I saw Elvis Costello!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: I saw Elvis Costello!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 08:46 am:

J and Margret! I saw him on Saturday night in Philly!

He was fabulous. He played for 2.5 hours. 3 encores. He played an even mix between songs off of his new album and old classics (Alison, Beyond Belief, Pump It Up, What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding?, Watching the Detectives, and others I can't remember.) His voice was great, he joked a lot with the audience, the audience was really enthusiastic...

The highlight, though, was that he ended the show with I Want You. !!! It was awesome. It was stripped down to bare instrumentalization, the stage was barely lit in dark purple with just his face illuminated in yellow (neat effect), he had such passion in his singing...it was great.

The only bad thing was that we were in the very back row of the balcony, but the Tower isn't that large of a theatre so you could still see the stage pretty well. I counted at least 30 people (men and women) in the audience who were trying to look like him, and I saw a lot of people my age with their parents. Funny.

I had such a good time!

By J on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 02:36 pm:

Score Spider, I'm jealous:) I entered a contest to see him in Europe,not that I'm holding my breath to see if I won. He really does put his heart in his preformance.

By Spider on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

How many times have you seen him, J? At least twice, right?

After he gets back from Europe, he's playing two dates in New York in October. I just might have to go see him again.

Now if only Tom Waits would tour...

By heather on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

see spider, if you'd finally agree to meet me we could drive around till we found his house and drive by again slowly and laugh and then stop at a bar on the way home, bump into him, tell him our stalker for a day story and all become fast friends

me and you and tom waits

By patrick on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 03:41 pm:

that reminds me.....someone played a joke on us.

friday driving on a random hillside street crammed with houses...my friend from out of town blurted out "Oh my god there was a naked woman meditating on her porch. how california!" naturally i slammed on the brakes and did a uturn.

Approaching the house again....we realize its a very real mannequin in a nude outfit sitting in a very obvious place. We speculated they put it in this location as a practical joke....getting kicks everytime a car slams on the breaks and does a turn around.

Would you have done a u turn?

By semillama on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

nah.

maybe if it was the Midwest.

Elvis played here recently, and according to
    one person who went, the crowd was terrible.
    a bunch of middle aged yahoos who kept
    yelling at the kids to sit down and stop yelling.
    I'm glad I didn't go, it seems to me that the
    performance space (brand new) is a yuppie
    magnet.

By Spider on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

Man, that sucks, Sem! The crowd in Philly loved him, and that enhanced the experience. They sang along when he prompted them, and danced (even the 60+ year-old man in front of me), and cheered loudly and with joy.....the only time they were annoying was when some people yelled "We want you!" and "Declan, we love you!" during I Want You. That song is sacred, dammit -- show some respect.

Let me thank J and Margret for inspiring me to buy Blood and Chocolate a few years ago.

By patrick on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 04:50 pm:

i finally got off my ass and bought Blood Money. I didnt get Alice yet, but im totally diggin this one.

By sarah on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:26 pm:

if i ever meet elvis costello i would faint. did anyone see that special he did on TV not too long ago? fuckface was kind enough for once to have the tivo pull it down so i could watch it. elvis is dreamy. his new record is a classic. i am very jealous spider. also, i didn't know you were in philly!

By Margret on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:36 pm:

i am jealous. i entered the same contest as j. my new favorite song off the new album is 'tart', but i like both dusts. he's a fantastic, taut vocalist.

By heather on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 02:34 am:

i saw elvis costello and maybe. . . 10,000 maniacs?

weird

so long ago

i am so old

By semillama on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 03:44 pm:

I jsut read a drink with Shane Macgowan and he talks about how Elvis Costello put up with all sorts of crap from the Pogues since he was all goo-ggo eyed over their bassist.

He also said they blew Costello off the stage every night, which is within the realm of the plausible.

He also recoutned how the bassist, Cait O'Riordan (who later married Costello) kicked Matt Dillon in the balls and he fell down a couple flights of stairs.

By patrick on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 11:44 am:

10,000 Maniacs? oyyyyy veyyyyy

not that this means anything anymore but years ago...i avoided any girl that considered herself a fan of them/Natalie Merchant.

usually those girls had no sense of humor whatsoever...and took themselves way too seriously.

By Spider on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

I like Dust 2 better than Dust...it's noisier and more fun. I think My Little Blue Window is an incredibly sweet little song, and I don't like Dissolve.

By Spider on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

PS. I'm still in DC, but I travelled to Philly to see him. He played in Virginia a week before the Philly show, and I missed him then.

By J on Tuesday, July 2, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

Come to think of it Spider,you might like The Juliet Letters with Elvis and the Brodsky Quartet.This reminded me of how pissed of I am that I lost my napster files,I had some so with Elvis and Tom Waits,Elvis and Paul McCartney,Elvis and Gwen Steffi,etc.Rare stuff,though I do know that Elvis is against Napster and anything like it,he says it's stealing.

By sarah on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

btw, did i ever tell you guys that i saw elvis costello at the backyard this summer? i ended up going alone (got stood up) and then ended up scoring a front row ticket for the price of gen admission.

he was absolutely sublime. deep dark truthful mirror melted my brain.

By J on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

He's getting a divorce,say's they just grew apart.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

whoa! maybe i have a chance! anyone know how to contact him?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact