Bouillebaisse

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Bouillebaisse
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 01:28 pm:

For mothers day i asked the woman if there was something special we could do. Something special I could cook for her. As she is currently reading a Julia Child biography she went to the classic Julia Child Mastering of French Cooking which has a somewhat like bible-status in our house.

Page 51 Bouillebaisse with a homemade rouille

holy fuck did she lay it on me. she admitted it was a very complicated dish and she had never made it herself but that the force would be with me.

thankfully with julia's books if you follow *exactly* as she says you wont fuck up. of course if you do fuck up because you didnt pay attention you risk have the 6'5" ghost of julia child haunting and scolding you for not paying attention. its that serious.

for the uninitiated a bouillebaisse is basically a french peasant soup. made with fish and the scraps of fish.

the base-
    onions, leeks and garlic sauteed

-add chopped tomato and the following spices-
    parsley, bay leave, fennnel, saffron, basil and 2 quarts of water along with a shit load of clam juice and some fish scraps. whatever you have. we used some left over red snapper. also add a medium potato for the rouille

simmer for an hour

the rouille
    diced red peppers that have simmered for 5 minutes
    boil a chili until soft
    4 garlic cloves
    basil
    cooked potato

press all these into a sticky paste with a mortar and pestle. this takes some elbow grease. add grape seed oil to make smooth.

strain the soup stock
    add whatever fish you got. we used some sol, halibut and mussels. and return to boil. dont over cook!

seperate fish onto a platter, laddle some soup over it.

make some french crusty bread with greyeur

toss in two bottles of rhone rose later and you have a very happy lover.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

Wow, I'm impressed!

By sarah on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 12:06 am:

that's awesome. how did it turn out?

i once made home made mole, and it took me literally an entire weekend to complete.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:02 am:

according to her fanfuckintastic.

i dont eat seafood so i wouldn't know.

we have a great homemade recipe for mole. from book she got at this cafe in santa fe.

http://www.pasquals.com/

it does take all fucking day but holy shit is it worth it. the good thing is, the recipe yields enough to freeze

By platypus on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:20 am:

Woah, all that for a soup you couldn't even eat? That is intense.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:47 am:

well, yeah. you know. it netted me serious poon points.

By platypus on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 01:11 pm:

Fair enough. It just seems kind of cruel to ask someone to make something they can't eat...

By patrick on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 01:55 pm:

it was really my fault by asking if you could have anything for a meal what would it be.

since she doesnt eat meat and i don't eat seafood its not uncommon we sit down with two toally different meals.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact