lately?

sorabji.com: What have you done?: lately?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazu on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:25 pm:

This week I finally "broke up" with someone who considered me a good friend, but who really didn't know me at all and instead of trying to figure it out, continued to project these ideas on to me while otherwise depicting himself as a bully and a hypocrite. It was a sad conversation and I almost regretted it until I remembered how stressful it was to hang out with him and how he would continuously ignore things I said. In the end, we are just incompatible, even if he didn't want to believe it.

So, I rarely ever see him because our schedules are so very different and then yesterday I saw him on campus and we exchanged civil nods and last night he was at the bar my friend Yael and I went to. It had all the awkwardness of a dating type breakup but without the intensity of emotion. At least on my part.

Anyway, I got another haircut. I think I am going to stop asking for a specific haircut and just say, please don't make me look like Prince Valiant.

I found out a biographical essay I wrote is going to be published. I've decided that this summer, in addition to taking French and developing my exam reading list, I am going to read a whole lotta Faulkner because, well, it's about time I did so. I was moved by a quote I found which resonated with some intense discussions I'd been having and also because I am taking a course in Southern lit next fall. I'm also going to write more creative stuff, just for myself. Shannon read a few character sketches I did last semester and they made her laugh.

I should be cleaning, writing, doing anything to get ready for Sem to arrive.

By kazu on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:19 pm:

oh, but no French, no exam stuff, and no Faulkner before Nate's book.

By Spider on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

Faulkner RULEZ.

I'm sorry about your friend-breakup, Kazu. Those are always so hard.

By kazu on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:06 pm:

Thanks. It was harder being friends with him.

Re: Faulkner, What would you recommend? I am definitely reading Light in August this summer because that is where the aforementioned quote is from.

By Spider on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

Make sure you read "Light in August." That's my favorite.

I'm reading a hell of a lot of books right now.

I'm stuck on page 17 of Graham Greene's "Brighton Rock." I am dreading reading it further because I know the first narrator is going to die soon, as he knows he's going to die -- there is so much tension and anxiety building...it's painful.

The thing I've found about Graham Greene is that you don't enjoy the experience of reading his books, you don't like his characters, and there certainly aren't happy endings.....and yet you learn so much about life and humanity and the world and God and yourself through his books. It's almost as if you go through one of those difficult yet character-building experiences life offers just by reading a novel.

(On a brighter note, you know that part in Morrissey's "Now My Heart is Full," where he sings, "Dallow, Spicer, Pinky, Cubitt / rush to danger, wind up nowhere"? Those are four characters from this book.)

By kazu on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:20 pm:

I love making those literary connections. And I love that you said Light in August is your favorite because that was going to be my first anyway.

By Spider on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:21 pm:

Oh, I didn't even see your response! Good choice. :)

I've read (let's see):

Light in August
    The Sound and the Fury
    Absalom, Absalom
    As I Lay Dying
    Spotted Horses / Old Man / The Bear

...and I think that's it. Light in August is my favorite, because (IMO) you see Faulkner demonstrating the full extent of his talent here. The characters are very interesting, the story is good, the way in which he structures the book perfectly fits the story, and his prose is fantastic. And you don't have any confusing bits like the first chapter of the Sound and the Fury. (Though that's really good, too. I would say save the first chapter for last when you read it.)

What was the quote you liked so much?

By Spider on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:24 pm:

Kazu, read my first post here. I've quoted my favorite (non-spoiler) passages from Light in August there.

By kazu on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

Beautiful passage, Spider.

The quote I saw was, "Memory believes before knowing remembers."

And it totally struck me, like I said, because it resonated with a conversation I'd just had.

And even though I think quotes, I hate not knowing where they came from and am driven by finding the context, so I looked on-line and found this, which made me realize, I Must Read Faulkner. I also took that as sign to take the Southern literature class, which I was rather ambivalent about at first. Not because it's Southern literature (which I like very much) but because of the scheduling.

The rest of the passage:

"Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders. Knows remembers believes a corridor in a big long garbled cold echoing building of dark red brick sootbleakened by more chimneys than its own, set in a grassless cinderstrewnpacked compound surrounded by smoking factory purlieus and enclosed by a ten foot steel-and-wire fence like a penitentary or a zoo, where in random erratic surges, with sparrowlike childtrebling, orphans in identical and uniform blue denium in and out of remembering but in knowing constant as the bleak walls, the bleak windows where in rain soot from the yearly adjacenting chimneys streaked like black tears."

By patrick on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:04 pm:

the overall power and beauty of Faulkner was laid upon me in 10th grade by an very prudish, anal retentive sothern gay man in his mid 50s. Think an older Smithers with a perfectly trimmed gray mustach, always wearing neatly-ironed slacks, penny loafers and light pastel colored button up shirts. he was a bitch but he spent a lot of time on Faulkner, T.Williams and N. Hawthorne. Big surprise.

Shamefully I havent read Faulkner since then, but i do remember really enjoying it.

By Nate on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:50 pm:

i started light in august and loved it and put it down midway through for some reason.

so, kazu, when you start it let me know and i'll start it over again.

in other news, BART train filled like canned fish and stopped in a hot black tunnel for a long long time.

and this guy next to me who breaths in funny strings of gasps and wriggles his nose like a rabbit says something about cocktail service. and i take the too heavy bag from my shoulder and put it on the floor and think all we need is a woman going into labor.

i didn't panic though crowds still get to me. i found myself on the verge of hyperventalation the other night when we walked around the back of SBC nee PacBell Park before returning to our seats to watch Say Hey pushed to 4th.

on my walk back from BART i tensed my hands up and pulled my fingers about working muscles against muscles and it made me feel better. and i walked home shuffling with my hands curled up into my chest and people looked at me differently and i wondered to myself where the line is.

i'm in berkeley tonight. tomorrow i'm landscaping in the santa cruz mountains. and once again i watched the breakfast club and it reminded me of heather.

good job heather. some of your plants are still alive.

By heather on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

poor plants, i miss them.

yesterday a cute little french girl chatted me up on bart and gave me her phone number. all of her friends are in chicago where she got her computer science degree. she used the NK card. i think she spoke to me mostly because i was trying not to be mean to this really drunk guy who was asking me all kinds of questions while waiting for the train. he asked if i had a computer, and when i said yes he got this expression like computers are only used for naughty things and then asked me what i did with it. um....yeah.

By kazu on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

i'll let you know Nate, I'm really excited about my reading plans this summer.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

Nate. I be starting Light in August this weekend. It's one of three books I'm starting (including yours) to initiate my summer of good reads.

By Spider on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 11:05 pm:

I just saw someone post this about Faulkner on another messageboard:

"Yes, Faulkner is someone you really have to just give the benefit of the doubt to when reading. There is no greater writer for leading you through darkness to the light of day."

And I just wanted to say, Amen. Have you started Light in August yet, Kazu?

By kazu on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 01:01 am:

Yes, I have. I've not gotten far yet (I am also reading nate's book and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers) but I like it.

By kazu on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

So, after only three hours of sleep last night I got a call from my stepfather this morning. He didn't wake me up, but I wasn't in very good condition, particularly considering the news:

Me: (groggy, croaky voice) hello

Jim: hi, it's me, I just wanted to call and tell you that Kevin is home and he's okay now.

M: (utterly confused) wha...

J: He was electrocuted at work yesterday.

M: (suddenly wide awake) what!?!

J: yeah, he was on a job at a towing company and picked up a wire which still had electricity in it and it got him. he couldn't let go and one of the guys at the place had to grab it out of his hand. It burned his hand and nicked his heart, but he had on those hefty boots that comcast makes them buy and the doctor said that probably saved his life. you know, if he hadn't had those shoes on or if he'd been on a different and the customer panicked rather than helped, he might be gone.

DAMN.

I called Kevin this morning and he's fine. In fact, his enzymes (in his heart?) didn't even rise the normal-not-yet-dangerous amount. I guess the boots prevented the shock from going all the way through him, but even that wouldn't have mattered if the guy hadn't grabbed it. The building had some electric problems.

He's still a little shaken up but he has the weekend off. It's company policy that he has to take a drug test before he can go back but Kev says his boss would've made him stay home until monday.

Still, damn. My brother.

By Spider on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:18 pm:

Thank God he's okay!

By kazu on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:38 pm:

I know. I mean, all those times I tried to get him to stick his finger in the socket when he was younger and now he goes and gets shocked when I like him and stuff. I need him around now to make me an auntie.

Seriously, tomorrow when I've had enough sleep, it will hit me just how close he came.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

Damn. Scary shit, glad he's OK.

By J on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:23 pm:

Wow,I'm glad he's o.k. too.Praise the Lord.

By semillama on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:12 am:

To top it off, I got a phone call from my brother last night about 11pm, telling me my dad was in the hospital with a kidney infection. It's only an overnight so he should be home today, but damn.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact