Started using my violin again

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Started using my violin again
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

It's been rather interesting. I always felt inadequate when I practiced and took a break for a few months. But with Spunky gone I am bored out of my mind and lonely as hell and looking for escape at night, from being alone.

So I got it back out, my old book, and immediately attacked the stuff I struggled with. After a short warm up I figured something out. My problem isn't that I suck as much as it is that I lack confidence in my bowing. So I started working on that and felt much better. I am really starting to enjoy it again.

I picked up some new sheet music and instructional booklets today (it never hurts to go back to the beginning and start fresh with a new perspective). It was total torture. I found so much that I looked at and knew I could do it. I just knew I could pull it off with a little work. There was so much I wanted to get. It's a good thing I didn't bring much money.

So now, I am getting back to work on my violin, and hopefully I will have the self confidence, and be relaxed enough to get through these barriers that have been blocking my progress.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

What type of music do you play?

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

I like to play all kinds of things. Whatever seems like fun. I listen to all kinds of music and kinda like to play that way too, all kinds of things. I don't want to limit myself to one type of music.

I have only been playing again for about 2 1/2 years, so I am still working on basics and simple stuff.

Bach's Minuet 1, 2 and 3. Suzuki's Adantino, Allegretto, Allegro and Perpetual Motion. Some folk songs.

I am getting ready to start on Brahms "Waltz", Handel's "Bourree", Beethoven's Minuet in G.

I found a book of gypsy music that just looked like so much fun, but didn't get it.

I don't have a metronome right now (Micki destroyed it and lost the pieces) so there was a lot I didn't get. Simply because I would need the metronome to help me count out the time. Some more difficult works by Handel, and others that have some cd's to help me. Besides, those books cost MONEY and my money tree died.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

yes, i understand.

You can get fairly cheap electric metronomes used.

And don't pass on the gypsy music next time - that's the craziest shit to play ( i sadly don't speak from personal experience).

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

If I have the chance to get the gypsy music again, I will. I think that book was around $10-12 so it wasn't all that expensive.

Where would I find used metronomes? I got my last one at a garage sale, but that was just pure luck.

By Lapis on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 03:03 pm:

I don't know where you could find a used metronome, but you could probably check out sheet music (some with cds) from the library.

Good luck! It's good to know that another Sorabjite plays non-piano classical music.

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

Thank you.

I never knew you could check out sheet music from the library.......heh....cool.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

check pawn shops for used metronomes or ask at the music store.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

Eri, ebay has 25 metronomes under $5 listed. Go get one.

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

Damn, I even saw my old one up there for under $5. Fucking A. Wish I knew how to buy ebay. (yes I am showing my ignorance again).

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

This one looks good. Might not be $5, but it looks hard to break. :)

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

There's also this page.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

you have to sign up with ebay before you can buy or bid.
    it's not too hard.
    Just remember that you have to add about $6 for shipping to whatever you pay.

or one of the already eBaying sorabjis (like....me!) could get one for you.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

shit, that online one rocks!

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

Yeah, that online one rocks.....and it's free!!!! I have already added it to my favorites folder. I think that should last me a while concidering that I only practice when everyone else is asleep or gone from the house.

Thanks for the offer wisper.

By V.v. on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 11:35 pm:

Eri,tell me,can you really play violin?its got to be the most tricky instrument in the whole world,long time ago,i got to play a strad,(really) and i was trash.

By V.v. on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:05 am:

Eri,you ever play Irish music?in London there is a massive following of this stuff.I know a guy who plays in subways,and he makes about 300 dollers a day,in his hat,tax free.

By eri on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 01:20 am:

Haven't found any Celtic violin music yet...but I would love to. I have a lot of Irish and Scottish in me and would love to play the old celtic music on my violin, but just haven't found it.

Violin is not easy to play. I keep thinking I would have been better off if I had picked a different instrument, but this one is my toy, and my joy (when I get a song right). It's also my challenge.

My next step is to go back and find that gypsy music again. And master what I have been working on.

By beta on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 03:09 am:

eri, you might want to check out a nz band called the dirty three-not exactly gypsy-but still very good- my recomendation would be horse latitudes-but i hear the new one is good as well

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 04:09 am:

The way I see it is that no instrument is truly easy to play, but some are harder to pick up and instantly sound proficient. Violin is one of those. Anyone can pick up a guitar and strike a pose.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 09:45 am:

The Dirty Three = TRANSCENDENT.

By V.v. on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 10:36 am:

Is it true sax players die young due to lung damage?

By sarah on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

eri, it may not be a good time and if that's the case i totally understand, but i really feel like i need to come down and see you before you go.

and keep playing the violin. that's awesome.

oh, and coincidentally, two of my very dear friends from hawaii who live in san antonio are both musicians, and kim plays a mean fiddle. wish the two of you could have practiced together. didn't know you played though...

By eri on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

Sarah, now is the perfect time for you to come on down to visit....I just don't know if we would be able to actually go out much. I have been having a HELL of a time trying to get a goddamned babysitter. Can't find em anywhere right now. So we might just have to watch movies and have drinks here or something.....impromtu party here or something. Let me know when you want to come down.

I would tell you to give me a call, but in spite of the fact that I paid the fucking phone bill, they turned off my phone today....and I can't call them to chew them out cuz I don't have a working phone damnit!!!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact