get my goddamned ph.d.

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: get my goddamned ph.d.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Monday, April 26, 1999 - 10:52 pm:

y'know, when i went to college, i didn't know what i wanted to be when i grew up. then i took a political science course, and it was ok, and i thought -- well, shit, i can decide sometime but if i tell people i want to be a lawyer then they'll leave me the fuck alone. so i did that for a year, and then i took a political theory course, and i was hooked. departmental pet, golden child, enfante terrible, that was me. and i wanted to read and write and teach that shit, and i thought that was important to the whole world. then i went to grad. school where i got to read even better shit and write ok papers and teach again (i got to be a ta as an undergrad), but somewhere along the line i became very disillusioned. so i never got my ph.d. written. i think, barring $ screwups, i get to have an m.a. in may. yippee. but now i'm back to square one with the whole directionless life thing, and i'm bored as fuck because i'm not being oppressed by my failure to write the diss any more. what to do, what to do. nate, swine, you guys make cash...how do i parlay my skill with a bonmot and complete and utter lack of fear into a lucrative job? i don't wanna be a sekkitary anymore. r.c., if i find job for which the qualification is "smart, funny, badass" i'm calling you sister and we're gonna take over the fucking world.

By Swine on Monday, April 26, 1999 - 11:05 pm:

what the fuck is a bonmot?

that question should be a pretty good indication of how much help i'm gonna be in resolving your delimma.

by the way: when you folks take over the world, i want jamaica.

By Margret on Monday, April 26, 1999 - 11:25 pm:

Swine, if R.C. agrees, you may be king of Jamaica, but you must maintain an imperial palace for the Imperiatrixes should we decide to schlep by and sip fruity rum drinks amidst beauty.

By R.C. on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 04:50 pm:

Margaret -- I think I gave Swine dibs on Jamaica. I was leaning towards taking Cuba as the seat of my homeland/& another place on the opposite side of the globe/like Thailand or the Seychelles/as a vacation retreat/colony. And Jamaica's too small for Swine to split.

Wd you settle for Bermuda & Barbados? Okay, okay -- I'll throw in Haiti & the Dominican Republic too. (Or did Agatha have dibs on the D.R.?)

P.S. -- I had an interview today that lasted 2 hrs! And the guy only spent 20 min. talking abt 'the job' -- the rest was a really great rap abt education & the military (he's a Citadel grad) & Kosovo & living abroad (he spent 17 yrs. in Hong Kong). [Altho' my Mom always swears it's 'unprofessional' to let the interview spill over into unrealted areas. Says it means they've already decided they don't want you for the job/so they're just shooting the breeze to kill time. But fuck it -- he had some great stories!) I can't remember the last time I had such a great conversation w/a total stranger! And the salary is better than anything I've earned since moving here. They shd be making their decision early next week. So maybe R.C. will finally have some $$ to back up all her badass! ;)

And who wanted Australia? Was that gonna be Slacker's kingdom?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 05:05 pm:

all i know is, ya'll gonna get exactly what i give you.

By Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 05:26 pm:

Nate, go on with your bad self. You get what and when we tell you (puh-leeze). R.C., I'm reading about the Arctic, so right now I'd like dibbses on that, and maybe just a guaranteed schlep in someone else's territory...maybe the Galapagos? I will be guided by you in, though...I do like New zeland, so that would be ok. Just, y'know, let's sit down over a bourbon when the smoke from the coup clears and settle it. We could use a Risk board.

By Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 05:32 pm:

Nate, go on with your bad self. You get what and when we tell you (puh-leeze). R.C., I'm reading about the Arctic, so right now I'd like dibbses on that, and maybe just a guaranteed schlep in someone else's territory...maybe the Galapagos? I will be guided by you in, though...I do like New zeland, so that would be ok. Just, y'know, let's sit down over a bourbon when the smoke from the coup clears and settle it. We could use a Risk board.

By R.C. on Wednesday, April 28, 1999 - 01:49 am:

SO sorry Natorious -- but it's MY world! I have only recently decided to declare ownership & begin excercising my powers. However, I am a generous queen & willing to share. I am of a mind to bestow upon you a fiefdom to call yr own/providing you wd render Her Highness certain discreet favors whenever you shd happen to appear at Court... :)

Have your emmisary call my emmissary.

Also -- MY KINGDOM FOR SOME TECH SUPPORT! I can't very well rule the world when the speakers on my computer have conked out! The CD player still runs/& I can hear music when I plug in the headphones. But all of a sudden/I don't get any of my AOL wavs or the Microsoft bells or anything. And the speaker connection is still plugged into my tower -- I checked. A bag of dubloons to anyone who can solve the problem!

(I shall definitely have to offer Swine a post as Minister of Global Information Services after the coronation ...)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact