Remember the name of that boy

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: Remember the name of that boy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nelly on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:49 pm:

What was the name of that boy that I tried to get to deflower me, one night at a party at his house after everyone had gone home, we were both drunkand he was too drunk to take me home, but when he found out I was a virgin, he didn't want to do it. He was a graduate student and knew enough of trouble...

I keep trying to remember. It wasn't Stuart. Or Jim. I think it was John... but, there are a lot of Johns...

So we just bundled it through the night, it was very sweet, not much sleeping happened. We never "saw" each other again (although we saw each other lots of times in the department). I never thanked him properly, he did right, deflowering me turned out to be a lot of trouble...
    Armstrong. John Armstrong.

Memory is amazing.

By dave. on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:51 pm:

"deflower" sounds so technical and destructive. like an herbicide.

but maybe i've become a total p.c. wimp.

case in point:

i went to an indian (dot) restaurant last night and there was belly-dancing. now, i'm not a prude. i swear, i'm not. but i just felt silly watching these women undulate in front of us, encouraging everyone to ogle them. it doesn't have anything to do with being attracted to them. these women were not attractive in the popular sense, but even if they were, even if they were painfully attractive, it's like i've been conditioned to not stare at women -- especially their seductive bits.

then again, maybe it's a personal thing with me. when i see a pretty woman, and i can certainly recognize beauty, my default mode is to treat them as if they were an ugly man. no flirting, no staring. just business. venti iced americano, extra ice. thanks. i'm always nice, polite. i don't gush and i don't throw fits and i don't expect anything else from anyone else. just business.

but i became the focus of a few in the dinner party. it became an issue of whether i was watching, would i slip a dollar bill in the dancer's costume, etc. i just wanted to have some food and hang out with my friends and family. i never suspected that i was obligated to participate in the entertainment. and it's not a matter of prudishness. i'm not offended by bellydancers. nor would i be offended if this were a strip club and the dancers were wagging their clits in the patron's faces.

what bugged me is that my response (or lack thereof) to the performance seemed to bother other people. i didn't care if they were into it. why was it an issue that i wasn't?

sheesh.

sorry, nelly. you can have your thread back. i just felt compelled to bare my neurosis to the world.

By V on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:55 pm:

Dave,hi,is v from London,is allway so good to see you line,to put you right,Nelly is the guy that posts as a girl,he has a small beard,v got into his site...hope v is some help to you on this matter.

By V on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:57 pm:

Dave,v tends to think you are being taking for a ride.

By droopy on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:58 pm:

you're just no fun, dave.

i've had a good experience with belly dancers. it was my grandfather's birthday (83rd) and we decided to to take him to a lebanese restaurant called byblos. it's up in the old north side and has been around for 30 years. they've even have a hookah lounge. but we decided to treat my grandfather to some belly dancers. byblos has regular performances by a belly dancing instructor named sa'diyya or her students. the night we went, two of her students performed - pale, caucasian women one of whom lived up to the "belly" part of the performance.

they did their routine and you were encouraged to put dollar bills into their belt (or whatever). i've never seen my grandfather have such a good time. this was especially touching since he had cancer and this would be the last birthday he'd ever see.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:22 am:

v. shut the fuck up, you ignorant twit. nelly has been here since day motherfucking one. she is pantheon here.

you, on the other hand, are this site's equivalent of a bad case of acne.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:44 am:

droop, you're right. i am no fun. I AM NO FUN.

but i'm not anti-fun, either. seriously, i'm neutral. have a blast or go home or just hang out.

again, you're right. if you're counting on my enthusiasm to insure a fun night for everyone, don't invite me. better for all.

i truly want everyone to have a good time. i'm not out there griping about anything. but sometimes, i just want to disappear and let the rest of you party. sadly, it's hard for a 300 lb man to disappear in a small restaurant.

hey, whatever. next time, i'll decline the invitation if they're gracious enough to extend it.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:41 am:

threadkiller!

By droopy on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:43 am:

threads here are usually barely alive.

that wasn't actually supposed to be an insight into how fun you are or aren't, dave. just a snappy opening sentence.

you and i sound a lot alike. and it's hard for a guy in a wheelchair to disappear. it's just that i don't care anymore.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:31 am:

my brother, who is 5 years older than i am and seems to have hoarded all of the social genes that i never got (i fucking love my big brother), and who invited me to this dinner, has told me that, of all of the funny things anyone has ever said to him, i own some of the funniest. yay me.

maybe that's why i was invited. maybe they assumed i'm always on. i dunno. probably not. maybe they just like me. maybe i'm waaaaay oversensitive.

i know i do have a problem with groups of more than a few people unless i have some specific task to perform.

group events, i linger at the edges. even when it's all friendly. even at family events. sorry if that makes some folks uncomfortable but consider how uncomfortable i am with being drawn out.

By V on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:30 pm:

dave,them "bad hair days" are the pits,but are no excuse for that appalling outburst of provocative animosity,lets have a sence of decorum.

By V on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:43 pm:

...dave,if we were all stranded on a small island,we would kill each other within 24 hours,apart from droopy.Nelly would be the first to be eaten,jack next,then you,unless you cheer up a bit.

By V on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:04 pm:

...dave,take a good look at the first person to post on this thread,a man that posts as a girl,is that your hero?...the only hero in Sorabji is droopy,smart sharp postings,and a wonderful personality,what more do you want from your late night entertainment?

By V on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:20 pm:

dave, "Nelly,a panthion of Sorabjiland"...no dave,you are wrong on that,and I dont care if that creep has been posting for a hundred years.I regard him as a drifter that cant get his life together...now dave,I dont mean no insult to you as a person,you just hang out with the wrong guys.

By droopy on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:33 pm:

1. i hate group stuff too, dave. mostly. if i have a reason to be there - public speaking, playing in a band - i have no problem, no stage fright. ask me show up someplace just to mingle and chat and i'm miserable. i even bought a book called "loner's manisfesto" once. don't know where it is, now; probably wanted to be by itself.

2. dave is correct, v: nelly is in the pantheon, the pallas athena of sorabji. a part of a long gone golden age.

3. what the hell kind of bbs gets sidetracked from a discussion about deflowering sexy librarians? it is madness.

By jack on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:52 pm:

yeah, and what the fuck are you guys doing feeding the moron trollbot? that's my job.

getting distracted from deflowering sexy librarians is not cool. damn.

By Dougie on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:15 pm:

See V, any major dude'll tell you...

By semillama on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:18 pm:

It's truly hilarious that V thinks our resident sexy librarian is some dude with a goatee.

I'd kill for a lebanese restaurant right now. or any type of decent restaurant. I'm in Hagerstown, MD, on a project and the town is strangely devoid of places to eat that aren't TGI Friday's or their ilk.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:40 pm:

I know, and I just can't figure out where he gets the goatee. V, talk to Mark about whether Nelly's a man. If he were to answer you, which he won't, he would assure you that when he has hung out with Nelly in the flesh she was most undoubtedly a woman.

Anyhow, yeah, Dave's pretty paranoid with social situations. He's exaggerating the issue just slightly. Cleo must have put about ten dollars in those bellydancers' belts. She was totally into it.

By jack on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:

nelly posted a link to some dork's site on wayd last year or so. the dork had facial hair.

v assumed that the link was nelly's personal site. (duh, iteration #5003)

hence, goatee.

he seems to understand his mistake now but he enjoys the occasional attention the likely faked misunderstanding sometimes draws. any attention is good to a trollbot.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:38 pm:

That you very much for deconstructing that scenario, Jack. You are a good man indeed.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:38 pm:

Nelly, is bundling the same as spooning?

By semillama on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 09:37 pm:

I actually found a great restaurant in Hagerstown - Schmankerl Stube, authentic Bavarian. outstanding.

so, if you are ever in Hagerstown, that's where to go.

i'm so damn full.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 09:57 pm:

So am I.

Luckily, I'm filled with the urge to defecate.

By jack on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:11 pm:

thanks for the hagerstown update, sem. i was curious.

i've driven through there and i figured you were destined for subway or olive garden or such.

By Nelly on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:23 am:

i wonder if i dare put my big toe back into this thread. oh well. bundling is what they did when there weren't enough beds and they had to put a girl and a boy into one. Sometimes they would put a sword in between. the idea being, let's spend the night together, but platonic...

i took belly dancing classes once, but all i got out of it was muscle aches in places i didn't know i had. the instructor was a middle aged blonde woman.

By dave. on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 03:57 am:

nelly, please don't let my hijack discourage you from posting. i wasn't criticizing you for using the word "deflower". i was criticizing the word.

i'm ok with belly-dancing. in this particular situation, the setting was intimate enough that merely watching the dancers meant being drawn into the performance. that was what i was trying to avoid but some folks (agatha) seem to enjoy tormenting me. i liken it to pulling several legs off a daddy longlegs and then trying to scare it into pathetically hobbling away to safety. haha, mr. longlegs. you run funny! let's see how funny you run with only one foreleg. hahahahaha! funny!

if the situation were reversed, i'd step in to defend her. or any of those 3 or 4 that thought it was funny to make it an issue and then watch me squirm. it wasn't just agatha. whatever, i can take a little shit and not blow it up into a major event. i mean, i could have made a big scene and stormed out. i didn't, but that doesn't mean i wasn't very put out by the whole thing.

shit, i did it again.

sorry, nelly. i'm done.

By Nelly on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 09:54 am:

'sallright, i don't care what you do to my threads now i'm in the pantheon.

By agatha on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:09 pm:

How are you doing with that goatee-growing, Nelly? Is it coming along nicely? Thank you for explaining bundling- I was confused.

PS- Dave is an exaggerater

By kazu on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:23 pm:

"but some folks (agatha) seem to enjoy tormenting me"

SEE I TOLD YOU I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE WHO ENJOYED
    TORMENTING HER SIGNIFICANT OTHER I TOLD YOU
    I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU NYANYANYANYAAAAAA

By V on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 03:04 pm:

Chaps,can you explain how I get Nellys home site that consists of a creep with a stupid little "stuck on" beard? in fact its not even a beard,3 pubic hairs stuck to a chin with super glue counts for nothing.

By lapis on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:13 pm:

tormenting is so much fun.

especially when they're ticklish.

as long as tormenting is balanced with back rubs, i believe it's justified.

whenever i attempt to imitate* bellydance, my sides ache for days.

* please do not confuse this with actual bellydance, i'm only recently beginning to learn the actual mechanics of it all.

By TBone on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:22 pm:

It seems to me that kayaking and belly dancing would use many of the same muscles.

By sarah on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:19 pm:

speaking of a long gone golden age, does anyone scrabble any more?

By TBone on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 05:56 pm:

Wow. I forgot all about scrabble. Again.

By H on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:31 pm:

it's your move

By agatha on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:37 pm:

I got locked out, and it never let me back in. I miss it.

By TBone on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:28 am:

Hmm. Says I'm forbidded too.

By heather on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:33 am:

scrabble was lovely

By cat on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:53 am:

I'm not sure if the sign up is public - but email me for linky.

pretty AT sorabji.com

By sarah on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:59 pm:

bundling is a colonial term, referring to a courting man and woman being allowed to sleep in the same bed but with their clothes on.

what made you remember that incident nelly?

By sarah on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:10 pm:

before i launch into an epic soliloquy, quick question -- is there belly dancing in india? thought that was mostly middle eastern.

anyway.

dave, you are not alone. i'm not down with belly dancing at my table while i'm eating. dinner theater, i'm okay with that. there's a stage and the performers are a good distance from me. but when i dine out, i like to focus on my company and my food. having wiggly jiggly parts in my face, having to stop conversation, smile, pretend enjoyment, while silently willing the girl to put her clothes back on and fetch me another glass of wine - it's just annoying.

and trust me. i appreciate the art of belly dancing, and wiggly women's hips. but if i wanted to see that while i'm eating, i'd go to a strip club or tittie bar or whatever.

a friend of mine once held her birthday party at a middle eastern restaurant. she reserved the whole back patio and there were about 20 people. the food was great and there was belly dancing - but it was AFTER we were done eating and everyone was just sitting around sipping on cocktails and hanging out. then it was cool. she even got a few women (including yours truly) to get up and try belly dancing. it was embarrassing, and i too over the years have grown disdainful of being the center of attention. but it was my friend's party and i didn't want to be a party pooper. having a glass of wine or two in me helped a lot.

but i feel your pain. i do.

in the last couple years i've become quite fond of the idea of being mostly invisible. which, well... let's face it. i used to be starved for attention. i used to love parties and holding court. this was all during the post-weightloss era of discovering the great power of beauty.

spent so many years trying so hard to not be invisible, then finally not being invisible at all, but rather very very uh... yeah. flirtatious, gregarious... maybe some other less flattering adjectives.

i went to a wedding reception last saturday with about 150 people, and i just wanted to crawl into a hole and dig myself a tunnel back to my house. the music was too loud, people were too drunk, all of them yelling and laughing and standing WAY too close to me. i had nothing to talk about.

how are you?

great, how have you been?

great! what's new?

oh, nothing much.

how's the house?

it's fine, maybe we'll have that house warming party one of these days...

(silence)

isn't this a great view...?

very quickly the discussion turns to weather, and i know i'm safely only moments away from being ditched in search of more interesting, less awkward conversationalists.

you wanna talk politics? exercise? books? music? travel? great, i'm your woman. but face it, how often are you in a group social situation where people are sober enough or composed enough to be really interested in anything you have to say?

mostly it's speculation about angelie jolie's relationship with Handsome Actor #23. someone's ecstacy trip at burning man. professional sports. whatever. please please please just leave me alone. i don't care if you think i'm boring.

not that i couldn't tap into a well of charming and witty repoire. i just don't want to anymore. it's too much work for too little reward.

it's the other things too... can't wait to get rid of the bitch basket - driving a convertible draws too much attention.

wearing looser, plainer clothes.

it's not like i'm anthropophobic. i'm fine with my close friends, in small numbers. yet only infrequently. i had to turn off my cell phone because i would have mild panic attacks every time it would ring. it's not natural for everyone to be able to talk to you at any given moment throughout the day and then get peeved or take it personally if you don't answer.

i'm driving, i'm grocery shopping, i'm walking my dogs. IS IT THAT FUCKING URGENT?

so now the message on my cell informs callers it's used only for emergencies and to leave a message on my home phone. (btw people don't get peeved or take it personally when they know they're calling your house and get the answering machine.) i don't like people calling me in general anymore. don't call me i'll call you.

i've even come to hate making plans with anyone in advance. what if i make plans to go out with someone friday night, and then friday night comes and i just simply don't feel like it anymore? now i tell people "it sounds really fun, but i don't like to plan things that far in advance. can you call me that day and remind me?" because unless i'm in the mood to be social, i pretty much just want to be left alone.

it seems to be working. the fewer friends i have the better. just a handful of close, real, fun friends who don't need to do something together every single weekend or else they feel neglected and give me a guilt trip.

if you told me 5 years ago that someday i'd become a loner, it would have seem preposterous.

By droopy on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:43 pm:

loners unite!

maybe it should be disband.

i'll have to think about this by myself.

hell yes they belly dance in india. especially in the hindu regions - dig shiva's boogie. it's sort of like bharati hula.

By TBone on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:09 pm:

I'm like that only without the well of charming and witty repoire. Sometimes I realize in retrospect that people were trying to engage me in conversation, not just initiating a brief exchange of information. I think I must sometimes appear rude or disdainful without realizing it -- or maybe just awkward and oblivious.

I got rid of my cell phone again, and I don't miss it. I almost never answered it except when I was home or at work. Now I have a VOIP phone line which is like a cell phone with unlimited minutes that I leave at home all the time.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:47 pm:

I'm really bad about making plans in advance and
    then wanting to or actually cancelling them. The nice
    thing about graduate school is that everyone has so
    much to do all the time and no one can ever know
    how busy (or not) anyone else's schedule is that it's
    easy to avoid socializing.

By TBone on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:51 pm:

I'm at work and it's 82.4 degrees in here and rising. Someone called the guy who's in charge of operating the heating and cooling equipment. He said that, yes, he was seeing low 80s on his thermometer as well.

The hot air continues to blow. It's been like this all week. Why are they trying to kill us?

By semillama on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:12 pm:

I think we should all go visit Tbone. Sorabjifest Montana - opposite end of the country this time.

By platypus on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:13 pm:

Scrabble, by the way, was moved to a new server, which might be the root of your problems. With scrabble, I mean.

Personally, I am terrible with the socializing. I have a cell phone, which is my only phone, but it usually is sitting at home or wedged into the couch.

Not that anyone calls me anyway.

I hate making plans, because then I actually have to follow through with them, go out into the world, and deal with groups larger than three. I loathe parties.

Yes, indeed, loners unite.

By wisper on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:24 am:

oh hot damn do i hate planning social things in advance. And it's like I'm alone in that theory and i find that out with a dull *thud* each and every weekend. "Oh i can't hang out with you this friday, I have plans with soandso. No, not saturday either. How about......next sunday or the friday after that?"
    HOLY FUCK bitch, if i wanted to see you the friday after next i would goddamn call you THEN, not NOW. How will i know what i feel like doing in 2 weeks? What if I feel like shit that day? What if i just don't want to go out? What if i just don't friggen feel like seeing you?
    I realize with horror that apparently everyone else IS in fact making such plans in advance, and that's why they sound so confused and put upon when i call them at 10:30pm on a Thursday night "Hey whatcha doin'? Wanna go for coffee? Wanna go for coffee now??"
    I just never know. How does it all work? Why did i never learn it? When is the proper time for scheduling weekend activities? Give me the damn appointment times.

I absolutely refuse to plan or confirm things for New Year's Eve. This is the one day you could lose friends over this shit, so no one gets a "yes" from me. New Year's is the worst for this. Tell me when your party starts and good luck to all contestants.....cause I'm staying at home like every year and you can eat my dick. I never know what i want to do until 10 that night anyway.
    Gawd.

I have to plan my birthday party soon. I should have weeks ago. Can't they all just come to me? Just show up for god sakes without planning?

Creepier than this is people who plan meals in advance. I can't eat pasta when I'm hungry for an omlette, you can't even make me. I shop 3 days in advance, max, and that usually doesn't even work out.
    How does that work.

Do people not have whims?

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:42 am:

I whimmed once when joining the social club at sorabji. You oughta live in the middle of te woods, I tell you. Cell phones are evil terrorist dogma. I can live without planning but used not be able to cross the street without checking the time and intersection of Pluto's rising. Call me a loner, I agree. Why do you think of my as a 90 year old gorrilla? I shrink at public gatherings but still love to hold an audience while training or teaching, I spend my days ten hours or twelve at a time listening to others' lives and liberties, and then people wonder why I have a gate at the end of the road, a flag warning the wandering friend to stay the hell away from me and my place, machine guns aimed at the mailbox and neighbors.

Whatever happened to the plane that supposedly hit the pentagon? Why did we find not a single piece of wing, fuselage or wreckage or body? Why is there but a ten foot diameter hole in the innermost wing wall of the buidling. Why did the Feds confiscate all local surveillence cameras which took footage of the incoming plane which no one saw?

Whatever happened to us? According to Goggle and the official record, I died at the WTC. My high school chums think it, and still try to email me. And people STILL want to come to visit me.

And the ones I want to visit me never come.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:52 am:

and Nelly rocks. (I forget to add that.)

I'm a pantheist if not an animist, so yea sorabjipantheists. Do we have a t-shirt logo yet?

and or but at least the gorrilla in me gets out once in a awhile to belly dance. where've you been hiding, ms. anita?

By sarah on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

apparently she's been busy drinking from "the untreated well of happiness".

yes whims

i am one giant whim

i was trying to explain to someone about how socializing is so different here than in hawaii.

in hawaii you call anyone up pretty much any time of day and say, "hey wanna go surfing (or hiking, or to lunch, or kayaking or to the beach or whatever)", and they say, "sure, i'll meet you at your house in 20 minutes." and that's that. here if you want to do anything with anyone, if you ask the hour before or even a day or two before, they've already made plans but will pencil you in for next week. it's so retarted. people are so busy all the time doing this or that, scheduling every minute of every day.

you know what can handle? when people just stop by unannounced to visit. happens so rarely but almost always turns out to be a good interruption.

then again, we don't have any family nearby.

on another note - speaking of pantheon - has anyone here read Middlesex?

By TBone on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

I can't plan either. But you guys can sure come on over whenever. I'll probably be here. Just don't expect me to hold up a conversation.

Dates further off than 3 days or so leave no imprint on my mind. As far as I'm concerned, there's Tomorrow, The Day After Tomorrow, Three Days Hence, and The Mysterious Future. The last three are a bit hazy.

Has anyone seen the movie for "Everything Is Illuminated"? Is it any good? The local store will sell it to me, but not rent it.

I have a friend who is worse than I am when it comes to planning. He makes plans like a crazy person, but forgets about them immediately. I'll call him up and ask if he wants to go get some coffee, to which he'll reply, "Sure. I just need to finish something up. I'll call you back in an hour."

If he does indeed call, it will be 3 hours later, after the coffee shop has closed.

By dave. on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:51 am:

wow. i figured i was just a freak on the road to hermitsville. i figured i was some pathetic, pitiful candidate for misanthrope of the year.

well, maybe i am all of that. but i'm in good company.

thanks, sarah. and thanks all of the rest for the affirmation.

i know i come off as a major prick, but i'm not just a hater. i cried for the autistic dude who scored all those points at the end of his team's last game. i even cried when our dumbass posterboy president bush met with him and acknowledged his performance. politics aside, the guy got the attention of a sitting president, even one as aloof as this cocksucker. you go, special ed hoopster!! i teared up countless times watching the olympics. i really get into the drama of folks who put it all on the line, win or lose. (except for those cases like the speed skater guys. hey guys, fuck you. go away.)

i'm just very glad to read that i'm not such a freak. and, yeah, unless i'm expecting a call, i hate it when my cell phone rings. cell phones suck.

my grandma died today. long overdue. she's been battling alzheimer's, diabetes and general oldness. she went peacefully, stopped breathing after a week or so of renal failure and morphine treatments. peace, grandma.

and happy b-day to me. and nate.

By droopy on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:41 am:

i've never thought of you as a major or minor prick. ever.

happy birthday.

peace to your grandma. paz a su abuela.

where the hell IS nate?

By Antigone on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:51 am:

You are a freak, dave. You're our freak. Don't you fucking forget it.

And may your grandmother get her celestial freak on, and I'm sorry for your loss, and happy birthday you bitch.

By moonit on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 05:16 am:

Happy birthday Dave (and Nate), and sorry about your grandma.

By sarah on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:24 pm:

nate's in petaluma.

happy birthday dave, and nate.

i found out yesterday a friend of mine in maui died. as soon as i heard the news, my first thought was "drunk accident" or "drug overdose". found out later that he fell off a ladder and broke his back. after some time in the hospital was sent home for 6 weeks bed rest, with a prescription of morphine...

it only took him 24 hours to overdose and die.

for Scot and dave's grandma:

"At last you have departed and gone to the Unseen.
    What marvelous route did you take from this world?

Beating your wings and feathers,
    you broke free from this cage.
    Rising up to the sky
    you attained the world of the soul.
    You were a prized falcon trapped by an Old Woman.
    Then you heard the drummer's call
    and flew beyond space and time.

The wine of this fleeting world
    caused your head to ache.
    Finally you joined the tavern of Eternity.
    Like an arrow, you sped from the bow
    and went straight for the bull's eye of bliss.

This phantom world gave you false signs
    But you turned from the illusion
    and journeyed to the land of truth.

You are now the Sun..."

from Gone to the Unseen, by Rumi

By platypus on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 01:24 am:

Oh, birthday boys, congratulations!

I'm beginning to suspect that dying is the "in" thing this year. I have two funerals to go to tomorrow.

By droopy on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 01:45 am:

sarah - are you saying that this friend of yours committed suicide or that he just went wild with his morphine script and it killed him? just wondering.

how old was your grandmother, dave? we're about the same age and i had lost all of my grandparents by 1996.

By dave. on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:24 am:

she was almost 90. or over 80. i'm not sure exactly.

i'm 39. my mom is 23 years older than i am. so, 62. my oldest aunt is about 10 years older than my mom. so, 72. assuming grandma was 18 when she had her first kid, 90.

she was my last living grandparent. my dad's dad, major, died when i was a teenager. my mom's dad, selfred (his buddies called him "andy"?), died while i was in my early 20s. my dad's mom, lorna, died while i was in my late 20s. my mom's mom, eva, died yesterday.

out of all of them, only major died outside of some kind of old folk's home. the rest of them all spent their final years in an institution, too feeble to care for themselves or to be cared for by family.

sigh.

By wisper on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:40 am:

"are you saying that this friend of yours committed suicide or that he just went wild with his morphine script and it killed him?"

there's not much difference, really.

By droopy on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:02 pm:

major and lorna, selfred and eva. no wonder your such an interesting guy, dave.

i'm 39, too. my mom's 64, my dad's 67 or 68. my mom's dad, clifton, died of cancer when i was 29. her mother, helen, died a few months later. it's generally accepted that she had willed her cancer out of remission. my dad was an only child and his parents didn't have him until they were in their mid and late 30's. his father, frank, died when i was nine. it was the first funeral i ever went to. his mother, anne, died when i was 19 and in the hospital for a spinal cord inury.

i guess i have a connoisseur's interest, wisper. total strangers will come up to me and tell me the story of their relative/friend/loved one with a spinal cord injury who shot himself or overdosed or died of complications or in some accident (like trying to cross a busy street in a wheelchair.)

i just noticed that everybody in my life dies in a year ending in a 6 (or when i'm in age ending in a 9).

uh-oh.

By semillama on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:59 pm:

I'm going to be 34. My mom is 67 and my dad is 69. My paternal grandparents died in the 80s and my mom's mother died in the mid-80s. My mom's dad died in the 60s the day after getting back from Hawaii from celebrating his 25th anniversary. He had a heart attack while shoveling snow.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 01:23 am:

Mom died at 42 when I was fifteen. Dad died at 52 on the day I turned 29. Grandparents all gone by then, and that last event was 26 years ago, making me currently 55 and holding.

Ladders scare me. My alcoholic neighbor who was a physician borrowed my extension ladder to paint a gutter, fell from it and didn't drop his martini nor the paintbrush on the way down, spent two days in a local hospital rebuilding his arm, went home, and promptly died of embollism.

Ladders scare me. I have the north side of the log house to strip, seal, and caulk this summer My feet hurt from the rungs, I don't like heights, and am not good at balancing a power washer, caulk gun or 10 gallon pump sprayer at 30 feet in the air.

Seeking volunteers unafraid of ladders.

The "untreated well of happiness." That's good, but is that well in New York or East Timor? either way, I'm glad for that happiness schtick. Could use more of that, you know.

Ice the cake, dear, ice the cake.

By dave. on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:01 am:

working construction gave me a fear of heights. until then, i reveled at being up high.

carrying one end of a 4 x 12 x 16 glue lam across a 6 inch top plate 40 feet above the ground did me in. i pulled several sphincters.

it was a beautiful house. built on a hillside, you could drive up to the front but the backside, due to the dropoff, was supported by 12 foot piers and we were putting an exposed beam ceiling on the second floor master bedroom (which was bigger than my current home). the area recieved several feet of snow in the winter, so the beams had to be massive to support the weight.

something about that job destroyed my confidence with heights.

By spiracle on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 02:59 pm:

I find that coming back here is kind of like that infrequent drunken telephone call to an ex..

By spiracle on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 02:59 pm:

I find that coming back here is kind of like that infrequent drunken telephone call to an ex..

By N.b. on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:07 pm:

baby, so good to hear from you! you sound great... what you been doin' ?

By semillama on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:57 pm:

speaking of drunken...

liter of fucking hacker-pschorr hefeweiss.
    fuckin' german yodeling polkas.

yeah, baby. the STUBE. hagerstown, Maryland.

only good restaurant in town.

you can order a FIVE LITER MUG of BEER there.

perhaps after that, hagerstown wouldn't be so grim. I can't wait to get home.

hi spiracle.

By sarah on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:27 am:

holy fucking hell.

spiracle! spiracle!!!

please stay for a while. how are you? where are you? what is going on in your world?

you have been missed.

all this talk of the pantheon... like an incantation.

By sarah on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:34 am:

i talked to a friend of mine on saturday about scot's death. she was closer to him in the later years than i was. she said something that resounded truth. she said

his friend Joel said he was in an incredible amount of pain. and it's like i can almost hear Scot say, "well, if i don't wake up, i don't wake up."

this may sound sick, but we both chuckled about that. because it's true. my bet is, he probably said exactly those words aloud to himself, just before he took that one last morphine pill.

Joel was staying with Scot that night, and simply found him dead in the morning.

droopy - i think that's the most i've ever heard you disclose about your family ever. can i come up to visit you some time? seriously.

By dave. on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:16 am:

speaking of stube, i went to bierstube in seattle last weekend and had a few liters of dinkel acker dunkel.

i also had a beer called terrible. made by unibroue.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/3635/

um, YUM!

it's belgian style, made in canada.

By spiracle on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:07 pm:

sarah..same old same old you know? are you still in TX?

speaking of beer and all...

what happens with out bodies that the older we get the more evil the hangover? there has to be something cellular going on..i certaintly can't handle the tequila anymore..AND now all of a sudden i'm drinking WINE..that's for old farts..

i'll be 30 this year..i can remember mark making a big "I'M AN OLD FART" deal about when he turned 30...

ofcourse, back in those days, 30 was old..

this year i stop counting..

By semillama on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 12:13 am:

I agree with you on the hangover thing.

I'd like to think that I've just become wise enough to realize how much I don't enjoy being hungover.

but I enjoy getting more into wine and leaving the hard stuff behind. I'm into the savoring of good wine and beer now. I guess my partying days are over.

By sarah on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 01:52 am:

spiracle, i'm sorry, but that is just too vague to be at all curiosity satisfying. i haven't heard a peep from you in five years (or more?), you're about to turn 30, and it's just same ol same ol? bah.

how about this: what sorts of things are you doing for fun these days?

yes, i'm STILL in texas.

very recently i had a little meltdown about missing hawaii and wanting to leave texas. it was a fun little pity party, complete with audible crying while curled up in a ball on our ghetto sofa about how i never have any real fun anymore like i used to in hawaii. i blamed not ever having fun, and blamed texas in general, for giving me a badonkadonk and making me an alcoholic - because food and booze is the only form of "fun" people have here. then i went on to blame senor for never wanting to do things that i think are fun, which is not actually true, but it was my pity party and half the fun is finding new and creative ways to feel sorry for oneself.

luckily i was home alone to enjoy this little episode in solitude.

By Karla on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 04:05 pm:

I like wine too, but if the "experts" are to be believed, I must have a rather plebian palate because I never like the shit they recommend and I usually like the stuff they dis. I've never been one for subtleties. I used to avoid red wine because of the wicked tannin hangovers, but I eventually discovered that if you drink good red wine, it's not a problem.

By sarah on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:37 am:

spiracle. come back.

By spiracle on Tuesday, June 6, 2006 - 01:56 pm:

sarah..yup..same old same old..
    i feel like my brain is in the same place..
    ofcourse, i feel more negative as the days go on but is that just age? or am i listening/watching/reading about current events too much? agh..depressing..

i've thought about getting into yoga but i heard that makes you more uptight...irony in that..last thing i need at the moment..

i've discovered i like gardening..go figure..i hunt down my swallowtail caterpillars on a daily basis...they've eaten all my parsley so that i have to BUY parsley at the store now..but hopefully i will have butterflies to show for when all is said and done...

you feeling better about texas? aren't you in austin?? go climbing girl! that is what i would do if i lived there..whips you into shape...on all levels...

also, how can you be depressed when kinky will be our govenor soon?! huh?!

By spiracle on Tuesday, June 6, 2006 - 02:02 pm:

also, on the wine front..

nothing beats crappy french wine..

and when i say crappy, i mean the shit you get in france that comes in a jug or is called the "house wine" or whatever the french call it, table wine, vino de tabloo...ha who knows..i don't know french...

that stuff is good..none of that fancy expensive shit..their table wine is better than anything..and guess what?? they keep it all for themsleves and don't export the good stuff..

all that oaky shmokey stuff is crap..my wine should not taste like tree bark..

By sarah on Tuesday, June 6, 2006 - 03:12 pm:

jeeez. i forgot until just now you live in houston.

what else are you growing besides parsley? flowers and edibles? do you have your garden at home or at a community gardens?

i am growing tomatoes, italian parsley, sweet basil, yellow bell peppers, and thyme. the garden is small and surrounded by a tall wire fence to keep the dogs out. how the 75 lb black dog loves to dig! i'd have the whole back yard dug up and cultivated if it weren't for the mutts.

have you ever climbed before? i've done it a few times indoors. i don't know... i don't mind the bouldering, that's kinda fun. but i don't like sports that involve lots of gear.

not only that, but i'm growing increasingly intolerant of the heat. so i swim a lot. kayaking on the rivers when there's water.

do you ever come to austin? you should contact me next time you think you'll be in town. i would go climbing again if there was a reason to. or we could be lazy and just go out for a drink.

we've only gone to houston twice, both times for an astros game. i like to visit there. one of my good friends is from there, she moved to austin in january '05 and she misses houston.

By spiracle on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 12:46 pm:

just herbs at the moment...in the process of digging up the whole back yard to make room for a veg garden and things..ugh..it's so HOT here already..

climbed for several years before I stopped and I was in the best shape of my life at the time even with all the beer and bad food associated with what you do "after" climbing..treadmills, lifting weights and all that can never replace the full body workout you get from climbing..and the only reason i stuck with it was because it was fun and not "working out"..

but you never appreciate being in shape until you no longer are...so i hope to get back into it soon..

and funny thing is i have a fear of heights but most of the time you're not looking down, so that's ok..

I hate the gear too...

i think guys love the gear thing..

they like to pick up sports that have lots of gear associated with it..

i ride my bike with regular shoes..but guys have to have the bike with the silly shoes and special pedals..extra "gear"...they take something as simple as riding a bike and turn it into "what shit can i buy for it"

I appreciate the invite..

By TBone on Thursday, June 8, 2006 - 11:18 pm:

I'm starting to hate gear too. I'm still drawn to the acquisition of gear, though.

Constant turmoil.

I wanna get into climbing too. I'm waiting to find out if I get the University job, though. It would mean free access to the climbing tower.

By spiracle on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 12:54 pm:

I think gear is a competitive thing..and guys can be more competitive so they tend to hoard more gear...

Subconciously (or not) it shadows your actual ability to perform a certain task..

if you have the shit (aka gear) then 90% of people wouldn't question your ability to actually USE the shit (aka gear) properly...

i think the more gear a sport has, you will find a greater percentage of pretentous people..hiding behind that gear...

By spiracle on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 01:01 pm:

AND that is my "broad sweeping statement" quota met for the day..

By TBone on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 09:41 pm:

I think for me it's related to my attention problems. SHINY NEW TOY!

Then I'm often ashamed to admit I own the gear, simply because I own gear for so many effing things.

I think I may still own a kayak.

I took kayaking lessons ten years ago and haven't been in one since. It's awful. I really want to do all these things, but there are too many of them.

If I picked just one or two things, maybe I could get pretty good at them.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 06:09 pm:

a lot of people i know stay in great shape climbing. seems to me though you have to already be strong, otherwise you can climb for like 15 minutes and get tuckered out. and that's not much of a workout.

it's too hot to do anything outdoors except swim.

spiracle, do you have any friends in austin?

the tomato plants already have produced 9 very ripe tomatoes. they are delicious. senor's favorite salad is the one with the tomatoes and feta and olives and cucumber and artichokes and red onion and fresh basil, so i've been making a lot of that using the tomats and basil.

the yellow pepper plant is not doing so well. too much rain all at once. plus i stupidly only planted one.

i dug up a bed along the back side of the house to plant shrubs in our otherwise blank canvass of a yard. the area i dug up is about 35 feet long and about 4-5 feet wide. it curves about.

last year a friend gave us an agave, a rootbeer plant, a cardamom plant, and a plumeria branch. i've been keeping them alive in pots until i got inspired to do some landscaping. the plumeria now has like 20 leaves on it, but no flowers yet. i planted all those in various places in the yard. the agave takes center stage, accented with a couple mountain laurels, a couple wax myrtles, a couple variegated pittosporums (we just call them "pitts"), a couple of oleanders, and one esperanza. there's also an italian jasmine, which has started to climb up the patio awning.

the only thing the back yard came with was two japanese boxwoods, which are pretty, but look dumb where they were planted, so they're being relocated to the rear. also one crepe myrtle which is now blooming big pink flowers.

we love the back yard. we spend a lot of time out there; sitting, reading, watching the grass grow, chasing the dogs, and trying not to get tangled in the web of our resident spinybacked orbweaver. we got engaged, officially, about a month ago and have considered getting married in our back yard. but we're probably going to go off and do it secretly. i want to do it in hawaii, but it'd be impossible to keep it a secret there. so it's looking like key west, some time before the end of the year.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 07:36 pm:

why key west?

By Czarina on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:50 pm:

Major congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree, its too damn hot here to enjoy anything outdoors.I'm not far from the Texas border,but we are not getting any rain. I saw on the news that Winnie got 14 inches of rain, and we got zip.Ordinarily I wouldn't complain,cause with rain, comes the mosquito's,of which I have a very low tolerance.I hate the little bastards.But my pastures are getting barren,and the horses enjoy grazing,so now I am hoping for the rain.

I threw gobs of seeds,watermelon,canteloupe and cucumber into my chaff piles.[the used bedding from the horses stalls]And my results have been profuse!!!!We do a daily check,and they seem to grow overnight.We are all very excited,and seem to enjoy this little project immensly.Chaff is a wonderful growing medium.YUM!

By sarah on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 04:26 pm:

do you wait for the chaff to compost?

crawling vine plants are fun to grow if you have a lot of space. it's hard to grow the cucumbers into summer time because it's so hot and even w/ lots of water the leaves turn brown and shrivel up so easily.

i grew spaghetti squash a couple years ago by planting seeds from one i bought to cook. the squashes that grew were smaller than the one i bought, but were very delicious. and they took up huge space in the garden.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 04:27 pm:

oh, and i don't know. it was senor's idea. there's a beach, it's close geographically, it's relatively inexpensive.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:27 am:

Some of the chaff is composted,but as we clean the stalls daily,there is a never ending supply.Pretty much just throw in the seeds,and any leftover melons or cucumbers,and away they go.

The sweetest melons I've ever had come from the chaff. My theory is that the roots don't have to expend alot of energy,as the chaff is a rather loose medium,so the plant is able to send more nutrients to the fruit.

If you want chaff,you should easily be able to get it free,ANY horse farm will gladly give you all you want. Just pile up a little mountain,add your seeds and water,and you'll be knee deep in no time.The chaff also holds the water well,so it doesn't require frequent watering.

Kinda of a self sufficent garden.It grows itself!

I've noticed lately that the wild bunnies are leaving little piles of cocoa puffs under my plants,but they don't seem to be eating the plants.

I guess they're just stopping for a rest and a poop,and off they go.

Last year a watermelon plant spontainiously started growing across our driveway.We eagerly watched its progress.But then the paranoia set in.

Every time someone would drive up,we'd go running out of the house flapping our arms and yelling like some maniacs, STOP GO BACK STOP.

Our visitors thought we were an exhuberent family,and really glad to see them.

We weren't.We were protecting our food source,as any good pioneers would.

Finally,we roped off the area,and put a bunch of sawhorses around it,and then we were able to stop worrying.But it was touch and go there for awhile.

By TBone on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:52 am:

When I was a kid, we tried planting watermelons before we were able to eradicate our pumpkins -- or maybe it was the other way around. Both vines fought to take over the whole garden.

It doesn't seem like it should be possible, but I have a memory of taking what I thought were pumpkins (they were orange) out to the alley to throw them away because we needed to clear out the garden. I broke one of them open, and it was watermelon inside. And incredibly sweet.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:30 pm:

Oooooh,could it have been a hybrid?

By TBone on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 02:02 pm:

Maybe. I didn't think they were closely related enough to do that sort of thing.

I remember it was delicious, but it didn't come back the following year.

By sarah on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 02:44 pm:

i envy your watermelons.

but i bet you hear that all the time.

could you make a chaff pile with grass clippings and dog dookie instead?

i have plenty of that on hand.

behind the fence there is a little bit of land before it slopes down into the creek. there are lots of trees, not enough sunlight to grow a garden, but enough space to compost. we have so many critters around already, i'm a little wary of composting back there.

the most invasive critters are the toads. the little fuckers sit at the back doors on the little metal edging at the bottom. at night when we let the dogs out, there are always toads sitting there, at least one, if not more. the dogs freak them out, so they hop inside the house every single time.

you'd think we'd learn and be more careful when opening the back doors, but no. i forget every single time.

then i'm chasing toads around the house, and trying to keep the dogs from licking them. when she was a puppy, lulu used to eat them. well, she'd swallow them and about a minute later puke them right up.

By semillama on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 03:50 pm:

I don't think that the orange thing could have been an pumpkin/watermelon hybrid - since pumpkin is a squash, not a melon. I think that only exists in Willy Wonka's dreams.

By Nate on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:21 pm:

please, sem. humans are primates and bats are of order chiroptera, and yet we have V.

By Spider on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:32 pm:

Could you cross a horse and a llama? What about a pony and a llama? Which hybrid would be more useful?

...Um, I'm just curious...

By Nate on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:39 pm:

how about a kazu and a llama?

aaawwwwww.

By Spider on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:44 pm:

Aw, yeah, that, too.

But, ummmmm, I'm really curious. Horse and a llama -- what do you think?

By Nate on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 06:24 pm:

they're both mammals. that's about as close as it gets.

i think a lion and a llama would be much cooler.

By semillama on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 06:35 pm:

Llamas have sharp canines that the males use in territorial fighting to rip their rival's testicles off.

By droopy on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 08:34 pm:

semillama, did they look like this?

i occasionally a watermelons around here that look normal on the outside but have yellow flesh. apparently they come up from mexico. my grandfather loved them.

By droopy on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 08:36 pm:

"i occasionally a watermelons"

ugh.

By sarah on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:51 am:

don't worry. it sounds haiku-ish.

By TBone on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 01:50 am:

Could be.

Or maybe Willy Wonka did have something to do with it.

By Czarina on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 09:14 am:

It must have been a pumpmelon.I think Patrick posted a picture of one once.

Oh wait, no, that was a guy pumping a melon.My mistake..............

Can't cross horses with llamas,their totally different familys.Llamas are related to camels.The split toe and all.Can cross horses with donkeys,which produce mules,which are hybrids and can't reproduce.

Interesting fact: if you have livestock and coyotes are bothering [eating] them, you can put a donkey in your pasture and apparently they are natural enemies and that donkey will kill, or at least keep out the coyotes.

I was at my vets office one morning,and a neighbor came in and a coyote had killed a new born foal,so I was telling him about the donkey thing, and my vet piped in,"Or a male llama will do the same thing."

This was no coincidence,as my vet breeds llamas.

So naturally, I wanted to get a donkey [or a llama] to keep our horses safe, and my s/o told me I wouldn't keep it past the first morning.He said that they are worse than roosters,that when the sun comes up they start this hidious braying he-haw noise and they don't shut up and you can't make them shut up because they are so stubborn.

That noise thing put a damper on my desire for a donkey.[but I still think they're cute,just not cute enough to listen to that crap every morning]

Nothing has ever got any of my horses,but I have 9 dogs patrolling the property,so neither man nor beast venture here uninvited.

My neighbor once told me he saw a bear in the woods behind our houses, but he also grows his own pot and thinks he saw bigfoot out there, so I haven't worried about the bear too much.[but he kinda creeps me out]

The joys of country living.But I love it.I love the freedom.And,you get to wear stupid outfits,and thats always fun.

And Sarah,you betcha hon,I've gotten a compliment or two over the years on my melons!

By kazu on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:12 pm:

"Llamas have sharp canines that the males use in territorial fighting to rip their rival's testicles off"

lesson the first, don't ever flirt with kazu when sem's around.

By sarah on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:20 pm:

i love the outfits too! the boots! the gloves!

i'm now envisioning a radical Vogue fashion shoot.

By spiracle on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 03:14 pm:

sarah...i was pretty weak when i started climbing...you start off climbing easy things, build your strength and climb more and more difficult things..

like with anything..you don't start off expecting to conquer all...you build up to it slowly..

my only excuse for getting into better shape before i start climbing again is that i would be too depressed to start at ground zero again...but if i wasn't so stubborn...climbing would get me in "better shape" faster than anything else i was doing..

my parents are growing tomatoes so i feel your pain..i've done fried green tomatoes, gazpacho, salads (the kind with buffalo mozzarella)..i need a good tomato soup recipe so i can freeze the darn things instead of eating them all at once..

By J on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 04:36 pm:

I'm growing tomatoes too,got a little salsa garden going,but between the heat and the birds,I don't know if it will last much longer.I have a major cookbook collection and every single one of the tomatoe soup recipes call for chicken stock,only one recipe did I find that didn't. It just sounds so wrong..chicken stock.

By Dougie on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 04:40 pm:

J, you mention heat & birds -- don't know if you've got a problem with bugs, but Dipel dust seemed to work well for me with tomatoes last season. I've got 10 plants doing really well, this year and they're starting to blossom -- ooh, I can't wait!

By J on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 04:59 pm:

Oddly enough no bug problems.

By sarah on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 03:22 pm:

J, use vegetable stock. it's super dooper easy to make your own, or just buy that all natural stuff they sell now, it comes in like a box, similar to the kind of boxes that soy milk comes in.

don't use mushroom stock though, make sure it's vegetable stock.

By droopy on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 07:33 pm:

j - i have a recipe for hungarian tomato vodka soup that calls for chicken stock (and freshly rendered lard). my suggestion is: put vodka in whatever recipe you use and it'll all even out.

By J on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:08 pm:

Vegetable stock,that sounds more like it,thanks Sarah.Droopy,J always has a bottle or two or three of vodka,I'll try some of that too.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:44 am:

spiracle, in my experience, tomato soup is a waste of good tomatoes, even home made.

i'm not crazy about gezpacho either. it's better than regular tomato soup, but i'd much rather just make and eat salsa or pico.

now marinara sauce. that is something worth making and freezing for later. in fact, it just gets better over time, kinda like the mole sauce. when you defrost it, you can use it for all kinds of stuff: add some cooked ground beef and make spaghetti, pizza sauce, bake some chicken in it, veal or eggplant parmesean. etc.

i was thinking of making hot sauce with my extras, and then putting it in little jam jars and giving it away as presents.

have you ever been to that big indoor rock climbing gym, in Denton i think? i know the guy who used to own/run the place. i climbed there once. it was fun. the place is actually a huge old silo that was rennovated.

the rock climbing gym in austin is about a mile or two from my house. i should go back there.

in fact, it's early-ish and the weather is still cool-ish. i should go for a jog.

should
    should
    should

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:24 pm:

It's better to used canned tomatoes for soups and sauces, the tomatoes hold their shape better.

Fresh tomatoes should be eaten fresh. Maybe chopped up with onions and cilantro like Sarah said.

I have a recipe for a good sopa de lima; it's posted around here somewhere.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:30 pm:

its summer time. there is no excuse for using canned tomatoes for anything.

also canned tomatoes add spices unless you get the organic ones.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:52 pm:

There is no difference between delmonte diced tomatoes and muir glen diced tomatoes aside from the original organically grown product. They both have: tomatoes and tomato juice, sea salt, naturally derived citric acid and calcium chloride.

I'm willing to entertain the thought that delmonte is lying, however.

Even Mario Batali says that using canned tomatoes is better for sauces and soups.

And only get local tomatoes. Shipping ruins tomatoes.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:47 pm:

you just have to read the label. many add garlic powder and oregano. i'll buy an organic tomato over a non-organic tomato any day of the week. not only for taste, but as an ethic. but thats just me.

you will never convince me that any kind of pasta sauce is better with canned tomatoes. holy cow thats just absurd. in november, fine, its great. but in june, july, august when fresh tomatoes are so abundant.....no way. i have no idea who Mario Batali is but just that statement, he sounds like a jackass. fresh tomatos are always preferrable....even for soups and i cant anyone respectable italian with any cooking knowhow would say that.

we just dethawed this leftover soup we made last summer. a vegetable pistou. the recipe calls for fresh tomatoes (on top of many other fresh vegentables) because fresh veggies are so abundant in the summer time in provence. same in california. the idea of buying any basic vegetable frozen or in the can seems insane.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:05 pm:

Mario Batali is NOT a jackass and is one of the most respected italian chefs in the country even though he has red hair.

As far as I am concerned fresh tomatoes are useless unless they are local and bought at the stand from the farm where they grew.

i usually only buy muir glen anyway.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:08 pm:

And I also know that he's not the only italian chef who feels this way. Fresh tomatoes are wasted in sauce, they should be eaten fresh.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:22 pm:

I've also never cooked with locally grown tomatoes because I usually stick them on salads (local heirlooms...OHMYGOD). The one time I cooked with fresh tomatoes, they were not local which may be why I cannot distinguish between canned/fresh. Alton Brown explained why this is the case and it has something to do with the ripening process which uses ethylene or some other thing.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:26 pm:

Patrick, do you put sugar or a sweetner of any kind in your sauce?

By sarah on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:35 pm:

molasses!

and yeah, don't fuck with the food network stars.

By spiracle on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:36 pm:

fact is, salsa and pico are really not a good option (i'm trying to avoid turning healthy tomatoes into a bad snack involving chips) Also, eating all these raw tomatoes is going to give me an ulcer soon..

I'd rather make soup than see the tomatoes go into my compost bin because i haven't had enough time (or stomach lining) to eat one million raw tomatoes..

sarah..i think that silo-gym is in carollton or something..i've been there..i don't recomend going during the summer as it is HOT...they don't have any a/c there (wouldn't make any sense to anyway since it's in a silo..

The climb there is super easy but because it's so long, my body gave out only 5 feet from the top...takes more endurance than strength..but, you're right, it's a fun place..Most climbs in gyms or tx outdoors is only about 30 feet..i can't remember how tall the silo is, but atleast three times that height (100 - 150 feet??)

By kazu on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:40 pm:

on another board to which I post the consensus is that if you prefer a more acidic sauce (as I do) then you are better of using canned tomatoes.

I don't put any sugar in my sauce.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:43 pm:

yeah, carrollton, right, that's it. 5 feet from the top?! holy shit, girl. that's amazing. you must be really strong.

i was there in the summer. they have fans, but it's not enough. it was a sauna in there. blegh.

oh, and i try to eat my salsa and pico with vegetables. only when we go out for mexican do i indulge in a few tortilla chips. but really i just use them to scoop up a huge glob of salsa.

one time my dad came to visit and we took him to chuys. the gringos are silly. they take those chips and scoop up the the hot sauce all willy nilly, without testing it first.

my dad can tolerate and enjoy some pretty spicy food, but i thought he was going to start breathing fire or die.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:54 pm:

canned tomatoes for anything cooked. unless you have more fresh tomatoes than you can use, in which case, why not can them? batali is right, in my opinion.

since i had mono when i was supposed to put the tomatoes in, i will have to rely on the farmer's market for my tomatoes. store bought tomatoes suck ass. it isn't even worthwhile.

who wants to eat a big plate of pasta in the summer heat?

i think muir glen canned fire roasted tomatoes are fantastic.

By spiracle on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 06:02 pm:

i like chuys..we actually have one here in houston..it's always full...even at off hours..

i think my favorite place in austin is kerby lane, though..the kerby salsa, pumpkin pancakes and hippies..

By patrick on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 06:07 pm:

i rarely add sugar to pasta. i'll add wine before sugar. because canned tomatoes have been sitting in salty water for so long it feels like, to my palat anyway, that fresh have more uh....anti-oxidants?

i've been enjoying a basic pasta dish with fresh romas in the last month that is no where near as good with canned. the issue is the inconsistancy in the quality at the store level, but places like whole foods tell you exactly where they came from, of course often you can see the quality and moreover living in a diverse agricultural mecca like california, chances are, at any given farmers market, what im buying was grown with in a 2 hour drive. also its a convenience issue as skinning and deseeding takes a few extra steps. but i also enjoy cooking, and getting my hands dirty. deseeding tomatoes is kinda like foreplay, but im digressing.

muir glen is fine. i have issue about the "fire-roast" crap that everyone is slappin gon their labels these days but again, im digressing. there's this other italian brand the girl buys that is tasty as far as canned goes, i just can't think of it.

fortunately my palate is not that diverse to if i were to do a taste test, id probably fail, so i admit the process of cooking plays a very very large role in the matter.,

By Ophelia on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:49 pm:

carrots work really well for sweetening up tomato sauce a bit. its a tasty extra flavor.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:57 pm:

I just read "marinara sauce" and skimmed the canned vs. fresh debate (YES! you can use canned! Nigella Lawson also says so) and the "do you add sweetener?" question, and I'm posting headlong and will read backwards later. Tomato sauce is my life's blood.

You should use sweetener of some kind, be it wine or sugar or ... (mind is blanking...lots of basil could work), to cut the acidity of the tomato sauce.

I manage never to make the same sauce twice. My mom makes hers like so:

*1 whole onion, chopped fine
    *how ever many cloves of garlic you can handle

**sautee this in roughly 2 TBSP olive oil, until onions are clear**

Add:
    *2 cans crushed tomatoes (truly, you can find crushed tomatoes in a can with no added ingredients, and in my recent experience staying on a farm, the organic vs. regular issue is moot)
    *2 TBSP sugar (here's where I get a little leery and put in less, but, again, truly, what is too sweet in the pot tastes good on the pasta)
    *parsley, oregano, basil (amounts are sketchy; say, 2 TBSP parsley and 1 TBSP each oregano and basil to start, and then add more to taste -- dried vs. fresh is another debate)
    *salt and pepper to taste

**cook for at least 30-45 minutes. If you add meat to the sauce (add it at this point), you have to cook for at least an hour.**

It's good and easy. And I just discovered, as I tried to make ravioli out of won ton wrappers (oh, big mistake), that if you mix above marinara sauce with a bit of your prepared ricotta mixture (whole milk ricotta, parsley, grated parmesan, kosher salt, and cracked pepper)...well, that's really good, too.

In my experience, using fresh tomatoes to make a sauce makes it too watery.

I had to have my dad send me dried parsley, because I cannot find parsley in the grocery stores out here. WHAT GIVES? I howl. Parsley is like the salt of the herb world. You can (and I do) put parsley in nearly anything: on steak, chicken, fish, pork, in stews, in eggs, in salad dressing, etc.

(By the way, I just realized I talk to myself as I type. Oops.)

By Spider on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

Carrots? Hmmmm...this makes me narrow my eyes, but I know folks who do this and it does work out.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:11 pm:

i like carrots in my lentil soup.

somebody gave me a bag of home grown tomatoes yesterday. i made a salad with the basil i grow on my back porch. when i went out to check my basil this afternoon i found that it had fallen over (it's in a pot on a metal table) and rolled off to where i couldn't reach it. it had been planted off center and had been growing toward the west for a month or so now, so i guess it was inevitable. it took me hours before i could find somebody to rescue my basil for me.

By Spider on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:12 am:

What was I reading recently, in which someone makes a joke about this girl being good at growing basil, which is a reference to the belief that basil grows well with the blood of a murdered man mixed into the soil? A là "Isabella and the Pot of Basil"?

Don't know.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:28 am:

i forgot about that story. it's in the decameron, which i have a copy of. in the decameron story (4th day 5th tale) her name is isabetta. i'm not sure what you're talking about.

By spiracle on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:06 am:

I made a tomato sauce once and the last step was to add a tablespoon of cold butter after you have turned off the burner..allowing it to slowly melt..

It just finalizes and mellows the flavor a bit..smooths down the "rough edges" of the sauce..

By semillama on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:50 pm:

wow, spider, I really missed your posts. You really lively up a thread.

and the best marinara sauce is the one your mom made when you were 7 and really wanted spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 01:58 pm:

if it's too watery when using fresh tomatoes, you just gotta reduce it for a long time and/or add tomato paste.

By kazu on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 02:00 pm:

last night I had the most amazing heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. sliced tomatoes and the cheese with just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and a little fresh basil. the tomatoes were so good I just about fell out of my chair.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 03:22 pm:

carrots make for great pasta additives and as a WOP spider, you should know this.

your local snails thank you for the basil donation droop. those fuckers love that plant.

butter makes everything better, so does whole cream. add half of cup of whole cream to your basic marinara with some crushed red pepper and youre in good.

my GF is a bitchin cook and Ive managed to aquire quite a few italian dishes that are the shit...totally easy. in particular there is this brocolli sauce...

3 good sized brocooli heads chopped, get what ever stems you include, chopped slightly finer than the crowns.

get a good amount olive oil warm and add 4-6 cloves of garlic, whole an done thai chili pepper or any dried spicy pepper you like, or not. brown the garlic to a nice golden brown (this is important apparently)

add broccoli and sautee until there is a nice glisten on the broccoli, 3-4 minutes. add water to cover, lid and simmer for about 25 minutes.

take a potato masher or an immersion blender and once the brocolli is nice and soft go just a step shy of puree. toss with farfalle or penne. and another tip the girl learned in italy, before mixing the pasta and sauce, grate your parm directly to the pasta then toss. im not sure why.

i cvould share my vodka pasta recipe but im too lazy.

By platypus on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

Oh my god, I love heirloom tomatoes. They are one of the greatest things on earth.

Patrick, I think your vodka pasta recipe is up somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it. Maybe we should start a recipe thread, so all the awesome recipes we've shared over the years could be found in one place.

I'm going to try that broccoli...perhaps even tonight.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:53 pm:

i saw mario do that broccoli sauce.

food network is just as good as going to italy. and you don't have to turn in your republican party card or any of the other hoops you must leap through to get a passport.

By lapis on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:19 pm:

wild tomatoes in the garden, two types of basil (one growing out of a shoe). oregano and sage love that garden.

lots of potato flowers and saw my first squash blossom this morning. last years' carrot had a five-foot stem before it tipped. i hope it reseeds before it dies.

all the neighbors have trees dripping cherries into my yard. it's fantastic.

--

as far as spaghetti sauce goes, i'll start with canned and add everything imaginable to it. onions! garlic! mushrooms! eggplant! carrots! peas!

there's always too much so i just reseal it in the jar.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:49 pm:

soon i'll be making pesto - fresh basil, olive oil, and parmesan cheese (i never use pine nuts). i even bought a 16 oz, laboratory-grade mortar and pestle for the job...no mixers or processors. the pestle is the size of a microphone.

By TBone on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:07 am:

I sometimes keep a sort of fuzzpot spaghetti sauce going. I add a few ingredients to keep it going, then store the leftovers to be the base for the next sauce. It evolves.

By Nate on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:52 am:

i put saurkraut in chili.

By sarah on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 09:27 am:

i had a japanese friend who wouldn't totally mix up his spaghetti and sauce on his plate, because he liked to be able to taste them separately as well as together.

pasta baffles me. it doesn't really taste like anything except wet dough or the sauce it's cooked with or smothered in. and it's about as nutritional as diet coke.

By kazu on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:31 am:

All the tomatoes at Whole Food last night were from either Florida or California.

Fuckers.

I'm going to the farmer's market this weekend.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:56 am:

Why do you all taunt me with your early tomatoes? I have blossoms, and the tiniest little starts of baby tomatoes on my Early Girl. I've got a mix and match thing going on with Beefsteak, Early Girl, Big Boy, Roma, Grape, Heirloom, and cherry. Cherry tomatoes being my least favorite.

We had a mix of gnocchi and spinach ravioli last night -- I was starving and the wife only wanted to cook the ravioli which was the 8 oz. package, and I convinced her to put in the gnocchi. It was good, with Bertolli Tomato & Basil sauce. Had that with garlic bread, made from elephant garlic. I didn't realize it, but elephant garlic is not true garlic -- rather, it's more closely related to the leek family. Them's some big faux garlic!

By patrick on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 11:58 am:

love home made pesto. so you salvaged your basil droop?

using a mortar and pestle to make the garlic paste is essential as the garlic comes out so fragrent but i cant imagine how long it takes you to grind up the basil that way. i see why you dont use pine nuts without a food processor.

last month i made a spinach pesto which was really fantastic.

By droopy on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:13 pm:

it just fell over and rolled off where i couldn't reach it; it wasn't destroyed. a couple of stalks got cut off, so i put 'em water and keep 'em in the kitchen. i also have a couple of "tips" floating in a bowl of water like lily pads.

i used some of it just now to make cheese toast with basil and fresh 'maters.

trick to mortar & pestle pesto: a bottle of wine and a cd of a rossini's "barber of seville".

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 03:06 pm:

Hmm, I should try pesto again. I got pesto'd out a while back when it was the de rigeur thing to have on pasta. Also, I should try my Julia Child's pasta I saw her make one time, and could only kind of remember the ingredients. Basicaly, once the pasta's done, saute a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, throw in some chopped roasted red peppers (pimientos I think they're called in the jar), chopped black olives, chopped walnuts, chopped parsley or basil, until it's all heated through, and then mix into the cooked pasta. I like anchovies in it too. I think there's one more ingredient in there I'm forgetting.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 03:07 pm:

Hmm, I should try pesto again. I got pesto'd out a while back when it was the de rigeur thing to have on pasta. Also, I should try my Julia Child's pasta I saw her make one time, and could only kind of remember the ingredients. Basicaly, once the pasta's done, saute a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, throw in some chopped roasted red peppers (pimientos I think they're called in the jar), chopped black olives, chopped walnuts, chopped parsley or basil, until it's all heated through, and then mix into the cooked pasta. I like anchovies in it too. I think there's one more ingredient in there I'm forgetting.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 03:07 pm:

Hmm, that was weird -- got a file locking error when I posted at first -- never saw that before.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 03:08 pm:

Hmm, maybe I should stop beginning my sentences with "Hmm."

By patrick on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 04:11 pm:

try roasting your own peppers. nothing smells up a kitchen like roasting peppers.

i forgot whats its called but there a pasta dish thats so freakin simple....total poor mans food. saute some garlic in olive oil, dice whatever fresh herb you might have an dtoss in towards the end of the saute and then add breadcrumbs, ideally from stale bread you have in which you've croutini with.

i wish my stomach would let me eat.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 06:49 pm:

Yeah, sometimes there's nothing like aglio & olio. Never tried the breadcrumbs though. What's wrong with your stomach?

By Spider on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 09:59 pm:

Cacio e pepe is great and cheap, too. It's just angel hair and freshly grated parmigiano romano (or, if you're artificially poor like me....brace yourselves....parmesan from a can) and cracked pepper. First toast the peppercorns in a skillet (don't add anything but the peppercorns) and heat on high until they start jumping around. Then put them between two paper towels and roll them with a rolling pin. Toss with the cheese and serve.

I asked my mom to send parmigiano romano once, and she said, "Why don't you just buy it there?"

I said, "Because that's considered a luxury and we're supposed to live simply."

And she said, in all sincerity, "Oh, honey, I feel so sorry for you."

Anyway. Pasta = food of the gods. The earthier gods. I could eat pasta 3 meals a day, 365 days a year. The last few times I've been in Italy, I often ordered this dish called pasta alla boscaiola, which is pasta with a kind of mushroom sauce (mushrooms = other food of the gods), and they put the sauce in a pile on top of the pasta (usually pappardelle). If you ate the pasta without the sauce, the pasta itself was full of robust flavor. It was awesome. I don't know if they added something to the flour or cooked it in some kind of broth instead of water, but it was delicious.

I've made pasta alla carbonara twice this year, and both times it's turned out amazingly. I don't know if it's because I'm not used to eating bacon, but damn, that was good.

I can't bear the smell of roasted peppers (particularly green peppers) or stewed tomatoes. Childhood trauma.

By Dougie on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:52 am:

Carbonara's awesome, but it can get a bit heavy after a while with all the cream, cheese, and bacon.

By patrick on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 01:11 pm:

we make a non-pork version of carbonara. instead of bacon use crispy fried goosed fat thingsy. you know the greasy fatty little things you get when you fry something in a pan. in essence that same thing as bacon only not from a pig which is not allowed in my house.

doug my stomach is being turned inside slowly like the earths rotation because of the bullshit with my ex about my child.

By sarah on Sunday, July 2, 2006 - 12:29 pm:

are you dating a jew? or it's just a health thing?

By patrick on Thursday, July 6, 2006 - 05:39 pm:

neither. its a morality thing.

By jack on Thursday, July 6, 2006 - 07:12 pm:

pig's a filthy animal?

By Nate on Thursday, July 6, 2006 - 07:47 pm:

death is death. pig's a tasty animal. pigs are treated better than fowl before the slaughter, as well. yummy tummy pigs.

this was eye opening. scroll down and check out the two raw pork chops.

By sarah on Friday, July 7, 2006 - 11:18 am:

morality? i don't understand.

i don't think you mean to say you believe it to be morally wrong to eat a pig, or do you?

i've heard many foodies complain about the market for lean pork being an absurd idea, but there are easy food preparation methods that will put the juiciness back in to lean pork and summon its natural flavor. and you still get a lesser amount of animal fat in your diet.

i'm not afraid of animal fat though. who doesn't love a well marbled steak of any kind? only it's probably not a good idea to eat like that every day.

whatever.

did you know that pigs are rated the fourth most intelligent animal?

excluding humans, the top three are apes, then whales/dolphins (i think the scientific class is called Cetaceans), then dogs.

to me, that makes pigs seem pretty smart. but i don't know what the rating system is.

By Nate on Friday, July 7, 2006 - 12:11 pm:

probably scantron tests.

fat is flavor. i can make a sheaf of wheat juicy.

i think crows are smarter than dogs. and pigs. that's why i wouldn't eat crow.

By Czarina on Sunday, July 9, 2006 - 11:35 am:

Pig shit stinks. And it resembles human feces.

Pigs are genetically very similar to people. We can transplant their parts to people, and our bodies don't reject them. We use their skin on burn victims. Here in the south, we also use their skin for cracklins.

I have a penchant for multi-use items.

I could eat steak every day. Medium rare. Uuummmm.

Pigs are also kinda cute, except for their largness. They can be house trained. I too have heard of their amazing intellegence. But, I've also heard that pigs will eat people, which kinda puts a damper on wanting to keep one for a pet.

No one here should eat crow.

By V on Sunday, July 9, 2006 - 09:20 pm:

I saw a bit in the paper about a farmers wife that passed out and fell in a pig pen,eaten to the bone in hours.,I think in England...its odd what animals eat,my cat,"Tia" eats mostly spiders,flys,bees,wasps and beetles,(I dont have mice or rats at my place),but it got 3 birds in 3 weeks.

By V on Sunday, July 9, 2006 - 09:38 pm:

..phew,you need to see it in action,such a Ninja feline.,backward flips are "just part of a days work" for Tia.

By patrick on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 05:17 pm:

"did you know that pigs are rated the fourth most intelligent animal?"

exactly.

their tails wag when they are happy.

it doesnt have to make sense, and im not really in a position to defend the girl's tastes as i admit to not fulling udnerstanding it myself.

By TBone on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 06:05 pm:

The trick is to make sure they're never happy.

By V on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 02:41 pm:

How come bacon smells so good? It is said to be much the same as human flesh.,and the odd thing is,you will often find a pack of bacon at the back of a fridge in a Jewish household, (when I was a young builder,I did a lot of work for Jewish clients),and did a lot of looking in fridges,for milk for my coffee.

By spiracle on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:32 pm:

I heard a pig farmer on tv say that he believed if it wasn't for the fact that pigs were so tasty, most people would prefer to have them as pets..

By Nate on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:47 pm:

sucks to be tasty.

By V on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 05:53 pm:

...how come Jews have a "pack o pigs" at the back of the fridge?

By Nate on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 05:57 pm:

too keep away the muslems?

By V on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 06:19 pm:

Nate,we may laugh,but the price of gas is going up,we both need a propane conversion,it like half the prioe of normal gas.

By Nate on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 06:35 pm:

my truck runs on ethenol. i converted my acres of marijuana greenhouses to grow sugarbeets. i built a big ethenol still in the old red barn. (the barn isn't really red.)

turns out i don't need hundreds of pounds of weed every year, but a thousand gallons of ethenol does me good.

By V on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 01:51 pm:

Nate,its now $10 a gallon in London,and still going up.,thanks to Hezbollah,to give you an Arabic translation,"the party of God".

By sarah on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:34 am:

spiracle

we're having a women's clothes swap at my house - it's been named "Rags to Bitches". i wanted to invite you to come. it's on friday, sept. 22nd starting around 6pm-ish and will probably go all night.

it's far enough away that i wanted to invite you to come, if you're into that sort of thing. getting new clothes (purses, jewelry, etc) for free and getting rid of the stuff you have but don't wear.

anything not claimed in the swap i'll going to drop off at the gigantor goodwill a couple blocks from my house.

also, the weekend before that is ACL fest. like last year, we're only getting tickets for one day - probably saturday. if you're in town for that, let me know.

By sarah on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:41 am:

in gardening news

i went on a two hour bike ride last night and ended up at the community gardens where i used to rent a plot for a year or so.

i went by my old plot. it looked like someone after me at one time very much loved that plot, but forgot about it or gave up when it got too hot.

the rosemary shrub that was there when i took over the plot was still there, almost impossibly, sort of bent over to one side.

also, a flax plant i grew was still there, surviving.

everything is so good and wild at those gardens. so many people had these gorgeous pepper plants and those almost flourescent purple heirloom eggplants that droop down from giant leaves like saggy boobs, in the shape of huge droplets of water. there also was okra growing wild everywhere. it looked as if some plots had no intention of growing okra, but somehow it managed to spread across borders into other garden territories.

that's the stuff that will grow this time of year.

there were lots of tomato plants, of course, but few of them looked very good, which was surprising. the ones at my house are, with little care, flourishing. one is over 6 foot tall now and top-heavy with giant green tomatoes.

being there kinda makes me want to have a plot there again. it's so much work, and so much love, and so calming.

i'm bored.

i need a new hobby.

By spiracle on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:15 pm:

sarah...

thanks for the invite..sorry i tend to drop off from this place in big-month-long-chunks...

how are you enjoying the lower humidity these days? I think the idea of fall being around the corner has put me in a better mood...

this summer has been extremely oppressive...between the heat and mosquitos, my yard has turned into a weedy jungle..

But, I've had hummingbirds (for the first time) and giant swallow tail caterpillars desimating my little lemon tree (they disguise themselves by looking like bird shit...)..

By sarah on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:44 pm:

can someone please email me the link for scrabble?

i accidentally deleted the bookmark (along with a whole bunch of other bookmarks that i'm having trouble recovering...)

thanks!

By V on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 09:29 pm:

Spiracle, v has a Japanese orange tree in the kitchen,I dont let it out at night due to the cold weather.The fruits are so sharp,thay tend to blow your head clean off..,but its o.k. in drinks.

By V on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 03:52 pm:

...mostly vodka..

By sarah on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

for Val, i repeat:

"At last you have departed and gone to the Unseen.
    What marvelous route did you take from this world?

Beating your wings and feathers,
    you broke free from this cage.
    Rising up to the sky
    you attained the world of the soul.
    You were a prized falcon trapped by an Old Woman.
    Then you heard the drummer's call
    and flew beyond space and time.

The wine of this fleeting world
    caused your head to ache.
    Finally you joined the tavern of Eternity.
    Like an arrow, you sped from the bow
    and went straight for the bull's eye of bliss.

This phantom world gave you false signs
    But you turned from the illusion
    and journeyed to the land of truth.

You are now the Sun..."

from Gone to the Unseen, by Rumi

By Daniel on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 01:10 pm:

Inca say we are children of the sun.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact