june 4, 2008

sorabji.com: What have you done?: june 4, 2008
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 02:32 am:

i catch the no.11 bus to the downtown bus station. i get there too late to catch the no.7 to work, so i have a half hour to kill before i can catch the next one. i need stamps, so i head for the post office.

the post office is 6 city blocks west, heading uphill (steeply for the first block, then a gentle incline for the rest) against a 30mph headwind. i really go for broke so i can make it there and get my stamps before the next bus comes.

i make it all 6 blocks - up to taylor st. - without stopping or being particualarly winded. the post office is actually a satellite office attached to the federal building. the doors have stairs in front of them and i have to make a long trip around to get to them. when i get there, they're locked. i notice a sign that says, "enter at federal building."

so i head into the foyer of the federal building. i have to go through a metal detector before they let me in. i've go all sorts of stuff - keys, a clip watch, books, mail, wallet, antacids, lip balm, bus pass, etc. tucked away in various places that i'm desperately (i wondered if i didn't look too desperate) trying to fish out and put into the little basket so i will pass the inspection. i think they just got tired of me and let me through.

i get to the post office and crash into the doors - they're locked. a woman who is nearby says they'll be back in a few minutes. while getting a drink of water, i noticed a sign saying "closed for lung 12:00 - 1:00." i can't wait till 1pm, but i decide to wait a little while longer until i have to go out to the bus station across the street from the federal building - the no.7 goes past the federal building.

the post office opens at 12:30. a few more people have congregated since then, but they let me go first - i guess because i looked so desperate. i bought my book of stamps and raced out.

i waited at the bus stop for about ten minutes before the bus came.

i could never have done all that when i was in my 20s - couldn't even have conceived of it. at 40 - living downtown and taking the bus - i get more exercise now than i ever have. sometimes i feel like i'm falling apart, but sometimes i notice that i'm probably healthier now than i've ever been.

went to the shop where i work sporadically. the boss's dog, a jack russell terrier named stella, was there that day (as she often is - the store is named after her). the dog threw up 4 times in the course of the day.

a new employee named hannah - a 20 year-old college student - was working that day. when she asked me how old i was, and i told her "41", she seemed genuinely surprised and said, "you don't look it!"

so that made me feel a little less like i'm dying old man.

i got a call from my mother while at work. she had just gotten back to fort worth after a week-long road trip to marfa, texas. some of you may know this town as where the most desolate scenes in 'no country for old men' were filmed - it's been favorite vacation spot for some members of my family for years because of the museums, the art community, the "marfa lights", the observatory, etc. it's really a cool place in it's desolate sort of way.

we go to a seafood restaurant and order wine and po' boys - i had mine with crawfish tails, she had the catfish. she told me about going to visit a museum there called ballroom marfa. they walked into the building, thought it was under construction or something, and walked out again. they asked somebody what was going on, and they were told it was actually an art exhibit called "hello meth lab in the sun." they went back to check it out. it was a painstakingly recreated meth-lab house including all the paraphenalia, stains, burn marks, smells, filth, etc - apparently all as disgusting as a real meth lab.

now i feel like road-tripping to marfa.

By sarah on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 12:08 pm:

what does a meth lab smell like?

By agatha on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 11:37 am:

Meth lab smell like chemicals.

I feel compelled to use this thread to report that my dad died last month. There you have it.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 03:36 pm:

agatha, your dad died result of doing meth lab? I am pretty sure that various of chemical in order to make a meth deemed to be harmful! HARMFUL !

By J on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 03:25 am:

I am so sorry Agatha.

By Danielssss on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 01:32 pm:

Sorry bout yyr dad Agatha.I posted twice on friday and nothing got posted. Am I being exiled? Meth lab smells badly: rotten eggs, sulpher, bad body smells and toxicity oozing from the ground.

By kazu on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 03:28 pm:

I'm sorry Agatha.

By agatha on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 05:24 pm:

Thanks, guys. Life has been pretty awful for the past couple of months.

Dr. Pepper, I was starting to grow more sympathetic towards you, but that's over now.

By agatha on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 05:25 pm:

Also, my dad was a judge. Not a meth lab operator. Just sayin.

By agatha on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 05:26 pm:

Also, sorry to hijack your excellent story thread, Droopy. I couldn't bring myself to start a new thread about the subject, so I stole yours instead.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 06:42 pm:

agatha, sorry, I was confused with your posting. hoping your not mad at me. I am your friend.

By ... on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 08:04 pm:

Daniel - i moved this web site to another server on friday. things looked weird for a while, and some postings to this board disappeared in the process. sorry, i had planned to be better organized about this server move but it got away from me.

agatha - i am sorry.

By droopy on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

you didn't hijack my thread, agatha - what i wrote up there was the result of the death of someone i knew, but not closely. but his death scared me.

so this was the appropriate thread to pick.

i'm sorry for your loss.

By sarah on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

agatha, i'm really sorry to hear about your dad. and i'm sorry to hear you've been having a hard time lately in general.

and, whenever you're up for it, if you feel like talking about your dad, i'd enjoy hearing about what he was like. if not, that's cool too.

i hope things improve soon. i'll be thinking good thoughts for you and the fam.

By sarah on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:18 pm:

mark, thanks for maintaining these boards. really appreciate it.

By Danielssss on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 01:23 pm:

Mark, a big thank you for all you do to keep this family intact. I am so very glad to be part of it, and for a long time. Now, I post seldomly these past few years, and just wondered what happened on Friday. glad to know it wassn't something I said, which is usually the case....if I had been exiled or denied or thrown out or cut off or something. No great loss in the postings lost except my congrats to Kazu and Sem, and my condolences to Agatha. And some ranting no doubt. And Sir Droopy, it is a wonderful thread.

By Danielssss on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 01:26 pm:

I think that as Father's Day is approaching we should have a dad thread.

By Antigone on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 01:43 pm:

It's always something you do, sssssss, you fucking sperm
    burping bastard.

By Ddneilssss on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 03:18 pm:

I know, I know. Gee, how happy I am to be. I knew I could wreck the internet, I just knew it. Feel the power of the goat. See the new thread, kiddo.

By patrick on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

something died in my dogs ass and its coming back in a gaseous form to torment me at this moment.

agatha..be well.

By semillama on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 05:09 pm:

I'm sorry, Agatha. My condolences. How's Cleo taking it?

By agatha on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:14 am:

Cleo told her teachers that she wasn't that sad because she really didn't know him that well. It broke my heart at the time, but I thought about it some more and she really only met him a handful of times. We would get out for a visit once a year, and sometimes even once every two years. She's sad for me, mostly. She's closer to Dave's mom and stepdad because they live closer.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. Pepper, I forgive, although I still have no idea what goes on in your head at pretty much any point in time.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 01:32 pm:

I understand what Cleo said, I felt that way about my own grandfather - I really have no functional memories of him at all. He didn't really interact with me when we would visit. He died when I was around 8 or 9, I think (my other grandfather died long before I was born). I never really saw my own grandparents enough to form any real bond with them, so I didn't really grieve when they died. It seems unreal when my relatives die, since for most of my life I have never really seen them due to the distances between groups of my family.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 05:37 pm:

by talking about my recently deceased grandparents frequently i keep them alive for eva and help create memories she cant possibly have as she only met them less than three times in the first 3 years of her life.

i frequently tell her about her time with them, and also things i did with them and its as if she knows them, they are just as real to her as any other friend or family member she sees frequently.

By platypus on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 05:47 pm:

Patrick, I think that's a really neat thing to do for Eva.

I didn't really get to interact with my father's parents much before they died, but I love hearing him talk about them. They were really interesting people, and he had a very conflicted relationship with them, but I feel like that makes them more human, for me. I hope that you have some interesting papers/photos/mementos for Cleo to look through, because those really make my grandparents come alive in my mind, even though I didn't know them well in life.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact