to yourself?

sorabji.com: What have you done?: to yourself?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:58 am:

So Eri's got me thinking...I know a lot of us have posted about our tattoos/piercings/brands/etc, but I think it would be neat to see a tidy thread catalouging them. (Fat chance on the tidy part).

I have:

two piercings in my lower right lobe, one in the upper cartilage
    two piercings in my lower left lobe
    one piercing in my lip, on the right side

three tattoos, all stars about thumbnail size, which although sounding cheesy are actually very beautiful when viewed as a whole--one on my right shoulder blade, on on my mid to lower back off the the left, and another right above my right hip.

a scarified cross (upside down, of course), on my right leg

three parallel lines branded at the centre of the bottom on my back, right over the coxyx (spell?)

You?

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:10 am:

3 holes on each ear lobe (used to be four but closed the 4th ones).

Will try to see if I can get a pic of the tattoo as soon as I get it. It will be around my belly button.

By semillama on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:11 am:

coccyx

I have four stainless steel earrings, two in each lobe.
    I have a tattoo on my upper left arm and one on my left lower back.

I have a question - are there earrings that are durable that are made out of non-ferrous (no iron) metal? I want to learn to operate a piece of remote sensing equipment that we own, but you can't have any ferrous metals on you when you do.

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:17 am:

Sem I seriously don't know about the metal in the earrings so I can't really help you there. If you gave me some examples of what those metals might be called or something I might look into it for you.

Platypus, I am answering your other question here....I have a friend who wants to open up her own tattoo shop.....so I get a discount cuz I am a friend. She had said probably around $20 for it, but then once I showed her my sketch she said $5.

So It's like this old looking sun that goes around my belly button and then in the upper right hand side (if you were looking at it) it will have a crescent moon going throught it. It's not going to be very big. Just big enought that you won't be able to miss it when I wear a bikini, or midriff shirt (most of the time).

But once I get it done I will try to get some pics and post them on here.....

By spunky on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:25 am:

i refuse to have anything painted on me that cannot be washed off with soap and water, no holes that I was not born with, and nothing attached that cannot come off.

By J on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:38 am:

I was over 30 before I got my ears pierced,Amee has alot of tatoos,Ryan even more,he has his own tatoo kit and gives them to his friends,Heather has none.If your going to get a tatoo think about where you put them,the upside down flag on the back of his neck hasn't really helped Ryan in the employment department.

By TBone on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:54 am:

Titanium earrings. Not ferrous.
    Nor are they cheap. Get little tiny ones.

By Hal on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:19 am:

Two tattoo's on my wrists, Kanji both of them.

And I have two labre's on my lip, on either side of the soul patch.

By TBone on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:23 am:

labrets?
    Damn. When'd that happen?
    . . . Was it to impress a girl again?
    How long has it been since I've seen your crazy hide?

By semillama on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

titanium, cool. I will ask our magnetometer guru how titanium affects the machine.

By patrick on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:14 pm:

how totally predictable of you spunk.

who could have guessed.

my three holes are nearly closed.

I have thus far been able to decide on a tattoo so I've avoided it all together but I am open to the idea.

By patrick on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

uh.

holes in my EARS

they were pierced...by me....

By agatha on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

Okay, here goes...

left ear-
    4 holes. one large, from when i ripped my earring out of my ear at age 16. i eventually went to a plug, because i couldn't stand to see the droopy skin around it. there's amber in there. another stainless hoop, and one more stainless hoop in an orbital style, meaning it goes through two holes at once.

right ear-
    one stainless hoop.

chin- labret stud in the shape of a teeny tiny star.

nose- tiny gold stud on one side. i used to have my septum pierced, but i think it closed up.

bellybutton- small gold loop

left arm-
    one cheesy tattoo from when i was 18, near my shoulder.

right arm- one swirly tattoo around my lower arm, near the elbow, one large swirly tattoo covering most of my upper arm, shoulder, and part of my back. ran out of money, so that one will be bigger someday. it's not really very done looking.

left leg- tattoo of clock on calf. i regret that one.

right leg- tattoo of a heart with "cleo" in it, jazz beat style writing. all black.

lower back- in the middle. a capital b. i regret that one too, and will soon be covering it up.

that's all.

By Hal on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

You haven't seen me in a while TBone, and I blame it on you. I have given you phone info, you have email contact info.... And you told me you'd call me to setup going to coffee or buy me that drink you owe me...

So the ball is proverbialy in your freakin court dude.

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

If all goes well with this tattoo I am seriously considering having an aries symbol put on the small of my back. I dunno for sure yet, though. Still have to get the first one.

By Nate on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

i have the dragonfly on my upper back. no current piercings.

By The Watcher on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

This is more than I ever needed to know.

Piercings and tattoos give me the creeps.

But, I am needle phobic.

By Spider on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

I just have my ears pierced.

My brother wants me to design two tattoos for him....check this idea out. He wants two similar images on the backs of his arms -- one will be a silhouette of a tree and a landscape in a square border, and the other will take the same shape of the tree/landscape but will be made up of mechanical gears....sort of a nature vs. technology exhibit. I think they'll look pretty good.

By The Watcher on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

That is an absolutely wicked idea!

I hate tatoos. But, that vision is really wicked!!!

By Dougie on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

I got some bitchen dark moles on my back which if you squint just right, could be the constellation Orion.

By TBone on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

When I flex my arm, the moles on my right bicep line up into a perfect pentagon, with one mole in the center.

By Lapis on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

One of my roommates calls soul patches "dork knobs" if they're on anyone but an aging black male.

Me:

Ears pierced once, no tattoos.

I do have the bike chain on my wrist that I haven't removed for nearly a year and a half, I think that should count.

Also a perma-bruise on my right hip from a flake of bone, that was unintentional.

By sarah on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

platinum.

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:35 pm:

Oh hell, I forgot that my darling tattoo artist has been on here recently.......Little Bat Lady is doing the tat for me :)

By moonit on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:10 pm:

I have three peircings in my left ear, and two in my right - the right ear has one up the top and one on the bottom. The earings in the left ear are a ball on a hoop (smallish), and two silver rings with silver stars, the others are sleepers.

I did have an eyebrow peircing, but it started to grow out so now I have a scar.

I'm going to get a dragon on the back of my neck soon as I can find one I like.

By Platypus on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:32 pm:

Titanium is the greatest.

By eri on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 07:48 pm:

Ok, so Little Bat Lady seems to have dissappeared on me. Didn't return the calls. We didn't get together to do the tattoo like planned.

I am getting impatient. I know I shouldn't but it has taken me so long to come up with this sketch and this being what I want on my body permanently. I want it done. I want my tattoo.

So I call around a little. I go to a couple of shops. First shop says that they will have to make it bigger, clean up the lines, etc. Talked sense. Said that they couldn't do it for less than $100. Basically would end up costing $100-125.

It's a SMALL FUCKING tat. I mean small. It doesn't need to be that much bigger. just big enough to go around my belly button. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

So I talked to this one place that said that the prices start at $60. I go in. They recognize me and send me to talk to this one guy, who is sitting there playing with the equipment and is totally freaking me out. He said putting a tat around the navel is difficult, and he would have to charge at least $140.

The thing is that I don't want any color on it either, just the black with a little grey shadowing.

If you take a dollar bill and fold it in half, that is bigger than the tattoo.

It shouldn't be this fucking expensive.

I am getting upset now.

By Antigone on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:15 pm:

I don't know much about tattoo proces, but the quotes seem pretty reasonable to me. This is an artwork you're commissioning here, remember. You just happen to be the canvas. And art ain't cheap, at least for the good stuff.

By heathre on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

who wants to guess where my pierce is?

hah! no more secrets!

By Antigone on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:44 pm:

hypothalamus?

By beta on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 09:50 pm:

eri,
    some of the cost is just the "needle fee"
    they can't reuse some of the equipment, so a lot of parlours have a baseline fee that doesn't change (regardless of size/simplicity)
    i think the rest of the fee is based on the time it takes and number of colors used
    i have a tat on my ankle for which i payed 75
    i regret not paying more for a better quality image
    i also have 80's ears
    3 on the right 1 on the left

and six more baout my body that i have allowed to heal

how about everyone else?
    what tats or piercings have you removed/covered up/ allowed to heal over?

By eri on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:33 pm:

I am still going to look around some more. I live on the north side of town where things are more expensive anyways. If I go to the south side, it may be cheaper. Also it might be cheaper if I go somewhere recommended by a friend, you know, deals for repeat business kinda thing. We'll see. I am still going to look. I want it to turn out nice. It is after all, permanent.

I have two earrings I let close, one in each ear. So now I have 3 on each ear lobe.

Spunky has a business party on the 6th and it is a bbq with swimming. I will be controversial enough in a bikini, and the tat wouldn't go over well. I am trying to decide if I should get it done before then and forego the swimming, or if I should go swimming, and shock the conservatives with my bikini, and then get the tat.

By hjeatehr on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:46 pm:

if i was going to have someone draw permanently on my body, i would find the best artist that would do it and pay what it takes to get the best

that's just me

By wisper on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

i used to have two holes in each ear, but the higher ones caused great pain and suffering so i let them close after a month. So no more ear piercings for me, although i'd love an industrial. But no.

I have a labret on my chin.
    I change it between a simple ball, a small spike, and a fuckin huge 2 inch spike.

And a small barbell between my eyes. Nose bridge.
    It is amazing and beautiful, but if i could go back i wouldn't get it done again. Nothing but trouble!
    eg) I used to have a ring through it at first but there were too many incidents of it nearly getting ripped out.

no tattoos, no money.

eri-tattoo pricing as i know it is usually $50 per square inch of space to start, regardless of simplicity. It's also more expencive because you're brining in your own art, which is more difficult for them.
    The only way to get things cheaper is with a friend of a friend of a..... or getting Billy-Bob to do it in his dirty basement.
    If you really want it for cheap, see if any of your local studios have an apprentice that could do it. Apprentices need to practice on people before they can go out on their own, but it's all supervised by a real artist. They usually just charge for the ink, and use your tat for their porfolio. The tattoo apprentices i know charge $35 flat.

sem- how about non-metal stuff entirely? like the plastic rings and barbells that raver kids get? acrylic retainers?

By kazoo on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

I miss my tongue ring. I had the shortest post available at the time but still managed to bite down on it and crack two of my teeth causing about $3000 worth of damage.

I have two holes in each ear which are not closed, but not currently sporting any hoops.

By wisper on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:46 pm:

i'm actually getting quite depressed about my nose bridge. It's always red at the ends, always angry at me. I should take it out but then i'll have a scar in such a bad place, and i'll miss it so.
    Whatever will i do?
    What will i get to take it's place?
    Nothing is prettier.

there was never enough skin between my eybrows to do it right. It's not two perfect dots like it's supposed to be. You can see the bar at either end most of the time, and it's the smallest bar they make for this kind.

hold me, kazoo.

love hurts.

By Nate on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

my tattoo was $120.

i've had two piercings, the web between thumb and first finger on my left hand and the PA. Both have closed up.

I want another tat. I don't know what or where, though.

By agatha on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:56 pm:

Don't get cheap about tattoos. Find the best artist, and pay what they charge you.

Cheap tattoos mean either: unsanitary conditions, bad tattoo artists, or friend of a friend, which would be okay.

It will be on you forever.

Wisper, I hate to break it to you, but the bridge of the nose is one of those areas that just wasn't meant to be pierced. Everyone I know that has gotten that piercing has had their body reject it. Same with the neck.

By agatha on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:58 pm:

Hand piercing-

eew.

By heathre on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:37 pm:

i always wanted hand tattoos

still not ready to go permanent yet

might require an epiphany

By spunky on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:56 pm:

"By heathre on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:26 pm:
    who wants to guess where my pierce is?

hah! no more secrets! "

A girl at the dollar store, who up to that point was a complete stranger to me, chose to tell me that she was getting her "pocket" pierced.
    Now, I did not ask her to elaborate, but I am assuming that pocket means lips?
    She already had her tounge pierced and was getting a larger stud....

By kazoo on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:59 pm:

I think a nose-bridge scar would be kind of cool, but that's just me--I like scars. I like labret piercings on other people. For me, the best part about getting pierced is how it feels when you have it done.

Hand tattoos are hot.

At some point I will be getting a tattoo on my back.

By heather on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:25 pm:

spunky you do have a way of making things icky

CAN THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD PLEASE SPELL TONGUE OR JUST CHANGE THE SPELLING ALREADY?

thank you. good night.

By blindswine on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:45 am:

$350.
    siva nataraja on the right bicep.

next stop - ganesha
    remover of all obstacles
    incarnation
    on left bicep.

probably another $350.

designer:
    denise
    de la cerda

easily the best tattoo artist in the nyc metro
    area.

jeather's right.
    you should search out the best
    and pay whatever it costs.

going cheap will probably just end up making
    you sorry.

By dave. on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:53 am:

that was agatha, padre.

By eri on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:19 am:

I don't wanna go cheap necessarily, but I don't want to pay too much for a small tattoo, and have the guy do a crappy job on it. I mean, I want quality work done. I got a lot of attitude from one of the guys, just plain scary. I don't care how much he charged, he wasn't touching my skin.

I got a couple more recommendations from friends. One place is supposed to be really clean and by appointment only. And their prices seem reasonable. My friends husband got one done there on the back of his neck which is at least twice the size of mine and paid like $140 for it.

So I have 3 more places to call or visit to see. I have a friend who wants a copy of the sketch so that he can go to the places around there and check them out and get price quotes for me, too.

Damn Nate you got a good price on your tattoo!

So this is a continuing process for me. I want the best job at the best price, and will take my time finding a place. When I am done, I will have Spunky take pics for those of you who want to see it (and those who won't be offended by my lower belly).

By TBone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

They both said it. Heather first.
    And I agree. It's permenant. On you. Why is price an issue? Especially when it looks like the price isn't varying much more than $50 either direction? Get the best. Save up if you have to.

By eri on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

I just never dreamed that something this small would cost so much.

I am going to make sure that I don't skimp on it. It's permanent.

I just never thought it would be THAT expensive.

By sarah on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

inspired by nate, about 3 months ago i made an appointment with the best tattoo artist in hawaii to finally, after 13-14 years, have the tattoo on my sternum finished.

you usually have to book about 6 months in advance to get this guy, but he's a friend of my dad's. he did my dad's last 2 tattoos and touched up his first one.

i am so excited! and i don't care how much it costs, it's going to be exquisite.

By sarah on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

which reminds me of my favorite Ganesha story.

first a little background: Ganesha is the elephant-headed son of Shiva and Parvati, and brother of Kartikay. Ganesha is a very sweet, gentle, indulgent, short and big-bellied creature, who rides around on a mouse or small rat. Tantric worship begins with the invocation of Ganesha. Kartikay on the other hand is lean and tall and rides on a very fast peacock, and is known as the logical scientist.

so one day Ganesha and Kartikay are fighting over a sweet that they both want to eat. Shiva and Parvati cleverly decide to solve their quarrel and say to them, "The first of you to travel once around the world and return to us will get the sweet."

Great! think Kartikay. he's smart and fast and rides around on a Peacock, so off he speeds to cirlce the world.

Ganesha, thinking for a moment, walks in a complete circle around them, and then smiles up at them sweetly and says, "Shiva and Parvati, you ARE my world."

:)

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:12 pm:

hwather, i can't imaging you have your cootch pierced. i just cant. it doesnt seem like a gheahter thang ya dig?

so, i guess you'd have your ears pierced like all nice girls do.

eri...tattoos are expensive. my brother, over xmas had a tattoo put on his arm on hollywood blvd. one of those run of the mill tattoo parlours. not great. not bad. did decent work. he got just an in-house designed "tribal" band around his bicep. in terms of size, its like a inch-wide, at most, design around his arm. Toom two hours. Black only. $250.

They arent cheap. You dont want them cheap. Price shouldnt be dictating this as much as quality. Find what you want then worry about the money.

Nate, I can't help but wonder if your hand piercing wasn't related to the PA in the sordid way only you could impliment. They say, that flesh, between your thumb and fore finger, is your wank 'muscle'

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

"I just never dreamed that something this small would cost so much."

You ain't never tried to buy a diamond, have ye?

By sarah on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

diamonds are retarded.

By kaz on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

yes, with sarah I agree.

By J on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that.

By sarah on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

J, that's basically what the Ass Doctor said too.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

<<Weingarten shifts uncomfortably in his chair and stares at the glittering gems on his dining room table. "Unless they can be detected," he says, "these stones will bankrupt the industry.">>

EXCELLENT. The industry lives off blood, sweat, and lies.

By Nate on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

patrick: the web piercing, which was gross, healed long before i got the PA. actually, the web piercing was a vodka-home-job which rejected to the tune of a ping pong ball sized swelling and was gone within a month.

and ebeather doesn't wear earings.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:15 pm:

just remember that it is precious gems and stones that support a LOT of countries that otherwise have no natural resource.

Plus, I know a lot of people who would sneer at the idea of a "manufactured" gems.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

Let 'em sneer. The free market should decide, no? If faced with the choice of paying $10,000 or $500 for the same product, what do you think the majority would choose?

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

Which countries are these, again?

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

"just remember that it is precious gems and stones that support a LOT of countries that otherwise have no natural resource."

that doesn't justify the level of exploitation in the industry.

"Plus, I know a lot of people who would sneer at the idea of a "manufactured" gems."

Apparently, this does.

(not aimed at you spunk)

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

Please don't think I am trying to defend De Beers mind you, I could care less about that.

You're not just talking about the engagement ring on your fiance either.

Some family fortunes that have been saved up for generations wiped out. Those gems in the safe will be worthless.

I personally had a plan worked out to get enough fake currency (paper money) and invest it in a real asset, ie precious gems.

A lot of people have done that.
    The good gold was confiscated by the US government back in the 30's.
    Precious stones and gems offered a stable alternative for barder and trade if the economy failed.
    A real, tangible assest that far exceeded any stock, bond or t-bill.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

just remember that it is child labor and exploitation that support a LOT of countries that otherwise have no natural resource.

By J on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

By J on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

"A real, tangible assest that far exceeded any stock, bond or t-bill."

But, that's just it. It isn't real. The value isn't tangible. It's probably one of the most imaginary investments possible, as it's value is almost completely manufactured by society and an artificial scarcity created by DeBeers.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

IF the governments are corrupt and want you and me by the balls, then backing this up would help the larger countries like the US and UK, but destroy smaller ones.

Gems, gold, silver, oil, etc are natural assests for countries.

paper assests are known as fiat currancies.

By kaz on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

holy crap. could you make that gem into an engagement ring for your next spouse-to-be?

whole new worlds of tacky await us.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

the rarity is what made it "real".
    The fact that it was produced by nature, under intense heat a pressure, the purity.
    That does indeed make it real.
    dirt is real, but not an asset.
    paper is backed by nothing but a promise.
    and if it rains, or if there is a fire, and that paper is ruined, you have lost your asset.
    diamonds and gold would still remain.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

that's horrid.

Would you really put your dead pet on your finger?
    or your dead grandmother on your fiance's?

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

Being fire and water proof makes the value real? That doesn't make any sense at all.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:39 pm:

"But, that's just it. It isn't real. The value isn't tangible. It's probably one of the most imaginary investments possible, as it's value is almost completely manufactured by society and an artificial scarcity created by DeBeers."

Wow, what a humanist statement.
    Man is indeed killing god.

And how suprising a comment from you, antigone.

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

I didn't say that I would. There are some sick individuals out there. But what makes the stone that is made from your grandmother any different (barring physical differences if there are any) than one you would buy in the mall? If no one but you knew?

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

"Wow, what a humanist statement.
    Man is indeed killing god."

What the fuck are you talking about? What does god have to do with anything in this conversation?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

You lost your home.
    You lost your currency.
    You lost your stock.

Time yellows paper.
    Fires eat paper.
    Water disolves paper.
    National economies bankrupt companies, making stock worthless (See MCI or K-Mart).

Computer hard drives crash and loose data.
    You loose your bank accounts.

Your country's gov has collapsed.
    The currency they printed is no longer worth a thing (see Russia, 1991 or Iraq, 2003 or Argentina, 2002). You are flat broke.

Your most important investment remains.

Real assests are those that stand all of these tests. That survive all natural and man made disasters.
    This is what countries used before the paper mill.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:46 pm:

calling a manufactured gem more real then one dug from the earth by de beers.
    that is what I was talking about.

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:53 pm:

They are equally real.

The reality of paper currency versus "hard" currency is a concoction of the human mind. Sure it's based on some quantifiable attributes, but those attributes are only assigned value by human beings. Me, I would pick a diamond made by machine over one from South Africa any day of the week. The value of diamonds is essentially measured in human misery, and so to me, they are worthless, excepting the case of heirlooms.

Kazoo and I both agree there will be no diamond engagement rings (unless I can find a way to retrieve Timothy Leary from orbit and make him into a Lifegem (there are exceptions to everything)).

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:56 pm:

"calling a manufactured gem more real then one dug from the earth by de beers.
    that is what I was talking about."

it is that kind of materialism that is killing god. what a moronic comparison.

as for everything else you said, it still doesn't make any sense. the value of everything is dependent on market forces. Even gold goes up and down...nothing is stable in a market economy.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

Understood, sem, but "value" like that is always in the eye of the beholder.

unless you have a global society that is no longer consumed by personal and material possesions, then there will always have to be some sort of currency and trade system.

Now, apples have a real value. They actually do something.
    But, they rot.
    And production of apples can be increased or decreased by weather or human activities (planing, fertilizing, harvesting, etc.)
    Gold and gems could not.
    They could be mined, and more available, reducing their value a bit, but not as unstable as fruit or bread or something like that.

By wisper on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

i think the LifeGems idea is really interesting. I'm going to ask my mom if she'd want that done when she goes.

diamonds are indeed retarded.
    fake diamonds, slightly less.

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

"But, that's just it. It isn't real. The value isn't tangible. It's probably one of the most imaginary investments possible, as it's value is almost completely manufactured by society and an artificial scarcity created by DeBeers."

Wow, what a humanist statement.
    Man is indeed killing god.

What the heck? I think Antigone is referring to the fact that diamonds are not rare in nature, but their sale is extremely limited by this one corporation, which inflates their price way beyond their "actual" value. This is why the turnaround value of a diamond is so low -- if you buy a diamond for $5000, you won't see anything close to that amount if you try to sell it back to the store.

Read this: http://archive.salon.com/business/feature/2000/09/27/diamonds/

"Despite its elite status, the diamond, which can be found in abundance from southern Africa to Australia to northern Canada, is not the rarest of gems. With no intrinsic value, all a gem-quality diamond has to offer is the perception of its preciousness. As a symbol of eternal love, the tradition of the diamond engagement ring has become so pervasive that it's hard to believe that this is a fairly recent phenomenon. And an extremely calculated one -- the result of a marketing campaign developed at a time when the demand for diamonds had sunk to an all-time low and an increasing supply threatened the precious (as opposed to semiprecious) nature of the stones."

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

spunk what are you smoking?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

"Even gold goes up and down...nothing is stable in a market economy."

No, that is controlled by INFLATION.

Inflation is created when there is too much paper currency and not enough tangible assets.

Yes, and saying that something man made is more real then something nature made is humanist.

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

Thank you Spider...exactly what I mean. Market forces...everything else that drives value. If you have too many apples on your hands, or they are due to rot in a few weeks...come up with a creative aggressive marketing campaign.

Got apples?

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

Inflation is still a "market" force.. I am not talking about just consumption...maybe I should have said "economic" forces. The point is that there is no inherent value outside of the economy.

"Yes, and saying that something man made is more rreal then something nature made is humanist."

It's not the "realness," it's the inherent value. Antigone is saying that there is no inherent value to diamonds outside of what we assign them. By your logic dogshit is and should be just as valuable as diamonds

But if valuing the afghan my grandmother made me more than a diamond from the mall makes me a god-killing humanist so be it.

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

I think Spunky learned a new word recently and is excited to use it. I can relate.

Anyway, dude, you're misusing the word "humanist."

By kaz on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

dammit that was a stupid response. I can do better. Please ignore it or at least, don't view it as an indication of my ability to speak intelligently on such matters.....

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:38 pm:

we are not talking about personal value.

we are talking about global value.

your grandmother's quilt might be worth something to you, but not to the guy who is going to rebuild your house.
    he wants something that is of global value.

something he can use to pay for something he needs.

I was taught that humanism is putting the work and creation of man before the work and creation of god or nature.......

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

Spunky, no one is making such a broad philosophical gesture, except you. We're talking specifically about the diamond industry. Okay?

Diamonds have no true global value. They are semi-precious stones that have been forced into the "precious" category by one company faking their rarity. If DeBeers went out of business and diamonds could be bought and sold freely like other gem stones, you'd find that rock you spent $5000 on is worth (pulling a figure out of my hat here) $500. A ruby, on the other hand, is truly rare and is priced appropriately. If you buy a $5000 ruby, you could probably sell it for $5000.

So artificial diamonds threaten the monopoly that DeBeers holds over the diamond trade by allowing people to buy cheap what's worth cheap. Got it?

By kazoo on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

Well, I realize that. But my comment was more in response to your misuse of humanism and how you treated Antigone's response as somehow reflective of "man killing god."

Humanism is much more complicated than that.

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

WEll, you were obviously taught by someone who has no clue, no offense, but that's pretty obvious. Here's what Kurt Vonnegut has to say about humanism.

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

or to sum it up: being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.

By J on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

A really good Emerald is even rarer.It is classified as a beryl a mineral consisting of a silicate of beryllium and aluminum of great hardness and occurring in blue,greenish blue,yellow,pink or white hexagonal prisms.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

The Affirmations of Humanism:
    A Statement of Principles
    We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.
    We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.
    We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.
    We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.
    We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.
    We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.
    We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
    We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.
    We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.
    We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.
    We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.
    We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.
    We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.
    We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.
    We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.
    We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.
    We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.
    We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.
    We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.
    We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.
    We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Remember, I WAS raised in a christain environment, so to someone to beleives in God, the Bible, and Salvation, Humanism is the equivilent to Satanism.

Peronally, I don't think humans or any of our creations could ever compare to the art that nature can create.
    I think we as a race are flawed and generally full of ourselves.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

I think spunky has been reading too many conspiracy tracts about the gold standard and the Federal Reserve...

And, are you really saying, spunk, that if I reject DeBeers I'm rejecting god?

That's silly, really. I don't reject god, I just can't prove that he/she/it exists. However, I can prove that DeBeers exists. I call it the "Zales" test.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

And, anyway, DeBeers props up the value of diamonds above their actual value, as stated many times on this thread. DeBeers is a human institution. Thus, the value of diamonds is not mandated by god, but by man. That is, unless you say that god invluences the actions of the members of DeBeers to increase diamond's value. However, if you use that argument, I can easily argue that god is influencing the creaters of artificial diamonds to reduce their value. Maybe he's punishing all of those merchants in his temple for worshiping at the golden calf of wealth. :)

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

"And, are you really saying, spunk, that if I reject DeBeers I'm rejecting god?"

Ya, right on the nose. you got it.
    Further, Da Beers has been on this earth for thousands of years, and they influenced the druids and incans, and mayans, and egyptians.
    You got it.

Forget it.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

And, hey spunk, you can buy a $10000 diamond while there is a $500 alternative. It's your choice, for whatever reasons you want. No one's stopping you.

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:17 pm:

again.

is it anyone's fault you're all over the map and entirely confusing and unclear with poin tof views?

i don't think you understand humanism any more than you do the economics of the diamond trade, thus you bring to the table a lot of weird statements that send braniacs like kazoo and tiggy into a tailspin and then you are in awe when they interpret what you write.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

"I think we as a race are flawed and generally full of ourselves."

And, why do you think that your human mind and it's ideas about the nature of god would be immune from that?

You are full of the arrogance of man. You just express it as reverence of god.

Until you are humble you will never be able to see god, or nature for that matter.

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

and further....i bought my wife a diamond because thats what she wanted.

this whole "diamonds are dumb" point of view seems overtly rash.

we overpay for many things. thats no good reason.

when it comes to the courtship of a love with jewels, getting them what they want is the best course.

if your girl or guy wants a piece of fucking coal, its just as vaulable as a diamond or a ruby.

(ps-Kazoo, North Georgia used to be a haven for Ruby Mining. I've been panning for gold and rubys in the mtns, near the small town of Dahlonega, GA. You and sem would have a fantastic time wading in a creekbed up there. Ive actually panned rubys and gold up there)

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

Spunky, could you please please please address what I, Kazoo, and Sem have said to you RE diamonds, i.e., the topic at hand? Please?

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

"Further, Da Beers has been on this earth for thousands of years, and they influenced the druids and incans, and mayans, and egyptians. "

You just HAD to bring the Illuminati into this...

A lot of the Humanist principles agree with statements that spunky has made about his own beliefs, i noticed.

Anyway, diamonds are stupid and manipulative as decorations. As cutting implements and conductors, they seem pretty cool, though.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:24 pm:

Da Beers or the value of natural versus manufactured daimonds?
    Or the "real" value versus "intrinsic" value?

Or the fact that you would prefer the fake to the ral thing?

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

Fuck, I give up.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

Aw, c'mon Rhi! Don't give up!

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

"Anyway, diamonds are stupid and manipulative as decorations."

so are a lot of things. that doesnt stop us from doing them.

i don't see anything stupid or manipulative about giving my wife a diamond to put in the engagment ring i gave her because thats what she wanted. and it looks fucking gorgeous on her.

the giving of jewels to a love interest, regardless of global value, politics etc is a timeless ritual.

to judge and say one is more stupid than the others, is well....stupid.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

Did you read the article, spunk? With one of the emthods mentioned, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fake and the real thing.

So, if you can't tell the difference, are they different? How? Does a "real" diamond have a soul?

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

It's worse than talking to a wall, because at least you don't expect anything from the wall.

Patrick, it's *not* a timeless ritual. Read the Salon article I linked to -- the association between diamonds and love was a marketing ploy dreamed up only recently.

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

Look, I'll post it AGAIN:

"As a symbol of eternal love, the tradition of the diamond engagement ring has become so pervasive that it's hard to believe that this is a fairly recent phenomenon. And an extremely calculated one -- the result of a marketing campaign developed at a time when the demand for diamonds had sunk to an all-time low and an increasing supply threatened the precious (as opposed to semiprecious) nature of the stones."

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

no.

im not saying giving of *DIAMONDS* is a timeless ritual.

the giving of precious items, stones, jewelry of all sorts by male suitors to females is timeless.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

"Did you read the article, spunk? With one of the emthods mentioned, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fake and the real thing.

So, if you can't tell the difference, are they different? How? Does a "real" diamond have a soul?"

Yes, and I said I understand where you are coming from.
    You may not put a value on these things.
    This will have consequences.
    Not only to big corporations, but to small mom and pop shops. And there are some families and countries that use precious stones as a fall back
    on if the economy tanks.

What I don't get is why you think thier (the diamonds) value is a myth created by corporations.
    That simply makes no sense to me.
    That sounds more "Illuminati"esque in the consipiracy realm then what I have said......

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

The geni is out of the bottle, there is no going back. The consequences to the global economy will be an interesting study.

I can't wait to see the next generation processors that come out of this, though.

Finally, a break on the performance barrier!

By Nate on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

spunk, what you don't understand is that DeBeers has literal warehouses FULL of diamonds. if those diamonds hit the market, the price of diamonds would totally fall. but since DeBeers controls the source of diamonds, they can make them as rare as they want to and set the price accordingly.

this is what everyone is trying to tell you.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

"spunk, what you don't understand is that DeBeers has literal warehouses FULL of diamonds."
    Um, ok....
    How did you come across this information?
    Do they advertise this fact?
    Is that common knowledge?
    If it is, then how are they able to get away with it?
    How are they (DeBeers) able to keep other corporations from filling thier own wherehouses and selling the diamonds at, say $50 less a karat?
    How would this work unless DeBeers was able to own all diamond mines on earth? And have all diamonds on earth in thier warehouses?
    OPEC isn't even capable of such a feat....

By Spider on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

Spunky. Read the article I linked to. The answers are in there.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

"This will have consequences."

Of course it will. Do you see very many horse and carriage corporations around?

No. We have cars now?

Did many mom 'n' pop horse and carriage business go under when the horseless carriage came around?

Yep.

Why aren't you championing them?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

still a lot of horse dealers about today.

carriage dealers (manufacturers) became car manufacturers. they adapted or they died out.

diamonds (gems) were made by nature. not man.
    That was my point.....

By heather on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

i couldn't read all that due to lack of attention span, but nothing has *real* or permanent value

if i'm dying of thirst i'll give you all the whatever i have for water but you can put your diamonds where the sun don't shine

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

Oh, no I missed the salon article.

I went out on my own and found tons of stuff by Illuminati conspiracy theorists.

Oppenhiemer has been linked with Rothchild, Morgan and Stanley......

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

"How are they (DeBeers) able to keep other corporations from filling thier own wherehouses and selling the diamonds at, say $50 less a karat?"

Because mining them and processing them may cost more than that.

But, if you were in the diamond business, would you want DeBeer's monopoly destroyed? Not likely, when you could sell your product for ten times what it cost you to produce it, and people would gladly pay that much. Why buck the system?

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

"diamonds (gems) were made by nature. not man.
    That was my point....."

A pointless point, that doesn't back up your economic argument in the least, but I'll grant that it's a point.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:26 pm:

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

"but you can put your diamonds where the sun don't shine"

given the extreme pressure in which diamonds are made, perhaps we could have a cross process of sorts and exact another, new jewel all together, by putting them where the sun dont shine, and removing them once maximum rectal pressure has been exerted.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

"But, if you were in the diamond business, would you want DeBeer's monopoly destroyed? Not likely, when you could sell your product for ten times what it cost you to produce it, and people would gladly pay that much. Why buck the system?"

True. That statement makes sense to me.

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

ok.

that was dumb.

i admit.

i need to eat. my stomach is starting to eat itself.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

From the article you posted, spunk:

"But the U.S. Justice Department doesn't see it that way. It has attempted to prosecute De Beers for antitrust violations....Citing insufficient evidence, a federal judge dismissed the indictment."

Do you think it's a coincidence that one of the artificial diamond companies is headed by a former Army brigadier general?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

What other illusion would you like to shatter today?

My god, we're all worthless pigs!

You there! Put down your hammer, that house is of no value to the man who's stomach has begun to eat itself...

And you, how dare you even think of eating that hershey's bar!

Your eating an african kid's flesh dammit!

And you, proposing to that woman, how dare you give her something as worthless as diamonds!
    You might as well be giving her dogshit on a ring!

By straightjacketedspunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

Spunk, you can twist anything in your mind to be a liberal godless destruction of your traditional values world, can't you?

This change in the diamond market is being brought about by a former Army general from Florida using the free market and good old fashioned American ingenuity to produce and sell his wares. Somehow, to you, this is a twisting of traditional American values?

You're just a twisted one trick ideological pony.

By patrick on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

dramatic pussy

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:14 pm:

I think he's been hitting the 'tussin again.

By semillama on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

Could be.

Diamonds wouldn't be worth anything if we lacked the technology to cut them. That's one reason the value of diamonds is not an inherent property.

"What other illusion would you like to shatter today?"

Which ever one you care to stand up.

"My god, we're all worthless pigs!"

Well, pigs, no. We aren't pigs. We are humans. Our worth? that's a product of several factors and viewpoints. Five billion years from now, everybody is worthless. 140 years ago in some parts of this country, the worth of a certain type of person was very well defined. Outside of the human mind, there is no "worth."

"You there! Put down your hammer, that house is of no value to the man who's stomach has begun to eat itself..."

It's up to the man himself to determine the worth of his house. Again, value=ontological construct.

"And you, how dare you even think of eating that hershey's bar!

Your eating an african kid's flesh dammit!"

This one just puzzles me to no end, since I am unaware of any exploitation of african children to produce chocolate, although there could be. And the worth of the chocolate bar should include both the positive effects it's production adds to society AND any negative effects (something anathema to conservatives, I've noticed).

"And you, proposing to that woman, how dare you give her something as worthless as diamonds!
    You might as well be giving her dogshit on a ring!"

Might as well, if that's what she values. If she likes diamonds, give her diamonds. If she likes the pretty pebble you found for her on the first beach you walked on together, give her that. Whatever, man. In the end, it's all the same.

Do you get the point YET?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

"You there! Put down your hammer, that house is of no value to the man who's stomach has begun to eat itself..."

That meant you have to look beyond yourself and beyond any value a single item has to you, and realize it's not all about you.
    It's about the man working on the house, and his family. They company that makes that hammer.
    And the company that makes the nails that that man is going to use the hammer on.

"And you, how dare you even think of eating that hershey's bar!

Your eating an african kid's flesh dammit!"

Here

"And you, proposing to that woman, how dare you give her something as worthless as diamonds!
    You might as well be giving her dogshit on a ring!"

And again, look beyond yourself.

By wisper on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

"So artificial diamonds threaten the monopoly "

yeah, but the beauty of all this is that they're 100% real diamonds, and not artificial at all. Same stuff, just made faster.
    An onion is still an onion, whether it comes from the dirt ground or a hydrophonic farmhouse.
    I'm hyped about this. Diamonds will be used to help technology where they never could before because somebody needs a new pair of glittery earrings. It is such a waste.

You know what used to be worth a lot of money? Tea. Tea was worth more than gold, and now we can buy 100 bags for a dollar at any store.

i wait hopefully for the days when diamonds are as precious as plastic.

imagine when they find a way to make gold....?

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

Dunno about sem or the rest, but I am looking beyond myself. Why do you think otherwise?

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

"Spunk, you can twist anything in your mind to be a liberal godless destruction of your traditional values world, can't you? "

There was a time, when I could not do that.

You all changed all of that.
    :P

By TBone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

That's just the first step.

By Nate on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

you guys are all so inconsistant it is ridiculous.

you should be ashamed.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

How so? Explain.

By Nate on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

just shut your fucking ass and concentrate on being ashamed. it would do you a world of good.

By Antigone on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:00 pm:

Like the good it's done you, preacher man?

By eri on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:17 pm:

OK, I am not even going to pretend that I can keep up with all that is happening on this thread......

Back to TATOOS AND BODY PIERCINGS!!!!!

So I went to this one place that was recommended by a friend. Decided to check it out. They have been in business and licensed since 1969. The guy who opened the shop is currently working on my sketch. Everyone else has been there at least 10 years. I watched them put a tat on one girls ankle. It was very detailed and it looked great.

They are working with the size of my tattoo. They made my sketch bigger, to fit around my navel but then realized that my navel is small, so if they have to go with the biggest size then it will cost me $60, but they will probably be able to shrink it down some and then it will cost less.

These guys had TONS and TONS of different art work on display, covering all the walls and rows and rows of books and stands all over the place. They give you pics to show the work that they do. They take a lot of pride in their work. They are very skilled at what they do. Their shop is a small place on a side road that most people don't like the location of, but it is clean, and legal, and sanitary, and damn do they do a lot of good work.

So I will be going there, as soon as I have the money.

By moonit on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:24 pm:

Yay Eri.

We just found out our bear cat has feline lukemia.

I'm sad.

By spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:39 pm:

what is a bear cat?
    We had a coon cat once...

By brother spunky on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:45 pm:

This might seem pretty strange... But even if you are not a believer, you
    should read this... What is the shortest chapter in the Bible?
    Answer - Psalms 117

What is the longest chapter in the Bible?
    Answer - Psalms 119

Which chapter is in the center of the Bible?
    Answer - Psalms 118

There are 594 chapters before Psalms 118.
    There are 594 chapters after Psalms 118.

Add up the 594 plus 594, and you get 1188.

What is the center verse in the Bible?
    Answer - Psalms 118:8

Does this verse say something significant about God's perfect will for
    our lives?
    The next time someone says they would like to find God's perfect will
    for their lives and that they want to be in the center of His will, just send
    them to the center of His Word!

Psalms 118:8 (NKJV) "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put
    confidence in man."
    Now isn't it amazing how this worked out (or was God in the center of it)?

Before sending this, I said a prayer for you.
    Do you have a minute? 60 seconds for God? All you need to do is simply say
    a small prayer for the person who posted this.

"Father God bless spunky in whatever it is that you know he may be needing this day! And may spunky's life be full of your peace,
    prosperity and power as he seeks to have a closer relationship with You.
    In Jesus's Name
    Amen."

By Nate on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:32 pm:

that's not the center of my bible, heathen. maybe the center of the dirty revolutionary bible.

not my bible.

By moonit on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:07 am:

A bear cat would be a cat (tabby) that we called Bear.

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:43 am:

Oh, sad.
    I'm sorry moonit.

This isn't really about body modification or diamonds, but all my mom's jewelry (minus what she wore to work) was stolen two weeks ago so I'm making some for her birthday. I found a string of small jade hearts so I'm making her a pair of earrings and a bracelet.

I have my great-grandmother's wedding ring, ninety some years old, suspected to be synthetic. It's pretty though. I never wear it because it'll get caught on things.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:57 am:

By J on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 02:13 am:

Oh they'll all come out to see me when I ride,oh they'll all come out to see me when I ride,oh they'll all come out to see me,they'll all come out to see me when I ride!! Yee haw

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 02:18 am:

I'm a rock, but a very soft rock.

Ow.

By Spider on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:03 am:

Lapis, I'm sorry your mom had to experience that. Was anything else taken? Do you or she suspect who might have done it?

Moonit, I'm sorry about your poor cat.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:05 am:

I look so far beyond myself that you can't even comprehend it, spunky. I would have thought that the point I was arguing made that clear.

At one point, chicken was considered a delicacy that only the rich could afford to eat regularly. Ishn't dat VEIRD?

By sarah on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:10 am:

"Kazoo and I both agree there will be no diamond engagement rings (unless I can find a way to retrieve Timothy Leary from orbit and make him into a Lifegem (there are exceptions to everything))."

dude. you made coffee spurt out my nose.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Craptakula this thread is getting long.

Just pierce the dicks and the clits and end the god damn thing already. Oh and by the way, squeezing your loved ones into "lifegems" WHAT THE FLYING HELL PEOPLE. Just burn them or bury them, but don't squeeze them into gems. (Launching them into space is an acceptable alternative to burning or burying.)

By TBone on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 12:53 pm:

I dunno... I like the idea of making family members into diamonds. The unloved ones can then be used to in oil drills or mining machinery. The rest can be sold on the black market to maintain my drug habit.
    Heh. Imagine the look on your fiance's face when you lovingly slide the ring onto her finger and say, "Aw, look. I think Mom likes you."

By Hal on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

Ok you have a point there.

By kazu on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

"The unloved ones can then be used to in oil drills or mining machinery."

Are you kidding? I think this is exactly where my blue-collar union-man grandfather would want to be.

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

"unless I can find a way to retrieve Timothy Leary from orbit and make him into a Lifegem"

Did you know that I have Timothy Leary's autograph on a developmental psychology textbook? He came to my college to debate and that's the only thing I had with me when I chatted with him afterwards. :)

By J on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

I'm in awe and jealous,what did you talk about?

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

Oh, and just to touch back on the diamond thing for a moment: Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp just demonstrated a diamond semiconductor that runs at 81GHz. They're targeting 200GHz.

These diamond chips are created in the same way as the artificial diamonds talked about above.

Still think natural diamonds are better, spunkster?

By eri on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

Why is there so much debate about whether or not natural diamonds are better/worse than man made diamonds? I mean, in the grand scheme of things, exactly how important is it, really?

There is just too much crap about diamonds to read now.

I have all natural diamonds, in my ears (all 3 holes on both sides) necklaces and some beautiful rings. I like em. I also have fakies that I like too. I don't see what the big deal is all about.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

the big deal is that according to spunk there are people and whole countries who have come to rely on the artifically inflated value of real diamonds. when fake diamonds deflate the value of diamonds to a rational level it is going to ruin lives everywhere.

kinda like when the chickens came down so us common folk could eat 'em.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

or grapes

By spunky on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

except we still have not figured out how to make chicken or grapes like nature does, just the important things like diamonds....

By spunky on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

I was going to say family fortunes are not invested in chickens, but I know a lot of folks in Arkansas that would argue that point.......

By Nate on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

your point is lost on my simple mind, but KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT, BROTHER.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

what's the point.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

Point Amber is a real good beer, especially in the context of a decent bar with a good jukebox and a pool table.

By Lapis on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 05:01 pm:

Almost all my mom's jewelry, my dad's cufflinks and box with pictures and old glasses in it along with the only set of keys to the old t-bird, a bucket of change and all my sister's nice jewelry (including some that my grandmother gave her, originally a present from my grandfather) and a couple of bags.

They slipped a window out of the frame in the garage and got in that way. The lawn was getting sprayed that day and they saw someone sneaking around in the bushes and assumed it was a neighbor.

By J on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

I hate theives,I got ripped off too,but I think it was an inside job,probably Ryan.He's out of the house now and we've changed the locks...again.

By eri on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

Yeah, I think when we got ripped off it was an inside job, too. Like a friend or something.

So I am going to call and make my appointment.....Friday evening...woo hoo.

Am I going to need to post pics after I get this done?

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 02:36 pm:

sure. Give me your email address and I will send you a picture of what NOT to get on your belly (non-offensive image)

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

Yes.

Lately I've been dreaming about my things (not the junk, but things I use, like my camera and the musical instruments) either burning or disappearing entirely and I'm sometimes frantic sometimes completely indifferent.

Thieves are like liars, I feel sorry for them, a little, but they need to understand that what they do is wrong and what they do hurts others.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

Man, that sucks, Lapis. I can only imagine how you and your family must feel. I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:15 pm:

Lapis - can you recommend any websites for non-ferrous (no iron) ear hoops?

By spunky on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

her email

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

Gol, I have no clue where to find that. The only jewelry I've worn lately is my chain (mostly because I can't take it off) and the odd necklace.

Why no iron, Sem?

By eri on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

Go ahead and send me the pics sem. I will have Spunky take some of mine after I get home or something.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

iron is magnetic and screws up this piece of remote sensing equipment I want to learn to operate, which measures variations in magnetic fields below the ground surface.

Tbone already said titanium, but he said it's also very expensive, and I would like to keep 10-gauge rings in my ears.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:19 pm:

Sem, you can get surgical grade stainless steel which is non-magnetic. Titanium is the way to go, but TBone is right, its fucking like platinum when it comes to cost.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

sem, they make plastic ear rings and retainers, also ones made of bone and wood.

or also, can't you just take em' out when you're with the machine? a 10 gauge isn't going to close up too fast.....probably takes days.

By eri on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

Thanks for the pic sem. It was funny. I really don't know what advice to offer about your earrings. Mine are all........get this......14k gold and.....natural diamonds in all 3 holes on both sides. :)

By J on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 08:09 pm:

By agatha on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 03:20 am:

By semillama on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:39 am:

Taking them out is not an option since it's freaking impossible for me to get the beads back in them. I'll check out those websites.

By TBone on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:05 am:

Damn. I guess it's not as expensive as I thought. Why is titanium camping equipment so rediculously spendy?

By Hal on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:22 am:

Different kind of Titanium TBone.

By TBone on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:38 am:

Wouldn't ear-insertion titanium be more pure and expensive than tent-stake titanium?

By semillama on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

Wouldn't there be more titanium in tent stakes than in an earring?

By Czarina on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

why not let your money work for you? Adorn yourself with tent-stake titanium stakes,[this would solve Sems problem of getting the little beads back in].
    You'd be the first on your block to do this...........a real trend setter.

AND, as an added bonus, if you were camping, you'd be all set to pitch that tent.

By TBone on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I guess it scales fairly well. I forget how little metal is used for earrings. Silly me.
    Titanium tent stakes would make great ear-ware. They're certainly light enough.

By Spider on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

What would you expect to pay for a titanium earring? Is it comparable to buying gold?

By TBone on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

J's link above has some examples.

By Lapis on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

Bike spokes!

By agatha on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:00 pm:

Czarina! Stick around, would you?

By eri on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 01:25 am:

I did it!!!!!!

I went to the tattoo parlor and I did it!!!!!

Woo hoo!

The artist did an absolutely amazing job. I mean, he really did a great job. He took my sketch and added his own touch and I love it. He also gave me some anti-microbal soap that has the ointment in it. I didn't have to buy any soaps or ointments or anything. I gave the guy a nice tip.

I will try to have spunky take a picture of it.

By Nate on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 01:29 am:

have him do it now. picture. now.

By eri on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:09 am:

I'll have him get pics sometime today. Geez, I have been so busy lately. I hope I have time to get everything I need to done!

By spunky on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

By J on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

It's really nice,did it hurt?

By kazu on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

look at eri's pretty tummy-tattoo

By eri on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

I expected it to be a lot more painful than it was. I was suprised easy it was.

I went over to a friend of mines this morning. She is wanting another tattoo, and wanted to see the work this place did to decide if she wanted to get her next tattoo there. I then discovered that my friends were psyching me out, making me think it was going to be worse that it is, to make it easier.......it worked. I even fell for the "Take two tylenol an hour before you go" trick.

Woo hoo!!!! I did it and I didn't chicken out!!!

By Hal on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

Uhh don't take anything before a tattoo. Its just a bad idea period.

By moonit on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

Love it. I have to get my dragon soon.

By eri on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

Thanks Moonit!!!!

My best friend S called while I was getting it done and now she is pissed at me. She had said that she wanted us to get matching tats on the small of our backs (she says my belly button will sag one day and it will look like shit) but she backed out of it, so I got this one (would have gotten it anyways. She wanted me to get it done while she was here, so she could go with me. She said it is a lifechanging moment and she wanted to be there for it. Whatever.

I told my parents I finally went thru with it, and my mom had a million questions.....how bad did it hurt? Blah blah blah. Next time she comes out here to visit (probably next summer) she wants me to take her to this shop to get her tattoo done.......either a gecko or a celtic knot. I have another friend that wants to go there and check out there stuff, cuz she wants a celtic knot arm band, and another friend who wants to go see stuff and get a tattoo. I am the apartment complex trendsetter...hehehe.

It's starting to scab up a little now. I don't know how much is normal or not, but it still looks good, you can't see the scabs, but I can feel them.

By wisper on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

it's sweet, eri.

By eri on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

Thank you wisper. I am happy with it. He took my sketch and then added the rest freehand. I am just really happy with it. It is exactly what I wanted.

By Platypus on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:11 pm:

scabs are most normal.

don't pick. whatever you do.

i'm sure you got an aftercare sheet and all, but DON'T PICK.

By eri on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:37 pm:

I have no desire to pick at it. I am not big on picking scabs anyways, but I am afraid that if I picked at it I would end up picking the ink out and it would look shitty, so I am just going to clean it and leave it alone.

At least I know that the scabbing is normal. Everyone out here told me that you want to avoid getting a scab altogether and I kept thinking, I have been cleaning it right, 6 times a day, just like they said and its scabbing.....am I doing something wrong that I don't know about?

Hopefully I will be done with the must wash constantly phase soon and can just let it heal over.

And the company picnic is in a week........Sorry guys, can't go swimming, got a new tattoo......that would go over really well :p

By V.v. on Monday, September 1, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

Eri,i have been thinking of getting the mole on the left side of my ribs made into a spider,[it allready has some hairs growing out of it],so i just need eight legs on it to make it look real cool,[and creepy]

By eri on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 12:04 am:

That sounds funny. I would like to see that!

By J on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 11:56 am:

My memory is sooo bad these days,but I'll never forget seeing some crazy hippie hitchhiking with his shirt off,his arm held up high and he had a tatoo of a womans leg on the side of his ribs below the armpit and a womans leg on the inside of his arm above his hairy armpit,it was a visual thing,I don't know how he expected to get a ride like that.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 02:39 pm:

eri and j,you are both total nuts,same as me,thats the reason i love you both so much.Its so hard to put across my feelings for you both on a computer keyboard,yet i feel you both have an understanding of the way an Eastern European male witch thinks.LADY BLESS.

By V.V. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

ERI,you have got me thinking about that dam disgusting hairy mole on my left ribcage,if i have it made into a spider,i will post it on this site.LADY BLESS.

By J on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 05:27 pm:

I like you too V.v. your a trip:)

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

J,i need constructive ideas from you.so what would YOU do with a mole on your left lower rib?ice cubes and a big knife perhaps?

By J on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

No,go to a doctor,I know lasers can remove them.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

j,you mean evan quarter inch across?i was born with this dam monstrosity and i really hate it,its one of the main reasons why i dont go swimming no more.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 11:15 am:

You just need a good story to go with it. Tell people it's not actually a mole, but an old stab would from a fountain pen when you you were in Catholic school. You called a nun a whore, and she rushed you.

By semillama on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

excellent!!

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

TBone,how come you know i went to Catholic school?i expect you figure Russian Orthodox Schools are rare outside of Russia and the Baltic States,[thats true]there fore the only alternative is Catholic Schools[also true]your train of thought is excellent.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

TBone,i swear there is more than a touch of White Witch in you.

By Testor on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

test

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

Testor,what kind of test?Latin?with that i am NULLA SECUNDUS [second to none]

By TBone on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

Catholic School stories are always the best ones.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

catholic school story:
    Religion class.
    Some pro-life guest speaker shows up with a video, aimed at a teen audience. It's one of those glorious ones with 'hip' wording and 'mtv style' camera work. It's a drama about a girl who goes to an abortion clinic but halfway through.... the soul of her unborn fetus talks her out of it.
    The voice of the fetus?

Jonathan Taylor Thomas

no shit.

By eri on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 08:12 pm:

catholic school story:

end of last year at school. Go to class, all the desks are being pushed out of the way for an unexpected dance. Cool right? A couple of the "popular" kids bring in tapes and we are all dancing around the classroom and the song "Push It" by Salt n Pepa is playing (yes it was a long time ago). All of the nuns start laughing and the teacher comes running into the classroom from another room, picks up her tape player, throws it on the ground and stomps on it and says "Now I find that to be a little inappropriate".

By Hal on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

Ahh yes Catholic School Stories...

This one time, me and this chick, were gettin down and ....

WAIT a sec, ooooh Catholic School stories, not Catholic School Girl stories. I got confused.

By TBone on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

"Catholic schoolgirls. The uniform's what does it for me. I wish I'd went with more Catholic schoolgirls when I was a kid. As it stands, I have no 'And then she unzipped her jumper' stories."

By V.v. on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

Then make one up,OR do what i did years ago,at 11p.m.slowly climb over the walls of a Catholic girls school,ALLMOST get to have sex with one of them,then get punched in the face by an insomniac nun,[i got out of that place so fast,i left my pants behind]

By sarah on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

swine, ask denise if she knows mike leger (pronounced "ledger") from nyc, now in honolulu.

By V.v. on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

Denise,do you know Mike Leger from nyc,now in Honolulu.?

By V.v. on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

to all you Catholic virgins,THANKS FOR NOTHING.

By V.v. on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

Hal,if you find sex a pain in the ass,you must be doing it wrong.

By eri on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 09:50 pm:

I may have been a catholic school girl a long time ago, but I sure as hell am not a virgin :p

By Nate on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:04 am:

my neighbors are fucking.

or arguing.

or taking a crap.

<moan>
    <sound of toilet seat going up>
    "Oh! You god DAMN whore!"
    <giggles>
    "FUCKING what?!"
    "ewwwww!"

when i was a young catholic boy i learned how to fuck women, smoke cigarettes, cuss, spit, shoplift and ride a motorbike.

By eri on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:53 am:

I have been fortunate not to hear my neighbors much, but there is a new family moving in upstairs this week so only time will tell.....

When I was a young catholic schoolgirl I learned how to be a true social outcast, how to befriend the one bad girl in school, cuss, sneak smokes in the parking lot and how to avoid participating in all sports, and I became an expert at sleeping through religion class.

At least your neighbors are entertaining Nate.

By Czarina on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Nuns creep me out.

By patrick on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

i havent heard any neighbors gettin it on, but i had a really really naughty dream last night and it will have a residual effect on me for probably most of the day.

do you know the type?

the type of dream? the kind that sticks with you even thought the specifics fade...the sensation and residue last?

god damn im in trouble

and for the record, hearing people fuck can be so god damn intriguing, but its best you don't know what they look like.

By V.v. on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Patrick,woke up with that stirring in the loins,but im dam if i can remember the porno dream i had.

By Lapis on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

I had a dream that I climbed a big old iron fence around a park and couldn't get down, o I dropped my bag to someone standing below, a policeman scared me and chased me over, then my bag was thrown over the fence to me. After that I walked back around the fence and to a bar where I sat next to an old fling who asked me to hold onto his hat, sketchbook and sunglasses while he kissed the girl sitting on his other side. I threw his things to the ground and stalked out.

Before that, I was hanging at the new anarchist clown house with caffeine (she had her face off) waiting for her daughter to get home from school.

By V.v. on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

Lapis,i still get them dreams about flesh eating pitbulls running after me,trying to bite my ass.My porno dreams are few and far between,and i wish i had more of them.

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 12:26 am:

I visited them today (the anarchist clowns) by accident. I was biking to get some food and I saw Dingo waving from the yard so of course I stop and get a tour from Robin (the daughter, age fiveish).

It looks almost exactly how I dream: light, bright, warm colored, fairly empty downstairs. It has a very good feel to it, like breathing. Breathing feels good.

They have a nine-month old pitbull named Banjo and she is a lovely dog that protects the little girl.

By Hal on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 11:29 am:

Clowns scare the hell out of me.

All I ask darlin, is if I come to Portland, can we avoid the clowns please.

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

so now that i'm talking about clowns it's if?!

the clowns are good and cool people. if you don't want to meet good and cool people you don't have to meet them. i wasn't planning on walking all over portland, "hi ________, this is hal, he's from montana."

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 08:31 pm:

Hal,only you and me know the real truth about clowns,they live in sewers,entice children to join them in ballon blowing competitions,then eat them.,and some of them work for Mc.Donalds.

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 08:36 pm:

I dont like the sound of them ANTI-CHRIST CLOWNS that Lapis meet.

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 08:36 pm:

Bah, you folks never see them without the paint.

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 08:47 pm:

EXACTLY MY POINT,without paint we would see the horns,tails,and cloven hoofs

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 08:56 pm:

Maybe you would through your anticlown prejudice.

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:10 pm:

Lapis,o.k.so Hal and i may have been influenced just a tad by the STEPHEN KING book,tell us then,just what is the persona of a Clown?

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:17 pm:

It depends on the clown. Clowns are born human beings. They're people just like you and me. They just slap on a little paint and put on some funny clothes and do weird things on purpose, whatever will get people to watch the show.

I used to be the gorilla for a clown troupe, for about six months off and on.

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:39 pm:

Lapis,when my father was a kid,he work for a while in Moscow State Circus as a tent rigger,but he did not get to meet any clowns,they kept well away from him,as did everone [he was also a bare knuckle prize fighter]so my family knows nothing about Clowns,apart from i read in IF.

By V.v. on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:46 pm:

Lapis,i still find it hard to belive Clowns dont eat human flesh.

By Lapis on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

If? You mean It?

Stephen King writes laughable horror novels. They have nothing to do with reality.

Now I have not read It but I think that any portrayal of clowns in a novel such as that would be a completely inaccurate portrayal of clowns.

My friends the clowns are very nice people. I used to babysit their little girl sometimes. They know all their neighbors and take an active stance in the community. Dingo does odd jobs around the neighborhood, Caffeine works as a baker at a local cafe and makes natural dog treats (as in: safe and tasty even for kids) to sell.

They play political music and do sideshow acts. Like laying in glass and making balloon animals. And a lot of stupid stuff but not every day. That's on the videos and some of the people who dress up as clowns are scary.

I was in training to be a clown when I worked with them, I might try it again. I was going to be a stiltwalking clown (imagine being six feet tall and then adding three feet of stilts, scary?) who was a kleptomaniac. I was trying to design prosthetic hands for myself, puppet arms that would add to my reach as well, but I couldn't get my designs to work.

By Hal on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 09:55 am:

My fear of clowns has nothing to do with Stephen King, in fact the only Stephen King novel I've ever read was "The Stand."

I don't know why, but clowns scare the hell out of me, the very premise of clowns is scary to me. Don't ask me why, I can't answer it.

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 10:01 am:

I know lots of people who are afraid of clowns.

I thought being afraid of clowns was really common, especially in little kids.

By J on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

I posted here before about my fear of clowns,one scared the shit out of me when I was 4 at the circus and I've hated them every since then.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

Some of them do encourage the fear. I don't. My friends don't.

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

clowning, that is.

Clow:

1. By-form of cloy v. in various literal senses: To fasten with nails; to wound with a nail; to spike

2a. An implement resembling a dung-fork with the prongs bent at right angles, used for dragging dung out of cow-stalls.

2b. Hence clow v.2, to drag or rake with a clow.

I guess clowing is serious business too.

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

i think hippies are scarier than clowns.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

If Roger Mc. Donald thinks its funny to give us food poisoning,he is a real sick in the head dude.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Also I have a lot of respect for Batman,but I dont like that evil clown THE JOKER.

By heatgher on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

roger mcdonald

ronald's evil twin

that *is* scary

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 03:12 pm:

I recon Roger Mc.Donald and The Joker are BOTH evil,[and twins]

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

Kazu,dont you think THE JOKER looks like a flesh eating transvestite pervert?

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

Lapis,the Stephen King book was indeed IT and not IF.

By Hal on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

Nah Hippies are harmless, they are every where around here. The thing about hippies you have to watch out for is their dogs, those fuckers can be downright nasty.

Oh and if you have an allergy to pachulli (or however its spelled.) RUN, RUN FAST AND FAR.

Hippie women really scare me, something about the personal hygine thing. I don't know but women who have more leg hair then I do, frighten me. And I'm like a fuckin hobbit. Not to mention the underarm hair is a little disturbing as well.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

Hal,you just need to put up a sign that says,THIS WAY TO WOODSTOCK,and they will be gone like a herd of buffalo in the night.

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

I don't know any flesh eating transvestite perverts, I think you need to find some new friends, V.v. The Joker is a little freaky looking.

By Czarina on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 08:11 pm:

Clowns are tricky.

By eri on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 09:18 pm:

I know transvestites, transexuals, and perverts, but can't say I am acquainted with any flesh eaters....I must be hanging out with the wrong crowds :)

By Lapis on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 11:38 pm:

They do not go by all the ethics codes. They're renegades.

I used to have a bit of armpit hair, but I've gotten in the habit of shaving again. Easier to go three days without a shower (without stinking) that way.

Here's a new topic for this thread: how much hair does everyone have?

By kazu on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 12:31 am:

I stopped shaving my armpits once to see what would happen. I got about a half an inch and I had to shave because I couldn't stop thinking about my armpits.

I shave my legs. The only time I really stopped was when I lived in Syracuse and we had this ridiculously narrow shower and I wasn't seeing anyone and I wore pants all the time because it was always cold. I know some women, like my old friend C., who have nice, light hair that just looks kind of fuzzy when they don't shave. That looks kind of cute. Mine does not, it looks kind of matted and slimy so I shave.

I also get my brows waxed about 4-5 times a year, and my upper lip maybe once or twice a year.

Sometimes I have to pluck a few dark hairs from my neck or chin, like one or two. It's a neat feeling, I like it.

I have a little hair on my tummy--a happy trail of sorts--that I waxed obsessively when I first started seeing Sem.

By Platypus on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:40 am:

I shave my pits for hygiene purposes. My legs/arms have such fine silky hair that it would be silly. Actually, people think I do shave my legs and have to brought uncomfortably close to prove this. I also trim and wax de bush.

My eyebrows are quite cute as is, though. My whole face is, really. I am mustache free! Actually, I am an equal opportunity face/pit hair hater, I think no one should have hair there. As far as the hair down there, everyone could probably use a little trim now and then.

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:06 am:

I occasionally pluck my eyebrows when they get too close together, which is every four to six weeks or so, rather like getting a haircut.

I have an annoying hair on my left arm which grows out of a mole. It is almost black and gets to be up to an inch long. I pluck it every time I notice it and can find my tweezers.

I shave my pits almost every time I shower. Sometimes I'll skip it, and I'll get all stubbly and then I shave the next time because stubbly is annoying.

There's maybe two or three hairs between belly button and bush, which are also plucked every so often.

Generally I like my pubic hair, I've never trimmed it though I shaved it once and it itched like hell for the next few days. Though it would be nice to not have any during that time. I do enjoy washing it, lather is nice.

With legs, they are bare in summer, and hairier in winter. I'll shave them tomorrow.

By Nate on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:35 am:

hal,

i fail to believe you have more hippies in montana than i have here in santa cruz.

regards,
    phil miup

By moonit on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 06:41 am:

I shave my legs when I remember too. I'm lucky to have quite fine blonde hair there. Armies I do every couple of days, pluck my own eyebrows but when I feel like a treat I get my lashes tinted and a brow wax at the same time.

By Hal on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:32 am:

I'm a hobbit.

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

Hairy feet?

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

Hal,dont care what you are,your a dam fine HOMBRE.

By agatha on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 02:56 pm:

I'm hairy. I use clippers on my legs and armpits every few weeks. No eyebrow issues.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

LAPIS,You are a real nice person in my opinion,so i give you a real streight opinion to your q,sometimes i shave my pubes,sometimes not,depends on the girls preference.,sometimes i shave the girls pubes,[and i try real hard not to nick them]

By TBone on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

I'm not so good a growing hair. It's all extremely fine.
    I can grow a little on my chin, but my cheeks still don't need any sort of regular shaving.
    I don't shave my head anymore, nor is it currently green.

By V.v. on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

TBone,you allways give good advice,so tell me,Dire Straits,Mark Knopfler,you like them,or hate them?what do you think bro?

By Hal on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 07:32 pm:

TBone knows, if I don't shave for like a week I get hairy. He probably doesn't know about the feet but yeah darlin... I have hobbit feet.

By TBone on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:05 pm:

I am not qualified to give advice on this matter.
    And Hal, I'm not quite so savvy as you imagine on the details of your hair growth.

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:14 pm:

yeah id back away from that one real slowly tbone.

By Lapis on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 08:49 pm:

Hee! Hair is funny. I could make some sort of disparaging comment at this time but I'll refrain myself from doing so. Doot.

I also have a tiny soft (almost) furry patch on the small of my back.

By J on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 11:51 am:

Shaved pubes bad,waxed pubes good.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

once again, J, you're making your platform to my liking.

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

J is wise. I don't plan on doing either though.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

LAPIS,shaven pubes is o.k. but WOW DOES IT ITCH WHEN IT RE-GROWS.

By J on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:35 am:

I have to have a big old wad of self loathing to work up the nerve to do it,but it's all good,and you don't get that nasty stubble.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

I FEEL ITS MY DUTY TO STATE SWEDISH BLOND PUBES ARE SEE THROUGH,DONT MAKE NO DIFFERENCE IF THEM GIRLS SHAVE ,EM OR NOT.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

MALE SORABJIS,get yourselfs to SWEDEN,over there its o.k. for girls to come on strong to GUYS they like,[sounds good to me]I got chatted up 3 times in 5 mins,just on my way to the shops for cigs.p.s. the only thing thats cheap in Sweden is Porno,but its real good stuff.Take a tip,dye your hair dark brown or black,and use fake tan.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:46 pm:

but J doesn't it hurt?
    I'm scared to death of waxing, but that would be the first place to go if i wasn't

By Platypus on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:36 am:

waxing is way better than razor burn. And it doesn't hurt that much, really. You get all pumped up and then its over.

By J on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:03 am:

It can hurt Whisper if you don't do things just right,you don't want to put the wax on if it's too hot,for me anyway it took a while to get that down ouchy.You have to make sure you leave yourself enough to make a "handle"or what your going to grip when your ready to rip your hair out and when you do rip, do it as fast as you can,don't drag it out any longer than you have to.It used to make me sneeze every time I plucked my eyebrows,I got used to it same with waxing.Plus I'm thinking people pay big bucks at a salon to have this done and I'm doing it myself for practically nothing.

By sarah on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:13 am:

waxing hurts but not *that* bad. it just hurts for a few seconds and then it's over. just get zen about it. i know you could handle it, wisper, no problem.

By Hal on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:42 am:

"Zen and the art of Waxing."

By patrick on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

rowlfie will thank you wisper.

if you are to consider, a brazilian is just right. leaves all the pretty foliage up top and like a marble countertop where it counts.

By patrick on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

rowlfie will thank you wisper.

if you are to consider, a brazilian is just right. leaves all the pretty foliage up top and like a marble countertop where it counts.

By patrick on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 04:09 pm:

to answer the title of this thread (and shift gears)

i've intentionally brought myself to the verge of tears

By Kalliope on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

I've been looking at the slideshow yahoo pictures all day too and choking back...which I think is a good thing. Matt told me the other night that it seems so far away that it's hard for him to get emotional about it anymore.

I don't think it's far away at all..

By patrick on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:54 pm:

i feel its the least i owe, to observe.

i can't possibly imagine the monolith of sadness that weighs on the families.

By eri on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:16 pm:

I now have a new belly ring to go with my tattoo. Watching them try to pierce my belly button was kinda funny, though, concidering I didn't want it to mess up my tattoo, and apparently my belly is too small, too flat and too tight to get it pierced easily........damn that luck.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:04 am:

Your belly ring is cute.

By eri on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

Thank you honey.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

arg! gremlins!!!!

By wisper on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

sem, you see it too?
    the Matrix!
    what is up with the search results....

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:46 pm:

it keeps saying i'm posting on this thread when i'm not....

er wait.

By Hal on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:40 am:

Just got 2 more of the set of 6 tattoo's on my forearm. I previously only had 2 of them done, now I'm up to 4.

Pics when I get them taken and posted.

By Karla on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:36 pm:

By heather on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:40 pm:

oh no! *ouch*

what happened?

By Karla on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:12 pm:

I was out running Sunday morning and tripped on a tiny seam in the sidewalk. I also shredded my knees and palms. Best of all, tomorrow night I have to get up in front of a couple hundred people to accept an award on behalf of our magazine. I can't wait to see their expressions when we go to shake hands. I'm hoping I can cover my chin with makeup, but it's still a little tender to the touch.
    Saturday is the trail run I've been training for - Maybe those folks will be a little impressed and think I'm hardcore instead of assuming I'm a victim of domestic violence like most people do.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:58 pm:

yeow!

i've tripped on a seam in a sidewalk before too, a couple years ago in San Jose, while we were visiting senor's parents. i sprained my ankle, and shredded my hands and knees. no fun.

good luck on your run!

i'm so jealous. can't wait to run again.

By J on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:45 am:

I hope your chin heals quickly... it could have been worse,what if you bit your tongue off? That probably doesn't make you feel better,but that's what I was trying for anyway.Good luck on your run:)

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 05:07 am:

Karla, ouch, it gotta hurts, especially in the hot weather, I have several shredded skin result of falling down on a concrete.

By agatha on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:58 pm:

Ouch! It does seem like you should be able to cover it up to some degree, but it looks like it really hurts. Dave once elbowed me in the eye while sleeping, and I got a big black eye right in time for the Thurston county fair. I was a 4H leader for Cleo's small animal rescue group, so I had to be there almost every day. I got some crazy stares, I'm tellin ya. It was tres embarrassing.

By Karla on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 03:23 pm:

Walking around with a big bruise on my face has been an interesting study in human behavior. Usually, I'm pretty invisible in public, but I've been getting lots of second looks. Several strangers have come right out and asked me what happened. Then there are the neighbors and co-workers who avoid making any comment at all. I had a half-hour conversation with one colleague who never said a word to me about it, but later went to my boss and gave her the 3rd degree.
    My sister was on a medication that causes brusing and managed to give herself a black eye just trying to rub an eyelash out of her eye. She was waitressing at the time and said she never made more money in her life than when she had that black eye.

By sarah on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 06:06 pm:

whole new worlds of tacky await us!

i miss 2003.

kazu, did you ever get the tattoo on your back?

By heather on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 06:31 pm:

I miss 2003 like nobody's business, but I sure don't miss spunk's huckleberry arguments.

By kazu on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 09:29 am:

No, but I still want one.

By sarah on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 08:39 pm:

of what?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact