took longer to get to work than worked

sorabji.com: What have you done?: took longer to get to work than worked
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By lapis on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 - 03:47 pm:

oh man.

at 4:30am, a mile from home, i got a flat. damnit. i called ups (the company i'm working for on a temporary basis) and talked to a random tool. i told her about my flat, about how long it would take for me to walk the remaining distance, asked what i should do. she put me on hold.

you can walk? sure, i can walk, though i don't want to. so i locked up my bike. and i walked.

industrial ne portland (near the airport) prior to 5am is extrodinarily peaceful. i tromped along, switching my bike bucket from hand to hand, listening to music, admiring the environment and thinking.

three months ago, i made the decision to be happy. and i have.

when i'm in situations like this, where it sucks but isn't necessary stressful (the time to think and admire the world around me makes an amazing difference) i find silver linings faster than anything. is that strange & unusual? could others do the same?

crossing the slough. stopped and tried to see fish and muskrats in the water. maybe i should build a canoe and explore...

maybe i should figure out the parts of life that i'm focusing on that make my life so peaceful and write something that other stormy souls could use...

ooh! a bunny! hi rabbit, where do you live? such short ears for a bunny....

i got to work an hour late, ended up working for perhaps 45 minutes. underemployed is the name of the game. one of my coworkers drove me to my bike and i walked the rest of the way home.

and began writing.... just a little bit. but writing.

By Karla on Friday, May 4, 2007 - 01:01 pm:

Maybe that flat was fate's way of telling you to take some time to sit down and write something.

By droopy on Friday, May 4, 2007 - 03:57 pm:

hell yes, you need to write. you need to write and post it here. i come here to hear people tell stories, dammit.

By lapis on Monday, May 7, 2007 - 04:32 pm:

i've barely begun, haven't worked on it since wednesday.

but life's been a little crazy.

i gave my first baby away on saturday. kombucha baby, that is. i got a mushroom off a nice woman on tribe and just started my fourth batch. it takes a little longer to grow a new baby than what i thought, but it's nice. i mix one part juice to three parts kombucha; apple cider makes it sweet, red grape juice makes it winelike.

a week ago i made a batch of frozen burritos. a cup of beans, a cup of rice and random local/organic veggies from the co-op made 19 burritos with filling left over! definitely something to try again, i want to try making my own tortillas too.

worked on two new dances this weekend to make their debuts in june. a third was rehearsed but the jumps are too hard on my ankles so i practiced for my jazz dance midterm instead. 45 minutes of stretches, then 10 running around practicing different steps with proper arms, then going over short routines 5 times each. there was time left over to discuss the imaginarybandapalooza happening in september (sarah - when will you be coming through portland?) before going over another dance a few times. much better than reading a book and letting my muscles cool off by the time i'm dancing again.

and now my webdesign class is over and i need to get home. i'm trying a new class that combines dancing, acting like animals and stickfighting this afternoon.... kinda crazy but it's free.....

By agatha on Monday, May 7, 2007 - 05:10 pm:

Lapis, I'm a little bitter that you didn't remind me about the Sprockettes performance in Olympia! Really, I'm just blaming you because I'm sad that I missed it and don't want to take responsibility for myself.

Tell me more about the kombucha babies. What are they? Isn't kombucha seaweed? Is it a beverage?

By Antigone on Monday, May 7, 2007 - 06:01 pm:

"three months ago, i made the decision to be happy. and i have."

Congrats. You've discovered the secret to happiness.

Really.

Keep practicing. Happiness, like any state of mind, is a skill. Practice makes perfect. In time you'll figure out how to turn it on and off when appropriate. (Hint: it's usually beneficial.) And, with luck, you'll be on the road to having and enjoying emotions, but not letting them rule you.

Have fun!

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 02:28 am:

Antigone, it is hard.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 04:29 am:

Yep. Sure is.

By lapis on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 07:36 pm:

agatha, i tried to get the message out there, but i'm sorry to say i didn't post it here. we'll be there again someday. olympia is beautiful. i'm trying to get a group of women together to bike to vancouver in september and one of the stops will be in olympia.

the sprockettes will be performing in seattle twice in august: first for the dead baby downhill august 3rd, then on the 11th for the tour de fat. we got asked to do halftime for the rat city rollers on the 18th but we're performing in portland the same day.

the kombucha itself is a type of fungus, usually called a mushroom but more like a type of mold. it's slimy and lives off of the sugars in sweetened tea, converting them to a variety of acids. i looked all over the internet for recipes and found some neat information instead: one of the acids in kombucha is necessary for digestion but is commonly deficient in cancer patients. maybe it can't actually cure cancer, but it seems to be something that can help.

being happy doesn't mean i'm never sad. when an emotion wells up, i acknowledge it and decide whether to hang on to it or let it go. it's a state of balance, of actively maintaining my psyche instead of letting the world buffet it with situations. it's strange how easy it is, after fighting with myself for thirteen years.

the stickfighting was a little strange (new to me), but nice to be outside for hours. i've got the strangest sunburn i've ever had, from the mid-upper-arm down, front only, more intense on the left than right; first from standing like a tree, then from waving sticks around hand-to-hand, facing the same direction for two and a half hours.

gotta have one sunburn a year. it's not so bad, but tossing around those wire mesh bags isn't. got some scrapes on my bicep right on top of the burn, oweeeeee!

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 12:48 am:

yeah, you got it

By wisper on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 09:28 pm:

i just read all about kombuchas on Wiki and google.
    Now i feel barfy.

By lapis on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:26 pm:

gotta make more sugar tea tonight.

mmmmmmmmmm.

glop!

By wisper on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:30 am:

so, what does it taste like?

By lapis on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:11 pm:

it's not particularly tasty as-is, a little sour. but mix it with unsweetened juice and it tastes like magic.

apple cider makes it just a wee bit sweet without overpowering the flavor of the kombucha at all. red grape juice makes it taste like wine. i haven't tried any other blends yet.

soon.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 07:12 pm:

so is this kombucha something you drink for fun or as a specific remedy or just for overall health?

By lapis on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:49 pm:

fun slash health.

like most of the stuff i do.

baby baby baby!

By droopy on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:20 am:

i'm heading down to the hill country this weekend for my health. i'm bringing my guitar, some topo chico, lime, and gin. i'm going to sit out on the porch and serenade the rattlesnakes. baby baby baby.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:54 am:

Where you gonna be, droop? I'll be in Centerville.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:41 pm:

southwest austin around the unincorporated oak hill area - my (mother's) family homestead.

what's going on in centerville?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 05:06 pm:

Marci's dad's ranch: linky

By sarah on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 06:46 pm:

oak hill. is that north of beaumont? is that considered hill country?

i wouldn't know, i'm not from here, but whenever people talk about hill country, they usually seem to be referring, loosely, to the areas surrounding austin.

By Alexx on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:57 pm:

hey
    im really bored.
    i like this site though.
    <3ya.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:39 pm:

i think there are several oak hills in texas, sarah, but i mean this oak hill. i can't believe you're not familiar with it. our place is near the austin zoo down rawhide trail.

we need to get a website or something.

By sarah on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:14 am:

well, i kinda thought that's what you meant, but then i didn't think there was any unincorporated part of oak hill. the whole area of oak hill seem very, very incorporated, but i guess i haven't seen much of it off the 71.

i'm very familiar with the area. in fact, senor's office building is in oak hill.

oh wait, they JUST moved to downtown austin on monday. but yeah, i know oak hill. we drive through there on our way to the springs. on our way to the blue hole. on our way to the backyard. on our way to hamilton pool. etc.

can i come to visit you?

By droopy on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:36 am:

we wouldn't have had much of a chance to visit. i went down there to be alone in the fucking country and people kept showing up at the old farmhouse.

at one point i was out on the porch playing some blues when i noticed a ringtail cat sitting on the chimney, listening to me with apparent interest. that was kind of cool.

By V on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:26 pm:

droopy,what the hell is a "live oak"....v came across that in a very,very,very old tape about the American Civil War,sung,on tape,it was called "White Mansions"....Wish v was over your place right now to play it to you,it sticks in your head for like years and years and years,and it shows you the blood and guts that were blown out,mostly in the South....yo,beware of Cats,they read Human minds,,,,my TIA and PALS do,,,most times....

By droopy on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:41 pm:

ringtail cats aren't actually cats; they're related to raccoons.

a live oak is an evergreen oak. they're all over the american south. they became symbols of strength in the south because they never "die" - lose their leaves and become dormant in winter.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:49 am:

I loved Southern states, better than northern, I have always loved going southern for winter time for one reason, A little extra of sunshine. i have always enjoyed the country in south, I loved it!

By V on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:03 am:

...I tend to think people in the South have less stress,must see it for my self one day.,but I dont know if I can take "Stand by your man" on the radio 500 times a day.

By V on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:25 am:

droopy,now I know what a "live oak" is...still wish I could play you that old tape "White Mansions",its amazing,the entire story of the American Civil War,in music.,blows your ears clean off.,loads of bottle neck guitar.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact