Signed up for U. of Phoenix Online

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Signed up for U. of Phoenix Online
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

OK, so it's not Harvard. Anybody done/doing this? I'll be getting my MSCIS in 1 3/4 years. Figured I might as well -- it's a good fit with my travelling schedule etc. I start October 23rd. Kind of looking forward to it. Should be a cakewalk.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

I have an employee who is getting a masters throught the U. of Leicester program which is really good, but the big problem with all online or distance learning is the lack of person-to-person interaction with profs and fellow students, which I feel is a pretty integral part of any education. Maybe it isn't for what you are going for though, I can only speak for my discipline.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

I took several courses from UoP (stopped when I lost my job.)

It was not a cakewalk. It wasn't particularlly difficult, but very time consuming. Moreso than I was expecting.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:45 am:

Yeah, you're right Sem. If I had my druthers, I'd quit it all and go back to school and get a good, well-rounded liberal arts education with no eye towards furthering my career, just towards furthering myself.

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:51 am:

ah yes. That sounds really nice. I myself would enjoy getting a linguistics degree, maybe study Old English or something.

By kazu on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:52 am:

Liberal Arts degress aren't the only ones where person-to-person contact enhances the quality of education.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:58 am:

No, I'm sure they aren't, kaz, but I was just saying I'd really rather be studying Shakespeare than managing the life-cycle of a software product.

By sarah on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 11:05 am:

if i went back to school i'd study human nutrition, or i'd go to med school.

i don't suppose they have an MD program through the university of phoenix... ;)

By kazu on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 11:13 am:

Of course, you don't need to go to school to learn anything about or just plain enjoy literature or philosophy or history.

I would like to say that person-to-person contact is integral to business school (MBA), but my experience with business students is that their person-to-person contact is not about knowledge aquisition but networking.

Of course, this is only because for two years I worked out in a gym with business students and just got tired of hearing people talk about whether or not they were going to take the job with PWC in New York or Deloitte and Touche in London.

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 12:53 pm:

i had some of the best person-to-person contact in college.

for sure.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

you guys mean 'face-to-face'.

there is plenty of 'person-to-person' contact in the UoP program. Learning teams, relying on others to do work for your grade, the whole mess.

that's another complication, dougie- one 'learning team' i was in had us spread across so many timezones that simply coordinating the work became time consuming.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

Yeah, I didn't think of that. Oh well, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:45 pm:

It is really just a matter of being extremely proactive. I recommend taking charge immediately and setting a tight schedule.

By agatha on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:30 am:

I am in a distance program, but mine is a little different in that we actually meet for class about twice a month for three days over the weekend. I have to say that so far the work load has been far beyond anything I would have imagined. I have been doing many hours of homework per night, and only just reached an almost caught up state this week.

I really like my school so far, though.

By Dougie on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:59 am:

"It wasn't particularlly difficult, but very time consuming."

Damn, you weren't kidding Nate.

By wisper on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

do tell!

By Nate on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:51 am:

why would i kid about that?

By The Watcher on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

I'll keep following this.

I've been thinking about he UofP myself.

I have no time to go to classes. Then again I have no time to take internet courses either.

By Dougie on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:31 am:

Rhetorical, Nate.

Wisper, not much to tell -- just a lot of reading and writing, both of which I'm way of out practice on.

Gotta make time for one or the other Watcher.

By The Watcher on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

My days are already to long as it is.

Even I need some sleep.

By Dougie on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

So I handed in my final paper tonight. I'm done. I never want to see another fucking Outlook Express newsgroup in my life. Also, UOP stresses learning teams WAY too much. I didn't sign up for a "team master's degree" -- I signed up for a personal one. Anyways, I'm done. Nice to have this monkey off my back. A master's degree. Whoo hoo. Oh well, it'll look good on a resume, and will get my foot in the door for an interview, should the need arise. I don't feel any more smarter though. How come?

By jack on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:38 pm:

because you were on a dumb team?

congratulations.

By Dougie on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:44 pm:

Yeah, some of them were dumb as rocks, including myself. Thanks dude.

By jack on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:49 pm:

isn't it a wonderful growth opportunity to integrate with a dumb team?

i raise an imaginary tequiza in your direction!

By Dougie on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:58 pm:

Shit, I'll never live down that Tequiza, will I? Do they still make that stuff? Anyhow, I'm raising a real Heineken in yours and everyone here's direction.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

Dougie, I'm so proud of you! I'm going to be graduating next May (hopefully), and I totally hear you on the group assignments. It only takes one lame group member to make everything be frustrating and difficult.

By jack on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

jack {heart} agatha.

what's that "(hopefully)" doing there?

no hopefully! you are graduating next may! right?

don't let the dumb team drag you down!

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:48 am:

Thanks Agatha! Just keep plugging away -- to me, it seemed like it would never end -- the last class and the final weeks just seemed like they'd linger forever, but then one day you wake up, and it's over with. Hang in there!

By Nelly on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

nelly too had some group projects from hell on her road to mastery...

By patrick on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:24 pm:

way to go dougiEfresh.

By Czarina on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:28 pm:

Yeah Dougie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work man.I'm all kinds a proud of ya!
    [turning cartwheels]
    [ooh,dizzy now]

Now,you next Agatha! Hang in there--------soon soon.

By J on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:18 pm:

Right on Dougie:)!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there Agatha,we are rooting for ya.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact