Dolphin massacre turns sea blood red

sorabji.com: Why did you do it?: Dolphin massacre turns sea blood red
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Pissed Spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

Animal activists have released a video of Japanese fisherman hacking to death dolphins they had trapped at a small port.

An American anti-whaling group trying to stop the massacre took footage of the recent hunt that shows blood-filled coves and several dead dolphins being brought ashore in boats.

Sickening

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

Hippie.

What's the problem? I mean, I'm not militant about it, but I am opposed to animal suffering in all its forms especially if its avoidable. But I don't think it's any worse than a slaughter house.

And to be perfectly honest, I think the blood filled water actually looks kind of cool. I don't like seeing dead dolfins, but I don't like seeing dead pigeons either. I did not mind seeing that dead palmetto bug this morning in my hallway though.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

I think that is the first time in my life i have ever been called a hippie....

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

"blood filled water actually looks kind of cool"

of course, andy goldsworthy managed to get the same effect in a pond using ground up rock.

And don't go thinking that I am perfectly fine with the bloody massacre of dolfins.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

well, it was a joke. I just don't think I've ever seen you put up an animal rights type article. Unless you are calling the animal rights group sickening for trying to interfere with industry and the pursuit of profit.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

Hey, I understand the need for humans to survive.

Cows, chickens, and pigs are, in my own humble opinion, a gift from nature to sustain us as well as other carnivores. We use the hides from cattle for clothing, furniture, and crap like that. The hooves are turned into glue and dog food.
    We use almost all of the pig as well.
    And the chicken, well, we use a lot of the chicken.

I understand the need we had centuries ago for whales, but today we can synthasize most of the things we got from whales in the past.

When sustainment is not an issue, then I have a problem with the wholesale slaughter of animals.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

I thought that the cows bred for meat and the cows bred for leather were different.

I don't think that it's wrong to eat animals. I do think that it's wrong that they should suffer. I do wonder if our ability to synthesize materials is good for the environment, but I don't know enough about the particulars and I'm not arguing either way. I am just curious.

I don't believe that much of what developed coutries do with animals has anything to do with sustainment. It's about pleasure and profit, which I am not necessarily arguing against, but I don't buy the sustainment argument.

So, I don't see the point of prioritizing certain animals over others. That is, I still don't see how making dolphins suffer for food is worse than veal or polutry or adult beef.

On surviving Nugent there was a vegan who wouldn't eat the boar (was that what it was?) that they had killed and skinned and gutted that day. I'm not a vegetarian anyway, but I only eat fish and only because I love it. In any case, I would have eaten at least a little bit of that boar because it probably would have been the only time that I would have been able to really see where my meat was coming from and dang if Nuge didn't give those animals a good life.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

well, some of it is for sustainment, yes of course. But all of it?

By eri on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

This stuff just horrifies me.....maybe I am having an influence on Spunky :)

I even have issues with the ways animals reared for meat are treated prior to the slaughter. I was a vegetarian for many years because of my animal rights issues. I am not nearly as bad as I once was........but I still have a very difficult time trying to prepare meat, especially when it's all thawed out and I can feel it.....it still sicks me out, to think that this was recently a living being and now it is cold dead flesh on my cutting board.

I am just weird about this stuff. Always have been.......

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

I don't think that animals have rights, only that humans have responsibilities. I guess some legislation is required, but whatever. I could go off on a tangent, but I don't have time. I have seen some interesting stuff about applying political theories of rights and liberty to animals. Some of it is thoughtful, some of it sounds silly to me.

By Pecker on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

"i don't want to say I'm in agony, but AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

outstanding.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

You're a beutiful audience, except for you sir.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

Killing dolphins in such a manner is terrible, but what about the sharks killed for their fins and then thrown back into the water?

I didn't know you were so interested in environmentalism, Spunky.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

I'm not.

I mean, not really.

I dont want the earth ruined any more then any other parent would, or anyone who enjoys sunrises and sunsets and watching wild animals in their natural abode.

I think polution and litter are examples of poor stewardship.

And I think the wholesale slaughter of these dolphis, killing anything for a "trophy" is a horid act for which there is no excuse.

But I anot an enviromentalist.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

what about sport fisherman who make trophies of bass and marlins and such?

why is a dolphin exempt?

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

And I think the wholesale slaughter of these dolphis, killing anything for a "trophy"

Do you read any of the articles you post?

They eat them.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

Who cares if they eat them.

We don't go out and do things like this in a pasture when it is time to butcher the cows.

There is a clean, humane way of doing it or you loose your license to sell beef.
    There are not streams of blood running down the pasture, nor are they left barely alive either.

And no, I would not fish just for a trophy.
    I only keep what I eat.

You guys are great at this.

I take a position of any type, and immediately you seem to find the opposite side, regardless.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

"I think polution and litter are examples of poor stewardship."

see....i think when i ask for a jack and coke and they only give me one bottle and don't leave the can on my folding tray...THATS poor stewardship.

Those dinky cups to the brim with ice leave about a teaspoon of room for coke after you add the jack.

sorry.

i know im being a total tard but i just dont feel like being serious.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

"There is a clean, humane way of doing it or you loose your license to sell beef.
    There are not streams of blood running down the pasture, nor are they left barely alive either. "

Not if im shooting dear on my land? Shredding pork ass in my barn. Blowing fish with dynamite on my property.

the fun with you spunk is you're so full of holes its hard not to twist your tail.

its not our fault that at times your thoughts arent that well thought out leaving all kinds of inconsistancies, misunderstandings and hypocricies out for all to play with.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

you have your hypocracies too, patrick.

The biggest difference is this:

Those dolphins were not raised on a farm.
    They grew up in the wild, and are part of a family. A group or school. These "hunters" go into the wild (ocean) and commence a wholesale slaughter on wild creatures.

If it were a matter of survival, then I would eat something out in the wild. But on a day to day basis, I choose not too. I want my fish, my chicken, my pork and my beef raised on a farm, where the animals were not free.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

um yeah.

wait. so farm raised cows don't have families?????

so you like your meat oppressed?

jesuschrist you're getting so absurd.

(circus music)

By semillama on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

what's the difference? Suffering makes the meat more tender? Well, I guess that's the argument for veal, anyway.

I foster few illusions about the meat I eat. I know that the animals (unless they are free range) are probably kept in pretty bad living conditions and go to the slaughter with a minimal degree of any dignity.

As far as I figure, the most guilt-free meat you can eat is wild game. The animal gets to live a full free life in its natural habitat before providing another animal (me) with sustenance. And it's just more enjoyable when I share a meal with a person who went out and used his or her skill to kill, prepare and serve the main course. There is something in that which strikes a chord with me.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

"I take a position of any type, and immediately you seem to find the opposite side, regardless."

That's why you posted in the first place, isn't it?

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

no, i thought it was a tragic story about the dolphins, and I never expected you guys to actually say it was not.....

By semillama on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

Well, there you go again spunky. Nobody said it wasn't tragic. You just assumed that. But go back and read again very carefully and you'll see that no one says that it is not tragic.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

I think it's tragic that spunky assigns so many motives, emotions, and thoughts to other people without cause.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 09:55 pm:

Spunky, if you're really worried about the state of the oceans, eat fish but not shellfish. Actually, go to a fish farm and catch yer own there.

Most net fishing involves the scraping of the ocean floor and throwing undesirables back into the sea, mostly dead.

Which is worse, Spunky, the wholesale slaughter of wild animals or the wholesale slaughter of domesticated and poorly treated animals kept by humans?

If pollution and litter are examples of poor stewardship, who are the stewards? Ask yourself this every time you drive a car and throw anything away. Landfills are basically big littering grounds. Where does your garbage go? Also think about everything you use and consume. Who makes it? How is it made? What changes do these processes make to the environment?

Even a change in temperature is pollution.

How would you like it if people came into your home, trashed the place, backed up the plumbing, took your children away and then forced you and Eri to have many more children to be taken away one by one?

You're so used to this sanitized and certified bullshit system that if you see something real you attack it even though it's a similar practice (perhaps even less harmful) to those of your culture's survival.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact