17 Michaelangelo's "David" reproduction statues in the yard

sorabji.com: Is it art?: 17 Michaelangelo's "David" reproduction statues in the yard
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Absorber on Saturday, November 22, 1997 - 03:05 pm:
    just read about this one in the paper today... don't remember where it's happened. The neighbors are trying to get an ordinance against it or something.

The article didn't say, whether the statues were with or without fig leaf.

---------------------

Sounds like someone trying to shove the barriers a bit. But does that make it art?

Or maybe just get a laugh on some stuffy neighbors. Art?

Or maybe that someone is sincere... maybe they really need those statues there for some mystical reasons the rest of us can only dimly appreciate. Art?

I guess I'd just have to see it to decide.

I am very fond of unusual, personal yard sculpture and decoration (as long as it doesn't encourage rats to nest next door), it makes me happy in a particularly cheering way, it's like a beacon; "there's a soul bright enough to shine" (a phrase which has special meaning for me I won't go into now). Sometimes even a particularly poignant placement and congregation of store-bought yard ornaments will prompt this feeling. I think this feeling is akin to that brought on by the apprehension of art, but I'm not sure whether there's a difference.

Somebody else talk now...

By Casper the Friendly on Tuesday, November 25, 1997 - 03:49 pm:
    I think I know what you mean . . .about that feeling. I think it's the same kind I had while walking the neighborhood here and seeing a particularly cool wooden mailbox creation with moss hanging on the small tree near it. It was a Halloween mood and it still feels like Halloween to me. I'm in New Orleans and it could be the weather. Maybe it is the planets. . . A friend of mine started going to Wiccan 'magic school'. . I asked him what happened after the first class. ..what did he learn?. . .". . .Don't blow' candles out, use something to cup them out.. . but in a real emergency I WOULD blow them out. . .like in case of a fire or something." That's what he said. The classes are $5 and they meet once a week. He also confided in me that there's more to the Wiccans than what meets the eye. . he says "It's an actual path to enlightenment!"

By Ccole on Wednesday, December 3, 1997 - 04:55 am:
    The neighbors claimed the Davids looked "hellish". Seems to me if they don't like them, don't look and be happy they aren't as large as the original.

By Ccole on Wednesday, December 3, 1997 - 04:55 am:
    The neighbors claimed the Davids looked "hellish". If they don't like them, don't look & be happy they are not as alarge as the original.

By Kelsey on Sunday, December 14, 1997 - 01:07 am:
    those hellish damn davids!! sounds like the neighbors themselves are pretty hellish.

By APEman on Saturday, March 14, 1998 - 12:41 am:
    I have a nude David statue in my yard - David Brinkley. The rest of the trailer park residents want me thrown out...

By Pete on Sunday, March 15, 1998 - 03:06 pm:
    There's a neat house here in Arlington...the owner's have it decorated with what looks like dozens of white plastic swans (maybe the infamous pink flamingos spray painted white). The overall color scheme of the house is brown with purple trim and those white birds. Something of a landmark here....

By Arno on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 06:45 am:
    Michaelangelo's David is my favourite ever. Bless the guy who thinks the same! Even repeated, a thing of beauty's still worth sharing with one's "hellish neighbours"

By Kelsey on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 01:42 am:
    someday, i plan to hang bad art all over the outside of my house. it will be fun.

By PetRock on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 06:09 am:
    I used to have a very bad painting in my living room - one of those godawful seascapes that you see advertised at the "starving artist" sales held every 2 minutes at the Marriott.

In front of this painting I inserted a cardboard head & shoulders shot of Liz Taylor (during her diet book writing / I can do it, so can you / rah-rah-rah stage). So it looked like La Liz was lost at sea, or sticking her head up from out of the ocean......

By Kelsey on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 01:55 pm:
    i would hang that on my house. that sounds like it could sell for millions of dollars if you attached the right name to it.

By PetRock on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:13 pm:
    My bastard of an ex-roommate took it when he moved. He was a klepto...continually stole from stores. I was most impressed when he came home with a new ceiling fan...

Yeah, I miss my La Liz painting. It was the very definition of high cheese.

By Christina on Tuesday, April 14, 1998 - 10:14 pm:
    Does anyone have any web site references that they can give me about Michelangelo, Bernini, or Donatello's David? Please?
    My e-mail address is mercedes@rogers.wave.ca. I would GREATLY appreciate it!!*s* thanx

By Yahoo on Wednesday, April 15, 1998 - 11:53 am:
    Whatever happened to search engines?

By Snow Queen on Wednesday, April 15, 1998 - 04:16 pm:
    All that talk about the Davids reminded me of MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING when one of the bridesmaids got a little to close to the ice sculpture. Anyone else remember that goofy scene?

By AQUEELAH GRANT on Tuesday, May 12, 1998 - 05:06 pm:
    I believe that art is one of the best ways to express anger and emotions. Sometimes it can be hard to express anger, so you so put it in words. Or even better draw. I commend all the painters of every century.

By Leslie on Monday, May 18, 1998 - 04:11 pm:
    Art is wonderful! It is the best way to express your emotions toward somewone or thing with out hurting feelings! It is fun and worth you while!

By Nicolementinghotmail.com on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 04:05 pm:
    I am looking for a 8ft Statue of Liberty. Preferably with torch that can be lit.
    Any suggestions?

By PR on Thursday, May 21, 1998 - 06:14 am:
    1. Rent a Statue of Liberty Costume from the local costume shop.

2. Wear platform shoes.

3. Set hand on fire and hold up in the air.

By Josh on Friday, June 5, 1998 - 08:38 am:
    what are all tou losers talking about?

By Mike on Friday, July 31, 1998 - 08:58 pm:
    If Nicole took PR's advice, she could advertise in People Magazine, rent the Astrodome and sell tickets. She would make a fortune and could lease the real thing.

By Maggot on Sunday, August 2, 1998 - 08:00 am:
    make it yourself nicole...

i had a beautiful plastic model of michealangelo's david...it was about 30cm tall
    complete with cigarette burn on his foot

By
Kevin on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 06:02 pm:

i need help. i goto school at the u.s. naval academy, and have an assignment. i need to find out how many variations of the statue of "david" there are. does anyone know?

By Davids Mom on Saturday, August 29, 1998 - 05:34 pm:

There are four (4) variations of "David" Kevin.

Just 4.

Hope you pass your assignment....

By Liam on Thursday, September 10, 1998 - 07:41 pm:

The statutes are in front of a house in the Hancock Park district of Los Angeles. Take Third Street, east from Highland, and they are on the corner, on the right, about 5 or 6 blocks down. You cannot, I repeat, cannot miss them. It's quite a site. Hancock Park is a bit of a WASPy, old money place, and this place reaks of nouveau riche queenery. It's very funny actually.

By And on Saturday, September 12, 1998 - 08:41 pm:

By Panther on Wednesday, February 24, 1999 - 10:15 pm:

i'm doing a project on David at school, and i think it's the best statue i ever saw!

By Sheila on Wednesday, February 24, 1999 - 11:25 pm:

the place once belonged to Sheikh Something or Other, and when he lived there they were painted black.

By Taylor on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:46 pm:

I'm laughing out loud about all the hullabaloo over a nude David statue. What next? Fig leaves for the dogs and cats?

By From a new friend on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

By semillama on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:53 pm:

Does a new friend seriously expect any replies?

By V r3khbvb3gq on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

you guy all suck because you like history. no just kidding. no i was actually kidding but that one too. you guys rally do suck.

By V r3hbvb3gg on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

shit fuck you i hate you damn asholes. yeah, that's about all i have to say. except this; !@3$%^&*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you. aight? fuck you all!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact