get any work done

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: get any work done
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:00 pm:

so, i've been busting my ass since the beginning of the year at work and i've gotten a lot accomplished.

but today i just don't feel like working. my current projects are just kind of annoying me today.

so i'll probably post here a lot today. and surf the web a bit (but that doesn't hold my attention for more than 10 minutes at a time). maybe take a walk to the post office. and go out to lunch. and hide in the server closet, poking around on some of the servers.

so what do you do at work when you don't feel like working?

By kazoo on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

at work? there is no "at work" for me anymore really. When I worked in an office I read the news constantly and picked fights on message boards. I would e-mail people. Invent new scams and conspiracy theories. Every now and then I would pick something that I knew nothing about and would surf the web for information on it.

Since I do a lot of my work at home now, I have found that I am usually content to just sit on the couch and stare at the wall. My apartment would be spotless if I could use that time to clean.

By Nate on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

when i'm working here (home) i'll clean, futz around in the studio, hit the couch and flip channels, surf the same sites over and over again. when i'm working abroad, i have no choice really but to work.

i generally feel like working, though. it is usually when i am consumed by psychic shitstorms that i don't, and in those cases about all i will do is flip on the tv.

By semillama on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

By Platypus on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

By wisper on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

when i worked in an office i had my own *actuall* office for a while (they called it 'the cursed office', everyone who got it was fired within 6 months, so no one would take it but me).
    Anyway, when i was bored i used to close the door, crawl under my desk and sleep. Everyone thought i was at lunch.

Also, i had a scanner, and would scan my face every now and then. That makes very very scary pictures.

i used to research things i didn't know about, like kazoo said. That's how i know so much about the Pope, the royal family, and table etiquette.

I kinda have a thing for etiquette. Not the practice of it, just reading about it. So many rules....

By J on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

So little time to break them....

By Platypus on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:22 am:

I just finished reading the Miss Manner's guide to excruciatingly correct behaviour (for the plane). It was actually really interesting, in a sick kind of way.

By agatha on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I work in a place where it is near to impossible to slack off. People are always watching, and internet usage is monitored, and I am always hyper aware of wanting to do a good job, so I pretty much don't slack at all. About the only thing I do slackwise is talk to people I work for. Once you get them started, it's really hard to shut them up. Also, I listen to books on tape when I'm working, and sometimes I space out a little too much on the book and don't concentrate on my work.

Also, did I mention that my work is painfully boring? Basically, I work in Hell.

Platy, I know you don't watch much TV, but there's this Seinfeld episode where George retrofits his office so that he can take naps under his desk. He has a carpenter come in and build some sort of recessed bed type space, and he would crawl in and nap for hours. It was a funny episode.

By sarah on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:57 am:

i've done that a few times here as well. i was just so tired i couldn't even work, i was nodding off sitting up at my desk. so i would shut the door, lock it, and crawl under my desk and use my coat as a pillow and nap. i usually can sleep from 30-90 minutes. out cold.

but i haven't done that in a long time. i'm getting more sleep these days i guess.

By kazoo on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

One of the greatest things about working at home is that when the craving for some chunky mint madness hits I can run up to the store and get some. And I just returned from doing exactly that. While there I found out that they added my favorite, Peanut Butter ZigZag, to their choices of Soy Delicious™ pints. Now I'm in trouble. Seems like Mr. Sem will be seeing a lot more of me.

By trace on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

i love fed jobs...

getting every federal holiday off is nice

By semillama on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

yes, that was nice. Especially when it was a monday that combined with the previous Friday being a Required Day Off.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact