Started a new hobby

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Started a new hobby
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:35 pm:

I bought a PSE recurve bow, and it's pretty awesome. http://www.pse-archery.com

It's a 3 piece, so you can break down the 2 curved arms and the handle. I actually wanted just a longbow, but they were in the $400-500 range -- I figured I'd wait on those. They're beautiful though with the inlays in the wood, and just the elegance of their shape -- so simple.

I want to pick up a .22 rifle too -- my neighbor's a gun nut and loves to shoot, so we can go to the range together.

When I was in LV a couple of weeks ago for training, my brother happened to be out there for vacation, and his father-in-law shoots guns. We took a .45 handgun, a .30/06 rifle and a .22 rifle out into the desert and shot, which was great fun.

No interest in hunting -- just shooting targets (and beer cans -- it's cool to put an arrow through a Pabst can).

Anybody else got any new hobbies?

By Spider on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

That bow is wicked cool, Dougie. I'm jealous.

I've taken up embroidery (again) -- I figured I needed to develop a tedious, time-consuming hobby with which to occupy my coming nights.

By semillama on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:57 pm:

Damn squared.

I used to have a little fiberglass bow as a kid - shot at targets of course. I wouldn't mind taking it back up, but I don't know if I would want to go to a course or anything that required spending money, actually.

By Lapis on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:28 am:

Getting bruises....

...not really a new hobby but I've just upped the intensity on it. Tried bike jousting... not a great activity in my dance team uniform. Got an ass full of gravel and a bruise running from my inner right ankle to nearly the knee.

Got another intense bruise on my inner right arm... it was all stripey when I was handing out grapes on Sunday morning, it looked almost like kanji or something. I drew it and will have it tattooed on sometime during the coming months.

By Dougie on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:42 pm:

That sounds cool Spider. I used to like watching my grandmother do that stuff -- needlepoint, embroidery, knitting. She knitted us some pretty awesome sweaters when we were kids -- she made us some Irish fishing sweaters (not sure of the term for those -- you know, the whitish, heavy type of sweater). When I was a kid, I used to like the Miami Dolphins, so she knitted me a hat and mittens in their colors for Christmas. That was really cool. Still have them somewhere. Actually, that red hat that I was wearing in that picture on my website was knitted by my grandmother for our Westie. She hated wearing it though.

Sem, I don't think you really need to take courses -- this is one thing I'm just going to have fun with and not take too seriously. Once the initial outlay for the bow, arrows, and a target is done (plus a finger tab or gloves, quiver, and arm protector), (a couple hundred bucks) I'm shooting out in my backyard. I might pick up a book or two on the basics, but I'm getting pretty good already. I think the main thing is consistency -- stance, draw, aim. They tune the bow and put a nock on the string so that you're loading the arrow in the same place each time. The dude at the store told me you can make your own targets by getting some sort of grain sack (burlap) and packing it full of wadded-up bubble wrap and dry cleaner bags.

By dave. on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:55 pm:

i liked the dolphins, too. had the jammies.

bob griese. garo yepremian.

i didn't really like them for any reason other than my brother liked the rams and i didn't like my brother but i did like flipper.

By jack on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:02 pm:

mercury morris.

By Agent D on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:43 pm:

Dougie, Ever tried 50 caliber magnum??? man, i can't even get this to shoot at target paper at the range, too fucking harsh and too fucking loud, so, i decided to make a chinese version fire cracker .

By Wallyb on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:33 am:

i just started bow lessons thier great!

im a gun nut too...but theres not many places
    left to shoot...and if thier are they like
    give you the F.B.I treatment...

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:03 pm:

Cool about the bow lessons Wally. No, Agent D, never tried a 50 caliber magnum. I did see a report on 60 Minutes the other night on 50 caliber rifles -- those things are fucking mean. There's no reason they should be sold to the public, even as a wealthy man's toy for target practice. And please don't get all NRA on my ass.

By jack on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:48 pm:

mercury morris.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact