Make something of my life before turning the big 30.

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: Make something of my life before turning the big 30.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 11:53 am:
    I have exactly one year and 12 days to do it. *sigh*

By PetRock on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 12:54 pm:
    What do you mean when you say "make something of my life"?

Is having money the measure of success?

A great job?

A brand new car?

Shouldn't being a nice guy, one who is kind and decent, yada yada yada, be enough?

Remember, life is NOT a test. There is no passing or failing grade.

(And why is 30 the magic number, hmmmmm? *G*)

By St. Christopher of the Caffeinated on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 01:15 pm:
    Jim, Don't put timestamps on your life. If you want to make something of yourself start today. And if you fail, start again. And if you fail again, start again. Past failures don't equal future failure. I've had fabulous careers that crashed and burned, but I managed to find something else that I liked better. Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was in her 60's. When I was 29, I did the exact same thing that you are doing now...Putting deadlines in my life. You know what I got for my troubles? A really lousy 29th year and a fucked up 30th birthday. Get busy making something of yourself every day, every second, but don't cement the idea in your head that if you aren't where you want to be when you are 30, that you are washed up. I completely reinvented my life after 30, and so can anyone else. The only limits that we have in this life are the ones that we impose on ourselves. Ask yourself some very specific questions, Jim. What do you want from your life? Write it down and make it your full time job to at least take one step in that direction EVERY DAY. Fuck procratination. This is your life! Seize it and squeeze every drop of juice out of it! GO! GO JIM! GO!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 01:23 pm:
    LOL...

LOL

I hear what you guys are saying, I DO.

I just wish I wasn't this huge flop. I mean how did I go from being gainfully employed less than a year ago with great benefits and good pay to this temp crap today?

Well I know the answer. Foolish pride. Ugh.

I did write the lyrics to 3 songs last week. Now if I only could come up with the melodies. And someone who can write music. Hmmmm?

By St. Christopher of the Caffeinated on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 01:38 pm:
    Thats the past big boy...
    There is no possible way you can be a flop if you decide that you aren't one. Stop wishing and start doing! We all have it in us to start fresh. Look back and learn from your mistakes, but don't live in the past. Live now! Do SOMETHING TODAY! START YOUR RENDEZVOUS WITH YOUR WONDERFUL DESTINY NOW!!!!! GO! GO JIM! GO!!!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 01:56 pm:
    Good thing I'm not a drinker. I'd be one sorry ass drunk. :)

I hear you Christopher. It's hard. But I will try.

:)

By PetRock on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 06:04 pm:
    Christopher would make one hell of an inspirational coach! Tony Robbins, anyone?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 07:24 pm:
    Ain't that the truth PetRock!!!

I appreciate it nontheless.

:)

By Vapor on Friday, April 10, 1998 - 02:30 am:
    Hey. . . I'm past forty and 'greatful' to not be divorced and living 10 years ahead of time with credit bills. I am free and single. . . . .footloose fancy-free! Count your blessings. You ARE blessed. "Blessed Be" [" No Guru, No Method, No Master" Van Morrison title.]

By Cthulu on Sunday, April 12, 1998 - 04:48 am:
    I am a year and 5 months away from 30 and I agree with Jim's concern, I think the big problem with me is, I realize that I am just going to end up another cog in the evolutionary machine. Destiny won't dump greatness in my lap.My life will consist of getting up every day, going to work and enjoying the small things that make me happy.

By Rolly on Thursday, April 16, 1998 - 04:27 am:
    Why should destiny give a shit? Your life is what you make it. 30,40 50, etc. Who cares! If you're content, Yay! you win the donut! If not, get off your ass and get happy! And be happy for yourself, not someone else's idea of "success"

By Scott a reinard on Sunday, April 19, 1998 - 10:52 am:
    Enjoy the living, natural part of where you live...check out the sky, cool vistas...LOVE the rain, LOVE the sun...LISTEN to the birds and REALLY SMILE...LOVE your friends and family...LOVE them...be a smiling idiot son-of-a-bitch...touch people, co-workers, friends, cool strangers...strike up conversations with ANYONE with a BIG-ASS SMILE... these things are contageous...smell the air where you live, air smells GREAT, especially after the rain...SMELL THE FUCKING AIR...BE like the fresh air after the rain. Treat EVERYONE you talk to like they were the most important person you EVER SPOKE TO!!! smile more...then smile some more!!!! Life is short, try to enjoy and pay attention to EVERY MOMENT of EVERYDAY!!! life is too short...Only be serious when it is absolutely necessary!!!! Other than those moments, NEVER BE SERIOUS!!!..... Read now and then...fill your head with music, it is the real door to human spirituality. Try to ignore bitter and hateful people...do not feel sorry for every tornado victim and starving child you see on TV, our emotions are not evolved enough to handle the emotional freight of the ENTIRE PLANET. Cry for your friends and family when they suffer, do not cry and anguish for images on a cathode ray tube.
    At this very moment MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE HAVING SEX...does this effect you? NO? Then why should the suffering of millions disturb you and make you sad?
    Have sex and REALLY ENJOY IT...so what if it is only with yourself...imagination is a GREAT, COOL THING...
    Finally, if you think that "HAVING IT ALL" is where it's at...think again. EXCESS material shit only makes you hungry for more material shit...
    A FABULOUS HOUSE!!!!! A GIANT POOL!!! LOBSTER 3 MEALS A DAY!!!! SOME FAST, EXPENSIVE CAR!!!!
    Nice if you can get it, I guess, but who needs it?

By Kelsey on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 03:07 am:
    scott, that touching people part creeps me out a little bit.

By Pete on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 06:22 am:
    Foreigners (esp. the French it seems) are notorious touchers whereas Americans need their personal space.

I used to work in a bookstore in a touristy part of DC and it was always the foreign tourists who would get up in my face. Talk too close. Put their hands on me.

It would make me so uncomfortable to have someone standing that close to me, I would start backing up until I had reached the wall. And they would never notice -- as I inched backwards, they would inch forwards. Aaaarrrrrghhhh!

By Idiot Boy on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 07:44 am:
    Kelsey,
    If you knew me, it wouldn't. I ain't creepy at all. Everybody loves me. (Maybe THAT should creep you out!)

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 08:59 am:
    Bookstore eh, Pete? Which one? I know what you mean about the touchy feely types. SCARY! Were these folks mostly women?

By Pete on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 01:11 pm:
    I remember them as being mostly men...Europeans in particular are very touchy-feely whereas Americans are more aloof. How would you feel if a stranger came up to you and put his hand on your shoulder? (Well, maybe not YOU Jim, but your average person anyway? *G*)

This bookstore was in Georgetown and is now the site of a Boston Market...*sigh*

When I was in college, we discussed this phenom. in one of my courses.

How 2 men were walking side by side, having a conversation. One was American, the other...I don't remember. Probably east European. And the American wanted to talk while walking but he noticed his companion prefered to jog ahead, turn and face him, and stop in order to chat. And then the American would start walking, and the companion would be forced to do his little dance again....and then the American realized that it was a difference in cultures...that the companion was more comfortable talking face 2 face while the American was more comfortable talking & walking.

When a high-rise is being built, they determine how many elevators will be needed based on a calculation of what we require in terms of personal space? 2.4 square feet, or some such number, per person...any less and we'd feel too uncomfortable...

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, April 21, 1998 - 04:55 pm:
    *smacks Pete for that statement about man's hand on my shoulder* Now if it was on my knee... LOL

What was the consensus in your class?

By Christopher on Wednesday, April 22, 1998 - 12:57 am:
    I had a weird experience today. I went into my local watering hole and some woman I never met came up to me and started trying to massage my shoulders. About 45 seconds into it, she leans over and asks me if I like to give or get head. I shrugged her hands off me and said that that was a little too familiar a thing to be asking , and she says that she was asking because she wanted to get more familiar. HA! In a gay bar no less!! Needless to say, I told her thanks but buzz off. Yeah. I hate strangers touching the goods unless I invite them. Sheesh!

By PetRock on Wednesday, April 22, 1998 - 06:18 am:
    In a gay bar Christopher? She must be blind or desperate...

(And let this be a warning to you Jim...get Christopher's permission BEFORE you grope him! You've been warned....)

By Blindswine on Wednesday, April 22, 1998 - 09:45 am:
    uhh...

christopher...

where did you say that bar was?

By Christopher on Wednesday, April 22, 1998 - 05:05 pm:
    Blindswine, You'd probably LOVE her. She was very good looking, long blonde hair and had a nice bod. It happened in a place called "Gingers" on Kearny street in downtown SF. But, I'll warn you, you're more likely to get the attention of boozy old guys than anything else. I just dig the place because its just a little seedy, and the clientele ranges from old ladies drinking their SS checks in the A.M, to suits in the late afternoon. I HATE going into a bar and feeling like a piece of meat; That is, unless I feel like tearing off a piece , myself.

By Kelsey on Wednesday, April 22, 1998 - 09:01 pm:
    close-talkers and pop-ins are two of my pet peeves. i'm sure you're swell, idiot boy. i just wish i got more massages with the people i'm actually comfortable with, and less from random creepies. some guy actually started hitting on me from a car the other day as i walked down the street holding my daughter's hand. the guy was so fucking clueless. shit like that really pisses me off. the woman hitting on you from a gay bar, now that's a little odd. maybe she was performing a social experiment for her thesis.

By Blindswine on Thursday, April 23, 1998 - 11:08 am:
    uh-huh... i get it...
    men who offer unsolicited advances to women are creeps,
    but women who do the same to men are merely in the pursuit of academia...

riiiiiiiight...

and christopher... not that i have anything against them, but generally speaking, blonde-haired/blue-eyed skeezers are not my type...

bah... who am i kidding...

i'm an equal-opportunity letch...

phew...

good thing i got that off my chest.

By Kelsey on Friday, April 24, 1998 - 10:19 pm:
    you got it right, blindswine. i never said the world was fair.

By Swine on Monday, May 10, 1999 - 05:51 pm:

good thing i found this thread again.

now i know i'll be needing to send dave a cattleprod, too.

By Sheila on Monday, May 10, 1999 - 08:02 pm:

You and your cattleprod fantasies. I doubt that you even know how to use one, being so entirely ignorant vis a vis rural matters. First the goats, now the cattle. Yet you insist we treat the swine with dignity. Did someone say not fair?

By Swine on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 01:24 pm:

you give me a cattleprod and i guarantee i'll figure out a way to shock the living shit out of you.

scout's honor.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

I noticed that my American friends will say "I love you" at the drop of a hat but *hugging* is banned. Weird.

It's like hugging an ironing board with them anyway.

And we're supposed to be the uptight ones.

By Swine on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 04:33 pm:

try to hug me and i guarantee i'll figure out a way to shock the living shit out of you.

scout's honor.

By Cyst on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 04:57 pm:

it freaks me out here in kiev to see guys kissing each other on the street.

not that I never saw that in the states, but there they weren't wearing suits.

By Agatha on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 09:07 pm:

how did this thread get re-started? i don't even remember writing those things.

By R.C. on Wednesday, May 12, 1999 - 01:53 am:

Who says Americans are scared to hug?

Women & girls do it everywhere. Ditto for the Brothers. (Altho' I never will understand where this business of calling each other 'dog' came from...) S'just uptight White males who are afraid to hug each other in public/except on a basketball court or football field. I seem to end up getting hugged by quite a few people I'd rather not press the flesh w/thankyouverymuch. But they're always oldsters -- friends of my parents -- so I figure 'tis more charitable to just endure it.

My brother & I never hug each other tho'. Not even when he comes down to visit. But we've always detested one another/even as kids. So no great loss there.

{{PJ -- sit down/pour yrself a shot}}. Now/tell me just what it is you want to be by the time you turn 30/so we can devise a plan. If you help me figure out this damn coronation ceremony/I'll make you an Duke.

But then you'll still have to figure out what to do w/the rest of yr life.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, May 12, 1999 - 09:47 pm:

Wow. What a difference a year makes. I forgot I had even started this thread last year.

I am now fully employed by the Government of the District of Columbia, have benefits, savings, and an ok salary. More importantly, I love my job and my coworkers. I actually look forward to work every day.

Is this the same BLAZZAY Jim that moaned last year? :-)

Oh, and I am already 30. ;-)

By R.C. on Thursday, May 13, 1999 - 12:47 am:

Congrats!

So, are you at least content w/where you are now in yr life? Or do I need to hire you a Chippendale's boytoy? ;)

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, May 13, 1999 - 08:04 am:

Ummmm.... Nah. Chippendale's men are TOO buff. Any other ideas?

*grin*

By Margret on Friday, May 14, 1999 - 02:30 pm:

I could troll the coffee bars for goodlooking wienies and road trip them all to DC, but you might have to argue over them with other friends who would take any carfull of cuties I brought as their god-given right.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, May 19, 1999 - 08:31 am:

Hey... that might work Maggie! Can I call you Maggie???

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact