Gone to the weirdest job interview ever......

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Gone to the weirdest job interview ever......
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

I got a call from a company called "In Home Senior Care". It's a non-medical facility, but a step in the right direction until I can get into nursing school. The money was pretty lame (like $6.00 to $6.35 per hour depending on your tasks)but I really didn't care. They asked me to come in at 1pm yesterday. I was still pretty excited when I left.

I got there and filled out the paperwork, and they put me in an office with the lady who called me. She went over the next step of the hiring process. There is an orientation today, that is supposed to explain everything and answer all questions and then a private meeting with the "Hiring Manager". You need to become bonded. There is a drug screening. (These things sounded normal to me). They also require some genetic testing and DNA stuff (I am not clear on what that is because it doesn't sound like testing but rather they have your DNA samples on file) and they require all of your car and car insurance information (and this is not a service where you are driving them anywhere).

I left with my high on working with seniors gone, not because I didn't get the job, because I did very well and it looks like that is in the bag, it should be offered to me this afternoon. I felt very uncomfortable. I don't really know how to describe the feeling to most of you, but maybe some parents would understand. It was like the feeling when you are at the pool and your gut tells you something is wrong and the next thing you know your baby jumped in the six foot section of the pool and went under and you know that child can't swim. That is the closest I can describe to the feeling I had.

The building itself was old, but looked in very good repair, but the office was BEAT UP. It looked like no one had done anything to the place is 30 years. The people in the office were friendly but none of them looked even slightly professional. All of them were poorly dressed (not in quality of clothes but rather care of them). Nice clothes all wrinkled and just in poor condition. No cosmetics, or anything, poorly groomed all around. Their copy machine wasn't working and it was easy to fix but they didn't have the supplies to do it and no one was going to spend $3 of their own money at Wal-Mart to get what was needed.

And what is this genetic testing and DNA stuff all about? This really made me nervous. I don't understand any of it.

Our job duties would be things like helping an elderly person in a walker move about, maybe help them getting dressed, cook meals, housekeeping, things like that. Helping them do what they could and then doing what they are unable to for them. Just help them. I can understand being bonded, or checking backgrounds for police records (they even had a whole page of questions about past traffic tickets and shit like that) or drug screenings. But this genetic testing and DNA shit doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I know there are some of you out there who work in the medical field or know something of elderly care. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. It just seems weird to me.

By heather on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

they plan to take the essence of your youth to 'help' the old people. it's classic science fiction, really.

but i do know the feeling. the feeling means stay away, $6 is not worth creepiness. trust your instincts starting with you 'got a call from THEM'

By spunky on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

Eri,
    I don't want you working for them, they already freak me out. Anyone who starts talking about dna samples/genetics testing etc on the very first interview scares me. We don't need the 6 dollars an hour that badly

By Erasmus on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 04:45 pm:

I once took a drug test for a job that was a great jump up in pay and position (it was just a BS corporate manager job, not flying planes or running a nuclear power plant or something). I still feel pissed off five years later, and have sworn never to violate myself again for some fucking company.

RUN AWAY from these people. Your gut is right. I used to be in the national security community and even when I applied to the CIA, they never took DNA samples, for fuck's sake. I wouldn't let anyone do these things to me for $60/hour, much less putting up with the stress of elder care for $6/hour.

I don't know what things are like in your area, but here, McDonald's pays more than that to start, and raises come quickly if you stick around more than two weeks, speak reasonable English, and are more competent than your average lobotomized bear.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

whoareyou? VA

By eri on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 06:13 pm:

O.K. so I went back today to check this out more. The receptionist didn't even know that there was an orientation/interview today. I told her why I was there and she was like confused or something. Then there are two other girls waiting and so she pulls us in a room. Then this teenage looking pregnant girl walks in and starts a video. It was a condescending piece of crap. I hate shit that talks down to you like you are too fucking stupid to know to call a stranger Mrs. Smith. Give me a fucking break. Then we sit there for like a half of an hour. Then the teenage pregnant chick comes in and introduces herself as the hiring manager and talks forever about more condescending crap. Then we get to take a quiz and fill out our W4's and I9's. Then we get a one on one interview, right? So I am second and the girl sits me down and says "Give me your drivers license and social security card" I say "You already have a copy of it". She says "You must be Erin Hixon" I say "Yes and I have some serious reservations" "What" "In the application about genetic testing and DNA" "Where" "Here, it says that I have the right to refuse genetic testing, DNA sampling, HIV/AIDS testing and on and on and on. Why would you say I have the right to refuse it if you didn't do it?" "Oh, that just says that we can't discriminate against people with down's syndrome. Have a nice day, I will call you with an available shift once your police screening has been done".

I left. WTF ever. The hiring manager was too damned stupid to comprehend what was in the applications she was giving out. Give me a fucking break.

On top of that I would have to go through two more condescending training classes before I got into the real training. Most of the patients/clients are suffering from dimensia, and I am expected to feed the entire family and clean for the entire family and take them to the doctor's appointments and drive way out to fucking Buerne which is halfway to Austin on a daily basis. Fuck that for $6 an hour.

By heather on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

plus they'll be hard top find with all that dimensia. third, fourth, who knows really?

By Nate on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

in n out burger pays well.

By Platypus on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

It may be required in your state to put the thing in about refusing dna/aids testing. I seem to recall seeing something like that on the forms I filled out to be an in-home care provider. I wouldn't worry about that so much as the sinking feeling in your gut.

I hear airports are always looking for people to wave those light sticks around and guide planes.

By spunky on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 09:28 pm:

in n out burgers have always made me sick.
    a shame too, they actually cut their own fries.
    I do believe that I have heard rumors going around about the dna testing thing.
    Employers will be handling it like a drug test.
    There are lobiests fighting it, because they feel the employer will use the tests to screen for health problems that could either cost the company's health insurance company or for the employer.
    I still say the thing sounds wrong

By patrick on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:41 am:

airports are looking for all kinds of employees. especially competent screeners. the cleaned house and need people bad. hey eri it could be your contribution to the war on terror.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

eri,

If you'ld like to do that sort of thing you can come to Maryland and take care of my wife.

We can't pay you.

But, she does not suffer from dimentia. Just MS.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:09 am:

Old people poop alot. Really alot.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 01:11 am:

DNA testing is a lot of poop too. Run.

By sarah on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

yeah really. sounds more like you're about to get set up to take the fall for someone else's felony than get a job. do what daniel says: run.

By eri on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 11:01 pm:

They called me again today (I am wondering how they got me bonded and insured and did my background check in under 48 hours). They wanted me to do a job on Monday afternoon. I told them I wouldn't do it. The whole thing just feels wrong.

After talking to a friend of mine who did this for about 5 years I discovered that since it is a "non-medical" company the families of these elderly are paying for this out of their own pockets and are paying at least $12 per hour. I don't believe in ripping off the families and more than a 50% mark up is just that. I could just see it now. "Hi, I am Eri, your mothers new caregiver during the afternoon. Here is your jar of Vaseline because you are getting screwed."

Working at an airport.....ha ha ha. But seriously, they wouldn't be able to give me the hours I need, since Hayley starts summer school on Wednesday. It fucks up my whole day. With her schedule I can only work from 2-6.

We'll see what happens this fall. Maybe I will get a job as a Vegas showgirl........

By The Watcher on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 02:00 pm:

I'm having a vission.

This is not good at work. I'll have to check in later when I'm home.

By heather on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

the first place i worked i got 11 dollars and hour and they billed clients 75

it's not that unusual.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

i get billed at $265/hr and they only pay me $5.75/hr.

the actual cost of an employee is probably 1.5 to 2 times their salary/wage. when you factor in all the costs the profit margin is likely not 50%.

By TBone on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

It costs a lot of money to keep running all these checks and giving all these interviews and doing all the DNA tests on people who bail at the last minute. Tease.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact