By Antigone on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 02:30 am:

Just an update...

I went to a poetry reading at my favorite coffee bar (Insomnia's in Deep Ellum here in Dallas) and read the first two posts on this thread. Then I did a little extemporaneous bit about why I wrote it, who I was talking to when I did, and what I thought about poetry.

Part one (the first post) I called "in the moment."

Part two (the second post) I called "posted to a chat board."

Part three I called "right now" and went kinda like this:

"I thought of coming there and reading because, a few months before, me and the young lady from the first part had stumbled on the poetry group here, and stayed to listen. Afterwards I recited her a poem I'd written about mountains in the desert, fractals, living shadows, stuff like that. While I was speaking it, I realized that all poetry I'd ever written, no matter what it was about, it was really about love: love of words, love of life, love of experiencing and describing.

So, what was this love I had described? And why did it still feel incomplete?

Apart from the obvious, I realized that the piece wasn't just about what it was about. It was incomplete because it's audience was incomplete. In the first part I'd written to someone I knew, but in an indefinable future, like all of my journal entries. The second part I'd written to people I knew but hadn't met in the flesh. [...a little dramatic license, there. :P ] So here I am, talking to people I've met, but don't know for shit!

Each audience I talk to has something missing, but they're all related. And each part talks about the ones before, because the writing was part of the living. And now the writing is the living, because I'm making this up as I go along. I'm also nervous as hell!

And I'm not sure how to end this, but it has to be something self referential, so I guess this is it."

It was probably a tad more incoherant, but that was what I remember. :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact