Taken anti-depressants

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Taken anti-depressants
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:16 am:

Somewhere on these boards I have arrogantly argued against anti-depressants.

I am now eating my words. Or swallowing them to be precise. Zoloft to be brand precise.

And I want to apologise to anyone I made feel bad about relying on drugs to reinstall your sanity.

When you can't get out of bed because of the weight of the sadness and you have the guts to get some help, you're braver than I've ever been.

By semillama on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:04 am:

Cat, I hope they help. I don't like thinking of
    you all sad and such. Please come around
    and chat. I know when I was feeling really
    down, this place helped a lot. Of ocurse, i
    realize that this place also has a much
    different connotation for you...

By sarah on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:17 am:

it may have been me, but i honestly don't remember... i'm just guessing since i did go public about the prozac. but you don't need to apologize. it really helped me when i needed it too, and the good news it, there eventually comes a time when you don't need it anymore because you remember how to access happiness again.

i think depression is basically your brain forgetting its neurological pathways to happiness and the right drugs can help it reinstall the memory of those pathways.

anyway. good for you and hang in there Cat. it *does* get better. (at least that's what they tell me :)

By kazoointoit on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:45 am:

Cat,

You just admitted you were wrong. You're braver than a lot of people I've ever known : )

I tried for years to stay off medication. But everything that I tried to help myself just contributed to everything that I was doing to destroy myself. First it was Prozac. Then there was a long break. Now it's Wellbutrin, the pill that looks like a purple smiling cyclops.

Anyway, no one believes more strongly than I do that Americans are over-medicated. I rant about it quite a bit. But that doesn't change the fact that for some, there is really nothing else to do.

Stay strong girl! And write to me if you want any advice. Eighteen years of therapy (off and on) and five years of pills (off and on) can't be wrong....

By Kazoo again on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:51 am:

p.s. and I have a feeling you weren't probably weren't *wrong* but damn if you're not brave.

By Platypus on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:34 am:

Hang in there, cat. We love you. Well, I love you.

Sometimes those little pills can help.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:47 am:

Although I don't presume to speak for others, I would daresay the "we" is correct, Platypus.

By J on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 11:14 am:

Indubitability !

By patrick on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:49 pm:

i admit i don't know what to say.

im not good at these things.

im with kazoo on the bravery part.

i've learned its never as bad as it seems. our eyes and hearts betray our minds too often.

By Antigone on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

Hey, Cat.

Glad to se you're getting some help. :)

And, remember, it's better to eat your words than huge donkey cock.

By patrick on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

"And, remember, it's better to eat your words than huge donkey cock."

you KNOW this from experience?

By Cat on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 04:58 pm:

Oh please Pantiphone. Nothing says happiness like huge donkey cock.

Thanks all. Really. I miss you.

By Cat on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

I check in on you all almost every day, you know.

By sassy on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 05:15 pm:

well no, how would we know that?

By dave. on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 05:39 pm:

how was french indochina?

By Cat on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:17 pm:

Dear Sassy, I will smack you. Incidentally it appears I have S & M tendencies.

By Cat on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

Dave. Fat Ho City was loverly. Except it's bloody capitalist now. All the shops have prices in US dollars. You'd never know you blokes lost the war. Except when you go to the war museum. It's kinda interesting to see how we were the bad guys. Especially after 9/11.

By sassy on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:23 pm:

Dear cat,

I look forward to it.

love,
    sassy

By spunky on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:34 pm:

I wish I had some anti depressants

By Kalliope on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

I was actually talking to someone about this the other day. I used to be of the opinion that drugs weren't a way to solve problems. We should totally be strong enough to do it ourselves right? A bit ignorant of me, methinks. I've always had a bit of an idealistic perspective and the older I'm getting the more it changes. Less idealistic, more realistic. Truth is, you admitting that you need the pills to make you feel better is a hell of a lot braver than most of these stupid cunts out there who think drawing attention to themselves and playing off other peoples sympathies instead of taking a stand individually to make themselves better. We can't always be perfect, but we always have our friends around. Thing is though, if you don't wanna feel better and pull yourself out of rough stuff, then there's no way anyone else is gonna do it for you. No matter how many friends you have.

Yer brave Cat. I respect that. Completely. Good luck and it sounds like you have a lot of people to help hold yer hands while you pull yourself up too.

By patrick on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:51 pm:

im taking a stand kalli.

in my experience, a double dose of good muscle relaxers makes me a lot happier than zoloft and the like any day of the week.

By Kalliope on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 07:20 pm:

yea and a couple shots of tequilla and a hot ass makes me happy too but not everyone finds joy in the same stuff toots.

By semillama on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

Sounds more to me like you're taking a SEAT,
    patrick.

By eri on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:46 pm:

My doctor put me on Zoloft the day that my Grandmother died. I hated to admit that I actually needed medication to get back to where and who I needed to be, but it was true.

I wasn't on it all that long when I realized that I felt really good, and was able to handle the whole situation. I looked as Spunky kinda shocked and he said I had needed them for a long time.

I only needed them for less than a month, and I am just now getting a little low, starting to have days where I am just not happy, but not near any kind of depression yet.

I hope that these little pills work for you as they did for me. I hope you will be able to be happy without them in the near future.

I am not for taking pills to make you happy, but sometimes we all need help, and I hope this gives you the help that you need.

By kazoointoit on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 12:33 am:

The only time anti-depressants made me *happy* was when the Wellbutrin first kicked in and I had a very slight manic episode. I felt kind of high and all I wanted to do was talk, and I don't mean, "open up" and talk, but just find someone and chatter away. To be honest, it was kind of fun, but I knew that if that lasted I'd have to tell my doctor. It didn't last.

For me, depression isn't really about negative emotions. With anger and sadness I usually felt a sense of release. There were days that would have done anything just to feel sad because it would have been better than that numbness, that void, and that helpless feeling of being completely disconnected.

And it does get better, and there are still the inevitable ups and downs that go with any kind of healing process...they don't last either, so don't be discouraged.

By Nate on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:51 am:

the numbness, the void-- disconnected isn't all that bad if you accept your helplessness.

my observation, not judgement.

By Cat on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 10:43 am:

I'd welcome some numbness. Bring it on.

At one stage when I was really down, I sat there and stuck pins in myself just to have a good reason to cry. A pin pity party.

By dave. on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:39 am:

sounds you need something more like an anti-dramatic than an anti-depressant. marijuana, perhaps.

By Kalliope on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

there's a reason we all go through depression..to remind us how good it is to be up when we're up. it's necessary. it's all necessary.

By semillama on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 05:06 pm:

No it isn't. that's ridiculous. What about people
    who are suicidally depressed? Is it necessary
    for them to kill themselves? Is it necessary for
    homicidal maniacs to go on kill-spree
    rampages in playgrounds?

Maybe some depression, the "normal" non-
    clinical kind, is natural, if that's what you mean
    by necessary. But all depression? No.

By Cat on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 06:29 pm:

Shut up Dave or I'm not inviting you to my pity party. And there will be party favours.

By Kalliope on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 07:00 pm:

not all depression semmy...but general depression yes...you have to be down to get back up i think..or to appreciate being up. i'm just about over a pretty long slump. there were times a few months ago where i seriously fantasized just quitting all this shit. i cant even beging to explain how goo it feels to start seeing bright sides again. y'know?

By dave. on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 02:14 am:

ah, you're letting me off easy. if you truly wanted to punish me, you'd invite me.

thanks and mwa!

By Cat on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:37 am:

You're going to miss all the pin-the-bill on the insurance man games. But whatever.

By Cat on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 05:30 am:

Dudes, I feel sooo much better since I posted my little blurt at the top. Confession is great.

Now, about all the anal sex with random rabid baboons....:D

By Lovely on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:46 am:

i want see donkey cock photos

By Lovely on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:48 am:

donkey cock photos plesssssssss

By HORSE DICKS on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:52 am:

LOVELY, GO TO THE ZOO, SO THAT YOU CAN SEE DONKEY COCK FOR REAL.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact