scored a house

sorabji.com: What have you done?: scored a house
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Im confident the next few weeks will be my last in apartment living. I hope anyway.

we found a house. like the rest of our lives, it happened in a flash and now its fullsteam ahead.

its a half mile from where we live now so we are still in the same great neighborhood.

its a 2 bedroom spanish colonial, with stucco walls and exposed beams and a slightly vaulted ceiling.

brand new hardwoods and a super mod decco styled bathroom from the previous tenent, who was a set designer (i.e. crafty and stylish as hell).
    the kicker about this place is the private fenced in backyard and the two car/office garage in the back. its old school style, the drive way down the side of the house, a gate at the driveway so the entire garage and backyard are secure. the two car garage has these elaborate shelves set up, for the serious handyman i hope to become and the seperate office/room next attached is a near-functioning darkroom from the original owner some 20+ years ago. Thats what sold it for me. Running water, sinks and cabinetry are some of the hardest aspects to creating a darkroom. Once those are inplace, its a matter of buying the equipment.

Further, the ultra sylish previous tenent built a brick pit grill and a circumventing bench around the large oak tree in the back (i.e. he entertained).

We found this place, rather luckily, Friday. A friend spied it, driving by, called and made an appointment for us. The rental, $1500/month is about $500-700 below market value so we jumped. Property doesnt stay open long where we live, muchless below market value. We went over friday, dropped a check and apps right away. The two gay men who live across the street own the place and we're super impressed and comforted with us as tenents. A small family, fashion designer, employee for the largest gay news magazine in the world, international travelers etc etc etc. Last night signing the lease, they busted out a bottle of wine and toasted! When was the last time your landlord did that!?

We were so excited and confident we'd get the place on Friday, i stopped at the liquor store at the end of the block to meet my new liquor store clerk. His name is Manny. He was collecting donations for his nephew that was shot in the head "mistakenly" by gangs. I chipped in a dollar. Though I can only speak of the places I know of, in my hood, I was glad to see Manny, as opposed to the Korean racket that owns liquor stores in the area who will gouge you at the drop of a dime (and take said dime as tax).

The only slight drawback are the bars on the windows. I admit it looks less tacky since it is colonial spanish design, youd almost mistake them for being a part the decor. BUT the plus side is, I can keep the windows open at all times during the summer and not worry.

*looks at watch*

ok. Im done.

GOOD BYE APARTMENT LIFE!!!!!!!

By Apartment Life on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

Good bye, Patrick

By Dougie on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

Just kidding. Sounds pretty groovy, Patrick. Congrats!

By trace on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

congrats patrick. I hope to join the ranks of a home owner someday. I am glad to see you have.

By patrick on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 03:11 pm:

not owning, leasing, as i said.

though the idea of lease to own is in the back of our minds its too early to discuss such an option with the owner.

By trace on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

sorry I guess I missed that part.
    But a house rocks so much more then an apartment.
    We had one in KC. I miss it

By agatha on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

it sounds marvelous. congratulations.

By Gee on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

can I stay over?

can I bring friends?

can we never leave?

By trace on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

Once the baby starts crying at 2 am then 230, then 3, then 330 and so on and so forth, you may want to leave....

By Nate on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

gee can be the wet nurse.

i've seen her. she could do it.

By agatha on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

eew.

By patrick on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

gee.

yes. no. no.

thanks guys.

we're pretty excited.

the real bitch is packing everything up, and essentially moving all by myself

By Gee on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

can I bring Faye? you'd love her.

she can make funny faces and teach you how to swear in Greek.

what does a wet nurse look like?

By patrick on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 07:21 pm:

oui!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact