Worked hard on my self image

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Worked hard on my self image
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Saturday, December 6, 2003 - 11:39 pm:

I know that we all do this, pick ourselves apart. Too fat, too thin, too much cottage cheese on the thighs.

I spent most of my life being told how ugly I was. That no one would ever want me because I am so ugly (and that held true for a long time for me). That my butt was too big, and my boobs were too small, and I was so skinny I looked anorexic.

Things did get better as I hit adulthood, but I was so high maintenance. I would spend 2 hours grooming and primping just to go with my father to the feed store. It was ridiculous. But for the first time I had boyfriends and people told me I was beautiful, and I was friends with the cheerleaders, whatever.

Then life happened.

So about 6 months ago I was realizing that I am approaching 30, and have battle scars from having kids and all the hell I put my body thru with 7 pregnancies and only 2 babies. My butt sagged, my boobs shrank and still managed to sag. I have these lines around my eyes and on my forehead that will never go away and show my age. My grey hair got a lot worse.

I made the mistake of allowing myself to think I was ugly and unattractive again. I looked at myself in the mirror and wanted to cry.

So I decided to work on that. Work on my body issues and realize that I am a beautiful person irregardless of pounds, inches, battle scars, or signs of age.

Granted I still color my hair to cover the grey, but only to match my natural color. And not that often either.

More importantly I have been working on moving on from the body issues that have held me captive for the past many years.

You all have heard me bitch about my small breast size tons of times, and have also seen pictures of me in a bikini telling me basically that my insecurities are silly.

Up until last month I had NEVER EVER been seen even in my own home without a bra on, with lots and lots of padding. Afraid that others would realize how small I am and I felt embarrassed constantly.

So I have been determined to realize my own power to be beautiful and sexy with my breasts being as small as they are, cuz it is not necessarily a flaw, just a part of me. This has been a very big struggle for me.

About a month ago I went to a small drumming circle with some close friends. It was while Spunky was in Alabama preparing to move. It was at the house, or rather the fields and fire pits of someone I had met several times before. She's a wonderful woman who (like me) had tons of bullshit gossip going around, so I felt a bit of a kindred spirit with her.

So I get there and we are waiting for the others to arrive and they get out the drums and I get out my violin and we get out the drinks and are all playing, just messing around. One of the guys starts talking about his different sarongs asking if anyone wanted to borrow one to get more comfortable. I decline for now but say maybe one day I will because I have never worn one and don't own one, but wouldn't mind being that comfortable with myself.

So this woman who owns the home comes out of her room and declares that she is playing dress up with me, cuz she thinks I would look good in pink. I didn't do my hair, it was in a ponytail. No make-up. I was wearing a tank top and cut off sweat pants as shorts. Then she drags me back to her bedroom and pulls out the pink.....HOT PINK....not something I would normally concider at all. And she hands me a sarong and a tube top......now up until this point I had NEVER EVER worn anything without a bra, and well you can't exactlly wear a bra with a tube top. I was nervous as hell, but I put it on anyways. I didn't want to hurt her feelings and my fears were basically insane anyways.

I was so amazingly comfortable that whole night. Running around the fire in this outfit, the reactions I got, I felt great and so at ease, as if I never had anything to worry about before. And I had a total blast that night. Completely lost track of time, got home late. Had tons of fun.

It got me to thinking.....that maybe when I was insecure about my body, and others told me I was being silly, that there was nothing wrong with me, well, maybe they were right.

So this has been a big important to me, understanding what it is about me that draws people to me, to see what they see. My husband and my friends have been a great help. I have a better picture of myself now that I am so much happier with.

I bought a couple of tube tops recently. I got them on clearance, buy one get one 50% off and they were only 99 cents to begin with. But they (like most things) are a little big in the rib cage area (it's only 28") so I have to take them in.

Today we were shopping at this high end mall in the area, and I ran across this store that had this awesome display.

I got two shirts, and neither of which can I wear a bra with. They are both lace and see thru (except in the breast area). One is red lace and has a red lining with support for the bra area, and the other is a black lace bustier with flesh colored fabric in the front, but see thru in the back.

The store was packed so I didn't get a chance to try them on. Hayley had to go to the bathroom and the lines were very long. So I just bought the two shirts, and some pasties to wear with a backless dress I bought in pink (and relatively see thru) recently. I also bought Hayley some new earrings. I got out of there for $35 and was happy, except worried that the shirts wouldn't fit or would look bad or something. And the woman who was helping me in the store was asking questions (I was again embarrassed) because I didn't get to try the shirts on. Told me that the shirts run small, so they should fit me, but if not to keep the tags and bring them back.

So as soon as we got home I tried on the shirts. They both fit and fit well. I felt sexy.

I think I am going to wear one of these shirts the next time I go to PNO, and tease the fuck out of whoever I can :p

I feel like I am making more progress in the past couple of months than I have been able to in the last 10 years.

But I wonder if I am the only one who has these issues, or has. What have others done to overcome these worries about themselves?

By heather on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 01:21 am:

nice

:)

and i think lines are sexy- especially around the eyes

By kazu on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 11:42 am:

Good for you eri. I had a bad body image relapse this year and it's just starting to abate. The semester hit me hard and right away; I didn't have much down time in the beginning and pretty soon I felt out of control and things just spiraled downward from there. I also have a personality complex, where I just feel boring.

I went back into therapy, which has helped a lot. Sem's been wonderful. My closest friend here in Atlanta praises him endless for what he does for me.

Generally when I eat well, exercise regularly, write in my journal,and do things that aren't school related, my body image and personality complex tend to improve.

By eri on Sunday, December 7, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

I looked in the mirror today and realized that the only thing that I really don't like about my body right now, I have the power to change. I am actually excited, cuz this is the first time where I have been able to think that way about myself.

I even did some yoga and standing pilates today, though I didn't get through the whole work out, I was pleased with what I did accomplish, knowing if I keep it up I will be able to do more, and fix my one issue. It's all up to me now. I just have to take care of myself, and for the first time in a long time I am trying to do just that, and have the motivation to do so, cuz I feel so good afterward.

I have obviously been writing more lately, as the above post is almost a frickin novel. Drinking less. Eating more regularly.

I dunno. Today I feel really good. Good about me, and I can't remember the last time I did that.

By sarah on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 12:53 pm:

you go, eri!

isn't weird how it seems that those who are the prettiest and/or seem to have the most going for them suffer more than your average person from body issues or esteem issues?

one of my yoga teachers is the same way. she is just stunningly gorgeous, fit, smart, and sweet, but she admits to struggling with self esteem all the time. it's wild.

By kazu on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

Sometimes I feel like part of the problem is not just that women think they are ugly, but for some reason, they don't think it's okay for them to feel pretty without external reinforcement, or they don't know how. Of course, lots and lots of women get that kind of reinforcement and still feel bad. This doesn't have to be a bad thing as some kind of social interaction is required for us to know ourselves. I guess my point is that it's not just what you think, it's how you think.

This came to me after one of my male roommates got pissed off at a woman he slept with (for a variety of reasons) but one of them was that she said she was good-looking and she wasn't. But his tone was as if she didn't have any business thinking so.

She must have been attractive enough for him to sleep with and I think he was just looking for reasons to dislike her and he was also kind of messed up. But I can't help but wonder if there is some kind of undercurrent in our thinking that makes it, not just about feeling attractive, but that we don't know how to do so, without some kind of *proof*

It also occured to me a few years earlier when I met a guy over the internet and talked to him on the phone and he kept asking me if I was good-looking (because he was "a really good-looking guy) and I kept saying that I had good features like pretty eyes and a nice smile. Apparently that wasn't enough and he asked, "has anyone ever told you that?"

The only reason I went out with him was because I was interested in how "good looking" he really was. Not too many straight guys I know describe themselves that way and I was curious. He said he was blond and kind of nordic looking. In reality, he was pudgy and had no cheekbones and spent a good part of our short coffee date looking at the scrawny hippy-chic brunette behind me.

Then there was another guy who was surprised when I referred to myself as cute. I don't know if he was surprised at my confidence or because he disagreed.

These are extreme examples, but I think they reflect the way we've kind of internalized some aspects of the the whole "men look and women look at being looked at" phenomenon, even if it's not accurate or fair.

By kazu on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

re: my roommate

He was pissed off at her for a variety of reasons.

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

can you share your secrets with my wife eri.

By heather on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

kazu your story makes me sad

i could/will have smaller thighs...but i'm cute

and screw all-y'all that have a problem with
    that

By Spider on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

Here's a radical thought: I think it's okay not to be pretty. I'm not pretty. I'm not ugly, and I have been called luminous (obligatory link), which really made my day, but I'm not pretty and I'm okay with that.

Why? Because I can't do anything about my face except take care of my skin. It's not my fault my cheeks are wide and my mouth is small. It's not a testiment to my character that my nose is long. Genes gave me my face, and there's nothing more to it than that.

And by the same token, there's no good reason for people to be unduly praised for their beauty, because they didn't do anything to earn that beauty. They got their faces from their genes.

So go ahead and call me plain. I'll agree with you.

It hurts a lot more when someone insults my personality or thinks I'm stupid.

By Spider on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

Good heavens, I misspelled testament.

By semillama on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

The way you describe yourself puts me in mind of an anime character. not any specific one, just that the description would be exactly that of a generic anime character if you also said you have eyes the size of saucers.

(ps. Spider is cute and don't let her tell you any different)

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

right sem. youre the only brother amongst us that can testify.

because eva is so damned beautiful and distractingly cute, i made out like a bandit at trader joes. the woman ringing me up was so in to her, she forgot ring up the other 5 bottles of wine i had.

By Spider on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

Aw, thanks for the compliment, but it's okay. Really. :) I sing it loud, I'm average-looking and proud.

By eri on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

Kazu for me it has been very different. I mean, people have been very attracted to me, and especially since we have moved to Texas, though Spunky said it was all the time before too and I just didn't notice. I couldn't understand why people were so attracted to me.

It got to the point where friends would treat me like personal possessions and get all jealous and shit, and it got really fucking weird.

So I acknowledged that people were for some strange reason attracted to me, but never understood it. I would get told things like "people are attracted to your spirit" "it's your soul that makes you beautiful" things like that, which didn't help me in the least.

Then I realized later on that I was putting it all on my physical appearance, not thinking that people could be attracted to me for reasons other than my breast size. It took me years to get this huge light bulb to go off, but finally I started to understand more.

There are things I do that I don't think about, they are just natural to me. I never thought of myself as special, just plain old me, and those things were things that everyone did, right? Well, OK, maybe in a perfect world, but we don't actually live in one I guess.

OK, that probably didn't makes sense. But my point, the thing that gave me my latest boost, was that I realized one huge thing I have been missing.

Your sense of humor, and the light in your eyes when you smile, your sense of play, fun, adventure, your intelligence, they all effect your physical features as well, and can make anyone beautiful. So this is what has attracted people to me, my sense of humor, mischief, ability to carry on intelligent conversations. The fact that I happen to have a 22" waist, only makes it even better.

By heather on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

cuteness is boring

at least in my case

anyway
    so we moved

so the boss didn't want his disgusting gunky
    old phone [you cannot see the numbers on
    the keys]

so they switched mine with his

/me pissed

i ask why [everyone else has the phone they
    had before]

"oh- yeah, yours was the only one that would
    work on b's extension"

i see this as a blatant and ridiculous lie and i
    am totally worked up about it

By TBone on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

I wonder if constantly being told that you beautiful might not (for some people) be as damaging to self-esteem as being told you aren't beautiful.
    I think some pretty women may have self-esteem issues because they attach all their self-worth to that beauty. It becomes a burdon that must be kept up. Eri mentioned the realization that people can like her for reasons other than her body.
    I had a female friend for a while when I was young who went to a different school. She kept asking me if I was popular. If other people liked me, then I guess it was ok for her to like me. Eventually she discovered the horrible truth: I was a geek.
    And what Spider said. It's ok not to fit the commonly-held ideals of beauty.
    Speaking of which, I'm _way_ overdue for a haircut.
    And if the jerk didn't like his old phone, they should have bought a new one or said, "It works fine. Get over it."
    /me needs a nap.

By heather on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

the phone guy was just here

he confirmed that it was a lie

grr

By TBone on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

Break the phone and demand a new one.
    Or just tell them that if it's not good enough for him, it's not good enough for you, either.
    If he programs a lot of numbers into his phone, reprogram them to random people superior to him.
    Or glue a couple of the buttons up.

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 05:45 pm:

or just throw it out the window and blame it on someone else.

By heather on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

there is no one superior

he is the owner

but he's not the one who lied

this is all so childish

i hope i am learning my lessons on the
    chance i ever need to use them

By patrick on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

its not worthy of another thread...but read this about Ozzy
    http://www.latimes.com/la-ca-ozzy7dec07,1,2548523.story

Sundays LA times.

it explains why the Osbornes were such a fucking hit over the last two years. Ozzy was on a cocktail of 3-4 pills a day. everything from amphetimines, pain killers anti-psychotics, anti-convulsants and muscle relaxers.

How is he still alive?

By wisper on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

magic.
    the magic of ROCK.

speaking of body image, i didn't realize until this pic that this dress makes me look real chubby

Also, i'm wearing the same thing in both pics, for some reason.

Also, i met spongebob! suckers!!!

By wisper on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:20 pm:

but what i was really going to say...

"Eri mentioned the realization that people can like her for reasons other than her body."

and it goes the other way too.
    Halfway through my best friend's first year at college she told me that most of the people she used to hang around with in her dorm just gradually stopped talking to her, and now ignored her completely.
    "Why did they do that?" i asked.
    "Oh, i don't know, probably the usual- because i'm fat. That's what i get for being fat."

She *is* large, but carries it well, and i met these girls when they were still talking to her. They didn't care about her looks.
    In actual fact, i'm sure the real reason they avoided her was because she can be the most disagreable, anal, confrontation-addicted bitch on earth. (she's on pills for it now, thank god).

But she never imagined her weight had nothing to do with it.

By dave. on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

be not fuzzy.

By TBone on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:35 pm:

Wow!
    The mozaic makes me imagine that picture to be part of a news story reporting on Spongebob's illicit affair with a young girl---her face obscured to protect the innocent.
    Or maybe it's a photo included with a ransom note. $1,000,000,000 by Friday or the Sponge gets it!

By TBone on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 08:43 pm:

Yeah, lots of people seem to think that nobody can _really_ like them unless they're superthin.
    I've also met people who _won't_ have anything to do with someone they consider to be overweight.
    I attack the latter people with screwdrivers.

By c on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 11:19 pm:

heather. I would be pissed. are you going to confront the person who lied to you? I know you have to pick your battles and all, but I don't think I could stomach that shit.

couldn't the liar have switched her/his own phone with the grody one?

what shit.

By dave. on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

i brought my own phone to work. it's cordless.

i like the idea of ruining the phone out of spite. stick it in the microwave for 2 or 3 seconds.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

wisper are you groping spongebob?

By eri on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

I know this person who won't be friends with someone if they don't look a certain way, not just their weight either, but their clothes hair, all of it. I would feel really self conscious around her, except when we went out cuz I always do my hair, clothes etc. If she comes over really early in the morning and wakes me up, she makes fun of my hair, and I remember her saying once that she wasn't going out with me if my hair looked like that and told me how to style my hair before we went out....ugh.

Then I ran into her and her girlfriend at PNO and she said that she knew that pagans were more relaxed about their apprearance, wanting to be more natural, but did they have to be so "fat and ugly"? Like why didn't they take any pride in their appearance? I left.

I know that I am small, very small, but small doesn't necessarily mean beautiful. And most of these people were big compared to me, but so is 97% of the earths population. They were clean, wore clean clothes, and many of them were dressed really nicely with their hair and make-up done. I was so pissed off then.

Most of my family is NOT small by any stretch of the imagination. I don't judge beauty on the size of clothes you wear, or how expertly you apply your make-up. Cosmetics are man made and don't define beauty, though they can be used to enhance it, they are not needed in many cases. And your size is just how your body was made. You don't have to be waif thin to be sexy, and usually if you are waif thin, you look sick instead of sexy.

Anyways, seeing how upset I got at other people being so shallow, reminded me that I don't judge people based on those things, but I do judge myself that way and it is stupid of me. I think that was the start of my change. The beginning of it all.

By wisper on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

you're damn right i am!

Had there not been many antsy children around, i was also hoping to get a pic of me with Dora the Explorer or Jimmy Neutron in a headlock.

fuckin' Dora.....

By eri on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 08:42 pm:

Dora is an annoying pain in the ass. God that show gets under my skin, with how much it drives me fucking crazy...as if I needed help.

By c on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

your height is generally how your body was made, and your weight is generally what you put in your mouth.

By Spider on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Last month I started lifting weights. Last week I deadlifted 75 pounds and benched 55 pounds. There was a chart on the wall listing the personal records of all the students in the class (this is a university gym), and all the girls could bench over 100 pounds. The top guy could do 300.

All I could think of was, one day, I will bench 100. And that day will be within the next couple of months.

And: if I could bench 300, goddamn, I'd never stop benching. I'd pick strangers up off the sidewalk and lift them in the air just to prove I could. I'd be such an asshole, so proud of myself.

Yesterday, I did 10 real boy pushups. Last month I couldn't do one. I have hard swells of muscle in my arms where there were no muscles before.

This feels awesome.

By Antigone on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

I've benched 315 before, and currently have a 1 rep max of 275.

Yeah, feels pretty cool. :)

Keep it up. Having strength helps you metabolically in many ways
    and helps you have confidence. It also makes you look great.

By la on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

Back in my dance days, I'd base 100-pound girls
    three times a week. It's been a long time, now.

Pushups are supposed to be one of the best things
    you can do for your whole body. Arms, yes, but
    core too: it takes a lot of strength to keep from
    bending in the middle.

Two years ago, I lost 30 pounds, half of which
    without thinking of it. I gained it back after
    the move and with the depression. It's been a few
    months since I last weighed myself.

Two weeks ago, I started riding again. I'm doing
    20-30 miles on Saturdays, one shorter ride last
    Sunday, and yesterday some of my friends (and I'm
    starting to have friends again!) convinced me to
    hike Mission Peak with them. I wasn't the slowest
    going up, but during the last rocky climb I stayed
    right behind our slowpoke, encouraging her and
    keeping my pace down to avoid spraining an ankle.
    It felt good (and there were cows and birds of
    prey and turkeys and paragliders). One of the
    guys hikes it every week and did it twice
    yesterday.

This Friday, I'm riding a cargo bike along with
    the San Jose Bike Party to help fix flats and
    collect trash. And I already want to hike Mission
    Peak again, even with my sore legs (which are
    starting to get hard again with about 100 miles of
    riding).

By Pepper on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Spider, Antigone, a friend of mine did overdo the bench press resulting a torn muscle. I won't do that.

By Antigone on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Nah, I make sure and not overdo it. I never bench with a spotter so
    I'm forced to lift only what I can handle.

By droopy on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:45 am:

i figure if i can lift my 140 pounds out of bed, i don't need to
    gild the lily.

am looking forward to the "buff librarian bench-presses
    unsuspecting pennsylvanians" videos on youtube.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:32 am:

God, I miss hiking. You're so lucky to be living where you are, la.

In my reading about proper bench press form, I've learned that I haven't been doing them correctly. You're supposed to tuck your shoulderblades, lock your elbows, contract your abs on the extension, etc. -- I don't think I've been doing that. It's Spring Break this week so the gym is closed, but next week I'm going to work on this -- maybe that's why my lifts are so weak.

Droop, you must have killer arms from years of wheeling yourself around.

By droopy on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

few people mistake me for a paralympian, but they
    get the job done. though now they're middle-aged
    arms; the recent three weeks of arm pain makes me
    wonder if their best days will soon be behind
    them. i still get more exercise now than i ever
    did in my 20s, but one day i might just have to
    buy myself a mule. (they will have dismantled
    medicare by then.)

have you read that "boffins" in the u.k. have
    found that saturated fat (burgers, boudin, butter)
    isn't as unhealthy for you as the nutri-nazis have
    been asserting for years? beef up on beef.

(for now.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact