Recognize the irony of my visit

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: Recognize the irony of my visit
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:40 am:

Wolfowitz, on a PR mission to highlight things going right in Iraq, escapes rocket attack on Baghdad. kinda hard to show the good when the hotel you're at is hit with rockets, killing one and wounding 15.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031026/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq&cid=540&ncid=716

a sister link:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1071460,00.html

highlights... those early poll numbers that people still use, done days after Baghdad fell, have shifted. significantly. if you believe polls, that is, of course

"A poll released this week showed that 67 per cent of Iraqis view the American-led coalition as 'occupying powers', more than 20 per cent higher than a survey conducted shortly after the fall of the former regime. According to the poll, conducted by Iraq's Centre for Research and Strategic Studies, the number of Iraqis who view the coalition as a 'liberating' force has dropped from 43 to 15 per cent, and very few feel safe in the presence of the police or foreign armies controlling the country. "

By Rowlf on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:43 am:

just minutes after i posted the wolfowitz link, they removed his name from the headline. wassupwitdat, liberal media?

By Nate on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

eh? i thought wolfman was there to assess the insurgency. it isn't like the administration has been trying to claim that there are no problems in ol' baghdad.

the poll results were released by "Iraq's Centre for Research and Strategic Studies".

By dave. on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

meanwhile, bush can't even control his own staff.

"Concerned about the appearance of disarray and feuding within his administration as well as growing resistance to his policies in Iraq, President Bush - living up to his recent declaration that he is in charge - told his top officials to "stop the leaks" to the media, or else.

News of Bush's order leaked almost immediately.

Bush told his senior aides Tuesday that he "didn't want to see any stories" quoting unnamed administration officials in the media anymore, and that if he did, there would be consequences, said a senior administration official who asked that his name not be used."

source

By Rowlf on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

"eh? i thought wolfman was there to assess the insurgency"

that all depends on what you believe yourself... I think its PR. its funny to note that both sources I listed, one said "assessment", one said "PR".

I dont know where or what this research study center is, but I know that hawks have quoted them before when poll numbers were in their favor. Obviously theres no website or phone number available to check this shit, the only information i can find is that its in Baghdad.

Which is why I left up the 'if you believe polls' disclaimer...

remember in Wag the Dog when the candidate opposing the president decides to play along in the game, and claimed the war was over? Sometimes I think these 'polls' and 'research centers' are made up and used by both parties at their own discretion.

But then again, I've been able to locate other Middle Eastern nations' research and strategy centers. if you google search you can easily find the one for Jordan.

http://www.css-
    jordan.org/polls/government/aburagheb30m/

I could guess by this example that perhaps this Iraqi research center, if it exists, is part of some university or something in baghdad, if they're operating. I dont even know if they are. I would think they would be.

By Nate on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

that is so fucking cool.

i mean, aside from the whole 'this small group of men controls the largest nuclear arsenal in the world' bit.

By Rowlf on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

its like pro wrestling, sadly

some heel manager tries to give a chairshot to someone, ends up hitting his own guy by accident, costing him the title...

i have no idea, among Bush's team that we know of, would be most likely to leak shit out.

By dave. on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

By Rowlf on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

they switched Wolfowitz back into the headline again

what the hell... why do they do this? are they testing what gets more hits or something?

By patrick on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

By dave. on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

i predict that the cia is going to kick the administration's ass if it proceeds with trying to incriminate the intelligence community for the factual errors in the case for war in iraq. my hunch is that these leaks are coming from cia plants and everyone on the staff knows it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact