gone to the dead lake

sorabji.com: What have you done?: gone to the dead lake
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By heather on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

so i went to burningman

i am back

have you gone? why or why not and what
    did you think?

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

I got to develop like seven rolls of Burningman last year, which was a lot of fun, nobody else could figure it out.

One of my roommates went this year and he's not back yet. He was dreading the moment of realization that he's out in the desert with thousands of ravers.

I told him to pull around a screechy pagan folksinger who complains that people aren't listening to her revelations.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

I've never gone.

I've never really wanted to. I mean, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to go, but I'm afraid I'd be surrounded by like-minded individuals I would want to like, but wouldn't be able to like.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:28 pm:

It's the crowds, not the individuals.

Crowds turn me into a different person sometimes and when I get cranky like that, I want very much to have a good time but I can't.

I don't know why.

By heather on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:34 pm:

want to like but not able to? i don't understand

there was way too high of a percentage of
    assholes who expect a lot for free- as if you
    did not also pay to be there and pay for the
    things they want from you, like drinks.

there were also some neat and talented
    people, and some very sweet people.

for me the jerks kind of ruined whatever vibe
    everyone was talking about

and it is hot. heh.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

My friend Jake went. He's a jolly British-American guy with a beard and a red face and he plays the tuba. and hand drums. But mostly tuba.

By J on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

That's why I wouldn't go,the heat.

By dave. on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

i'm with kazu on the crowds thing. i feel totally sad and alone in a crowd.

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 07:14 pm:

I run through crowds blindly trying not to touch anyone, bobbing and weaving as fast as I can desperately yearning to get out.

Crowds are horrible. Particularly holiday retail crowds.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

there is a new one, again on ocean beach. for everyone who doesn't want to go out to blackrock.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

"want to like but not be able to"

because crowds make me cranky and sad, I wouldn't be able to like anyone, and it seems like it would attract the neat and talented people I might, under different circumstances, like.

Like you, Heather and sem's friend Jake. I know I like you, but in a HUGE crowd, if I hadn't met you, I wouldn't be able to distinguish you.

My crankiness might make me one of the assholes, though without the sense of entitlement. I don't think I have an attitude; I really can't tell.

I just get kind of quiet.

By heather on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

i didn't spend much time in a crowd

our camp was in a really nice place

i spent some energy trying to be more alone

i like being alone

By TBone on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 11:17 am:

I'm all weird in crowds too. I'm all weird in general, but moreso in crowds.
    I've always wanted to go to Burningman. I've just never done much about it. Haven't really had people to go with.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 11:26 am:

Crowds make me angry and frantic. I want to shove everyone out of my way and scream like a rabid tasmanian devil.

Ooh, click here to see what I mean. This is hilarious.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

Wow, I went to the Ohio State/Washington game on Saturday night. 110000 rabid OSU fans. I hadn't been to an OSU game since I was in junior high. It was quite a spectacle -- certainly felt that warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow, which I hadn't felt in a long time. Oh, and the band did four Script Ohio's, which was pretty awesome.

By spunky on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

anyone know how to convert .ram to .wav?

By Spider on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

Aw, man! You have to hear that sound! OK, I admit I'm easily amused, especially by animals, but that made me laugh until I couldn't breathe. I imagined myself making that sound....whoo.

Just download RealPlayer or whatever it's called now.

I got it from this site -- it's the sound of the devils fighting.

By spunky on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Burningman 2003

I have RealMedia, I just wanted to be able to convert that to .wav format and use it on FileTopia...
    :)

By patrick on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

could you imagine, with eri's blessing, kidnapping the spunkalator, putting some 'cid in his water and dropping him off at Burning man.

Can anyone speculate in what state we'd find him in after a week?

By semillama on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 02:56 pm:

Dougie, you were in Columbus and didn't tell me? shame. Actually, my mom was in town so I was busy anyway.

By Lapis on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

My housemate's been talking about the nerd village. Part of which was a 50 foot dome made of billboards. Sorabjifest 2004?

By spunky on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

"could you imagine, with eri's blessing, kidnapping the spunkalator, putting some 'cid in his water and dropping him off at Burning man.

Can anyone speculate in what state we'd find him in after a week?:"

Why would you drug me and force me to be something I am not?
    I would never attempt to force you to be anyone else other then yourself.

By Lapis on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 03:18 pm:

We wouldn't force you to be anything you're not.

Just to loosen up a little.

By spunky on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

i do loosen up. mainly around friends i know and trust, but I can loosen up. ask eri

By patrick on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 03:23 pm:

oh jesus spunky.

you absolutely have no imagination whatso ever man.

By TBone on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

Stop taking yourselves and each other so seriously. All of you.

By Lapis on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

Oh great and powerful Tbone, show us the way to enlightenment. I light a candle in your name, please show me the path.

Oooooooooohmmmmmmmmmm....

By TBone on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

Damnit, nobody takes me seriously.

By Lapis on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

Hee.

By Dougie on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

Sorry sem. It was kind of a whirlwind trip -- my sister was supposed to come out and see us, but she got sick at the last minute, so we went out to Columbus for a quickie visit with the family.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact