Road trip!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Road trip!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

I have returned from my Seattle--->Las Vegas journey. Agatha/Dave and Lapis, I didn't get your numbers to get together because I am an unorganized dumbass. However, the good(?) news is I am so taken by your area of the nation that I am actively pursuing the decision to go to grad school up there, so we may meet one day in the future. Let me hear you cheer. :)

This is what we did:

We arrived in Seattle on Saturday night. We parked near the Space Needle and walked to the Belltown area, ate dinner at some place whose name I can't remember, walked all around, went to sleep.

Sunday: Went to the museum of glass in Tacoma (my brother's an apprentice glassblower), went to Snoqualmie Falls because of the Twin Peaks connection, had dinner in Seattle's Chinatown, walked around some more, came back.

Monday: Went to Mount St. Helens -- AWEsome. Arrived in Portland at night, ate dinner with my friend Clare and her roommate (they work in Salem, live in Woodburn), went to Powell's bookstore (dude....I could so live there), walked around the city, came back. My brother bought a collection of David Sedaris CDs (14 hours of him and his sister Amy reading from his books)...that kept us entertained during the rest of the trip.

Tuesday: Walked around Portland in the morning, went to the Historical Society, went to Silver Falls in the afternoon and hiked, drove to Roseburg and stayed there in the evening. It was...interesting.

Wednesday: Went to Crater Lake in the morning -- amazing! Freezing! Drove through the Redwood forest to Arcata, CA. Stayed there for the night night, went to the beach.

Thursday: Drove 600 miles from Arcata through Reno to Tonopah, NV. What's in Tonopah? Nothing. What is in NV besides Reno and Las Vegas? NOTHING. NO-THING. Oh, I think Tonopah is known to have the only MacDonalds in the non-Reno, non-LV rest of the state. Another disappointment: there was a full moon. I had been looking forward to seeing all the billions of stars that I never see here because of the city lights. Dammit.

Friday: Went to Rhyolite (a ghost town) and Death Valley. It was about 100 degrees down there, and it was really neat to see stretches of desert in which there was no life, not even the hardscrabble sage or cactus. Got to Las Vegas around 3, and then the family reunion commenced.

My family rocks, flat-out. It is full of talented, kind, gorgeous people. When my aunt emails me the digital photos she took, I'll try to post them to a photo album like Patrick's baby pictures.

Listen to this about my great-uncle John (he was the first permanent internist in Las Vegas and saw a lot of celebrities as patients)....one day he was visiting Paul Anka and saw the sheet music to a new song Paul was writing, and he recommended that Paul send it to Frank Sinatra. Paul agreed. The song was "My Way." Is that not cool or what?

Remember the "hunting for Bambi" video business a few months ago? My uncle Jim is the one who shut them down. I thought that was cool, too.

My cousin Michaela got married in July (she's only 21!), and I was happy her husband was at the reunion and got to see how great our family is. I was also happy my grandfather got up and told stories...he's got a phenomenal memory and he's really funny. It's amazing...he can remember what people wore on a particular day in 1929 and things like that. He told the story of how his brother Joe was kidnapped by the Black Hand in 1912, and how my great-grandmother haggled his ransom down to $600. Their cousin Frank had also been kidnapped around that time (and was tortured, and never recovered mentally), and when he was returned to the family, my great-grandfather the baker cleared out the bread in his store window and put Frank in there on a chair so that all the neighbors could see that he was home and wave at him. Hee!

The reunion was held in a ballroom at the Hilton, and next door was a wedding or something, and their music was loud and obnoxiously interfering with our communion. A cousin at the microphone made a comment about it, and an old man's voice called out, "Hey, we're a room full of Sicilians. I'm sure we can make them an offer they can't refuse." Awwwwww, the love.

I am so tired now. Soooo tiiiiirreed.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

"Stayed there for the night night"

This was unintentional.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

i didn't even notice the night night.

that sounds like an awesome trip, though. big families are so much fun! (so much crazy too, and sometimes annoying, but usually fun as well.) yours sounds great.

By c on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:31 am:

Spider, where are you thinking about going to grad school, and in what?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:09 am:

I would like to study Irish history, particularly the history of the city of Derry.

I was also thinking of getting a degree in pastoral counseling, but my family has half-persuaded me to do that later in life when I have more experience. I know Seattle University has a program in pastoral counseling, and Gonzaga must have something, too.

Actually, Notre Dame has a really attractive Irish Studies institute that's part of their History department. (Seamus Deane is there, for one thing.) I requested an application for that program yesterday. One hitch is that to get an MA in European History, you need to be proficient in two languages, one of which must be French or German. I've asked my friend who attends the school to investigate whether that's true for the Irish Studies program, as I fail to see the connection between those languages and the course of study. (They do offer an exchange program with the University of Galway to learn Irish.)

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:35 am:

If you have to choose one, French is much easier to learn. Even though English is essentially a Germanic language, French is still easier to learn.

Irish and Gaelic are motherfuckers of a language to learn. They make German look like Spanish.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:20 am:

Yeah. Several years ago I took an adult education class in Scot Gaelic, and I was left wondering how *anybody* manages to be literate in that language. At least Welsh is phonetic. (Was it you who told me that Welsh is related to Basque?)

All I remember is how to say "How are you?" "I'm fine, how are you?" but damned if I know how to spell it.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:28 am:

Ciamar a tha sibh?
    Tha gu math, tapadh leibh. Ciamar a tha sibh fein?

Sem, you might like this page -- it's got audio samples of the six Celtic languages.

By heather on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:50 am:

it seems like german would be better than french for reading original sources, which is a big point of knowing languages for grad school.

ah. sounds like fun.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

The Welsh people are related to the Basques, but the languages are not related at all. Welsh and all Celtic languages belong to the Indo-European language group (listen to the Breton rattle off the numbers one - ten and you will recognize most), while Basque is not related to any other language. Many linguists think that Basque is descended from an original Neolithic language that survived the spread of Indo-European languages and of course, Indo-Europeans.

Here's a breif grammar of Basque, or Euskara as they call it

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

That's so cool...Neolithic. I'd like to find a sample of it spoken.

How strong is the relation between the Welsh and the Basques? The connection would have had to have split a while ago for their languages to be unrelated, is this right?

(I wonder if "would have had to have" would give someone learning English a headache?)

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

not necessarily. Look at all the Native Americans who speak English. Same deal. I'll find the link I saw this all on...

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

By sarah on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 06:14 pm:

the german connection makes sense. i studied german for six years. the sentence structure of german is a lot like english, so after you learn the vocabulary and a few of the tricky rules, it's not that bad.

spider, do you know how they test proficiencies in order to determine whether you're elligible to apply for the MA program?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 06:39 pm:

It's much easier to PRONOUNCE french though. Although if you want to learn a Goidelic language, getting used to all those hard "ch" sounds in German would probably be an asset, so now I think you should learn German.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

umlaut!

nuff said.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:44 pm:

Bah, I say, bah!

You'd better visit us the next time, OR ELSE.

By Lapis on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:38 am:

It's easier to pronouunce, maybe, once you know the basics.

If you go to Gonzaga, I could visit you and my little sister at the same time. You wouldn't want to know my little sister though. She's scary.

Agatha. Will you be in Portland this weekend?

By agatha on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:22 am:

Indeed, I will!

By TBone on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:29 am:

My little brother seemed to do alright with German, and he can barely pronounce English correctly.

By Spider on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:40 am:

I think German sounds cool and I like how it strings nouns and adjectives together to form one big word. And (big plus) it's spelled phonetically. If I have to deal with the silent letters and lenticular Hs and weird spelling changes depending on preceding words in Irish, I'll want to avoid the annoyances of French.

Plus, my mom, uncle, and grandfather know German, so I'll have some help.

By Spider on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:46 am:

Forgot to say: I can deal with complicated grammar. It's spelling and pronunciation that give me problems.

(Ya know why? It's because I'm too shy to speak. At our family reunion were two cousins from Sicily, and my brother did most of the talking to them....I would only pipe up [quietly] to correct his grammar.)

By Lapis on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 03:43 pm:

I don't work 'til six on Saturday, so look me up, we can go SCRAPping!

By wisper on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:45 pm:

over the phone at work i had to try to explain what "clear" is to some woman who could barely speak english but that never stops them from arguing on the phone with me does it....?!?!

"clear? what is the colour clear?"
    "It's, uhm, no colour, there is no colour, it's...CLEAR."
    "No colour?"
    "Yeah, no colour, but also not white either. Like glass or water or a Ziplock bag."

By dave. on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:08 pm:

clear is my favorite color. at least that's what i put on the questionnaires. sometimes, i put twinkly or sparkly.

By agatha on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:37 pm:

I have class til 6. I am pretty much devoid of personal time on these weekends, I am finding. Here's how it goes: friday 6-9pm, saturday 8:30 til 6, sunday 8:30 til noon, and then I head home with the woman I'm carpooling with.

Feh. I want to go to the Scrap Store. What are their hours, do you know?

By Lapis on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:16 am:

They are open from noon to six, wednesday through sunday.

Work is going to be interesting these next few weeks. Starting in November, I'm a two store girl, half my time at my home store on interstate, the other half at the yuppie "northwest best" downtown.

I don't want to leave interstate, but the general population of my new store is cuter.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact