Robert Novak

sorabji.com: How do you do?: Robert Novak
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 10:51 am:

WASHINGTON -- I had thought I never again would write about retired diplomat Joseph Wilson's CIA-employee wife, but feel constrained to do so now that repercussions of my July 14 column have reached the front pages of major newspapers and led off network news broadcasts. My role and the role of the Bush White House have been distorted and need explanation.

The leak now under Justice Department investigation is described by former Ambassador Wilson and critics of President Bush's Iraq policy as a reprehensible effort to silence them. To protect my own integrity and credibility, I would like to stress three points. First, I did not receive a planned leak. Second, the CIA never warned me that the disclosure of Wilson's wife working at the agency would endanger her or anybody else. Third, it was not much of a secret.

The current Justice investigation stems from a routine, mandated probe of all CIA leaks, but follows weeks of agitation. Wilson, after telling me in July that he would say nothing about his wife, has made investigation of the leak his life's work -- aided by the relentless Sen. Charles Schumer of New York. These efforts cannot be separated from the massive political assault on President Bush.

This story began July 6 when Wilson went public and identified himself as the retired diplomat who had reported negatively to the CIA in 2002 on alleged Iraq efforts to buy uranium yellowcake from Niger. I was curious why a high-ranking official in President Bill Clinton's National Security Council (NSC) was given this assignment. Wilson had become a vocal opponent of President Bush's policies in Iraq after contributing to Al Gore in the last election cycle and John Kerry in this one.

During a long conversation with a senior administration official, I asked why Wilson was assigned the mission to Niger. He said Wilson had been sent by the CIA's counterproliferation section at the suggestion of one of its employees, his wife. It was an offhand revelation from this official, who is no partisan gunslinger. When I called another official for confirmation, he said: "Oh, you know about it." The published report that somebody in the White House failed to plant this story with six reporters and finally found me as a willing pawn is simply untrue.

At the CIA, the official designated to talk to me denied that Wilson's wife had inspired his selection but said she was delegated to request his help. He asked me not to use her name, saying she probably never again will be given a foreign assignment but that exposure of her name might cause "difficulties" if she travels abroad. He never suggested to me that Wilson's wife or anybody else would be endangered. If he had, I would not have used her name. I used it in the sixth paragraph of my column because it looked like the missing explanation of an otherwise incredible choice by the CIA for its mission.

How big a secret was it? It was well known around Washington that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA. Republican activist Clifford May wrote Monday, in National Review Online, that he had been told of her identity by a non-government source before my column appeared and that it was common knowledge. Her name, Valerie Plame, was no secret either, appearing in Wilson's "Who's Who in America" entry.

A big question is her duties at Langley. I regret that I referred to her in my column as an "operative," a word I have lavished on hack politicians for more than 40 years. While the CIA refuses to publicly define her status, the official contact says she is "covered" -- working under the guise of another agency. However, an unofficial source at the Agency says she has been an analyst, not in covert operations.

The Justice Department investigation was not requested by CIA Director George Tenet. Any leak of classified information is routinely passed by the Agency to Justice, averaging one a week. This investigative request was made in July shortly after the column was published. Reported only last weekend, the request ignited anti-Bush furor.

****************************************************************************************************

I know most of you, if not all, do not read Town Hall, but I wanted to bring the author os the story every democrat is having a hay day over.
    A 3 month old article.
    Much ado about nothing.

PS Wilson was a retired diplomat, who sat with Niger diplomats for eight days, yacking and drinking mint tea, and then you know the rest of the story.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 10:58 am:

Spy Games

By Clifford D. May
    National Review Online
    September 29, 2003
    Web site

It's the top story in the Washington Post this morning as well as in many other media outlets. Who leaked the fact that the wife of Joseph C. Wilson IV worked for the CIA?

What also might be worth asking: "Who didn't know?"

I believe I was the first to publicly question the credibility of Mr. Wilson, a retired diplomat sent to Niger to look into reports that Saddam Hussein had attempted to purchase yellowcake uranium for his nuclear-weapons program.

On July 6, Mr. Wilson wrote an op-ed for the New York Times in which he
    said: "I have little choice but to conclude that some of the intelligence related to Iraq's nuclear weapons program was twisted to exaggerate the Iraqi threat."

On July 11, I wrote a piece for NRO arguing that Mr. Wilson had no basis for that conclusion - and that his political leanings and associations (not disclosed by the Times and others journalists interviewing him) cast serious doubt on his objectivity.

On July 14, Robert Novak wrote a column in the Post and other newspapers naming Mr. Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, as a CIA operative.

That wasn't news to me. I had been told that - but not by anyone working in the White House. Rather, I learned it from someone who formerly worked in the government and he mentioned it in an offhanded manner, leading me to infer it was something that insiders were well aware of.

I chose not to include it (I wrote a second NRO piece on this issue on July 18) because it didn't seem particularly relevant to the question of whether or not Mr. Wilson should be regarded as a disinterested professional who had done a thorough investigation into Saddam's alleged attempts to purchase uranium in Africa.

What did appear relevant could easily be found in what the CIA would call "open sources." For example, Mr. Wilson had long been a bitter critic of the current administration, writing in such left-wing publications as The Nation that under President Bush, "America has entered one of it periods of historical madness" and had "imperial ambitions."

What's more, he was affiliated with the pro-Saudi Middle East Institute and he had recently been the keynote speaker for the Education for Peace in Iraq Center, a far-Left group that opposed not only the U.S. military intervention in Iraq but also the sanctions and the no-fly zones that protected Iraqi Kurds and Shias from being slaughtered by Saddam.

Mr. Wilson is now saying (on C-SPAN this morning, for example) that he opposed military action in Iraq because he didn't believe Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and he foresaw the possibility of a difficult occupation. In fact, prior to the U.S. invasion, Mr. Wilson told ABC's Dave Marash that if American troops were sent into Iraq, Saddam might "use a biological weapon in a battle that we might have. For example, if we're taking Baghdad or we're trying to take, in ground-to-ground, hand-to-hand combat."

Equally, important and also overlooked: Mr. Wilson had no apparent background or skill as an investigator. As Mr. Wilson himself acknowledged, his so-called investigation was nothing more than "eight days drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people" at the U.S. embassy in Niger. Based on those conversations, he concluded that "it was highly doubtful that any [sale of uranium from Niger to Iraq] had ever taken place."

That's hardly the same as disproving what British intelligence believed - and continues to believe: that Saddam Hussein was actively attempting to purchase uranium from somewhere in Africa. (Whether Saddam succeeded or not isn't the point; were Saddam attempting to make such purchases it would suggest that his nuclear-weapons-development program was active and ongoing.)

For some reason, this background and these questions have been consistently omitted in the Establishment media's reporting on Mr. Wilson and his charges.

There also remains this intriguing question: Was it primarily due to the fact that Mr. Wilson's wife worked for the CIA that he received the Niger assignment?

Mr. Wilson has said that his mission came about following a request from Vice President Cheney. But it appears that if Mr. Cheney made the request at all, he made it of the CIA and did not know Mr. Wilson and certainly did not specify that he wanted Mr. Wilson put on the case.

It has to be seen as puzzling that the agency would deal with an inquiry from the White House on a sensitive national-security matter by sending a retired, Bush-bashing diplomat with no investigative experience. Or didn't the CIA bother to look into Mr. Wilson's background?

If that's what passes for tradecraft in Langley, we're in more trouble than any of us have realized.

- Clifford D. May, a former New York Times foreign correspondent, is president of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a policy institute focusing on terrorism.

At minimum, you have to admit that Wilson cannot be considered a dis-interested party.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:20 am:

it just means the dems have come out of their post 911 coma. it's about time, too.

fuck shit up.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:39 am:

I think it's a simple case of what goes around comes around, although I don't know if the Dems are as willing or capable of going as nasty as the Repubs do and have done.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

Hm. Let's put the pieces of Novak's article together:

"During a long conversation with a senior administration official...said Wilson had been sent by the CIA's counterproliferation section at the suggestion of one of its employees, his wife. It was an offhand revelation from this official..."

"Any leak of classified information is routinely passed by the Agency to Justice..."

So a "senior administration official" made an "offhand" leak of classified information. The particular kind of leak, revealing the identity of a CIA operative, is a federal felony to perform.

This is "much ado about nothing" to you, spunk?

Hey, man, do you have access to classified information? Can you reveal some for us, if you do? I mean, if it's no big deal, I'm sure you'll have no problem doing that.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

In Novak's article:
    "The published report that somebody in the White House failed to plant this story with six reporters...is simply untrue."

But then, in May's article:
    "That wasn't news to me. I had been told that - but not by anyone working in the White House. Rather, I learned it from someone who formerly worked in the government and he mentioned it in an offhanded manner..."

Seems it was leaked to May, so that's one out of the six. Where are the other five?

Also note that May says that his source is not _working_ in the White House, but _worked_ in government. That leaves the possibility that the leak worked in the White House.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

And, the implication of May's article is troubling. If you have certain political views should you be excluded from gathering intelligence? Are Democrats and liberals unfit to serve in intelligence agencies?

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:20 pm:

Im going to lead you by the nose, since you cannot do it yourself.
    Who has really read the Patriot Act 2?

Please, anyone. Have you looked it up and read it yet?

No?

Maybe you should.

Oh,and for those of you who ask for a summary, I will summarize my point in this "copy and paste":

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S . 22
    To enhance domestic security and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 7, 2003
    Mr. DASCHLE (for himself, Mr. LEAHY, Mr. BIDEN, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. DURBIN, Mrs. CLINTON, Mrs. MURRAY, Mr. DAYTON, Mr. CORZINE, and Mr. REED) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

This is NOT Aschroft's Bill.
    Nor is it Cheney's or even Bush's.

They are simply SUPPORTING it.
    And are they saying "Hey, it's Tom's Bill"?

No.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

"Hey, man, do you have access to classified information? Can you reveal some for us, if you do? I mean, if it's no big deal, I'm sure you'll have no problem doing that."

No, I have no access to date on the CIA or NSA level. Sorry. And my classification in the DIA is Analyst.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

"The Constitution is a Radical Document...It is the job of Government to rein in people's rights!" ---President Bill Clinton on MTV

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

OK, what does the PA2 have to do with the CIA leak?

Are you hitting the tussin again? Two of the last three posts are on completely different subjects.

And how about giving the full context of that Clinton quote, without the "..." inside? It could just as easily be "The Constitution is a Radical Document. I'd be a fuckin' idiot to say it is the job of Government to rein in people's rights!"

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

"It is the job of Government to rein in people's rights!" Is a complete statement.

And while a different subject, same topic.

Dems are lying, flat out lying, and the lies are being taken for facts.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

like thats exclusive to dems bitch.

your president lied out his ass to send 150k american troops to war, killing many of them, and thousands more iraqis.

if you wanna talk lies bitch, you bess come to the table your team is already down significantly.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 02:15 pm:

"'It is the job of Government to rein in people's rights!' Is a complete statement."

And, it's a true one.

If you disagree, then I guess you'd like to get rid of laws against murder 'n' stuff, right?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

Hey, spunk, here's a law currently on the books that you should read

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

"This is NOT Aschroft's Bill.
    Nor is it Cheney's or even Bush's."

Hey, spunk, I've got a little piece of news for you:

Republicans and conservatives have a controlling majority of EVERY BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT.

ANYTHING that happens in government now is THEIR FAULT.

You can't blame ANYTHING on Democrats or liberals now.

NOTHING.

If ANYTHING passes, it's because the Republicans want it to.

I just wanted to lay that simple concept out for you.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

You know, it's funny. Conservatives love that supposed MTV quote, but notice how they never give any information about the transcript where that appears. To the best of my knowledge, none exists.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

January 7, 2003
    Mr. DASCHLE (for himself, Mr. LEAHY, Mr. BIDEN, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. DURBIN, Mrs. CLINTON, Mrs. MURRAY, Mr. DAYTON, Mr. CORZINE, and Mr. REED) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

A former counter-terrorism official at the CIA and the State Department claimed Tuesday night that outed CIA agent "Valerie Plame" was under cover for three decades and was not a "CIA analyst" as columnist Bob Novak has suggested.

Larry Johnson made the charge on PBS's NEWSHOUR.

"I worked with this woman. She started training with me. She has been under cover for three decades."

Johnson continues: She is not as Bob Novak suggested a "CIA analyst." Given that, i was a CIA analyst for 4 years. I was under cover. I could not divulge to my family outside of my wife that I worked for the CIA unti I left the Intelligence Agency on Sept. 30, 1989. At that point I could admit it. The fact that she was under cover for three decades and that has been divulged is outrageous. She was put undercover for certain reasons. One, she works in an area where people she works with overseas could be compromised...

"For these journalists to argue that this is no big deal... and if I hear another Republican operative suggesting that, well, this was just an analyst. Fine. Let them go undercover. Let's put them go overseas. Let's out them and see how they like it...

"I say this as a registered Republican. I am on record giving contributions to the George Bush campaign. This is not about partisan politics. This is about a betrayal, a political smear, of an individual who had no relevance to the story. Publishing her name in that story added nothing to it because the entire intent was, correctly as Amb. Wilson noted, to intimidate, to suggest taht there was some impropriety that somehow his wife was in a decision-making position to influence his ability to go over and savage a stupid policy, an erroneous policy, and frankly what was a false policy of suggesting that there was nuclear material in Iraq that required this war. This was about a political attack. To pretend it was something else, to get into this parsing of words.

"I tell you, it sickens me to be a Republican to see this."

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

Hey, spunk! You can cut and paste the same stuff over and over! How kewl is that?

I can cut and paste too.

Here's the titles for every section of the bill.

Exactly which provisions do you not like, spunk?

TITLE I--COMBATING TERRORISM AND ENHANCING DOMESTIC SECURITY

Subtitle A--Supporting First Responders
    Sec. 1101. Short title.
    Sec. 1102. Purpose.
    Sec. 1103. First Responders Partnership Grant Program for public safety officers.
    Sec. 1104. Applications.
    Sec. 1105. Definitions.
    Sec. 1106. Authorization of appropriations.
    Subtitle B--Border Security
    Sec. 1201. Short title.
    Sec. 1202. Authorization of appropriations for hiring additional INS personnel.
    Sec. 1203. Authorization of appropriations for improvements in technology for improving border security.
    Sec. 1204. Report on border security improvements.
    Subtitle C--Military Tribunals Authorization
    Sec. 1301. Short title.
    Sec. 1302. Findings.
    Sec. 1303. Establishment of extraordinary tribunals.
    Sec. 1304. Procedural requirements.
    Sec. 1305. Detention.
    Sec. 1306. Sense of Congress.
    Sec. 1307. Definitions.
    Sec. 1308. Termination of authority.
    Subtitle D--Anti Terrorist Hoaxes and False Reports
    Sec. 1401. Short title.
    Sec. 1402. Findings.
    Sec. 1403. Hoaxes, false reports and reimbursement.
    Subtitle E--Amendments to Federal Antiterrorism Laws
    Sec. 1501. Attacks against mass transit clarification of definition.
    Sec. 1502. Release or detention of a material witness.
    Sec. 1503. Clarification of sunset provision in USA Patriot Act.

TITLE II--PROTECTING AMERICA'S CHILDREN AND SENIORS

Subtitle A--Children's Safety
    Part 1--National AMBER Alert Network
    Sec. 2111. Short title.
    Sec. 2112. National coordination of AMBER Alert Communications Network.
    Sec. 2113. Minimum standards for issuance and dissemination of alerts through AMBER Alert Communications Network.
    Sec. 2114. Grant program for notification and communications systems along highways for recovery of abducted children.
    Sec. 2115. Grant program for support of AMBER Alert communications plans.
    Part 2--Prosecutional Remedies and Tools Against the Exploitation of Children Today
    Sec. 2121. Short title.
    Sec. 2122. Findings.
    Sec. 2123. Certain activities relating to material constituting or containing child pornography.
    Sec. 2124. Admissibility of evidence.
    Sec. 2125. Definitions.
    Sec. 2126. Recordkeeping requirements.
    Sec. 2127. Extraterritorial production of child pornography for distribution in the United States.
    Sec. 2128. Civil remedies.
    Sec. 2129. Enhanced penalties for recidivists.
    Sec. 2130. Sentencing enhancements for interstate travel to engage in sexual act with a juvenile.
    Sec. 2131. Miscellaneous provisions.
    Part 3--Reauthorization of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    Sec. 2141. Short title.
    Sec. 2142. Annual grant to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
    Sec. 2143. Authorization of appropriations.
    Sec. 2144. Forensic and investigative support of missing and exploited children.
    Sec. 2145. Creation of a Cyber-Tipline.
    Sec. 2146. Service provider reporting of child pornography and related information.
    Sec. 2147. Contents disclosure of stored communications.
    Part 4--National Child Protection and Volunteers for Children Improvement
    Sec. 2151. Short title.
    Sec. 2152. Definitions.
    Sec. 2153. Strengthening and enforcing the National Child Protection Act and the Volunteers for Children Act.
    Sec. 2154. Dissemination of information.
    Sec. 2155. Fees.
    Sec. 2156. Strengthening State fingerprint technology.
    Sec. 2157. Privacy protections.
    Sec. 2158. Authorization of appropriations.
    Part 5--Children's Confinement Conditions Improvement
    Sec. 2161. Findings.
    Sec. 2162. Purpose.
    Sec. 2163. Definition.
    Sec. 2164. Juvenile Safe Incarceration Grant Program.
    Sec. 2165. Rural State funding.
    Sec. 2166. GAO study.
    Sec. 2167. Family Unity Demonstration Project.
    Subtitle B--Senior's Safety
    Sec. 2201. Short title.
    Sec. 2202. Findings and purposes.
    Sec. 2203. Definitions.
    Part 1--Combating Crimes Against Seniors
    Sec. 2211. Enhanced sentencing penalties based on age of victim.
    Sec. 2212. Study and report on health care fraud sentences.
    Sec. 2213. Increased penalties for fraud resulting in serious injury or death.
    Sec. 2214. Safeguarding pension plans from fraud and theft.
    Sec. 2215. Additional civil penalties for defrauding pension plans.
    Sec. 2216. Punishing bribery and graft in connection with employee benefit plans.
    Part 2--Preventing Telemarketing Fraud
    Sec. 2221. Centralized complaint and consumer education service for victims of telemarketing fraud.
    Sec. 2222. Blocking of telemarketing scams.
    Part 3--Preventing Health Care Fraud
    Sec. 2231. Injunctive authority relating to false claims and illegal kickback schemes involving Federal health care programs.
    Sec. 2232. Authorized investigative demand procedures.
    Sec. 2233. Extending antifraud safeguards to the Federal Employee Health Benefits program.
    Sec. 2234. Grand jury disclosure.
    Sec. 2235. Increasing the effectiveness of civil investigative demands in false claims investigations.
    Part 4--Protecting Residents of Nursing Homes
    Sec. 2241. Nursing home resident protection.
    Part 5--Protecting the Rights of Elderly Crime Victims
    Sec. 2251. Use of forfeited funds to pay restitution to crime victims and regulatory agencies.
    Sec. 2252. Victim restitution.
    Sec. 2253. Bankruptcy proceedings not used to shield illegal gains from false claims.
    Sec. 2254. Forfeiture for retirement offenses.

TITLE III--DETERRING IDENTITY THEFT AND ASSISTING VICTIMS OF CRIME AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Subtitle A--Deterring Identity Theft
    Part 1--Identity Theft Victims Assistance
    Sec. 3111. Short title.
    Sec. 3112. Findings.
    Sec. 3113. Treatment of identity theft mitigation.
    Sec. 3114. Amendments to the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
    Sec. 3115. Coordinating committee study of coordination among Federal, State, and local authorities in enforcing identity theft laws.
    Part 2--Identity Theft Prevention
    Sec. 3121. Short title.
    Sec. 3122. Findings.
    Sec. 3123. Identity theft prevention.
    Sec. 3124. Truncation of credit card account numbers.
    Sec. 3125. Free annual credit report.
    Part 3--Social Security Number Misuse Prevention
    Sec. 3131. Short title.
    Sec. 3132. Findings.
    Sec. 3133. Prohibition of the display, sale, or purchase of social security numbers.
    Sec. 3134. Application of prohibition of the display, sale, or purchase of social security numbers to public records.
    Sec. 3135. Rulemaking authority of the Attorney General.
    Sec. 3136. Treatment of social security numbers on government documents.
    Sec. 3137. Limits on personal disclosure of a social security number for consumer transactions.
    Sec. 3138. Extension of civil monetary penalties for misuse of a social security number.
    Sec. 3139. Criminal penalties for misuse of a social security number.
    Sec. 3140. Civil actions and civil penalties.
    Sec. 3141. Federal injunctive authority.
    Subtitle B--Crime Victim Assistance
    Sec. 3201. Short title.
    Part 1--Victim Rights in the Federal System
    Sec. 3211. Right to consult concerning detention.
    Sec. 3212. Right to a speedy trial.
    Sec. 3213. Right to consult concerning plea.
    Sec. 3214. Enhanced participatory rights at trial.
    Sec. 3215. Enhanced participatory rights at sentencing.
    Sec. 3216. Right to notice concerning sentence adjustment.
    Sec. 3217. Right to notice concerning discharge from psychiatric facility.
    Sec. 3218. Right to notice concerning executive clemency.
    Sec. 3219. Procedures to promote compliance.
    Part 2--Victim Assistance Initiatives
    Sec. 3221. Pilot programs to enforce compliance with State crime victim's rights laws.
    Sec. 3222. Increased resources to develop state-of-the-art systems for notifying crime victims of important dates and developments.
    Sec. 3223. Restorative justice grants.
    Part 3--Amendments to Victims of Crime Act
    Sec. 3231. Formula for distributions from the Crime Victims Fund.
    Sec. 3232. Clarification regarding antiterrorism emergency reserve.
    Sec. 3233. Prohibition on diverting crime victims fund to offset increased spending.
    Subtitle C--Violence Against Women Act Enhancements
    Sec. 3301. Transitional housing assistance grants.
    Sec. 3302. Shelter services for battered women and children.

TITLE IV--SUPPORTING LAW ENFORCEMENT AND THE EFFECTIVE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE

Subtitle A--Support for Public Safety Officers and Prosecutors
    Part 1--Providing Reliable Officers, Technology, Education, Community Prosecutors, and Training in Our Neighborhoods
    Sec. 4101. Short title.
    Sec. 4102. Authorizations.
    Part 2--Hometown Heroes Survivors Benefits
    Sec. 4111. Short title.
    Sec. 4112. Fatal heart attack or stroke on duty presumed to be death in line of duty for purposes of public safety officer survivor benefits.
    Part 3--Federal Prosecutors Retirement Benefit Equity
    Sec. 4121. Short title.
    Sec. 4122. Inclusion of Federal prosecutors in the definition of a law enforcement officer.
    Sec. 4123. Provisions relating to incumbents.
    Sec. 4124. Department of Justice administrative actions.
    Subtitle B--Rural Law Enforcement Improvement and Training Grants
    Sec. 4201. Rural Law Enforcement Retention Grant Program.
    Sec. 4202. Rural Law Enforcement Technology Grant Program.
    Sec. 4203. Rural 9-1-1 service.
    Sec. 4204. Small town and rural law enforcement training program.
    Subtitle C--FBI Reform
    Sec. 4301. Short title.
    Part 1--Whistleblower Protection
    Sec. 4311. Increasing protections for FBI whistleblowers.
    Part 2--Fbi Security Career Program
    Sec. 4321. Security management policies.
    Sec. 4322. Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
    Sec. 4323. Director of Security.
    Sec. 4324. Security career program boards.
    Sec. 4325. Designation of security positions.
    Sec. 4326. Career development.
    Sec. 4327. General education, training, and experience requirements.
    Sec. 4328. Education and training programs.
    Sec. 4329. Office of Personnel Management approval.
    Part 3--FBI Counterintelligence Polygraph Program
    Sec. 4331. Definitions.
    Sec. 4332. Establishment of program.
    Sec. 4333. Regulations.
    Sec. 4334. Report on further enhancement of FBI personnel security program.
    Part 4--Reports
    Sec. 4341. Report on legal authority for FBI programs and activities.
    Part 5--Ending the Double Standard
    Sec. 4351. Allowing disciplinary suspensions of members of the Senior Executive Service for 14 days or less.
    Sec. 4352. Submitting Office of Professional Responsibility reports to congressional committees.
    Part 6--Enhancing Security at the Department of Justice
    Sec. 4361. Report on the protection of security and information at the Department of Justice.
    Sec. 4362. Authorization for increased resources to protect security and information.
    Sec. 4363. Authorization for increased resources to fulfill national security mission of the Department of Justice.
    Subtitle D--DNA Sexual Assault Justice Act
    Sec. 4401. Short title.
    Sec. 4402. Assessment of backlog in DNA analysis of samples.
    Sec. 4403. The Debbie Smith DNA Backlog Grant Program.
    Sec. 4404. Increased grants for analysis of DNA samples from convicted offenders and crime scenes.
    Sec. 4405. Authority of local governments to apply for and receive DNA Backlog Elimination Grants.
    Sec. 4406. Improving eligibility criteria for backlog grants.
    Sec. 4407. Quality assurance standards for collection and handling of DNA evidence.
    Sec. 4408. Sexual Assault Forensic Exam Program Grants.
    Sec. 4409. DNA Evidence Training Grants.
    Sec. 4410. Authorizing John Doe DNA indictments.
    Sec. 4411. Increased grants for Combined DNA Index System (CODIS).
    Sec. 4412. Increased grants for Federal Convicted Offender Program (FCOP).
    Sec. 4413. Privacy requirements for handling DNA evidence and DNA analyses.
    Subtitle E--Additional Improvements to the Justice System
    Sec. 4501. Providing remedies for retaliation against whistleblowers making congressional disclosures.
    Sec. 4502. Establishment of protective function privilege.
    Sec. 4503. Professional standards for government attorneys.

TITLE V--COMBATING DRUG AND GUN VIOLENCE

Subtitle A--Drug Treatment, Prevention, and Testing
    Part 1--Drug Treatment
    Sec. 5101. Funding for rural State and economically depressed communities.
    Sec. 5102. Funding for residential treatment centers for women and children.
    Sec. 5103. Drug treatment alternative to prison programs administered by State or local prosecutors.
    Sec. 5104. Substance abuse treatment in Federal prisons reauthorization.
    Sec. 5105. Drug treatment for juveniles.
    Part 2--Funding for Drug-free Community Programs
    Sec. 5111. Extension of Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Program.
    Sec. 5112. Say No to Drugs Community Centers.
    Sec. 5113. Drug education and prevention relating to youth gangs.
    Sec. 5114. Drug education and prevention program for runaway and homeless youth.
    Part 3--Zero Tolerance Drug Testing
    Sec. 5121. Grant authority.
    Sec. 5122. Administration.
    Sec. 5123. Applications.
    Sec. 5124. Federal share.
    Sec. 5125. Geographic distribution.
    Sec. 5126. Technical assistance, training, and evaluation.
    Sec. 5127. Authorization of appropriations.
    Sec. 5128. Permanent set-aside for research and evaluation.
    Part 4--Crack House Statute Amendments
    Sec. 5131. Offenses.
    Sec. 5132. Civil penalty and equitable relief for maintaining drug-involved premises.
    Sec. 5133. Declaratory and injunctive remedies.
    Sec. 5134. Sentencing Commission guidelines.
    Sec. 5135. Authorization of appropriations for a demand reduction coordinator.
    Sec. 5136. Authorization of appropriations for drug education.
    Part 5--Cracking Down on Methamphetamine in Rural Areas
    Sec. 5141. Methamphetamine treatment programs in rural areas.
    Sec. 5142. Methamphetamine prevention education.
    Sec. 5143. Methamphetamine cleanup.
    Subtitle B--Disarming Felons
    Part 1--Our Lady of Peace Act
    Sec. 5201. Short title.
    Sec. 5202. Findings.
    Sec. 5203. Enhancement of requirement that Federal departments and agencies provide relevant information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
    Sec. 5204. Requirements to obtain waiver.
    Sec. 5205. Implementation grants to States.
    Sec. 5206. Continuing evaluations.
    Sec. 5207. Grants to State courts for the improvement in automation and transmittal of disposition records
    Part 2--Ballistics, Law Assistance, and Safety Technology
    Sec. 5211. Short title.
    Sec. 5212. Purposes.
    Sec. 5213. Definition of ballistics.
    Sec. 5214. Test firing and automated storage of ballistics records.
    Sec. 5215. Privacy rights of law abiding citizens.
    Sec. 5216. Demonstration firearm crime reduction strategy.
    Part 3--Extension of Project Exile
    Sec. 5221. Authorization of funding for additional State and local gun prosecutors.
    Part 4--Expansion of the Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative
    Sec. 5231. Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative.
    Part 5--Gun Offenses
    Sec. 5241. Gun ban for dangerous juvenile offenders.
    Sec. 5242. Improving firearms safety.
    Sec. 5243. Juvenile handgun safety.
    Sec. 5244. Serious juvenile drug offenses as armed career criminal predicates.
    Sec. 5245. Increased penalty for transferring a firearm to a minor for use in crime of violence or drug trafficking crime.
    Sec. 5246. Increased penalty for firearms conspiracy.
    Part 6--Closing the Gun Show Loophole
    Sec. 5251. Findings.
    Sec. 5252. Extension of Brady background checks to gun shows.

TITLE VI--THE INNOCENCE PROTECTION ACT
    Sec. 6001. Short title.
    Subtitle A--Exonerating the Innocent Through DNA Testing
    Sec. 6101. DNA testing in Federal criminal justice system.
    Sec. 6102. DNA testing in State criminal justice systems.
    Sec. 6103. Prohibition pursuant to section 5 of the 14th Amendment.
    Sec. 6104. Grants to prosecutors for DNA testing programs.
    Subtitle B--Improving State Systems for Providing Competent Legal Services in Capital Cases
    Sec. 6201. Capital Representation System Improvement Grants.
    Sec. 6202. Enforcement suits.
    Sec. 6203. Grants to qualified capital defender organizations.
    Sec. 6204. Grants to train prosecutors, defense counsel, and State and local judges handling State capital cases.
    Subtitle C--Right to Review of the Death Penalty upon the Grant of Certiorari
    Sec. 6301. Protecting the rights of death row inmates to review of cases granted certiorari.
    Subtitle D--Compensation for the Wrongfully Convicted
    Sec. 6401. Increased compensation in Federal cases.
    Sec. 6402. Sense of Congress regarding compensation in State death penalty cases.
    Subtitle E--Student Loan Repayment for Public Attorneys
    Sec. 6501. Student loan repayment for public attorneys.

TITLE VII--STRENGTHENING THE FEDERAL CRIMINAL LAWS

Subtitle A--Anti-Atrocity Alien Deportation Act
    Sec. 7101. Short title.
    Sec. 7102. Inadmissibility and deportability of aliens who have committed acts of torture or extrajudicial killings abroad.
    Sec. 7103. Inadmissibility and deportability of foreign government officials who have committed particularly severe violations of religious freedom.
    Sec. 7104. Bar to good moral character for aliens who have committed acts of torture, extrajudicial killings, or severe violations of religious freedom.
    Sec. 7105. Establishment of the Office of Special Investigations.
    Sec. 7106. Report on implementation.
    Subtitle B--Deterring Cargo Theft
    Sec. 7201. Punishment of cargo theft.
    Sec. 7202. Reports to Congress on cargo theft.
    Sec. 7203. Establishment of advisory committee on cargo theft.
    Sec. 7204. Addition of attempted theft and counterfeiting offenses to eliminate gaps and inconsistencies in coverage.
    Sec. 7205. Clarification of scienter requirement for receiving property stolen from an Indian tribal organization.
    Sec. 7206. Larceny involving post office boxes and postal stamp vending machines.
    Sec. 7207. Expansion of Federal theft offenses to cover theft of vessels.
    Subtitle C--Additional Improvements and Corrections to the Federal Criminal Laws
    Sec. 7301. Enhanced penalties for cultural heritage crimes.
    Sec. 7302. Enhanced enforcement of laws affecting racketeer-influenced and corrupt organizations.
    Sec. 7303. Increased maximum corporate penalty for antitrust violations.
    Sec. 7304. Technical correction to ensure compliance of sentencing guidelines with provisions of all Federal statutes.
    Sec. 7305. Inclusion of assault crimes and unlicensed money transmitting businesses as racketeering activity.
    Sec. 7306. Inclusion of unlicensed money transmitting businesses and structuring currency transactions to evade reporting requirement as wiretap predicates.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

Here's a more brief summary:

1/7/2003--Introduced.

Justice Enhancement and Domestic Security Act of 2003 - Incorporates provisions entitled as follows: (1) the First Responders Partnership Grant Act of 2003 (authorizes grants to support public safety officers in efforts to protect homeland security and prevent and respond to acts of terrorism); (2) the Safe Borders Act of 2003 (authorizes appropriations for hiring additional Immigration and Naturalization Service personnel and for border security protection technology); (3) the Military Tribunal Authorization Act of 2003 (authorizes the President to establish tribunals for the trial of suspected terrorists and individuals who aid or abet terrorists); (4) the Anti-Terrorist Hoax and False Report Act of 2003; (5) the National AMBER Alert Network Act of 2003 (requires the Attorney General to assign an AMBER Alert Coordinator of the Department of Justice (DOJ) to act as a national coordinator of the AMBER Alert communications network); (6) the Prosecutorial Remedies and Tools Against the Exploitation of Children Today Act of 2003; (7) the Protecting Our Children Comes First Act of 2003 (reauthorizes and increases funding for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children); (8) the National Child Protection and Volunteers for Children Improvement Act of 2003; (9) the Seniors Safety Act of 2003 (includes provisions regarding crimes against seniors, health care and pension fraud, telemarketing fraud, violations of nursing home rules and regulations, and restitution of elderly crime victims); (10) the Identity Theft Victims Assistance Act of 2003; (11) the Identity Theft Prevention Act of 2003; (12) the Social Security Number Misuse Prevention Act of 2003; (13) the Crime Victims Assistance Act of 2003 (requires a responsible official to arrange reasonable protection of a victim from a suspected offender and sets forth consultation and participatory rights of a victim at detention hearings, trials, and sentencing proceedings); (14) the Providing Reliable Officers, Technology, Education, Community Prosecutors, and Training in Our Neighborhoods Act of 2003 (PROTECTION Act); (15) the Hometown Heroes Survivors Benefits Act of 2003; (16) the Federal Prosecutors Retirement Benefit Equity Act of 2003; (17) the Federal Bureau of Investigation Reform Act of 2003 (revises whistle blower protections); (18) the DNA Sexual Assault Justice Act of 2003 (provides for a recommended national protocol on collecting and processing DNA evidence at crime scenes); (19) the Say No to Drugs Community Centers Act of 2003; (20) the Our Lady of Peace Act of 2003 (revises requirements and provides grants for firearms eligibility determination information and technology); (21) the Ballistics, Law Assistance, and Safety Technology Act of 2003 (BLAST Act) (sets forth firearms ballistics testing and record keeping requirements); (22) the Innocence Protection Act of 2003 (sets forth procedures governing DNA testing of a person convicted of a Federal crime and provides grants for legal representation provided to indigent defendants in State capital cases); and (23) the Anti-Atrocity Alien Deportation Act of 2003 (provides for the inadmissibility and deportability of aliens who have committed acts of torture or extrajudicial killings abroad).

Provides for establishment of: (1) a Rural Policing Institute; (2) a protective function privilege with respect to testimony by Secret Service personnel; (3) the Office of Special Investigations within DOJ to investigate and take legal action to denaturalize certain aliens; and (4) the Advisory Committee on Cargo Theft..

Provides for grants for: (1) treatment facilities in rural States and economically depressed communities, residential treatment centers for drug-addicted women with minor children, and residential and outpatient substance abuse treatment programs for juveniles; (2) drug treatment alternative to prison programs; and (3) community-based justice programs for the prosecution of firearm-related crimes (Project Exile).

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

Again...what do you object to in this bill?

Could you post the specific language you don't like?

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

I am not the one who had been attacking the DOJ or Bush over this for the last year. Don't even try and turn this on me. Are you all this wishy washy, afraid to take a stand and for once be counted? Actually define yourself and your values and stick to them?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

Turn it on you? I'm simply asking you to clarify your position.

You said before "Who has really read the Patriot Act 2?"

Why have you called S.22 "Patriot Act 2"? What parts of it make it like the PATRIOT ACT? Why is S.22 an act I should object to? You haven't explained that yet.

It's hard to be have any stand when the issue has not been defined. What do you want me to "take a stand and for once be counted" about?

How about this...you post one section of the bill you think is pertinent and we'll discuss it.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

i admit spunk i have no idea what the fuck you are saying on this thread other than the idea of this CIA leak matter being no big deal.

Im still perpelexed as to where the Patriot Act Part deux came into play.

And Im not sure what the hell you mean by invoking the cheesy cliche of "stand up and be counted"

seriously....are you on the purple sauce again?

what the fuck are you talking about?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

I guess I could stand up and be counted as one of the people who would like to know what you are getting at.

plus of course there is the constant thing of when you are contradicted, that you completely ignore it and go off on some other rant.

Still waiting for that MTV transcript...

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

I'd get into this, but spunks doing a good enough job descrediting his 'opinions'
    himself.

What bothers me about the CIA leak story is that the news is saying this is the biggest scandal bush should worry about. not true. Theres been so many that have been more serious or have been ignored. Like Clinton, Bush has a sex scandal, but that has been ignored. Enron, election fraud, no WMDs, these are all much bigger deals... not that leaking CIA info isnt a big deal

I'm already seeing 'impeachment' articles... ???

If this is what actually dismantles Bush, we'll I'll take it. But its fucking bizarre. Kinda like how sex with an intern is impeachable, but apparently not money laundering and drug running?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:28 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

Because, I want you to understand that these two items are linked. They are both smoke screens to get the public worked up, but behind the smoke is NOTHING.
    Do a search on Senate Sesion 108, Bill 22.

Wilson is a retired diplomat, who is married to a CIA Analyst. Cheney asked the CIA to validate or disprove the Niger Yellow Cake claim the Brits were making. He asked Tenet to take care of it.
    The CIA then selected a retired Diplomat to go, and this retired diplomat was married to a CIA analyst. So, the CIA asked Wilson's wife to ask Wilson to go.
    At that point the CIA committed a major blunder; it asked a very minor former ambassador named Joseph Wilson IV to go to Niger to investigate. Mr. Wilson was an outspoken opponent of our invasion of Iraq.
    Mr. Wilson's "investigation" is a classic case of a man whose mind had been made up using any opportunity to refute the justifications for our ever going to war.
    By his own admission he first consulted with our ambassador to Niger, who felt "she had already debunked" the report of Niger's attempted sale. Mr. Wilson then spent eight days "drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people." His conclusion: "It did not take long to conclude it was highly doubtful that any such transaction had ever taken place."

Because Mr. Wilson, by his own admission, never wrote a report, we only have his self-serving op-ed article in the New York Times to go by. He also noted that "Niger formally denied the charges." He said there "should be" documents reporting on his unwritten briefings and that there should be a written summary of his views to the vice president ("which may have been delivered orally"), but that he has never seen any of these reports.

If we are to rely on this kind of sloppy tea-drinking "investigation" from a CIA-chosen investigator--a retired ambassador with a less than stellar record--then I would say that the CIA deserves some of the criticism it normally receives.

"Neo-conservatives and religious conservatives have hijacked this administration, and I consider myself on a personal mission to destroy both." Joseph Wilson

You want to know MY personal opinion?

Tenet should be "frog walked" out of the CIA. He should have been shit canned 9/12/01

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

"Wilson is a retired diplomat, who is married to a CIA Analyst"

lie created by Novak. the word 'analyst' is being used to try to downgrade the seriousness...

Spunk, dont you know Novak has been in trouble with white house links before? Do you actually think Novak has any credibility, considering he is paid to read from talking points? he's not a real political analyst. Fuck, even Chomsky's less biased than Novak.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

This not an alleged abuse. This is a confirmed abuse. I worked with this woman. She started training with me. She has been under cover for three decades. She is not as Bob Novak suggested a "CIA analyst." Given that, i was a CIA analyst for 4 years. I was under cover. I could not divulge to my family outside of my wife that I worked for the CIA unti I left the Intelligence Agency on Sept. 30, 1989. At that point I could admit it. The fact that she was under cover for three decades and that has been divulged is outrageous. She was put undercover for certain reasons. One, she works in an area where people she works with overseas could be compromised...
    For these journalists to argue that this is no big deal... and if I hear another Republican operative suggesting that, well, this was just an analyst. Fine. Let them go undercover. Let's put them go overseas. Let's out them and see how they like it...

I say this as a registered Republican. I am on record giving contributions to the George Bush campaign. This is not about partisan politics. This is about a betrayal, a political smear, of an individual who had no relevance to the story. Publishing her name in that story added nothing to it because the entire intent was, correctly as Amb. Wilson noted, to intimidate, to suggest taht there was some impropriety that somehow his wife was in a decision-making position to influence his ability to go over and savage a stupid policy, an erroneous policy, and frankly what was a false policy of suggesting that there was nuclear material in Iraq that required this war. This was about a political attack. To pretend it was something else, to get into this parsing of words.

I tell you, it sickens me to be a Republican to see this.

-Larry Johnson, a former counter-terrorism official at the CIA and the State Department

By patrick on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

I can think of a few others that should have been "frog-walked" (?) out of Washington on 9/12/01.

Also spunk, Mr. Wilson's credibility isnt really the issue. If youa re going to rationalize the illegal leaking of a CIA agent's name in the press to such then I'll ask you to pass the purple juice.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

d00d, Rowlf, I dun already cut 'n' pasted that. :)

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

If Wilson was so unreliable then why did Novak have to punish him by blowing his wife's cover?

By Nate on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 09:40 pm:

you guys are ridiculous. none of you could possibly know what you're talking about.

it's all speculation and bullshit.

and it has the front-page newsworthiness of a lewinsky blowjob.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 10:14 pm:

it was not the blowjob, it was the LIE, and the wagging finger in front of millions of Americans.

Rowlf, the peice you posted, the lady is only 40.
    He worked with her since she was 10??????

Come on, think.

Oh,and don't think the media is aimed at attacking conservative politicians, tomorrow you Rush haters are going to have a feast of Bull Shit

By spunky on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

This is an attack on Rove. They (dems) want Bush to fire Karl Rove. If they can take down Mr. Rove, the lead planner for Mr. Bush's re-election campaign, they will have knocked the props out of his Presidency.

The political goals must be paramount here because the substance of the story is so flimsy. The law against revealing the names of covert CIA agents was passed in 1982 as a reaction against leaks by Philip Agee and other hard-left types whose goal was to undermine CIA operations around the world.

When an intelligence "operative" essentially claims that a U.S. President sent American soldiers off to die for a lie, certainly that operative's own motives and history ought to be on the table. In any event, Mrs. Wilson was not an agent in the field but is ensconced at Langley headquarters. It remains far from clear that any law was violated.

The real intelligence scandal is how an open opponent of the U.S. war on terror such as Mr. Wilson was allowed to become one of that policy's investigators. That faulty CIA decision echoes what has obviously been a long-running attempt by anonymous "intelligence sources" quoted in the media to undermine the Bush policy toward Iraq. Bush's policies of prevention and pursuing state sponsors of terror overturned more than 30 years of CIA anti-terror tactics, and some of the bureaucrats are hoping to defeat him in 2004.
    As recently as Monday, the New York Times hung its lead story around a leak that the Pentagon had somehow not got its money's worth from the $1 million it had spent mining some of Ahmed Chalabi's intelligence tips. I'd love to see a declassified bang-for-the-buck analysis of the tens of millions the CIA has spent paying sources who claimed to have Saddam Hussein in their sights. If CIA Director George Tenet can't control his bureaucracy, then President Bush should find a director who can.

Which brings me back to the politics. The Democratic Presidential candidates are naturally all over this non-story, calling for a "special counsel" and Congressional probe. They can suddenly posture as great defenders of the CIA and covert operations, though some of them spent the decades before 911 assailing both. And if they can't get Bush to give up Rove, perhaps they can keep the story going through next November.
    The Democrats buried the independent counsel statute during the Clinton years. "Leak" investigations are notoriously fruitless in any case and typically a waste of DOJ resources. It's very amusing to see the media whose lifeblood is leaks feigning outrage. I hope Bush and Republicans on the Hill understand that if they throw Rove over the side, the blood in the water will really be theirs.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:05 pm:

You know what's great about you Spunky?

Every time I'm feeling down you bring up politics again and I start laughing.

Thanks.

By eri on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:16 pm:

Oh, damn........

That's fucking funny.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 12:47 am:

spunk, the reason why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the blowjob, it was the lie, is because the front page headlines were about the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to lie to the people. it is an important part of government.

you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all you talk about is speculation. so, all in all it's all bullshit.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 12:47 am:

spunk, the reason why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the blowjob, it was the lie, is because the front page headlines were about the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to lie to the people. it is an important part of government.

you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all you talk about is speculation. so, all in all it's all bullshit.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:14 am:

spunk, the reason why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the anal sex blowjob, it was the lie, is because the front anal sex page headlines were about the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to anal sex lie to the people. it is an important part of government.

you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all you talk anal sex about is speculation. so, all in anal sex all it's all bullshit.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:16 am:

spunk, the reason why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the anal sex blowjob, it was the lie, is because the front anal sex page headlines were about anal sex the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to anal sex anal sex lie to the people. it is an important part of government.

you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all anal sex you talk anal sex about is speculation. so, all in anal anal sex sex all it's all bullshit.

spunk, the reason why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the anal sex blowjob, it was the lie, is because anal sex the front anal sex page headlines were about anal anal sex sex the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to anal sex anal sex lie to the people. it is an important part of anal sex government.

you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all anal sex you talk anal sex about anal sex is speculation. so, all in anal anal sex sex all it's all bullshit.

spunk, the reason anal sex why you have to keep repeating that it wasn't the anal sex blowjob, it anal sex was the lie, is anal sex because anal sex the anal sex front anal sex page headlines were about anal anal sex sex the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to anal anal sex sex anal sex lie to the people. it is anal sex an important part of anal sex government. anal sex

anal sex
    you can't trust anyone. so, all your information is suspect. so, all anal sex you talk anal sex about anal sex is speculation. so, all in anal anal sex sex all it's all bullshit.

By Nate anal sex on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:18 am:

spunk, the reason anal sex why you have to keep repeating anal sex that it wasn't the anal sex blowjob, it anal sex anal sex was the lie, is anal sex because anal sex the anal sex front anal sex page headlines were about anal anal sex sex the blowjob, not the lie.

politicians have to anal anal sex anal sex sex anal sex lie to the people. it anal sex is anal sex an important part of anal sex government. anal sex

anal anal sex sex anal sex anal sex
    you can't trust anyone. so, anal sex all your information is anal sex anal sex suspectanal sex . so, all anal sex you talk anal sex anal sex about anal sex is speculation. so, all in anal anal sex sex anal sex all it's all anal sex bullshit.

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 08:34 am:

are you trying to say something, Nate?

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 08:35 am:

are you trying to anal fuck something, Nate?

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 09:01 am:

i don't try to anal fuck anything, pokey.

i am god. not your god, not a god. god.

if there is a woman out there fit to tremble my balls when my cock explodes, i have yet to meet her.

god.

your fuck anal.

hunt anal ox.

jesus pucky.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 09:38 am:

"Oh,and don't think the media is aimed at attacking conservative politicians, tomorrow you Rush haters are going to have a feast of Bull Shit"

actually, today this Rush hater is having a glorious day, as that deaf pig asshole had to leave his new job over his big asshole mouth.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=world&cat=media_watch

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:12 am:

You're a good lap dog, Rowlf.
    Can they get you to drool on command as well?

By Dougie on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:38 am:

Yeah, what was that fuckhead doing on a sports show anyways? If you want to use a "news guy" on a sports show, at least get somebody who knows whereof they speak, like a George Will on baseball.

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 10:48 am:

oh, ha ha!! "lap dog" - I get it!! see, "rowlf" was the name of the piano playing dog on the Muppet Show, and..oh man!! Excuse me a moment. That was just too much.

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

"It remains far from clear that any law was violated."

you're 20/20 on Clinton lying about fucking an intern.

But your vision goes to shit when it comes to anyone undermining your team.

dougie, those assholes at ABC put Dennis Miller on. Clearly the same nimwits (ABC/Disney/ESPN all the same) werent thinking anymore or less with Rush. They shouldn't fire Rush. He's just being his usual dumbass self. keep him. he'll sink his own ship. fire the entire staff that hired him.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Already sunk. He resigned. What a pussy.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

"The real intelligence scandal is how an open opponent of the U.S. war on terror such as Mr. Wilson was allowed to become one of that policy's investigators."

Oh, so spunk, it would be better if an open proponent of Bush's policies do the investigation? Would they be impartial? If so why couldn't an open opponent be impartial?

Why am I asking you questions? You can't even name one small section of Senate bill 22 to discuss. And, you can't even post your own thoughts without cutting and pasting it from the Wall Street Journal opinion page. (Search for "The real intelligence scandal")

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

I know you're starting on the cut 'n' paste, spunk, when your sentences become grammatically correct and the spelling gets good. Try throwing in some misspellings and rephrasing of the text. That way you may actually fool someone.

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

S 22 is also known as:
    SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
    Justice Enhancement and Domestic Security Act of 2003
    Anti-Atrocity Alien Deportation Act of 2003
    Anti Terrorist Hoax and False Report Act of 2003
    Ballistics, Law Assistance, and Safety Technology Act of 2003
    BLAST Act
    Crime Victims Assistance Act of 2003
    DNA Sexual Assault Justice Act of 2003
    Federal Bureau of Investigation Reform Act of 2003
    Federal Prosecutors Retirement Benefit Equity Act of 2003
    First Responders Partnership Grant Act of 2003
    Hometown Heroes Survivors Benefits Act of 2003
    Identity Theft Prevention Act of 2003
    Identity Theft Victims Assistance Act of 2003
    Innocence Protection Act of 2003
    Military Tribunal Authorization Act of 2003
    National AMBER Alert Network Act of 2003
    National Child Protection and Volunteers for Children Improvement Act of 2003
    Our Lady of Peace Act of 2003
    Prosecutorial Remedies and Tools Against the Exploitation of Children Today Act of 2003
    PROTECT Act
    Protecting Our Children Comes First Act of 2003
    Providing Reliable Officers, Technology, Education, Community Prosecutors and Training in Our Neighborhoods Act of 2003
    Safe Borders Act of 2003
    Say No to Drugs Community Centers Act of 2003
    Seniors Safety Act of 2003
    Social Security Number Misuse Prevention Act of 2003

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

And...any thoughts?

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

Um, spunky, you do realize that while similar in many respects, S.22 is NOT the same thing as Patriot Act II, right? Do a google on "S 22" "Patriot Act II" and you'll find articles explaining the difference. one will also see that S.22 is a lot longer than the leaked Patriot Act II but contains several riders that are similar to a lot of what is proposed by PA2. Pretty scary stuff. Too bad we don't have a liberal media to be raising hell about this stuff and keeping it on the front page...wait, the new Joe Millionaire! oh, FOREIGN ladies, that's the twist, ok.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

And...on the thread topic...there's now an FBI team investigating the leak.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

Got any links on an S.22 vs PA2 analysis, sem?

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

Get comfy sem....

THOSE EVIL CONSERVATIVES
    AND THEIR PATRIOT ACT 2?

By: R.A. Hawkins

"The Constitution is a Radical Document...It is the job of Government to rein in people's rights!" ---President Bill Clinton on MTV

"I'm a liberal Democrat. I started in Florida politics. I worked for George McGovern. I worked for Jimmy Carter. I've worked for Ted Kennedy, Mario Cuomo. ... But I have to tell you, at this point it's hard to believe that my party, the party that I've belonged to since my great, great grandfather..., has become no longer a party of principles, but has been hijacked by a confederacy of gangsters who need to take power by whatever means and whatever canards they can say." ---Pat Caddell, Democratic Party pollster, on "Hardball with Chris Mathews," MSNBC, November 27, 2000

I find it absolutely amazing these days when I read about ‘Bush’s’ Patriot Act 2. The story goes something like this: "In an attempt to further abridge the freedoms we enjoy in this nation, Patriot Act 2 has been introduced into the Senate as S. 22 and our rights are being further eroded by it. Blah blah yadda yadda." There is an as introduced version and a super secret leaked document that many are privy to so they can comment on it. Of course Bush and Ashcroft are being blamed for the whole thing. I have a completely different take on it. First off who created the entire discussion? Who else would do it and why is it that it looks exactly like the same kind of attempted usurpations of the Constitution we saw for eight years. Here is the list of those who introduced the bill in the first place, taken directly from the bill as introduced:

"Mr. Daschle (for himself, Mr. Leahy, Mr. Biden, Mr Kennedy, Mr. Schumer, Mr. Durbin, Mrs. Clinton, Mrs. Murray, Mr. Dayton, Mr. Corzine and Mr. Reed) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary."

Well that is an interesting array of freedom fighters isn’t it? I call them freedom fighters because they have been trying to trash freedom at any cost for years. We have Mrs. Klinton, who we know loves anything that can give her power, even a General at the moment. We have Kennedy, who tried to give our entire military budget to the IMF because they are so much more responsible than we are; never mind the fact that everything they touch miraculously implodes.

So what we have is the gun grabbers initiating the Patriot Act 2 through S. 22 on January 7, 2003 and suddenly it gets radically changed in secret and released to the public via certain unnamed sources?" Like I said what we find in that bill is exactly the same garbage we fought for eight years under “Chinas man in the White House’ Bill Clinton. This is a classic fifth column tactic. These same people are now starting to speak out against this bill and are claiming to be in favor of the document they have been using as a door mat for years (The Constitution). The liberals are still trying to reinvent themselves in our minds.

I do have to make a comment here about those who are claiming this was all created by Bush and company. You are either phony conservatives, not willing to do a little research, communists or synaptically challenged. Which is it? If you don’t know what I’m talking click on this link my web page where I have been kind enough to cut and paste the appropriate section out of the congressional record of January 9, 2003. the same date on the entire super secret document currently being smeared on Bush by a bunch of people who claim to be conservatives. If you have taken the time to check out what I have placed here for you, I ask you to now go back and review everything you have gotten from those same ‘CONservative’ sources and start questioning both it and yourself. That is if you can handle it.

To me it is obvious that this Patriot Act is yet another liberal game. They have created a monster and are now trying to gut it and smear the entrails on Bush. Why would they do that? So you won’t bother to look up what I have looked up for you. The list at the top is the list of names that started the legislation in the first place and who put what into it isn’t anything but hearsay or, more probably, out and out lies. It is interesting that the dates on the super secret document actually match up with the date of Daschle introducing it don’t you think? I’m inclined to blame the same old collection of Miscreants and Mistercreants that introduced the bill for this new attempt at attacking our rights.

This Hegelian hoopla is typical made to order left wing poopla!

" Published originally at EtherZone.com" : republication allowed with this notice and hyperlink intact."

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

i don't even know what the fuck anyone is talking about anymore and im wondering if that isnt the point.

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

"And...on the thread topic...there's now an FBI team investigating the leak."

More nothing about nothing.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Keep repeating that mantra, spunk. You sound like a Clinton lover.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

So, again spunk, in your own words...what parts of S.22 do you not like?

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

Why dont you answer that question, tiggy?
    Where did I say I did not like it?
    Please tell me.

Problem is, I still, after all this crap, honestly, truely do not beleive Bush lied. There has been no proof, only the usual conspiracy whacko bull shit.

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

You used that fake quote again, you know.

By Heavens nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

Democrats have sex with animals!!!

By Commie nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

Republican's have sex with dead people!!!

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

Hey, finally an opinion of some sort out of the spunkster!

Sort of.

"Where did I say I did not like it?"

So, what exactly IS your opinion of S.22? How is it like the PATRIOT Act? Why did you bring it up in the first place? Was it to tell us that Democrats introduced it? If so, who cares unless you can tell us why S.22 is bad.

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

"Heavens Nate" - freakin hilarious!

Water Nate, next?

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

I have only seen bullet points.
    One thing that I find interesting, it appears, at first blush, to authorize military tribunals...

By Dougie on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:45 pm:

Kewl! Lord knows there aren't enough of those around.

By semillama on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

Top ten Bush lies:
    http://www.bushlies.com/topten.php

Of course, the guy is promoting his book, but most of his points are valid. So, yeah, Bush lies. He and his administration are adept at distorting the truth, which I don't think anybody can reasonably dispute.

Adn as far as what I think about S. 22, it's one more reason I think the practice of attaching riders to bills is crap.

By spunky on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

semillama, are you going to tell me there is actually a politician out there that NEVER lies.
    This guy that wrote that book is a complete ass.
    I found somewhere a list of everything every politicain said about Iraq since 1998.
    How many times they swore Iraq still had WMD, and Nukes, and was going to use them.
    It was very long, and went from Kerry to Albright.
    That is another reason I cannot respect anyone who has the audacity to accuse Bush of lying about Iraqi WMD.

By Lapis on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

Buddy Cianci.

Flips people off and does what he says.

Unfortunately he's only a mayor.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

"Rowlf, the peice you posted, the lady is only 40.
    He worked with her since she was 10?????? "

he said 'three decades'.

depending on how you look at that term, that could mean it was 1973, or it could mean it was as late as 1989.

more Limbaugh love:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/122839p-110349c.html

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

"semillama, are you going to tell me there is actually a politician out there that NEVER lies.
    This guy that wrote that book is a complete ass"

wow, does that mean you forgive Clinton?

By TBone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

I kinda liked how Hawkins sandwiched communists between lazy people and stupid people. It's cute. I think he meant "evil people".
    Beyond that, I'm staying out of this stupid, stupid thread.
    Except perhaps to serve as a distraction.
    Look! Over there!

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

i just found the most amazing video of john holmes tossing this dudes salad.

holy cow.

By wisper on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

where?

aaah!

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

"One thing that I find interesting, it appears, at first blush, to authorize military tribunals..."

I figured you'd say that, spunk, so I read that part of the bill. Most of it is about limiting the power of the tribunals, and setting a hard sunset date in 2006.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

"Problem is, I still, after all this crap, honestly, truely do not beleive Bush lied. There has been no proof, only the usual conspiracy whacko bull shit."

QUOTE FUN!

reading these sequentially, kids, and a hidden picture will appear!

"There's no question that Saddam Hussein had Al Qaeda ties."
    - Bush, two weeks ago

"You can't distinguish between Al Qaeda and Saddam."
    - Bush, November 2002

"We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the Sept. 11."
    - Bush, two weeks ago

within the administration:

"I think we ought to declare our containment policy a success. We have kept him contained; kept him in his box. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. He threatens not the United States."
    - Colin Powell, September 2001

"Saddam Hussein is bottled up."
    - Dick Cheney, September 16, 2001

"The threat comes from Iraq. America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a nuclear cloud."
    - Bush, October 2002

By on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:00 pm:

John Holmes for President!

By patrick on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

in a yahoo group wisper.

the creep factor in looking at any vintage gay porn as that you are most likely looking at a ghost.

all those old school porn dudes are dead.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:27 pm:

i'm noticing on the thread listing page there are listings for posts that don't exist

wassupwitdat?

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

rowlfy, baby...

"'he said 'three decades'.

depending on how you look at that term, that could mean it was 1973, or it could mean it was as late as 1989. "

nononono. don't go to the doublespeak man.

Main Entry: de·cade
    Pronunciation: 'de-"kAd, de-'kAd; esp sense 1b 'de-k&d
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French décade, from Late Latin decad-, decas, from Greek dekad-, dekas, from deka
    Date: 15th century
    1 : a group or set of 10: as a : a period of 10 years b : a division of the rosary that consists primarily of 10 Hail Marys
    2 : a ratio of 10 to 1 : ORDER OF MAGNITUDE

depending on on how you look at the term, it might have been 58 seconds with sister agnes (40 seconds if you don't count the our fathers.)

you can be deep in it, or you can sit back and laugh. you're all fucking ridiculous.

you're

all

fucking

god

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

Nate, i don't mean to imply that the 1989 example is FACT or TECHNICALLY ACCURATE. You are correct. No Clintonism defense from me.

What I'm saying is that there are those who would believe that if something SPANS three decades, then you can say it happened three decades ago. Like the Simpsons joke about Mickey Rooney's box office draw. it is entirely possible that the testimony is using this "definition", or that he is flat-out lying, or that he has remembered the amount of years incorrectly, but it otherwise telling the truth as he believes it to be.

By Nate on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

well, all i know is that if i had limbaugh's ATA on painkillers i'd be eating them like tic-tacs, too.

tic tac toe! timbuktu!

woooooo! hump god pot luck!

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 08:51 pm:

Interesting...seems Joe Wilson was a contributer to the Bush-Cheney campaign

Spunk, how many flaming liberals were contributers to the Bush-Cheney campaign?

Not many...

By dave. on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=dobbs

this is a pretty funny point by point commentary on a limbaugh commentary from 10/01. a metacommentary, if you will.

i've heard more lucidity in the ravings from incontinent, stumbling drunks than in the kaka limbaugh barfs up.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 09:00 pm:

Here is some extremely interesting reading.

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:02 am:

Well, he has the perfect excuse that he's on the pain killers.

Come to think of it, that reminds me of someone else who is prone to bizarre conservative rantings....

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:51 am:

"wow, does that mean you forgive Clinton?"

I really don't give a rip about his lying to us about the affair anymore.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:23 am:

Rush Limbaugh Was Right
    Donovan McNabb isn't a great quarterback, and the media do overrate him because he is black.
    By Allen Barra

In his notorious ESPN comments last Sunday night, Rush Limbaugh said he never thought the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was "that good of a quarterback."

If Limbaugh were a more astute analyst, he would have been even harsher and said, "Donovan McNabb is barely a mediocre quarterback." But other than that, Limbaugh pretty much spoke the truth. Limbaugh lost his job for saying in public what many football fans and analysts have been saying privately for the past couple of seasons.

Problem is, you don't dare speak the truth these days, becasue we have become a nation of over sensitive, whiney children, who can't handle a little criticism, and are always throwing a tantrum, complete with kicking and screaming "It's not fair!" or "You hurt my feelings" or "If I don't get my way, I'm telling!"

But that is MY opinion. You don't like it? Good for you.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:34 am:

"So far, no black quarterback has been able to dominate a league in which the majority of the players are black. To pretend that many of us didn't want McNabb to be the best quarterback in the NFL because he's black is absurd. To say that we shouldn't root for a quarterback to win because he's black is every bit as nonsensical as to say that we shouldn't have rooted for Jackie Robinson to succeed because he was black. (Please, I don't need to be reminded that McNabb's situation is not so difficult or important as Robinson's—I'm talking about a principle.)

Consequently, it is equally absurd to say that the sports media haven't overrated Donovan McNabb because he's black. I'm sorry to have to say it; he is the quarterback for a team I root for. Instead of calling him overrated, I wish I could be admiring his Super Bowl rings. But the truth is that I and a great many other sportswriters have chosen for the past few years to see McNabb as a better player than he has been because we want him to be.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right. He didn't say anything that he shouldn't have said, and in fact he said things that other commentators should have been saying for some time now. I should have said them myself. I mean, if they didn't hire Rush Limbaugh to say things like this, what they did they hire him for? To talk about the prevent defense? "

PS, Are you all not the ones who screamed at me about the freedom of speech?

You don't like Limbaugh. That's fair, you have that right. Turn the radio off. Create your own radio program to counter point his program. Make your own "I Hate Rush" t-shirt or bumper sticker. Write a column on the internet, but do not say he should be shut up. Do not say he does not have the right to say what he does.

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:49 am:

who ever said that?

You must have some weird sort of language filter in your head, where what someone actually says gets translated into what you wanted them to have said instead.

By TBone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:58 am:

Settle.
    First of all, having the (legal) right to say things has nothing to do with this. He's not being prosecuted.
    Second, the only person who's said anything about whether Rush should or shouldn't be fired was Patrick. He said Rush shouldn't be fired. So don't point your "freedom of speech" gun at us.
    I agree that he shouldn't be fired. It wasn't the smartest thing to say publicly in these times. Not the most tactful... But it didn't seem like a firing offence to me. Especially from him. You expect that sort of thing from him.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

I am settled.

What I find to be most irritating about this is this: in the leftist lingo, Limbaugh complimented the media; he said something nice about them. He said they support blacks. He said they want black quarterbacks to succeed, because they are black. For this Rush is labeled "racist".
    And then he wussed out and quit. He should have stuck to his guns, but I imagine this heat is more then ESPN is used to.
    You even have his fellow sportscasters upset because they did not challenge what he said, which reminds me a lot of "They Live", and ESPN LIED and said they had no idea he was going to make this statement, even though he said it word for word before in the show prep.

And freedom of speech is NOT a weapon, it's a tool.

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

spunk would you fucking pay attention for once?

would you fucking COMPREHEND what any of us are saying, just once.

guess what.

no one here, cares for your irritation for "leftist lingo". Most here, don't have much patience for "lingo" left or right.

Ok?

Do I have to come to SA and whoop this notion into your blabbering ass?

No one here called Rush a racist, to my recollection. Do you know why?

Because most of us don't give a flying fuck.

As you would say, its a non-issue.

Really! This non-conversation and tail chasing with you just gets fucking old. You spend so much effort having conversations that arent about talking WITH us, but AT us.

Is McNabb overrated? Yes. I think he is. Is he a fan favorite? YES! Do those really cute soup commercials with his mom make him endearing to fans and non-fans alike? Yes. Does that mean the media has propelled his popularity simply because he is black????? Thats fuckin absurd!

Derek Jeter is a fan favorite too. He does cute commercials too. I saw him drop or mis-throw several balls last night. Over rated?

Whatever. He's a fan favorite. The media will ride any pony like that as long as they can because he makes them money!

This whole idea that the media is acting in some sort of concert because of McNabb's race is idiotic. Rush, like you, need to lay off Tussin and pain killers, because its affecting his judgement.

McNabb is a fan favorite because when he came about, like Steve McNair or Dante Culpepper, they represented a new, bigger, stronger and more exciting breed of quarterback to watch. They ran more, shucked tacklers. Did they win games? Many times. He has a winning record with Philly. Thats enough!

Is that possible in a bleak, grainy, salty Rush limbaugh world? Is it entire possible that he's just a fucking fan favorite and he packs the stadium?

Jesus fucking christ!!!

Look at me, im fucking hysterical now!

And if you had any sense left spunk, you'd realize that people like Limbaugh do nothing but lather up the monkeys (such as yourself) with non-sense. He appeals to lower common denominators, shoots fish in a barrel.

Ooooooooo Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fuck man.

i really should have my coffee first.

By TBone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

I don't think it was about Rush complementing or insulting the media.
    I think it was about saying things that offend people on a commercially sponsored show. It doesn't help that he's said things that many viewed as racist in the past as well.
    A soldering iron is a tool too, until I stab someone in the face with it.

By TBone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

You sure you haven't had too much already, patrick?

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:13 pm:

I think that the Rush comment was too close to the oft-espoused racist idea from the 80s and 70s that blacks could not be good quarterbacks because they did not have the mental capability for it. I think he should have realized that before he said what he did, and he could have reworded what he said to get his point across without being controversial. He made his own bed on this one.

By dave. on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

see, i heard a completely different angle on it. something about black athletes are too valuable for their other skills and aren't wasted on the qb position, even though they might be able to throw as good as any white guy.

but who cares? football is retarded and gay.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:46 pm:

semi, that is my point. There was nothing wrong with what he said, but rather there is something wrong with the way we have been trained to listen and think.

He was talking about the media.
    The media was hyping this guy's ability and skill.

Let ME try to reword it:

"this guy is not what he is reported to be. He's an ok player, but the sports media is anxious to see a black player do well, so they make more out of this guy's record then his skill deserves. The guys who deserve the credit here is the defense."

Did you read the Slate article?

Oh, and Patrick, did you see what I said about tantrums?

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:46 pm:

you got that straight.

By Rowlf on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

I actually dont' care if Rush is right about the qb or not. Football sucks, I don't care, I just think its funny he lost his job because I take shameful joy in Rush fucking up. The end.

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

my comment was a reply to dave.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:03 pm:

i was wondering how long it was going to take you to put in that disclaimer......

By 8 on Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 01:39 am:

objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.

like the fuckin eh darking.

it's coming.

in other news, i bought incense today. i have a virus. i waiting too long to take a piss and my bladder feels like it has air in it.

you ever piss and then stop pissing and then force a bit more piss out and it burns like hell?

that didn't happen tonight. but it felt like i have air in my bladder.

i'm working through fixing the ID tags for 3000 mp3's.

my jesus is your jesus.

i made my first post to slashdot.

i enjoy pb&j. it's not just for children.

milk.

i think that the more bad shit you do, the easier it becomes.

like practice.

but, maybe not.

the unified conscious. is there such a thing? not consciousness, but conscience. yeah. the unified conscience. we all know the basics of what is bad and good, below that which we are told.

isn't that true? or can that be dissolved away through mindwarping and manson family tactics?

if it were true it would belie god.

belly god.

that was me. now i'm a skeleton.

my skull can open. you can look in.

it is like a collision.

kalidascope. and rain that drips up.

i'm going to have two monuments of time passing back to back. 7 months and then 30 days. one after the other.

life is beautiful. don't keep your day job.

By spunky on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 12:38 am:

what in the hell have you been on lately, boy?

By 8 on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 01:09 am:

life/sobriety/virus/insomnia

pleeze hammah don' hurt 'em

By spunky on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

Sobriety, is that like a long lost friend?
    :P

By LowerOiL on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 08:59 pm:

You rock Spunky

By Rowlfe on Saturday, July 2, 2005 - 02:42 am:

By Nate on Saturday, July 2, 2005 - 07:40 pm:

if Rove leaked Plame's identity, and he doesn't get slammed into prison for life or executed for it, as is appropriate for treasonous bastards, a coup has silently and bloodlessly occurred and the integrity of the Constitution of these United States of America has been fatally violated, such that, given the current state of affairs, the blood and oil thrust of our war machine, and the barely concealed sabre rattling of the largest military on earth, namely the Chinese, we are heading ever quicker towards the Apocalypse.

and I, for once, say let's go. bring it on you heathen fuckers. we'll see who laughs last, who laughs hardest, and who laughs through crunchy mouthfuls of your fire-roasted scrotums.

By dave. on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 12:43 am:

i sometimes wonder if maybe this administration seems so bad, so often, is simply because i'm paying such close attention. i mean, was clinton really as bad as his critics claim, but i just wasn't paying such close attention so i couldn't get too upset about it?

i know i haven't been engaging in any of the political stuff here like i used to, but i am just fucking consumed by this shit. i read blogs, listen to air america and thom hartmann, watch the sunday morning talk shows -- i'm afraid to take my eye of the ball.

these guys are so unbelievably bad. they're fucking ruining everything.

By Nate on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 01:15 am:

i tend to agree, which probably should mean something, since i'm more or less conservative at heart.

this is seriously bad.

By droopy on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 02:56 am:

if you guys start a movement, insurrection, revolution, overthrow, usurpation - i'm in.

i always mean to take part in the "populist agitation" here in d/fw, but i never get up early enough in the morning.

By dave. on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 03:46 am:

there's nothing conservative about the republicans. absolutely nothing.

i almost wish i lived in a "red state" so i could do some agitating. fuck, man. we're as un-republican as it gets here in western wa. especially here in olympia. there's nothing more to do here except maintain.

it's droopyland that needs some fixing.

droop to the rescue!

By dave. on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 03:51 am:

i hate that last post.

fuck you, post!

By Rowlfe on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

O'Donnell posted on Huffingtons site:

I revealed in yesterday's taping of the McLaughlin Group that Time magazine's emails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months but didn't want to say it at a time that would risk me getting dragged into the grand jury.

McLaughlin is seen in some markets on Friday night, so some websites have picked it up, including Drudge, but I don't expect it to have much impact because McLaughlin is not considered a news show and it will be pre-empted in the big markets on Sunday because of tennis.

Since I revealed the big scoop, I have had it reconfirmed by yet another highly authoritative source. Too many people know this. It should break wide open this week. I know Newsweek is working on an 'It's Rove!' story and will probably break it tomorrow.

anyways, I'm trying to think of situations where Rove spoke to Time but could still get off. And I found one where he'll probably get off scott free:

situation:
    Novak's source is from somewhere else. He calls Rove to simply confirm. Rove is like "oh you know?", assumes its already out there and mentions it to a few other people. In this situation he's simply spreading the leak rather than being the leak himself.

At least this is where I think it might be headed, now that Rove's lawyer is going with the "not knowingly leaked" wording rather than outright denial.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 04:16 pm:

By droopy on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 05:36 pm:

for some reason, i'm never able to follow links to north american news sites. but i caught mcl group this morning (it runs sunday mornings on pbs in droopyland).

i'm only a foot soldier in general dave's army.

By Rowlfe on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 01:18 am:

"Even though I'm a tranquil guy now at this stage of my life, I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors."
    -- George Herbert Walker Bush, 1999

By dave. on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 02:56 am:

heh heh. yeah, dad. we exposed a spy. heh heh. joe wilson can suck it! yeah, you can suckit too. heh heh. i'ma git some political capital. it is my style. heh heh. democrats are tp. tp for my bunghole. heh heh.

gwb is further proof that there truly is no god.

and human enlightenment is doomed. sorry, cleo. just . . . sorry.

By Antigone on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 11:29 am:

There is always hope.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 08:20 am:

I worry about the lack of compassion.

On another board, there was a lot of talk about the Live 8 concerts, but it was saddeningly cynical. Corrupt dictators and all that.

Most Americans I talked to about the tsunami seemed to be most feeling affronted. Annoyed. Not because of the senseless destruction but pissed that a UN official said the US wasn't doing enough. Hundreds of thousands dead and an insult is what matters.

By Karla on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

What's irritating about the tsunami aid is that its not getting to the victims, esp. in Sri Lanka, because of politics. I talked to a local prof. who went to Sri Lanka w/a small aid organization, Operation USA. She talked about how the Sri Lankan gov't. was sitting on millions of dollars of aid while people on the coast are still w/out water and basic shelter, esp. in the Tamil (minority) areas. She was doing therapy at an orphanage where kids were living under tarps with no water and the United Way shows up, dumps a load of sports equipment (!) on them and leaves. Fat lot of good that does. I've also talked to some exchange students from Thailand who said much the same thing about relief efforts in their country. Americans will donate their time and money (we here in Fla saw that firsthand during last summer's hurricanes) but I think many people are justifiably cynical about how it gets spent and distributed.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

i've been hanging around the bbc "have your say" boards and listening to the two sides of the live 8 thing - "why should i listen to a rich, white pop star?" and "don't oversimplify poverty!"

to me, true cynicism dictates that the only way you're going to get anything done is through pop culture and simplification. who are people more likely to give money to? - a pop star who says "people are hurting, write a check", or some blathering psuedo-intellectual who makes the problem sound insurmountable.

not long after the tsunami happened, other countries started running the numbers on america: they were too slow to respond, the don't give as much money in relation to population as, say, denmark. and then publishing articles with charts and headlines like "americans are stingy!"
    everybody started making the tragedy about themselves.

By V on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 07:04 pm:

droopy,fact is,v thinks not much of that aid gets through to the people,did for a fact read about some government guy in Sri Lanka that was filling his bathtub with drinking water from Scotland.

By eri on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 07:28 pm:

I get really sad when I see the cynicism surrounding things like the Live 8 concert. I do worry about the lack of compassion and humanism now a days. The more I learn the more I see people basing judgements on who deserves aid (and quite frankly who deserves death even) on superficial bullshit, and it scares me, the directions are minds are going in.....

For fuck sake, if you don't like what a charity concert stands for or who is performing or whatever, don't watch it, don't bitch about it. No one is forcing your hand to give money or watch it.

I am sure if I studied it more (where the aid was going) then I might feel more cynical about the whole thing myself, but my cynical views do NOT mean that those people don't need or deserve the aid.

By V on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 09:57 am:

But we still need air drops right to the places that need it.

By Karla on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 11:38 am:

I think a lot of people are feeling compassion fatigue, especially here in Fla. There are so many worthy causes but only so much money to go around. Who is more deserving: AIDS infected babies in Africa? tsunami victims in Southeast Asia? Sept. 11 survivors? Hurricane victims? It gets to be overwhelming. So to hear that the aid isn't going where it should (in the case of tsunami relief) because of politics and greed is maddening. People aren't helped by giving in blind faith. There has to be accountability. And who is anyone to judge how much another can afford to give?

By V on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 09:09 am:

Karla,what gets me is the way so much aid gets creamed off by African governments.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 06:46 pm:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 07:37 pm:

By dave. on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 09:57 pm:

By semillama on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 09:01 am:

"integrity as a journalist"???

that's rich.

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

so, novak is a tool and all that. i don't disagree, and, taking pretty much all of my cues from jon stewart these days, i largely despise bobby-no.

but this CNN thing is a little freaky. they were talking about katherine harris's senate run. carville was basically calling him a pussy, so he stood up and walked off.

everything i've read talks about the whole valerie plame thing. i don't get the connection to this event.

i mean, sure, ed henry mentioned the plame thing after novak had left. but, as a joke? it was a total non-sequitor.

or, not as a joke. as a way to keep it in the papers?

i need to drop the daily show and watch nothing but foxnews. wouldn't it be so much nicer to be afraid of the specter of terrorism rather than the evil brotherhood of media and government?

By Antigone on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 03:11 pm:

In the next segment the host was going to ask Novak about the Plame case. He also warned Novak before hand that he'd do that.

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 05:16 pm:

so the theory is that novak knew what was coming and found a reason to exit beforehand?

i guess i can see that. it is viable, but seems rather unlikely.

i mean, if he knew he was going to have to do something that was going to lower his integrity just to get out of answering questions about plame, why not just skip the gig?

or, even, tell ed that he wouldn't be talking about it?

i mean, if they had the discussion before hand, he must have given the thumbs up, you think?

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 05:20 pm:

i honestly have no argument one way or the other. this just seems to fail the "whiff test".

every media outlet that day connected it to plame.

if it is a loose theory, i would think you'd see less of it in the mainstream media. especially if it is a "liberal benefiting" theory.

then again, it is a "media benefiting" theory. considering novak is all but blackballed from anything that isn't owned by the reverand sun myong moon.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 07:08 pm:

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

"i guess i can see that. it is viable, but seems rather unlikely."

I just dont see what else it can be. Novak and Carville have said far worse things to each other...

Novak had just written a column, where he specifically stated his lawyers had advised him against it, where he's now making up some bogus claim that he got Plame's name from a book called "whos who in america". and theres apparently a big copy of the book on the newsdesk... what else could it be? it seems obvious to me he just got sick of it, and realized he'd dig himself a bigger hole and piss his lawyers off.

as for the stern walkoff, it could have been an excuse, it could have been CNN cueing him to leave to 'protect' one of their employees, except Novak's an idiot. who knows.

but i'm sure if the reason for leaving wasn't directly Plame related, the reason he got upset so quickly is indirectly Plame related. something as simple as stress?

By Nate. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

shit man, i wasn't serious about foxnews. and besides, it wouldn't be for engaging content. i would be for that mindnumbed sense that with daddy dub in charge, everything is OK.

my point about novak is, if he knew about the plame questions ahead of the time, why would he enter into it knowing he was going to walk off? why not just avoid the whole thing altogether?

and then, since it is obviously speculation as to why he walked off, why was it, in all these inverted pyramid news articles, headline and first-paragraph connected to plame (implying he walked off after being questioned about plame), and third or later paragraph (or not at all) revealed the content of the current conversation was harris and the plame connection was speculative?

it just seems spun against novak.

keep in mind, i think the guy should swing next to rove for acts of treason. the media just freaks me out more and more every day.

i need to abandon all hope. maybe put a period after my name.

By dave. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

J

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 04:33 pm:

"shit man, i wasn't serious about foxnews."

just looking for an excuse to post that link.

"my point about novak is, if he knew about the plame questions ahead of the time, why would he enter into it knowing he was going to walk off? why not just avoid the whole thing altogether?"

he's an idiot?

"speculative?"

without a proper explanation for his behaviour, speculation by the media is warranted, stating it as fact is not.

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 12:17 am:

Nate, nate, nate. Back to raising doubt about the obvious? You're not going to start questioning global warming again, are you?

By Nate on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 09:52 am:

tiggy, tiggy, tiggy. back to poking me with the "raising doubt about the obvious" pointy stick?

besides, it was just the left's general acceptance of the scientific basis for the human root of global
    warming as undeniable fact.

and the idea that anything we can do could reverse it.

By droopy on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 01:28 pm:

hey, "wmd's" were undeniable fact for the right. sometimes you gotta scare the populace shitless to get something done.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact