be proactive

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: be proactive
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 11:40 am:

Today my supervisor caught me lying down on a pallet of flower sacks. why did he have to be there the moment i took a break! all day i had been working my arse off in that mill, worse still i had just finished a batch of coeliac mix working with speedi-gonzallez himself! grr

By Hal on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

Dude, unless you get fired don't worry about it. Just be sure to work that little bit harder when you know he's watching, and just as hard as normal when he's not.

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 12:51 pm:

hmm, i guess so, i hope he doesnt dock me of any pay, if he does ill be so cross, particularly as i have taken shorter breaks than im s'posed to in the last week.

still there are more important things to worry about at the moment arnt there.

By pez on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

there's just some jobs that you can't get cought doing that in.

normally you're supposed to have breaks you can take at specified times.

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

yes, we do but ony half an hour for 8 hours work.
    8 hours HARD work
    i.e shifting 2 tons of ingredients in 25kg sacks in 20 mins

what do you mean about some jobs Pez? what like being a nigt watchman, or a safty supervisor of some description?

By pez on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

retail too. here in the u.s. it's illegal for companies to allow their employees less than one 15-minute break for every four hours worked, plus a lunch if you're working for six hours or more.

you get hours cut if you're caught doing nothing.

HALF AN HOUR FOR EIGHT HOURS?!?!?!

if it was me, working the store for eight hours i'd get two ten minute breaks and half-hour lunch.

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

thats what i thought, i thought it was law here too, as where i work at weekends (WH SMITH) it says on the HASAWA board that employees are entitled to one half an hour break and two 15 min breaks for the hours im working.

Its not on, the pay at Bowmans is good, but that doesnt make up for the way we are treated there

By Spider on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:24 pm:

What do you mean by "failing to be proactive"? Were there steps you could have taken to prevent getting caught by your boss, or, better yet, lying down?

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

well when i was told about the job by may agency, they said Bowmans wanted someone proactive, who would pick up a broom and sweep when nothing was going on etc. Well i did sweep the floor, but clearly i should have done more to ensure i was busy.

By Spider on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

Ah, so this is what everybody means when they say this word gets abused!

PROactive means, like, taking all these steps to ensure we don't get attacked by terrorists by beefing up security at airports BEFORE anything happens. As opposed to being REactive and taking the steps AFTER.

Ruddy corporate stooges.

By pez on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:40 pm:

i think they meant proDUCtive.

By Alex on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

proactive: adjective
    taking action yourself, rather than waiting for something to happen and then acting as a result of it
    "He is critical of other firms for not being more enterprising and taking a proactive attitude towards exporting".

so in actual fact i think they used it correctly, meaning i should do things like sweep up without being told to do so, then doing it. or stacking things neatly that are untidy, instead of waiting for them to fall over before putting them back neatly.

By The Watcher on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 11:51 am:

Ah, the joys of retail.

I learned the art of goofing off when I was a stockhandler. That was many years ago.

There are many places in a Department store where an observent and inventive person can hide to avoid working.

I knew one person who used to sign in, take a trash cart out to the parking lot, then go work as a waiter at a nearby resturant. He didn't last to long.

Ah sweet memories of my youth.

By pez on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 12:40 pm:

sometimes i read in the stockroom, but just snatches of time. it's something i try not to do very much.

buisiness has been very slow with the weeks events, sales are way down. i told my boss that if we sold american flags we'd have much better luck. he laughed.

that's the first time i'd seen him laugh in a long while.

By Alex on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

they say its good to make people smile, so i'd imagine a laugh is even better. well done Pez, spreading a little cheer in what is such a sad time for everyone.

By Spider on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

This, from another message board, made me laugh for the first time in four days:

"Instead of rebuilding both towers, I say they should build one great big tower that stretches all the way from the outermost boundaries of where both old buildings used to stand, across the entire space between them. And it should be a mile-and-a-half high and made entirely of solid adamantium, bristling with anti-aircraft guns and missile launchers. Oh, and it should be able to transform into a giant robot which can stomp around New York and wield a giant energy sword and even fly if the need arises."

By pez on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

ooooh! transformers!

i used to break those.

By Alex on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

on purpose?

surely to God, no!

not on purpose please!

maybe the deceptacons, but not the transformers.

By pez on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

i don't remember. it was 15, 16 years ago.

By Alex on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 06:35 am:

oh, well i guess well have to make an exception here then!

By pez on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

hahahaha!!!! the masked ballerina of death wins again!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact