Museum or Art Exhibit

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Museum or Art Exhibit
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

What was the last museum or art exhibit you saw?

This past weekend we took some visiting friends to the Getty to see The Surrealist Muse

It was the greatest. I've never been terribly exposed to Lee Miller's work, but my god was a i blown away. Of course I always get a hard on and feel in the presence of greatness when i see a Man Ray print, but Lee Miller's work blew me away.

her work during WWII was particularly moving as she was one of the few women photographers who had carte blanche. There are pictures of her and her friends sitting in Hitler's bathtub after his fall. Photos of Third Reich officials and their families who had committed suicide when the Allies took Berlin and many others.

Check out her archive here and still, many of my favorites are not on display here, but this seems to be the most comprehensive site.

Unfortunately, I can't locate, right away, some Man Ray images of Lee Miller, because they were, by far, some of the best images i've ever seen from him.

At times like this, i have to step away. I can only look at the images for seconds. I get so worked up, so inspired, so titillated that i sometimes have to stop looking. This goes the same for my photobooks as well.I can only look at them so much.

Have you seen anything as of late?

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

I went to the Corcoran gallery and the Renwick Gallery in DC a couple of weeks ago.

I was really disappointed by the Corcoran -- I don't know if they were renovating or what, but all the hordes of John Singer Sargents and Roy Lichtensteins they claim to have were nowhere in sight. They had some other 19th century American painters on exhibit and some interesting modern art, but nothing that great.

The Renwick museum has a large exhibit of Frank Lloyd Wright's stained glass windows, which were cool. The rest of the museum houses some modern artsy textiles (quilts made of metal wire, carved wooden vases, etc.).

I like this Lee Miller photo.

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

its disturbing isnt it? i dont think they had that one on show.

this was one of my more favorite images of the war.

There was another, where someone in the London during the bombing, had made a sign using a plant potter and a scrap piece of wood warning of live bombs in the ruins ahead and placed the sign in the middle of the street.

This was another favorite.

ohhh i found more galleries...

Im not sure who this woman is, but i love the image. its clean lines work for me

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

I liked the woman in the fashion shoot and the house filled with bricks, too.

I liked the image I linked to because it's neat how the lens of the camera mirrors the mouthpiece of the gas mask.

The Corcoran had this interesting painting by Ida Applebroog, called "Mother mother I am ill" -- it's kind of hard to explain but bear with me. Heh. It showed in outline a bear about to smash a sleeping girl over the head with a rock. Around the girl were images of people talking, a man behind a desk, and other jumbled/confused pictures in red and yellow. I couldn't figure out if the images were supposed to be dreams that the girl was having, or if certain ones (yellow ones?) were real and the others were dreams, or who the bear was, or what. But it was neat.

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

tell me about the FLW stained glass.

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

Here is a link to the exhibit -- you can see some of the windows in the upper right corner of the screen.

The windows/screens were displayed so as to give us an idea of how they would look set in the walls of a house. Some were very simple, consisting mostly of lead lines with maybe one tiny square of colored glass set in the bottom, and some were very elaborate, showing lots of colors and different shapes. My favorite window there was designed for the (or one of the) prairie house(s) he built, and it showed what looked like two thistles side by side. Very pretty.

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

Wow. I really dig some of those. Though it seems he was more concerned about the actual aesthic design, than the light flow on some of those..

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Actually, he would have whole walls lined with these windows, and they're pretty big, so a lot of light would get in.

Some of them had designs that looked like wheat and other plants. Really pretty.

Ever notice how tired you get walking around museums? It almost seems like you'd get more tired strolling around an art museum than walking quickly around the city for the same period of time.

By Spider on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

One more thing: a couple of years ago, I went to the Corcoran, and the tickets were very expensive, I thought (like maybe $15), so I didn't go in...I just went to the gift shop. There I got a T-shirt that had a John Singer Sargent sketch of three men's heads with blindfolds on.

When I decided to go to the Corcoran a few weeks ago, that sketch was #1 on the list of things I wanted to see. (You know I'm fascinated by blindfolded figures in art.)

Not only did I not see the sketch, but....the tickets were only $5. So, I'm thinking...maybe the museum got rid of a lot of its art? And now they're charging visitors less because there's less to see?

By patrick on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

well.

i dont doubt the translusence of the windows.

im just thinking of actual implimentation. im thinking strategic light application.

nevermind.

speaking of application and ultra coolness....check this out

http://www.cm2a.com/

Artist Cameron McNall.

Go to Projects. Check out his "Hollywood Shadow Project' and the "R-G-B" project at SCI-Arc. SCI-Arc is a progressive private architecture school that is housed in a former railroad cargo station....meaning, its a bldg about a 1/4 mile long. I havent actually seen the installation yet, but it sounds fanfucktastic

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact