acquit Jefferson, convict Napoleon

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: acquit Jefferson, convict Napoleon
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

Mock Trials are Retarded

from yahoo:

Jefferson Found Guilty in Mock Trial
    Sat Dec 20, 5:34 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By CAIN BURDEAU, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia (news - web sites) nodded, agreeing with his fellow jurists that Thomas Jefferson was indeed guilty of prolonging slavery, deporting American Indians and discriminating against the French in Louisiana.

Scalia joined federal and state judges to hear the testimony of Jefferson and French ruler Napoleon Bonaparte in a mock trial to review lingering legal and historic questions about the Louisiana Purchase.

New Orleans caps a yearlong celebration of the bicentennial of the mammoth land acquisition with a host of events Saturday.

Friday evening, the verdict ran like lightning through the hushed audience in the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites).

Jefferson's lawyer jumped to his feet outraged, and demanded an appeal.

Napoleon flashed a grin and a thumbs-up sign after being acquitted of abandoning the peoples in the Louisiana province when he struck the land deal with Jefferson in 1803.

On Dec. 20, 1803, the American flag was hoisted in the Place d'Armes, now Jackson Square.

Friday was the final act of this three-part yearlong trial organized by Cajun Francophone lawyers. It was performed mostly in French and also celebrated the movement to preserve the French language in the United States.

"I think this trial proves that the French language in Louisiana is alive and well," said John Hernandez III, one of the main organizers of the trial.

As the representative of the 5th Circuit on the Supreme Court, Scalia was invited to attend the "proces simule," as it was termed in French.

"It's gratifying to see that we're remembering the native cultures of the time of the Purchase," said Warren Perrin, head of the Council for the Development of French in Louisiana, a pivotal organization for Cajuns.

"Just to get to see a justice of the Supreme Court, state court judges and federal judges interested in something like this is hard to describe," said Fortune' Dugan, a New Orleans lawyer in the audience.

Scalia didn't utter a word during the trial, and agreed with a nod — after consultation with the bench — to the verdict: Jefferson guilty, Napoleon innocent.

The main contention in this legal play was that the development of the United States has often come with a price: The abused.

Jefferson, played by a lawyer-turned-actor in wig and breeches, took the stand first.

He was interrogated by representatives of the American Indians, black and white Creoles, Spanish and Acadians — the people who called the swamps and pine forests of the Mississippi River valley home in 1803.

For the Indians, the argument ran, the territories the United States occupied after the Purchase — the Great Plains — became the land for reservations.

"Did you ever hear of the 'Trail of Tears' which was the trail of hardship and death over which the Cherokee Indians from Georgia were marched by U.S. soldiers at gunpoint one thousand miles to Indian territory in the Louisiana Purchase?" Jefferson was asked.

"I have heard rumors of that, but it did not happen during my administration," the president replied — astonished.

For black slaves, the fertile Mississippi River valley — with its soil so ripe for cotton and tobacco — turned into plantation country.

Their representative sneered at Jefferson: "You say you wanted to abolish slavery, and yet, when you died, were not your slaves sold off at auction to pay your debts?"

Jefferson conceded: "Yes, I am sorry to admit. As I grew old, I sometimes asked myself whether my country was the better for my having lived at all."

In his defense, Jefferson added: "I did what I could. I always believed and proclaimed that all men are created equal and that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that liberty is among these rights."

The Cajuns asked: "Why do you believe that the French language had to be stamped out?"

Replied Jefferson: "Well, I will quote here a great American, Theodore Roosevelt, who shares with me a place of honor on the national monument of Mount Rushmore: 'There is room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we must assure that the crucible turns out Americans and not some random dwellers in a polyglot boarding house.'"

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact