I made an elderly female very uncomfy

sorabji.com: Why did you do it?: I made an elderly female very uncomfy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, June 19, 1998 - 06:10 pm:
    I was at the Giant yesterday (local grocery chain) and was ready to pay for my haul. Naturally there were only 3 ailes open. I got behind this little old lady. Every time a black person walked by she would grab her purse from the shopping cart kiddie seat and hold it close to her breast. I observed this for quite sometime as the 3 people in front of us also had tons of purchases and I was in line a long time. At one point the last goes into her purse and pulls out a wad of moolah wrapped in what seemed like a ball of rubberbands. Many of the caucasian race walked by and she did not flinch yet when a black person passed by she about hadf a stroke. Well this black guy in baseball attire gets behind me in line with two bottles of Spring Water. I told him to go ahead of me, not just to be kind but to piss off the lady in front of me. She about shit herself when he began making idle chit chat, she pretended to laugh but was visably uncomfortable. She then allowed him to proceed ahead of her. She turned to me and said, "if he'd had ONE more thing he would of stayed behind me." This sort of behavior gets under my skin BADLY. When the fuck is everyone going to realize that we're all equal? I know I don't help this by differentiating between "black people" and "caucasians" but I needed to do it to make a point. Hope this is not too confusing.

By Pete on Sunday, June 21, 1998 - 10:29 am:
    Sounds like a generational thing since she was elderly (the P.C. term would be something like "Age Enhanced"). I doubt many younger women (or men) would be as paranoid around folks of different races....

although this reminds me of something that I just witnessed at the Giant 2-3 weeks ago....

a young guy, late teens or early 20's, was trying to cash a check that his mother had written...and he had her check cashing card. The cashier made him wait, called over the manager while she received approval for this transaction (meaning that they called the mother at her home), although the guy said he had done this many times before with no problems....

the guy took it well, but I would have been pissed.....if I was trying to do such a thing, i don't think the cashier would have bothered to get permission from the manager, you know what i mean? and btw....both cashier and customer were of the same race; you can draw your own conclusions...both cashier and manager apologized and the guy accepted....don't think i would have been so nice....arggghhhhh.

(sorry if this doesn't make much sense but i'm trying to catch a bus in 10 minutes....)

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Sunday, June 21, 1998 - 10:34 am:
    That has happened to me before Pete. But only at a Giant different then our usual location. I was not so gracious.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Sunday, June 21, 1998 - 10:35 am:
    Oh and you're probably right about the generational thing, Pete, but it still pisses me off.

By Oddball Odd on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 10:48 pm:
    I totally disagree with the way the old woman behaved. She is an idiot. But, we must ask our selves...is her perception of reality based completely on delusion? Does she have NO basis for reacting the way she did? Jesse Jackson himself has admitted to walking down the street and being releived when it was a white person and not a black person behind him.

We are all just reprocessed chimps.

By Wisper on Saturday, June 27, 1998 - 01:33 am:
    Jim,
    I love you, man.
    Brilliant!

By
BIG BAD JOHN on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 04:20 am:

Maybe she held her purse to her breast to hide her hard nipples!!

By Dr. Puke on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 04:45 pm:

ah--
    Here come the reprocessed chimps now!

By R.C. on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 10:27 pm:

Maybe you shd both find a better market to shop at...

But High 5 to you, Jim! And yeah, Odd -- Jesse did make that comment/but it was based in fact. Blacks are more likely to be victimized by our own folks when we're in our own 'hood. But Miz Whitelady certainly had nothing to fear in broad daylight while standing 5 ft. from the cashier in a supermarket! Puleeze. I know too many Brothers who've recounted similar tales of White women/ of all ages/reacting to them in that fashion. But I also think it's as much a gender thing as a racial thing. I mean, sure -- I've had store dicks follow me/& police cruisers trailing me when I was driving thru certain areas of L.I. at nite. But I honestly can't ever remember a White woman reacting as tho' she considered me a threat in a public place -- day or nite.

Yet a Harris poll earlier this year said that the 3 most popular people in America were:

1. Oprah
    2. Michael Jordan
    3. Colin Powell

(& I don't know a single Black person who has EVER been quizzed for a Harris poll -- or had a Neilsen box in their home.)

So, how do you figure THAT out? Even Cosby wasn't in the top 3. But I guess Miz Whitelady wdn't have been clutching her bag if Jordan was in line behind her. Rich Blackfolks (so long as they aren't rappers or athletes) are pretty much given Honorary White Person status by Whitesfolks these days. I guess that's progress...?

By Slacker on Monday, October 26, 1998 - 03:39 am:

so would that also suggest that poor blackfolks are given honorary east indian status?

By R.C. on Monday, October 26, 1998 - 11:26 pm:

Dunno. Any Indians in da house? (dot/not feather.)

By Salop on Sunday, November 29, 1998 - 11:22 pm:

this really has no point, but some relevance...
    this weekend was the "bayou classic" - football teams from hostorically black colleges competing. so naturally there were many people of color riding the streetcar. three white people: two women, one man entered the streetcar and had to stand for there was no room for them to sit. someone got up to let the oldest lady sit down, but because there was a black construction worker sitting there as well, she wouldn't take the empty seat. In this city, 60% of the population is black. I see no reason for us Caucasians to act as if we are not the minority. Not only did these people refuse to sit near someone of color, they also began to whisper amongst themselves and give the obviously exhausted man dirty looks, as if he should get up so that they could sit without being contaminated. People like that are the true "niggers" of this country.
    oh, and i apologize if i offended anyone by using the n word.

By YooHoo on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 10:55 pm:

When it was my last day at R.T.C Industries,
    I See Iqbal Khan so pissed off:

As Taoism:Iqbal pissed off, so flow with him.
    Thank to paul jehkin for his ideas.

As Buddism: If Iqbal happens, it isn't him,so
    he will happens to you next time.
    Thanks to robert mulcrone for his ideas.

As Zen: What is the sound of Iqbal being pissed off?
    Thanks to toni mulroney for her ideas.

As 7th Day Adventism: Iqbal pissed off only on Saturday.
    Thanks to peter kukrow.

As Catholicism: If Iqbal pissed off at you, you deserve it!
    Thanks to sister mary felicia.

As Nation of Islam: If Iqbal pissed off at you, don't take no shit from him!
    Thanks to antonio mcdonal.

As Jehovah's Witness: WHy Iqbal Pissed off at you? Let's us in and we'll tell you why!
    Thanks to Elder peter.

As Atheism: If Iqbal pissed off at you, don't believe in him.
    Thanks to dean brown.

As VooDoo: Iqbal will pissed off,if you stick a pin in him
    Thanks to reggie mangolo.

Washington: I cannot tell a lie, Iqbal pissed off.
    Thanks to t. jefferson.

Lincoln: Four score and seven years ago, Iqbal pissed off.
    Thanks to harry shanks.

Quayle: I doent knoo whye eickbal soo pizzed uff.
    Thanks to peter mcguff !

Clinton: I did heard Iqbal so pissed off and I haven't done any wrongdoing.
    Thanks to fred huber.

Bush: Read my lip:Iqbal so pissed off!
    Thanks to ben dren.

As James Tiberius Kirk: So boldly Iqbal so pissed off where no man could pissed off.
    Thanks to leon jackson.

Shirley MacClaine: Haven't I heard Iqbal so pissed off before!
    Thanks to jill peters.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact