Use the Correct Usings of There, Their, and They're

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: Use the Correct Usings of There, Their, and They're
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Bell_jar on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:19 am:

ahhh... it is the english major in me coming out.

there: usually used for a place.
    they're: another way to say they are.
    their: used in reference to a group of people.

and don't get me started on to, two, and too.

By semillama on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 12:58 pm:

When is there ever used except to refer to location?

and how about "thar"?

By heather on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

'use the correct usings'?

By mistaswine on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:42 pm:

i smell cagefight.

By heather on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:45 pm:

i'm feelin' pretty feisty

By Bell_jar on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:06 pm:

in the dead of the night i forgot how to spell usage. kick me in the head. i doubt that there is used in any other reference than to a place. i was unsure, again in the dead of the night, i didn't want to leave ground uncovered.

thar... is not a word i'm familiar with.

By MapleLeaf on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:28 pm:

Nor do you seem familiar with the word...'cagefight'.

By Bell_jar on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

indeed you're right. and the help around here isn't always so forthcoming, so i didn't ask. i assume by the conotation that i feel towards it... i don't want to know.

By agatha on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 03:51 pm:

if i could find the link, i would post it for you. i'm sure antigone or markus will bust out with it.

By There there on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 08:18 pm:

and what about "they"?

is it proper to use as an interjection?

"They, there is no there there, just like Gertie said" remarked the visitor from Knoxville upon visiting Oakland California.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

"thar" as in "over thar, somewher'sabouts".

or in "Thar she Blows!"

Vernacular usage rules!

By J on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 03:26 pm:

You would do well in W.V. Sem,and remember the song about W.V. by John Denver? I hated that song,but I heard a ska version of it that blew me away.Who sings that song Mexican Radio?I can,t get it out of my head,When I was in the jungle,Quepos was the town I went to the park where I saw the baby monkeys,J has been sitting on her ass for 2 years so the hike and humidity were getting to me,I went to sit on a tree stump and right before I plopped my ass down I see a mouth and hear this like hissing sound.I almost sat on a huge iquanna,I thought those things were green.You should have heard me scream.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 03:30 pm:

Wall of Voodo...Polvo does a great cover of it.....

By semillama on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 05:06 pm:

Like old school ska? the lyrics are like "Almost Heaven, West Jamaica"?

Then its the mighty Toots and the Maytals.

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 06:01 pm:

One of the boys from Polvo was at that party I went to on 4/1. But I didn't say 'Hey, you are extremely good looking, do you remember me having a really pathetic conversation with you about 5 years ago hoping you'd like me'. I just don't know why I hold back sometimes.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 06:05 pm:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 06:11 pm:

Ash Bowie?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 06:17 pm:

thats his name, also plays in Helium....not so good there though. when i lived in raleigh, polvo used to have insane parties and keggers in chapel hill, they would don their favorite sports jersey and make the most amazing music completely blotto out of their minds....talented guys.....

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, April 5, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

Yes, that would be the handsome Ash Bowie. I thank you for actually having a picture on hand Patrick. He moved up here to be with Mary Timony (Helium singer) I think. I remember seeing Polvo in NYC and being surprised what a buncha frat boys some of them loooked like. Ash isn't as handsome as he once was. He's getting that crusty 'usedta rock' look. Too bad.

I have the new Mary Timony record now. It's good in some places and not in others. The songs sound like she has one idea and she's playing it over and over with slight variations - but I don't think it's supposed to sound like that. Of course, since her music is disturbing she is unbearably sweet in person.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact