Went to the Zoo

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Went to the Zoo
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:16 pm:

So, I went to the zoo today.

It was really depressing. All the animals look so scruffy. Sad. I thought about how they sit in those enclosures all day being stared at and felt guilty. Even though they have some of them for breeding, to preserve endangered species.

I felt sort of slimy. I mean, I wouldn't want to be put in a cage and stared at. What makes it ok for me to pay to see people put in cages?

By J on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:00 am:

Where do you pay to see people put in cages? You got a deal with a prison guard?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 09:11 am:

Ha!

By eri on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:24 am:

We went to the Kansas City Zoo for a birthday party (one of Hayley's friends). It was a joke and very depressing. All they had were a few birds, a couple of tree monkeys some camels some cows and some chickens. Literally. And some seals, but they looked awful. The zoo is losing it's accreditation and will lose it's funding.

There weren't any endangered species there and very little educational content. It was very sad.

If you are in the mid-west you don't need a zoo to see chickens and cows.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:47 am:

i have found aquariums much more rewarding. Seaworld and the one in Monterrey in particular.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:53 am:

Out near me, they combine an aquarium and a zoo to achieve the best possible from both worlds. It's hysterical when they force the zebras and the gorillas and the lions to swim in the big shark tank at feeding time.

By eri on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

The Monterey Bay Aquarium rocks. We will be going to Sea World next month, when my parents come out to visit.

I haven't been to the zoo out here. Just haven't really been interested. I guess that's pretty sad.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

Dammit, now I have that stupid song going around in my head,

"We're all going to the zoo, zoo, zoo,
    How about you, you, you."

For what it's worth, the New York Aquarium in Coney Island's pretty awesome. The beluga whales there are beautiful. They make nice caviar too. Check it out at nyaquarium.com

By Platypus on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

The montery bay aquarium is quite excellent.

The SF zoo has farm animals too, in the children's zoo--horses, cows, goats, sheep chickens. Strange.

They also let some animals just sort of wander around (peacocks, and some other birds).

The coolest part is the feline conservation centre.

But still, zoos are depressing.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

The Baltimore Aquarium is nice. I like it much better than the Washington Zoo. The Philadelphia Zoo is pretty cool, but zoos (to me, anyway) seem to be things you enjoy more when you're little. I get too annoyed at the big slow crowds and the bears that have the gall to go to sleep in their caves when I'm there to see them. Dammit!

By agatha on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

i think some zoos are far less depressing than others. the thing that embarrasses me is seeing some of the people tormenting the animals, while being totally ignorant of the fact that they are even doing anything wrong.

By pez on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:10 pm:

i went to the monterey aquarium when i was eight and it was nice. they had a skate swimming in a shallow pool so you could reach out and touch its' fins.

i went to the newport aquarium when they had keiko there. it's an excellent aquarium but monterey is better, especially now with the whale gone to greenland.

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 12:19 am:

Yes, agatha, it's true. The zoogoing public is abysmally stupid. People throw things into the exhibits and bang the wires and all kinds of wierd stuff. The polar bear was great--he shuffled into his little cave and stuck his butt out into the public, so all people got was a big shot of bear ass.

A whale was beached somewhere around here recently. I read about it in the chronicle this morning. A female blue whale.

Whales are big.

Really big.

By moonit on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 04:05 am:

We have a safari park here, called Orana Park. It rocks, but theres no tigers. We've also got willowbank which is like a huge petting zoo of farmyard animals and a kiwi house and bird scantuary.

By J on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 05:37 am:

I'll never forget taking my kids to the Phoenix zoo and how hysterical we all got when the gorilla started slinging gorilla shit,I was rolling on the ground busting my guts.Did I say guts? I meant nuts.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

yeah, zoos are depressing. Yellowstone had the feel of a giant zoo, with all the tourists, but at least there's an attempt to keep it a natural habitat. when bears get habituated they shoot them so they wont attack people for food.

yeah. whales are big. thats sad.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact