got a skateboard

sorabji.com: What have you done?: got a skateboard
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

Yes.

Im having a pre-midlife crisis.

Maybe. Thats what I jokingly call it, but its not really that.

My close friend Will, who has been here for a few months has been inspirational. He skates every so often. he and I skated religiously when we were 15, 16, 17 years old. Then girls entered the picture in a more pronounced way.

Recently we went to a ditch in the Hollywood Hills, an old drainage ditch. It scared the fuck out of me.

THWAPPPPP!!! face first, knocking my air out. Shit that felt good. I can fall and not break. Though 180 lbs falls a lot harder than 140 lbs, such was my weight the last time i was skating regularly. I'm falling with two toddlers strapped to me so to speak,

Recent surge of popularity, press (due to the recent X Games here in LA), my friends influence, paying more attention to the kids at Hollywood Highschool ripping up their curbs in the afternoons, I was set on getting a board.

I scored this weekend. Will found some wheels and a deck at a garage sale. $5. I went to a skate shop and got trucks and bearings. Another $60.

Ther board itself is a 'naked' board. Meaning its nothing but wood grain on the bottom. I slapped the only sticker I had laying around...a Fat Possum Records sticker. Its kind of an old school board. Its got the double kick, but its a bit wider than the boards today. It was the board just coming out, when I was getting out of skating, so its a perfect fit for me.

It
    feels
    good.

I felt a bit odd going to my local convenience store and taco stand on my board. They've all seen me pushing a stroller for months now. They must think I've lost my mind.
    "old man you done lost your mind! who are you fooling!"

Im getting my Ollie back. Its the only thing that has stuck and that im not afraid to do. Considering how long it took me to get it down when I was 12, no wonder it has stuck.

Grinds, slides, kickflips and plants will come soon enough.

Im still just getting my balance. Im working up to it. Today, at lunch, I plan to haul my ass down the sidewalk on sunset blvd. Push Push Push. Faster Faster. See how quickly I can make the thump thump thump of the sidewalk cracks go, like a drum beat. I wont be afraid to become pavement pizza. If anything, I just need to work these legs out. They're rusty for sure.

In a week or so, I will go back to the hollywood hills ditch. I will drop in that 7ft motherfucker and carve it like I mean it. I wont be afraid.

I've got a skateboard now and I couldnt be happier.

weeeeeeeeeeeee

By wisper on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 02:56 pm:

:D

By semillama on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

That's great. Although I dunno about a mid-life crisis sort of thing. If you were 40 and picking it up, well... Is the board the prelude to the motorcycle 15 years down the road?

Still, fantastic. Images.

By patrick on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

on the way in from skating:

my boss hollered from his office: "You're too old for that."

me: "pshaw"

him: "if you're old enough to shave, you're too old for a skateboard"

me: "some people get boring gym memberships. I got a skateboard"

him "now how can you change diapers if your arm is in a sling"

me "good point"

HA!

By semillama on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

Good point? GREAT excuse!

By Ophelia on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

hehe thats awesome! skater-daddy :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact