Went Spelunking

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Went Spelunking
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:13 am:

By Spider on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:41 am:

That's so cool.

By eri on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

The tour guide kept telling me to apply for a job there as a tour guide. It was funny. If I don't get this office job, I just might do it. The place is gorgeous. And the walk through the caves is like a mild workout.

But the history of it and the formations themselves were just beautiful. Especially when you saw what people did to discover this place and bring it to the public so we could all see it. It rocks.

Sarah, there is one of these places near you, too. Called "Inner Space". This one is south of Austin about half way between us.

By semillama on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:03 pm:

I was wondering what happened to you spunky. I will refrain from making a joke about you crawling out of your cave.

By spunky on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

No need.
    Eri calls me Captain Cave Man

By eri on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

Nothing like being in the middle of a cave and having your mother shout out "Ooga Booga Baby" at your husband :)

By Antigone on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

jeez, spunk...the mother-in-law has been in town? No wonder you've been occupied! :)

By spunky on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

it has been, ummmm, interesting

By eri on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

She even had to call me today to tell me that Christopher has been a perfect angel ever since they left, whatever, he was yelling at her in the background.

This past week and a half has been an adventure to say the least.

By spunky on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 05:17 pm:

i have some more pictures to post.
    they should be interesting.

By spunky on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:20 pm:

By sarah on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

that one of hayley and mia is totally adorable.

christopher looks like a future stoner.

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

No doubt.
    :)

By eri on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

I told Christopher I am going to start calling him Dudley (as in Dursley) cuz he is a little bully. My Mom let it slip that he and one other kid team up and beat up all the smaller kids at the day care he is in. I am afraid that boy is headed for trouble in one way or another.

By eri on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 01:51 pm:

I like the picture of Micki and Christopher at the coral reef. It makes me laugh, cuz Micki is 4 and Christopher is only 2 and he is so much bigger than she is, but they are close to the same height. It just cracks me up.

By J on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

I like the one at the bottom,where Cristopher looks putout getting his picture taken with the girls,they are all so cute and it looks like they were having such fun. There a newly discovered cave in Tucson that I've been wanting to go to,but you have to get on a waiting list.http://www.explorethecaverns.com/

By eri on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

Just come out here and visit J. There are quite a few different cave systems out here.

The next local touristy thing I want to do is the "Ghost Hunt" which is a tour lead by paranormal experts around the Alamo and other areas, where you learn about ghost happenings and shit. They are supposed to have all kinds of special equiment. Ghosts are a big thing here.

Apparently there is even this train track where a bus load of kids got killed and if you go there and put your car in neutral and turn your engine off the ghosts of the kids will push your car off of the tracks. Rumor has it that if you cover the back of your vehicle in baby powder you can see the handprints and fingerprints of those ghost kids. I have also had some friends say that they went there and did it and they found the handprints and stuff, but these gusy are eccentric, so I take it with a grain of salt.

So next I want to go on the ghost hunt downtown. And I want to check out more of the caves.

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

That looks like a fun cave, J.
    The Devil's Sink Hole is also on my list.

Here is a list of all Show Caves in the US.
    They also have a lot of information about caves all over the world. Great site!

Oh, and one more thing.

If I lived with Eri's folks and had Mike and Annie for parents, I think I would be a stoner as well.

By J on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

I've been to the Grand Canyon Caverns http://www.gccaverns.com/ it's off route 66,went there the day before I rode a horse into Havasupi Canyon and stayed 5 days camping.http://www.pbase.com/image/1154366 .I've also been to Carlsbad Caverns,it was really something to see thousands of bats fly out of there at sunset.

By Spider on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

So, how come it's called the *Devil's* Sink Hole?

(I want to go to the Devil's Tower.)

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Maybe because the devil (hell) is supposed to be underground(?)

I want to see the Devil's Tower as well.

I wonder if the sink hole is the one they used in the X-Files movie and Evolution?

By Spider on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

I've been here, in Slovenia.

I tell you, there's nothing like going into a cave in Slovenia that makes you appreciate the USA's safety laws. It may have been perfectly safe, but I felt so insecure.

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

I love it when they turn out the in the cave.
    I am glad they did not do that this time, though since we were with 3 little ones who would have most likely freaked.

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

By Spider on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 05:04 pm:

You mean turn out the lights? I freak when they do that!

By spunky on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

I love it. Pure darkness.
    Nothing but the sounds of the caves surround you.
    Well, that and the stench of the people in your tour group

By semillama on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 06:51 pm:

You should check out any underground mine tours like cave tours, but more like Moria, except think claustrophobic Moria, not wideopen cave spaces.

By patrick on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 08:16 pm:

pure dark is bliss.

working in a dark room for a number of years now, im used to it. of course, you only need complete dark to load film into its the tanks.

being in such complete picth black actually relaxes my eyes. im talking so pitch you see absolutely nothing....such as a cave or mine shaft. its like your eyes let go, stop trying.

By Nate on Friday, August 1, 2003 - 10:46 pm:

speaking of spelunking, i haven't had anal sex in such a long time.

SUCH a long time.

By spunky on Saturday, August 2, 2003 - 12:09 am:

By Nate on Saturday, August 2, 2003 - 12:27 am:

explore the mines of Moria? is that code for anal sex?

By patrick on Saturday, August 2, 2003 - 12:53 pm:

is Moria single?

By Gimli on Sunday, August 3, 2003 - 12:14 am:

Ney, barren as the dessert.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:43 am:

By dave. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:06 am:

cool, man.

yo momma's a hottie!

recommendation: get some new frames. those are all state trooper.

maybe some tiny frames like ranxerox.

serious.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 09:30 am:

What is this, "Sorabji Eye for that Trace Guy"?

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:10 am:

Yeah, but wouldn't Trace like the "state trooper" look?

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:01 am:

I thought state troopers wore mirrored aviators?

Trace, you were a cute little boy.

Damn, I want a scanner. (Holy crap, I just wrote "skanner." Yesterday, I tried to spell "provocative" with a K...frightening.)

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:34 am:

Why so, komrade?

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

Spider's goin' pinko on us.
    I've been a skanning fool lately. Been burning up film, experimenting with a new kamera and just gerally goofing around.
    I'm being all kheap an not getting prints. I just skan my negatives.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

Thanks Spider.
    I wish I knew where that little boy went....

I usually dislike pictures of myself in any form, my prom picture being a perfect case in point, but when I got a CD in the mail from my mom, and saw all these older ones with cars I remember, houses, and people I have not seen in years, I could not resist.
    There are some OLD pictures on that CD from my grand parent's grandparents. Those rock.

Also, parents:

Please, PLEASE, whatever you do, if your child needs glasses, NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, go for a "buy one, get one free" deal. The only opticians that offer that kind of deal are the ones who specialize in the worst NERD glasses on earth.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

You didn't look bad in the prom picture, I thought.

I loathe getting my picture taken. I hope I'm just really unphotogenic, because I'd hate to be that ugly for real. What's horrible is when you see a picture of yourself that makes you wince, and someone tells you that it's a good one.

But I was a cute kid. That much I can tell you.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

"What's horrible is when you see a picture of yourself that makes you wince, and someone tells you that it's a good one."

i run into this constantly.

a good friend recently let me take her portrait. i've known her for years and all of a sudden i saw something in her that i wanted to capture.

and I DID! I was making the proof sheets last night and was so god damn excited at the results i called her over. All she did was fucking whine and moan about a small, undetectable blemish on her face and complained that the grain in the film enhanced the blemish.

i wanted to smash her face for good at that point.
    because she was so hung up on the blemish that should couldnt see the extraordinary beauty in the images. I mean really, lighting and everything....i lit them and casted these beautiful dramatic shadows on her like 30s filmstars had their headshots done. she has good solid neck lines and collar bones and the shawdows just danced her perfectly.

fucking blemish on her forhead, fucking blemish on her forhead.

nico is often like that with pictures, even super fucking good pictures and it drives me up the fucking wall. really. there's nothing worse than being excited about an image, giving it to the subject hearing them say "my head looks big" or " my nose looks pointy" or "my hair is a mess" or "i look fat"

Grrrrrrrr!

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

Some folks will always find flaws in pictures of themselves. Often that's all they see. It's frustrating and way too common.
    Ever notice how some people will start to complain about how awful they look in a picture before they even get a good look at it?
    I know a couple people who always make pains to ruin my photos of them, then say "See?" when they look awful. If they didn't scrunch up their faces and try to hide, it would be fine.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

I keep waiting for Trace to start calling hiumself "Spelunky".

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

I am the queen of it. Poor Spunky....that's why there aren't any pics of me mixed in with the others when we were in the caves. My foundation was a shade too light (I must have more of a tan than I thought) cuz I looked at the pics and saw one and it was like......OMG, my fucking head is glowing....you can see the make-up lines......I look like I'm fucking glowing in the dark!!!!!! And then there was the one that my dad took at the perfect moment...hah....when I was flipping him off at Sea World and he caught the picture with my finger pointing straight at my nose so it looked like I had been picking my nose with my middle finger......it's a classic, and truly representative of my personality, but my hair wasn't done and my face wasn't done, so I wouldn't let him put that one up either.

I hate most pics of myself, and pick them apart. I can't think of a single one that I like of me.

I get TONS of compliments on the ones I have taken without any make-up on, but have been BEATEN over the head with the whole idea of natural not being beautiful, and can't seem to get over it. In fact, you guys here at Sorabji are the only ones to ever see pics of me without full hair and make-up on. I guess I just can't see myself as a "natural beauty" even though I would like to.

I just need to get over myself :)

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

Indeed. Stop wearing makup. Isn't that stuff expensive?

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

Not really. I mean, I still have TONS of cosmetics, but only spend maybe $25 a year on the stuff. But then again, I don't bother that often anymore, cuz when I do spend time trying to make myself more attractive MY HUSBAND DOESN'T EVER NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

Hey, I do too notice!

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

No, don't notice. The daily use of makeup seems so silly to me.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:56 pm:

she does not need it.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

Thank you honey.

I don't use make-up daily. I might decide that I want to feel pretty and put it on for no other reason maybe once every 2-3 months, and sorry honey, but you NEVER notice, and have told me that it's cuz I am such a "natrual beauty" that you can't tell the difference :)

I just don't see it.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

plus using makeup only makes your skin worse!
    I'ts sad, i see it all too often when ladies have been obviously using foundation creams or whatever their whole lives and it ended up destroying their complexion.
    So they just need to use more. They look like airbrushed freaky dolls.

My sister will be like that when she's older. It's amazing the difference in our faces.
    When her face broke out she went straight for the cover-up and never looked back, now her skin is riddled with zit scars and patches. She can never stop now.
    she moans about how i don't need makeup but we have the same genes, it's the makeup that did it in the first place.

girls never learn, do they?

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

I am doing better. It used to be that I would never be seen outside of my apartment without full make-up on. I used to spend 2 hours primping just to go to the gas station for a pack of smokes. I was insane.

I never had bad skin, fortunately. But I find now that if I don't remove my foundation quickly it does cause a breakout, which it never did when I was younger.

Now that I am starting to age a little, I have freckles that I like, and my eyes are lighter in color (green and gold) and my only real complaints about my skin are the dark circles under my eyes and the fine lines. So I wear foundations that are still light enough that the freckles still show (cuz I like em).

I dunno. I heard nice things on the pic of me without make-up. Maybe I should just let it go.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

*Kough*

Hooray for Pinkos!

How's the new kamera working, Tbone? I broke mine I think from Zoobombing.

I've been taking many piktures with my other kameras and I'm going to have a show in November. "Ring bell for servike." People will go in, sit, read a menu and order a set of photographs to look at.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:58 pm:

I am wearing my Cow Moo Nist Party T-shirt.

By TBone on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 02:27 am:

Nice. I need a shirt like that.

I love the kamera. My other cameras feel neglected. This is probably just the beginning of an out-of-control camera addiction. Need more cameras! You broke yours awful fast. Best get it repaired.

Zoobombing?

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:34 am:

Zoobombing. I am drunk so explainations will kome later.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact