made the mistake of channel surfing on my tv

sorabji.com: What have you done?: made the mistake of channel surfing on my tv
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

I ran across Court TV and the headline was "Boy gets dragged to death by Carjacker". I guess they are in the final arguements of this case.

This is what they were discussing. Apparently the carjacker said that when the police dropped him off in this parking lot he was scared of all of the white people and felt he had to get away. So he carjacked this car and took off with this little boy hanging by his seatbelts (mom tried to get him out but couldn't) and being dragged on the street. Then all of the "white people" were yelling at him.

OMG. I didn't need another reason to fucking cry today. I remember this well. It happened two blocks away from where we used to live. The little boy went to school with Hayley. My best friend jogs with his mother now. I know the parking lot he took the car from. I used to go to that Mr. Goodcents all of the time for soup. I remember the bloody remains of this little boy caught up in the belts hanging out the side of the SUV this man stole. I can still close my eyes and see it.

Here's the thing. It isn't a "white" neighborhood. It isn't even predominantly white. It is a pretty even mix of "white" "hispanic" and "african american" people.

It isn't some uppity area where everyone drives SUV's and Mercedes and shit. Half of the people there make poverty level wages. It's a rather poor area of town, though not a rough one, a poor one.

If you saw someone driving down the road dragging a child to death by a seatbelt hanging out the car, wouldn't you yell? Hey buddy, this kid's hanging out your car and it's dying! Hell, people will yell at you in your car if your gas cap is off, because although poor, they want to help everyone in every way there.

I am just fucked up. Anyone who has been there know that this isn't the area he made it out to be. Race is NOT why he killed that little boy. He didn't sit and wait for his friends like he said he did. As soon as the cops were out of sight he took that car and killed that boy. He murdered this little innocent good child and now he is bitching about race issues because he is an african american? This makes me sick inside.

By Antigone on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

He has the right to make any argument he wants in his defence. The argument may be faulty. It may even be a lie. (But, not pergury.)

Of course, the jury then has the right to convict him, if the evidence warrents.

"Race is NOT why he killed that little boy."

The event was a tragedy, for sure. But, you can have no idea why he killed the boy. That's a subjective matter, in the accused murderer's mind, and it's impossible for you to know. He could have killed him because he saw blue people with tails chasing him, for all we know.

"This makes me sick inside."

Why? At a trial, especially if you're convicted, you have the right to say whatever you want. I can see feeling sick about the act, and this reminding you of it, but why about what the accused said?

By eri on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

"I can see feeling sick about the act, and this reminding you of it, but why about what the accused said?"

It makes me sick because it is so blatantly wrong and an excuse to try to get away with murder.

The mother begged him to let her get her son out of the car before he took it. She started getting him out when the guy changed his mind and took off killing this child.

When you see something this horrible happen to someone you know, someone your child cares about and you see this horror and you have to tell your daughter that her friend was brutally murdered, you don't easily forget it. When you see this asshole murderer use racism as an excuse for his horrible crimes you get angry and feel sick inside. It is wrong that he uses this as an excuse as if him being a different race makes his actions OK. It doesn't. No matter what he says or does, my daughter will never have her friend back, his mother will never have her son back.

He chose to kill that boy and he KNEW that he was hanging outside of the car dragging by the seat belt. It wasn't like he didn't know. HE KNEW IT and DID IT ON PURPOSE. It wasn't shown on this piece on television, but if you had been there you would have seen it with your own eyes.

Trying to defend a murderer by playing a race card is morally reprehensible. That makes me sick.

Watching nothing but bombs and trying to escape that finding tragedy can make you sick inside, too.

By J on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:05 am:

You know what makes me sick? They just let a woman out of the nut house here,she took her 7 year old daught out to the desert shot her in the head and killed her,5 years in the nut house and she walks,she has an 8 year old son.I hate tweakers.

By eri on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:34 am:

That's just wrong.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact