Because everyone wants fast food

sorabji.com: Why did you do it?: Because everyone wants fast food
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

By eri on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

Let's just see how much "Americanism" we can shove down the Iraqi throats while we are at it.

Ugh.

By spunky on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

we were in Japan for 7 years and West Germany for 5, with a protection force in place for 10.
    It's going to be a long haul.
    The war just ended last week.
    Burger King seems to have some kind of deal with the US military. They are on everybase, both in the US and on foriegn soil.

By Rowlf on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

"I would prefer we got decent showers and toilets sorted out first," muttered one high-ranking officer.

By Rowlf on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

who else has deals? is the army Coke or Pepsi country?

I'd guess Pepsi with the red white and blue...

By spunky on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:18 pm:

No, sorry. Coke supplies the Army Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES).
    Burger King,
    Robin Hood Subs,
    nasty pizza (not pizza hut, but cannot remember the name)
    Frank's Franks
    are some of the primary vendors.
    I do not blame them for wanting showers and toilets first. they are going to need it after eating at the AAFES food court.

By Rowlf on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

thats weird that you have Pizza Hut then, because I think Pepsi owns them or something..

By spunky on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Pepsico owns some of them.
    Others are franchise.
    But I have never seen a Pizza Hut on a base, that does not mean that there is not any, I just have not seen any.

By Platypus on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 09:23 pm:

Coke really is the all american drink, ya know.

By Nate on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:32 pm:

pepsico used to own taco bell, pizza hut and .. ? someone else. burger king?

but they don't anymore.

this money minute brought to you by Henry Weinhardts and the letter FU.

By c on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:15 am:

and KFC.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:51 am:

Weinhardts?

HA!

actually Henry makes a convincing product.

really though...coke is all american. pepsi be some wannabe motherfuckers.

i've lived in Pepsi country (NC) and Coke country (Atlanta) ... yopu don't mix liquor with Pepsi...enough said.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:34 am:

yeah, KFC, not burger king.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:28 am:

coke is my favorite, but I think when they changed the can again, they changed the favor a little.
    Maybe it is in my head....

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 10:11 am:

Coke is paying for my education.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 10:58 am:

the war is over?

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

has been over for almost two weeks.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

well sarah....define war.

expect an afghanistan like situation to develop in iraq. soldiers will be terrorized with guerilla tactics, they will mow down innocents. maybe bomb a wedding or a funeral and the leaders we put in place will be too fucking scared to leave the capitol!

YAYYYYYYY LIBERATION!

By sarah on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

exactly. in fact, the war's just barely begun.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

The war to destroy anyone not conservative and/or christian has only just begun.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

Well, OK, not anyone. They'll need a few people to label as terrorists now and again.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

3 weeks.
    Jesus it took 3 weeks.
    Currently we are hunting down specific, pre-identified subjects.
    Less then 3 weeks of open bombing and open combat.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

open bombing, open combat and deliberate and decisive rolling over by the Iraqi forces.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

do you blame them?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:23 pm:

well no, but its not we heroically battled blood sweat and tears.

There was no Western Front, Normandy, or Battle of the Bulge or anything of the sort.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

Patrick,
    Most of the fighters our boys faced were from various terrorist groups.
    Remember?
    Most of the "regular Iraqi" army went home.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

I know this.

Hmmm.

"terrorist groups"

since im feeling particularly contentious today, why dont you explain to me the difference between the "terrorist groups" in Iraq that often used guerilla tactics against "our boys" AND GIRLS and the CIA/Special Forces in Afghanistan who grew beards, wore local garb and blended in with the local populus to fight their battles there.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:01 pm:

intelligence officers, attempting to stop such acts as 9/11.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

don't you think the various instances of errant US bombs falling on civilians is a motivating factor to use whatever method, such as CIA officers, to stop that from happening.

a US bomb in a civilian market square Baghdad is their 9/11.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

Really?
    A bomb?
    Think about that for a minute.
    Go ahead consider the fact that it appears that you just equated some kid in the US military who realeased that bomb from a plane to the 19 guys who hijacked 4 airplanes and crashed them into buildings killing over 3,000 with no warning.
    Remember we have been warning for 18 MONTHS.
    The last 5 weeks have not been a suprise to anyone.
    THE WORLD KNEW WE WERE COMING.

Please.
    Compare and contrast, then try again.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

there goes your limited American-centric perception again.

Regardless of where, who or why, but if a foreign entity blew up your house and family don't you think your reactions would be strikingly similar whether you were an Iraqi citizen or an American?

Im not speaking scope or magnitude, 3000 dead vs the 18 or so reportedly killed in a Baghdad market place. In fact im trimming it down to its core.

Hijacked plane, or cruise missle launched from hundreds of miles away. It doesnt matter. Thats not my point.

A foreign entity blew up your family period. Sometimes I tell myself there are no accidents in war. a bomb that fell on a civilian target rather than its military target is just that. Its not an accident, just a fact of war. So lets factor any "oopse, it was an accident" defenses.

So yes....im saying the errant bomb that blew up a Baghdad market place and the countless other instances where the US bombed civilians could very well be their very own 9/11, who are you to say there is any difference.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

Who are they to say the same thing?
    It all depends on your point of view I guess...

By J on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:15 pm:

Taco Bell,KFC,and Pizza Hut,stock symbol Yum.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 09:59 am:

What Patrick is trying to say, spunky, is that when someone you love is killed in a senseless act by an organized group or state, there is probably not a differing quantity of rage in context to the supposed causes or intents behind the act.

Unless you are arguing that people should be less angry when it's a US bomb that destroys your family.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 10:45 am:

i took Darryenne to Wendy's last night. it was the first time i've dined in a fast food restaurant in maybe over 10 years, not counting the milkshake i got a couple months ago at the jack in the box drive thru.

the chicken blt salad was really good. nothing was fried, and the veggies were fresh. i was shocked.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:23 am:

Sem, that is why I said it depends on your point of view.

Because to my point of view (from a memeber of the US Military) we gave warnings after warnings after warnings, urging the citizens to stay in their homes durring the bombings.

Where was the warning about 2 planes hitting WTC?

Did we stuff civilians in the bombs that hit the market place?

However, from the Iraqi Citizen's point of view, the end result is the same. They have lost family members.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:43 am:

"Where was the warning about 2 planes hitting WTC?"

Hart/Rudman

By semillama on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

we can warn them all we want, but when you drop bunker busters on a neighborhood, I don't see how much good it does to stay inside.

Especially since it's pretty uncertain any objective was met with that particular incident (second attempted bombing of Hussein). Actually, we should just give up trying to bomb specific individuals, since it only seems to take out innocents (a la Reagan's bombing of Libya).

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

spunk civilians have been bombed in their homes too in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the first Gulf War...i forget the name of the shelter, its a rather infamous incident...but we killed dozens, if not over a hundred innocent civilians, including women and children in a bunker. They were in bunker, a safe shelter hiding from US bombs, a shelter designed to hold civilians. It wasnt a military bunker. Kaboom. dead.

Like i said, you can't use the "ooopse we fucked up" defense. It doesnt work. Its a facet of war. Its inevitable. That bomb wouldnt have fallen if we hadnt invaded them to begin with. Thats the bottom line. Who gives a shit what our little phamplets say...how much regard would you give phamplets dropped on your hood by the Chinese written in bad english? You wouldn't... so your justification is a bit weak.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:35 pm:

I am not justifying anything.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

sure you are.

you are saying "did we pack that market with civilians?" "didn't we warn them?"

these are justifications of your position you dildo.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

Maybe they are justifications to you, but they certainly are not to me.
    Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:28 pm:

im not putting any words into your mouth. no one is.

trace. listen up.

this is a fine example of your problems with language that jack pointed a while back. jack wasnt being a smart ass, he was making some very valid points.

lets look at YOUR words.

"Because to my point of view (from a memeber of the US Military) we gave warnings after warnings after warnings, urging the citizens to stay in their homes durring the bombings. "

when you say "Because of my point of view..."

you expect a defense of one's argument to follow.

you did. you presented your bias, then justified your statements.

defense for argument = justification.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

That was an objection to relating 19 terrorists hijacking 4 planes filled with innocent civilians and driving them into buildings to the errant bomb that dropped in the city market.

Not a justification.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

again, your command of the language...i never related, compared or equated 19 terrorists who hijacked planes and crashed them to a handful of military geeks aboard a ship 500 miles away in the persian gulf bombing baghdad. I never really got that specific.

that, whether you realize it or not, is your automatic justification system at work.

did you understand what sem said:

"is that when someone you love is killed in a senseless act by an organized group or state, there is probably not a differing quantity of rage in context to the supposed causes or intents behind the act."

you play out the specifics because in its raw form, you are uncomfortable with the idea presented, that is what sem said. Only the specifics which you cite, which justify the raw action, allow you to accept it...at least Im led to believe.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

"Hijacked plane, or cruise missle launched from hundreds of miles away. It doesnt matter. Thats not my point."

That is not equating terrorist attacks to an errant bomb?

If I misunderstood that part of your statement, then ok.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:46 pm:

By the way, you accusing the US military of being a terrorist organization is not a new subject.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

i havent accused anyone of anything. I posed a question and you've fumbled it sixways from Sunday as usual.

What about this statement says to its a comparison?

"Hijacked plane, or cruise missle launched from hundreds of miles away. It doesnt matter. Thats not my point."

In fact, it PURPOSELY avoids making ANY comparison. The "it doesnt matter" and parts should clue you in to that.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

then i misunderstood.
    i appoligize.

I was not attempting to jusify anything.

By patrick on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

hey spunk why dont you read this account of the civilians being errantly bombed over the course of many years, over the no-fly zones and most recently.

if you were replace the names with John, Bob, Mary, location with Wall Street or Canal Street and the date 9/11....is there a difference?

By Nate on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

intent?

By patrick on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

how much does that really console though?

By Nate on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

console? what does that matter?

By patrick on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

not much more than intent

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact