Fine, damn your eyes

sorabji.com: How do you do?: Fine, damn your eyes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Oswald Jr. on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 11:28 pm:

Not much to say tonite so you may ask why the hell I am typing here. I am typing for the best of all reasons. For the hell of it. And I am happy about my friends being near me we kinda got snowed in togeather and its nice. One of us got a job. My friend Keota took this job and now I do not see her so much but saw her yesterday and it make me very glad to see her and she got more $$ cause of the job and that is just peachy God knows we all need more of that green stuff. My folks are so cool. They catch me doing some thing I should not but, they were cool. I was making out but it got kinda out of control but not too bad and they had a word with me but its o.k. now. It is not like we were haveing sex or some thing like that. I can not imagane life now with out my boy friend and want to be near him all the time. Like forever. I will lose him soon to school it is hurting us both but he must go to college but he won his fight with his folks and is going to stay close to me stead of going away out of state. I am geting better on bass and still tryen to write songs and I am doing good in school but these God damn commas are killing me and I got 80 instead of 100 on my spelling test which piss me off cause thats my best subject beside history. I mean vocabulary is my best. Not spelling like putting whole bunch of shit togather on a page cause you know I still write like crap but its coming along. I mite ask for a snow day tomorrow cause we agread that I can have what ever days off school kids get in the public school. They may or may not get snow day but what the fuck ladys and gents there is snow on the ground and thats good enuf for me. Well that is the Oswald report for now. I'm still preaching the Gospel of amalgamated groove. I am still the high priest of hipness and of course the Archbishop of Funk. I am he who smites heathens betwean their beady little eyes with his throbbing foot long member. Selah!

By TBone on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:11 am:

Your writing kicks ass, Oswald. You catch on quickly.

We're getting snowed on too. It was cold, snowy, and windy all day. I didn't get warmed up all day.
    I wore my green trenchcoat with the wool liner and I was still cold.

Most people can't handle commas, anyway. I use as many as possible. Once you get them figured out, you'll be ahead of the game.

Preach on!

By moonit on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 01:20 am:

I hate commas. They annoy and confuse me.

Do you guys mind if I mention that it is SUMMER here. SUMMER. SUMMER. HEAT. BBQ's..

hehe

By TBone on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:04 am:

I do indeed, unless you're a-gonna box some up and send me a little of that summer.

By Czarina on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 03:13 am:

Comma Bashers.

By moonit on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 03:17 am:

Czarina are you upset that you're not in our secret society?

By patrick on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

shit, im glad for winter. falling asleep hearing the heat hum makes me feel good.

your toilets still flush the wrong way and that will never change

By moonit on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

No, yours are wrong!

First thing I do when I get to the US is to laugh at your wrong way flushing toilets.

By patrick on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

well.....you do that.

don't be surprised if there is an chrous of Northern Hemisphere laughter greeting you at the gate.

By moonit on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

Yes, or a bunch of men in white coats with a nice padded jacket for me.

By Auzzie on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

What you stiffs in the states have got to remember is that volume doesnt mean quality. American books are useful for holding open doors, propping up beds, throwing at barking dogs, and lighting bonfires.

They have no literary merit whatsoever.

You havent produced a decent writer since F Scott Fitzgerald - and he was a pastiche of the English writer Firbank Knowles.

By patrick on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

HA!!!!

a English fucknut calling us Americans STIFF!!!!

yeah your totally right though.....we haven't produced a decent writer since Fitzgerald. TOTALLY right

not that it matters, but we know who you are.

no matter how many names you use on sorabji we know who you are.

By semillama on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 08:51 pm:

And we laugh and laugh and laugh at you on
    the secret boards, right, Patrick?

By pez on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 03:44 am:

oswald!

yeaness!

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 09:01 am:

Hello Pezness! I am only here for a few minits on my way to Oklahoma for a little while but then I will be rite back just going over to pick up something for my boy friend's mother. She bought a dresser over there but need it dealivered now so Dorian has borrow a truck this morning. It is just me and D and my friend Violet. Vi needs some cheer up she had a panic attack. Was supose to be reading some poetry in front of people and its like her first time and she flips out at the mike and can not go on she starts to cry in front of every body and panicks and locks her self in the bathroom. Later she sneeks out of the place and calls for Dorian and he comes to get her and shes like totaly embarased. Her friends will be cool and those who can not be cool can piss off.

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:26 am:

yes sem.

actually last night i watched this frontline show about hackers, and i started to get paranoid that all of you are hackers....and Im the big non-hacker joke.

i considered never coming here ever ever ever again.

i think fitgerald was over rated. I just finished reading Tender is the Night. A decent book...but not mind blowing.

By agatha on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

yeah. i'm a hacker.

how funny would that be?

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:22 pm:

hackers are known for their cynicism.

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

I am back. That dresser was a bitch to move. And the lady at the place where we pick it up is like 400 years old and shes got pix of Jesus all over her office. Like if you go to heaven you will not see so many pix of Jesus. But she gave us some pie and that is real nice but it was kinda weird and the fruit inside was like rubber. So we eat our rubber fruit pie and try to get the hell out but she wants to tell us about her church and a milion other things and she got this dog named Bumpy and he is missing 2 legs and just get around with the front ones and he makes this strange noise when he scoots around. And the lady gives Violet some old perfume that smells like roses and bleach. Violet spraid it all in my hair later on. The old lady give us some rocks. Some crystals and I will keep mine for good luck it is a yellow stone. You can not have too many good luck charms.

By moonit on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 05:52 pm:

Oswald, you make me laugh out loud. Rubber fruit pie. hehe

By pez on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 02:03 am:

that would be a good name for my band...

ozzo. guess what. i am starting a band. i got a keyboard a couple weeks ago and i am trying to find other people who are willing to get to my house to play music (how do you fit a 66-key keyboard on a bike?).

i am moving upstairs/allison moved out this week and i get her room in the southwest corner of the house on the second floor. it was an upstairs kitchen at one time, so there is a ton of cupboards and a sink with a big ol' piece of wood on top. i put all my books in the high cupboards, put my loom on the very top next to an old lantern and i've got my teapot and pez dispensers over the sink. i put all my wicca stuff on more shelves and i'm going to start doing daily rituals so i can be a good little pagan.

there are tons more cupboards below the counter and i'm filling them with my office supplies and sewing stuff. my mom is giving me her typewriter and a dried grass rug to put over the red tile floor.

i am so excited i have a closet a closet now i can put all my clothes away and close the door. i am going to hve it all nice and clean so i can film an animated movie on the countertop with paper and pipecleaner characters.

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

Pez its great that you are starting a band! It is so fun. There is nothing like a band it is the coolest thing in the world you can do. Even if your band totaly sux it still makes you way cooler than people who go no band at all. My band got a big set back. One of us got a job. That is awful cause jobs just get in the damn way. That is why some day I hope my job and my band will be one and the same thing.

By semillama on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:12 pm:

yeah, but jobs allow you to buy band
    equipment, so it is ok.

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:53 pm:

Yeah. So when we all make our first milion at minamum wage jobs we'll have enough equipment to take over the world. I talked with my folx about a job when I turn 16 and they do not want that but want me to deal with school full time and that is fine with me, school takes a lot of my time and i dont take the summer off.My reading and writing is way better than it use to be and that is much more important than flippin burgers for chump change.

By pez on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 01:11 am:

very true. i'd much rather know how to spell massetscheusetts (see, i can't spell it either) than know how to make a supersized mcdonalds meal.

but i have a keyboard and my flutes and microphones and somebody left a mic stand in the basement which means i might use it in the future.

i was in my room, sitting at my keyboard looking at sheet music when i realized that i have a recording of debussy's arabesque #1, which i'm trying to figure out the fingerings for. so i played it on the player that's on my shelves that are right behind my back when i'm at my keyboard and cassandra comes in and thinks i'm actually playing that good! it was pretty cool.

i got my first fan mail today. i threw copies of my zine onstage when i went to see kittie a month ago and some guy picked one up and took it home. "All I have to say is that you rock. You rock massively. Like big HUGE massively. You get the idea." he emailed me today and it is a great big ego boost i might even finish those reviews i was supposed to do for mister ridiculous back in september.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 11:54 am:

You got fan mail. You rock. Some day I will have fans too and they will follow me around wanting to service me. Had a big talk with my folx about school and it is like this. When I am 18 Pilate will still be my teacher but not like it is now. A big part of his day is teaching me it is like a 24 7 job but then he also work at 2 jobs and it is kinda clear that he will need a break befoar I will. I can see the stress in him like theres moments when he looks like he could put his fist thru the fucking wall. but he wants to be my teacher way more than he wants to work those damn jobs. I told him that if he need to take a day off or a week off thats o.k. with me cause even teachers get breaks. He gets some help in my school stuff but he is my main teacher and I want to keep it that way I learn more from him. He is worry about $$ and school and all kinds of things I am tryin to be cool and not give him any shit. Well not much shit anyway. Gotta give him a little or he would think I am slipping.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

Well, he and you are doing a good job with
    school. Your writing and spelling are on par
    with most adults as far I know,

By Pilate on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:39 am:

Thanks, Sem. It's not quite as dire as described above. I'm not about to put my fist through the wall. Not today, at least. I'm stressed but who the hell isn't? I just wish I could devote more time to homeschooling and less time to horseshit. I've become rather addicted to teaching this little sprout. He's right, it's a 24/7 kind of deal, which is great. And despite what he's said above, the schooling doesn't necessarily have to stop the day he turns 18. The kid asks questions continuously and I enjoy trying to answer them ("trying" is the key word......he stumps me a lot). It's very rewarding. And exhausting.

By pez on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

jobs suck.

i think in the idea of jobs versus educating, i'd rather be educating. particularly homeschool.

right now i'm sorta educating myself, i'm working on alphabets. i started last nightand i'm working on the hebrew alphabet with meanings and sounds.

"the fist letter of the hebrew alphabet is aleph. which is the equivalent of the roman letter "a". it means cattle or wealth, and the number one which also means that it symbolizes the father, the head of the family in ancient israel. it is connected with taurus and orion."

always ask questions.

By Pilate on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

Educating yourself is a great thing. I spent a lot of time attempting to educate myself after I got out of school. I had a pretty decent track record in school but felt that it simply wasn't enough. Spent a lot of hours alone hanging out in the library. I eventually hung out there so long that they offered me a job.

I'm a geek. I admit it. I'd rather hang out with a stack of books than with most people I know.

Studying Hebrew is good for you. Be sure to take up studying Qabalah while you're at it. Mysticism is as good a pasttime as any.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

"Screwing yourself is a great thing. I spent a lot of time attempting to screw myself after I got out of school. I had a pretty decent track record in school but felt that it simply wasn't enough. Spent a lot of hours alone hanging out in the library. I eventually hung out there so long that they offered me a job."

reading your post pilate...some sort of subconscious alarm went off.

i had to repost. thanks for the 30-45 sec of entertainment.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

that was lovely, patrick.

Education is generally more interesting when you can direct your own course of learing. But sometimes its hard to stay motivated on your own, at least for me. Sometimes want to go faster than what i'm learning in school, but sometimes it goes faster than me. Thats what keeps me learning the stuff though. Thats how public schools have been for me anyhoo. Oswald + Pilate, how does your homeschooling situation work? I am curious.

By Pilate on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

Oswald dropped out of school. Ever since that point, my spouse and I have basically taken over his education. We're not working toward any major testing right now, not even the GED (that'll come later). It's a private, in-home arrangement. As far as the public school system goes, the kid's off the radar. He's a dropout. But at home, we're making up for years of lost time. In public school, Oswald was misdiagnosed as mentally retarded and nothing was done with him for years. They didn't even try. He was also severely bullied. He's a highly intelligent kid, but learning disabled. So we're working with that. Verbally, I think he's light years ahead of most people his age. On paper he's a bit behind. He has a hard time writing or reading anything too complex. He gets a set of lessons daily but they're flexible as hell. It can range from traditional studies to watching a documentary on TV. He also loves being read to, something I've been doing a lot of lately. He absorbs what he hears much better than what he reads. He writes reports and gets vocabulary words and spelling tests every week. He has a great love of history too. If it were up to him, he'd just study history and spelling lessons, but I have to be a hardass and sneak in unpleasantness like math and the occasional bit of science.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

thats very awesome. i used to hate math and science, but now (though i still like to read and write) my primary interest is physics. i think at some point i was presented with math and science as a kind of art, and my whole perception of them changed.

By Pilate on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

Physics, in particular, can be an art form. Math and science can both have paradoxially artistic moments. I'm much more of a humanities person myself, though. Still, I have great respect for anyone who pursues science or mathematics as their chosen career.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

thank you

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 03:56 pm:

I am sick today. Your Captain is ailing. So is every body else round here its weird we all got sick at once and it come on real sudden one minute you are fine and the next your snotting and sneezing and coughen up lungs, I feel like hell but I get to take enuf cough syrup to feel kinda good while I shake and sneeze. Pilate got it the worst he is big time sick now and got some thing kinda difrent from me. It come on so fast it is scarey. Crimson got it too her sickness is more like mine. Pilate got some othar illness. I am afraid i have give this now to all my friends. I am a walking germ bag spraying my diseaese all over town. At least I dont have leperosy. I read about that once and it sux.

By Ophelia on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 04:43 pm:

I hope you all feel better soon.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

Thanx. I'm still trying to do a bit of school even tho I feel bad today I can not think good enuf to write a whole paper but I can look at my English lesson I have to take my vocab words and make them into senteances. This is taken forever. Longer than it would take normal but I feel bad and when I am done with this I am done with school for the day what can you do when teacher and student are both sick. Then I will call my friends on the phone cause I probly should not be seeing them in person on acount of I will just give them my sickness. If I am up later I will check out this TV show about the founding fathers they were tripped out guys that started this country Ben Franklin was my fave that guy knew every thing.

By Ophelia on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 05:24 pm:

Ben Franklin is one of my favorites, too. I also like Jefferson. But Franklin was cooler becuase he was a scientist, as well as a good politician. And he was funny too. You should watch the musical 1776. Its about the Declaration of Independece, and its a fun movie.

By pez on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:29 am:

ben franklin nominated the turkey for the national bird. he's a cool guy.

for hebrew i draw out the letters on graph paper and then type the definitions (on my mom's old college typewriter that she gave me) alongside. it goes into things like "the number one signifies the father in patriarcial societies such as ancient israel" and i have to laugh because the author tries to sound so highbrow despite his poor grammar.

after hebrew is done, i'll move on to greek, runes and ogham, and i've begun some work on ideographs. i'm going to make various charts about the symbolism of the letters (there are several astrological and numerological connections involved... ogham has a tree for every letter) and work on using them in everyday writing. i'd like to do a deck of tarot cards, similar to the thoth tarot by aeliester crowley, only a little more in-depth and tailored to my tastes.

i am also working on my room because i've moved upstairs and i have lots of cupboards. i don't want anything under my bed anymore because it's always my yarn or something else i want to use. i finished my hat today, i knitted it way back in october but today i sewed up the seam so now i have a hand-knit beanie to wear under my bycycle helmet.

i need to cook on saturday afternoon. i work all day tomorrow and i have two parties to attend on saturday night but i'm one of the hosts for a potluck on sunday. we are having tons of people over i hope and we're going to begin planning the 2002 portland zine symposium. it'll be great and everyone should come, by the way.

take care, oswald and pilate. don't wear out the archbishop's nose.

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:38 am:

One of my crew chiefs keeps threatening to
    travel out to PDX after I told him about
    Powell's. I may go with him, but I would much
    rather do a NW grand tour, starting in Seattle
    with My old friend Carole and getting a new
    tattoo from her husband, then perhaps seeing
    cyst and Agatha and dave., then coming down
    to PDX and hanging out with pez, who is pretty
    cool. plus we could go to Reading Frenzy and
    load up on our respective fav zines.

By agatha on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:49 am:

i'm down wit dat. i'm all over the zine symposium, pez. i can't wait.

i just got the urge to say something else, but i can't.

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 09:19 am:

Robert Graves has written some things on Ogham, pez, and you may be able to find some divination cards involving the Celtic Tree of Life, which uses Ogham.

When I stayed in Limerick, Ireland, we wandered our way into a farm that had some Celtic standing stones near a well. One of the stones had a hole carved into it, and Ogham letters carved into the sides. It was really cool.

Ben Franklin was something of a lech. Come to Philadelphia, Oswald. You can learn a lot about him there. When I was a kid, every year we'd get a visit from a guy dressed up like Franklin who would talk to us about his life and his inventions.

By pez on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

tomorrow is the first planning potluck, right here in on-ramp central!

i am making some fabulous vegan beans, with pineapple and ketchup and hoisin sauce.

i laid aside my hebrew for a few days, i need to cook and clean for the potluck, and put some things away in my bedroom (i'll want it fairly neat if i'll be showing it off.

ogham is pretty cook because it was both a written and a sign language.

By Ophelia on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

I want to learn Greek. Both modern and ancient, and I also want to learn Russian. I'm reading Anna Karenina (in English) and I keep wondering how things were phrased prior to the translation. I had the same problem when I read the Odyssey in school; thats what made me want to be able to read the original texts. It's really neat to be able to understand a language that you weren't born with.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact