got a bad case of summer fever!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: got a bad case of summer fever!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

The weather here has again been amazing and I haven't had to use the heater or air conditioner all week. It's clear and sunny and beautiful out and I want to do all of the normal things I did last summer.

I went tanning. I went out to the pool which looks so very inviting, but they chained all of the entrances to all of the pools up. Ugh.

I want to spend a day poolside drinking beer and swimming and listening to good music and worrying about my tan (which is nonexistent right now).

Last summer was the best summer I ever had and I totally have that feeling and am ready to start it all over again. Damned idiots locking me out of the pool. Ugh.

By kazoo on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

Today was 70, balmy with a little sun.

I'm starting to remember why I wanted to come here.

By Platypus on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:58 pm:

It's pouring down rain.

By dave. on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:59 am:

i'm cold and wet
    can't you hear what i'm sayin to you?
    cold and wet
    it's the message i'm conveying to you:
    how many times do i has to tell you that i'm cold and wet?

By semillama on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:37 am:

It's snowing more here! Yay!

For the second time since I have lived in Ohio, I had to shovel my driveway. It's my neighbors turn, btw.

By patrick on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:33 pm:

its been raining here for most of the week.

however, as i look outside, it appears the clouds are starting to break for some blue skies and sunshine. finally. 4 days of overcast and rain can drive an Angelino to suicide.

this is also good, because we are expecting a healthy crowd this afternoon and i dont know if my humble home can cram 40+ people in it.

but it looks like the sun will win.

the sun always wins here. it probably wont rain until april.

By dave. on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

"4 days of overcast and rain can drive an Angelino to suicide"

dude.

By Nate on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

By semillama on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

That lightened up my day.

Next month I make my first trip to CA, although I don't think I am going to see much of anything besides Camp Pendleton.

By Platypus on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

that's too bad.

it just started raining here on thursday, and it shows no sign of letting up yet. the cats are pissed.

By eri on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

OK it has been gorgeous here, but today is weird. It is clear and sunny and all but it is like 54 degrees outside. The rest of the week is supposed to be warm.

Some of the locals have decided to rent a bounce house and put it outside my bedroom window. The kids see it and some of their friends out there, but we weren't invited to the party and don't know who's party it is, so my kids are watching re-runs of Celebrity Mole instead.

By Ophelia on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 10:58 pm:

bah. minus 5 degrees F. no wind chill. but hey, i like it cold.

By semillama on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:12 am:

Eri - 54 degrees IS warm.

By sarah on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:12 am:

my two best friends in hawaii, ashby and jane, called me from ashby's house friday night. we talked for almost two hours. we talked until all three of us were caught up and there was nothing left to say.

it was great, it was just like how it used to be. we'd go out to lunch and come back to my house and drink tea and eat a dessert and sit on the lanai and chat. just talk and talk and talk about everything and nothing. they said they went out to lunch and spent half the time talking about me, so they decided to call. it totally made my week, to know that i haven't been forgotten, that i'm missed as much as i miss everyone back home.

after we hung up the phone i cried. i was so homesick.

coincidentally i already had rented the movie Blue Crush to watch later that night. it was a really great movie, despite what so many people i know said about it.... things like "cheesy", "bad plot", "obvious", "it's just a bunch of beautiful young girls with perfect bodies wearing bikinis", etc.

while i'd agree that maybe the plot was predictable, a story line told a million times before in a million different ways, the movie itself was great. it was very realistic in terms of portraying what life really is like for your average person who lives in Hawaii, and in particular on the north shore of oahu. and the surfing footage was gorgeous.

and now i have summer fever too.

last year winter started depressing me in late november. this year i held out to february, but it's finally starting to get to me. even though it's been a milder, sunnier winter than last year, i'm fucking sick and tired of the cold. i'm tired of being inside all the time, and not having any friends who like to take the time to make trips to go hiking or other outdoors activities. everyone i know all they do is go out to eat or drink or go to movies. or they shop. they buy things and fill their house with things that they can talk about when they have parties.

i want to go surfing. i want to camp at makua beach and swim with the dolphins. i want my year-round garden and mango tree. i want to walk barefoot everywhere, forget to wear shoes to work. i want that organic, real life back.

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:04 am:

Eri's just spoiled, we were between 70 & 80 last week, so 54 does seem chilly.

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:07 am:

By Nate on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

wtf nate?

i live minutes from the pacific. i've seen snow in excess of an inch maybe four times in my life. it's about 47 out.

75 is the lower threshold of warm. 54 is chilly.

By Platypus on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

54 is toasty.

When I was in Vermont, it was very cold. But, curiously, I didn't feel cold. I felt warmer at -20 that I do at 54. I think it's because it's such a dry cold in Vermont. I don't know. It was the coldest weather I had ever been in, in my life. Seriously. I thought long and hard about this.

Last night I read at the coffeehouse for a while and then went to bed early. I slept for twelve hours. And my rear-view mirror fell off so I can't drive anywhere until the auto parts store opens tommorrow. I've tried glue, I've tried double sided adhesive goo...time to go act girly at NAPA.

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

For some reasonI thought you lived in NY?

By moonit on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:46 pm:

Are you getting Nate and Swine mixed up? Cause I used to.

By sarah on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

hahahah!! that's *really* funny!

By eri on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

It's back up to almost 70 again today, and beautiful. I went tanning again, but I didn't want to up the amount of time afraid that I might burn, and I should have cuz I didn't get shit for color. Oh well, longer time tanning tomorrow. Not quite swimming weather here, though.

My best friend is coming here in April for our birthdays (hers is the day before mine) and I told her to bring her swimsuit, but she is in Missouri and it is so much colder there that she can't fathom the idea of going swimming in April. It's funny. Our weather here in April is warmer than their June.

I grew up in Cali and now I am in Texas with a very similar climate. To me 54 is definately chilly and if I am dressed in shorts and tank tops like I usually do then it is just plain cold.

I just want weather in the 80's and the pools to be open, so that when my tanning membership expires I can just hang out by the pool with the kids all day!

By Dougie on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

That was me, Spunky. We got 2' here and it's still coming down. It's a winter wonderland here.

By Ophelia on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

yah platypus, this has definately beenthe coldest winterofmylife,sorryaboutthisbutmyspacebarishonestlyjustfuckedupandidontknowwhy...

By Ophelia on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

whatthehellihavetohititreally hard to make it work!!!!thissucks!

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

new keyboards are less then $10

By Ophelia on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

hmm_what_about_a_laptop?

By dave. on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

ps2 port, yo!

10 key bonus, aiight?

go on, now. git it!

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

what kind of laptop? you can get a dongle or y-adapter that allows you to hook up a keyboard and a mouse, or a docking station.

By J on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:02 am:

Eri your young stop tanning now and wear a strong sunblock if you want your skin to look young 20 years from now,haven't you seen women who look like walnuts?

By patrick on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:40 am:

ive never understood the interest in tanning.

pasty white hot flesh good.

leathery aarp scene bad.

By Platypus on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:14 pm:

pasty white flesh is a sign of good skin health. tan=not healthy.

By eri on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

In my entire life I have actually gotten a tan (usually from the sun) a total of 3 summers, once when I was 5, once when I was 16 and last summer. I don't have a problem with looking my age or looking older and no one in my family on both sides ever has.

When I don't have any color on my skin I am beyond pasty white and people walk up to me on the streets or in stores (literally) and ask me if I am feeling allright because I look sick all of the time.

By tanning with this package (2 weeks) I will not acheive super tan brown skin, but rather what is normally concidered white.

When I am in the sun I always use sunscreens, I have sunscreens in all of my lotions and cosmetics.

When I get a little color for once I actually look healthy. I am different that way, kinda like I have to gain weight to look healthy when most people are trying to lose weight.

I am not out there cooking myself constantly every single summer and getting all brown and leathery. I think that is gross.

I do have to admit,though, that I do like it when I have some color on my skin, a little brown, not so ghostly white. I feel great. It may be more due to the fact that I am usually swimming and in much better physical shape, but I still feel good.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:20 pm:

tanning is bad for your skin (trust me, i lived in the sun for 9 years straight and am well on my way to walnut-face), but it has been known to improve your mood. my doctor told me last winter to try tanning when i was having seasonal depression. i didn't - instead i tried those lightbulbs, which i'm not sure if they improved my mood either.

By heather on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

i'm the whitest
    i am blue
    it's ok

By wisper on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

snow.
    so much snow.

i hate shoveling it, and i don't have a shovel. Every time i go into the driveway i have to gun it and pray. It's actually very funny.
    You know what else it funny? Little kids in snow clothes. They can't walk, everything is too bulky, they become so useless, they fall down n can't get up like turtles. And their boots, their boots are bigger than their heads.

54 isn't chilly, 54 is ideal! I love 54f!
    the online temp converter tells me it's -4f here today. Or, 253.15 Kelvin, if that's what you're into.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact