jack chick

sorabji.com: Is it art?: jack chick
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cyst on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 02:24 pm:

I have never met anyone who did not like the jack chick tracts. (don't know what I'm talking about? follow the link.)

http://www.chick.com/default.asp

of course, I've never talked to an evangelical christian about them.

I'm sick today and dependent on the web for my entertainment needs, so I've been poking around on delphi.com and have had a good time reading what christians have to say about halloween.

and here and there I've found funny comments on jack chick and on "hell houses" (christian alternative to haunted houses -- they lead you through scenes of eternal torture of non-christians, and at the end they pressure you into accepting jesus christ as your personal savior or whatever). just thought I'd share some.

(I think you can see for yourself at

http://www.delphi.com/bibletopic/messages/?tid=28

but you might have to register first.

"

I don't do halloween but I will be giving out the halloween chick tracts with candy. Have you read the chick comics? They have 4 booklets for halloween.

2) Be careful with the Chick tracts - some of them are quite harsh and can turn-off unbelievers (especially Catholics). I believe the Chick tracts speak the truth, I am just not sure they do it in love. In fact, there is an anti-Chick web site out in the world wide web where people make fun of the tracts. There are other tracts that are better (IMHO). Bridge to LIfe comes to mind.

[ed. note: turn off unbelievers??? I think they're grrrr-eat! (though I haven't been convinced yet.]

I have noticed that some of the Chick tracts are a little harsh. Sure they are true, but I agree with you that they could be a little more gentle.

I've heard about the "Hell houses", but I've never gone through one. They might get kids scared and looking into the things of God. We don't have anything like that in the town
    where we live.

[ahahahaha. wouldn't want to get the kids looking into the things of god or anything like that! I know fundies make easy targets. I should stop now.]

By Cyst on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 02:33 pm:

you know, as I typed that last message, I had a memory of going into some "haunted house" once and seeing a really bloody aborton scene. I went back to delphi.com and found that that is probably typical.

have any of you gone into a hell house?

"We have a Hell House in my area every year. I went twice last year and so did my neice and nephew. I didn't think it was too graphic. I thought it was very well done actually. The pro-life one was done very well. I don't see how it can scare you into salvation though. Any prime time program on T.V. is much more graphic though I think Hell house should be for kids over the age of 5 yrs. There was only one skit my nephew age 12 did not like and that was the date rape skit. The rest wasn't that bad."

By Rhiannon on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

You know, I didn't know that as a Catholic I am an unbeliever. But I am turned off, so maybe they're right?

By Simon on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 05:28 pm:

I was on another website a few months ago. They'd had a contest where you had to provide your own dialogue for existing Jack Chick tracts. They posted the the rewritten versions on the site. It was absolutely hilarious.

I'll try to locate it and post the address here.

By Simon on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 05:45 pm:

By Gee on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 01:38 am:

wow... Okay, so first I went to the chick thing and read a couple of them and, uh, I thought they were jokes. Now I'm not so sure. Are they supposed to be jokes or is he serious? Then I went to delphi, and it was a little...weird.

Seriously, the people there scared me a little. And I don't mean that in a trying-to-be-humorous way, either. It was a little creepy the way they seemed to believe Everything they'd ever been told about christianity and what the bible said. There didn't seem to be any room for debate. I'm not saying All Christians are like this...obviously they're not...just that this group of people seemed almost brainwashed. Like zombies.

I always thought people who had strong faith must be very happy, but I didn't sense any happiness or any kind of emotion at All from the people writing these notes. They just seemed dead. I wondered if they were just clutching onto religion because they didn't have anything else going in their lives. Of course I may just be assuming too much. I've never had anything against people with strong faith and wotnot (how could I? I have my own very strong beliefs), just...there was something very creepy about these people. Did you get that impression at all, Cyst, or am I being judgemental?

By Wisper on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 03:29 am:

I love the jack chick tracts. I've been going to that page regularily for damn close to 2 years now. My favorite is the one where there's 2 little girls and one is telling the other about her new best friend, Jesus. It's too good. Pages from their Halloween tracts have been my Windows wallpaper several times. I love their warped view of what Buddhism is about. I love their condemnation of Islam because the Koran has one little ecological mistake in it, *cough* bible *cough*.
    I was given a tract once at Halloween. I was small at the time, I wish I had kept it. Some hand-drawn thing...about how the only real ghost in the world was a spirit...the holy spirit.
    These people amuse me to the point of being terrified.
    Lemme raid my bookmark file for a sec here....

http://www.gothatesfags.com
    the classic

http://www.av1611.org/tracts.html
    this is where they play rock songs backwards so you can hear the "satanic messages", in blessed RealAudio! you *must* hear these.

http://www.cfnweb.com
    from South Park to Disney movies, no-one is save!

http://www.jesusdance.com

see ya in hell....

By Cyst on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 04:14 am:

jack chick may not be for real anymore. maybe it has turned into a money-driven enterprise instead of just bad comics for the fear of god.

the people on the delphi list are for real. they seem wholly sincere to me. I found another good quote:

"My main problem, I suppose, is that my mind stops working when [deists] start shooting this verse, and that verse, and try to mumble you up with so called science. I know it is the Devil keeping me from thinking clearly, so it takes me a while to respond sometimes, then they say, well you must not be sure if it is taking you this long to answer, or something like that."

I know it is wrong to make fun of fundamentalist christians -- not because they're in the right or deserve special respect, but because there is obviously no challenge in finding humor in the words of people who feel they must believe that the whole of the bible is literally true.

but still.

By Cyst on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 04:51 am:

hey, rhiannon, I wouldn't bother posting to the delphi thread:

"THE MODERATOR IS EDITING THIS POST TO TELL EVERYONE NEW THAT THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR DISCUSSING WHAT IS "WRONG" WITH THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINE. IT IS NOT A PLACE FOR ROMAN CATHOLICS TO "DEBATE" THEIR RELIGION VERSUS CHRISTIANITY. -- PAULA"

By Cyst on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

man, reading shit like this makes me glad that I never say, "in my opinion," try to strip most of the "I think"s out of posts, and want to avoid "seems" and "apparently" in future posts.

Hi Stacy.

Sorry if anything I said offended you. I didn't mean anything nasty, if that's the way it came out :-)

And I'm sorry for assuming you were an unbeliever. I thought you said that in your previous post. You said you weren't a Christian, and I always thought that meant someone was an unbeliever. At least that's what the Bible calls it, I believe.

In Christ,
    Paula

By Mike on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:18 pm:

Hey,
    You know it's so cool to make fun of people. When people try to help you and they insult you, did you think that maybe they didn't mean to. Perhaps you know that what they are saying is right, and you don't what to admit it. The problem with the world and people who hate Christians ( I mean real Christians, who read the bible, and follow it) is that they seem to contradict themselves: if what the Christians and the bible are saying is really false, why do you care so much about it? People wouldn't insult and hate christians if they were wrong. I mean some people hate muslims, but not because they always try to help like the Christians are trying to ,but because some think that muslims want to kill them. People use the word Fundamentalist, in describing Christians and Muslims, when they are completely different. These definitions are one of many problems. Jesus Christ said " Father forgive them , for they know not what they do." While he was dying! If that isn't love I don't know what is! I'm a christian who simply believes that the bible is the truth, and that Jesus Christ is "the Way , the Truth and the Life, and no one comes to the father except through Me." If you don't believe this then , you can still believe it, but there will come a time when as only God knows, that it will be too late.Ask Jesus Christ about it. The antichrist is coming and the world will follow him , but Jesus Christ's disciples will die instead of following the antichrist.Many will think antichrist is Jesus Christ. Please don't believe it!

By wisper on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:36 pm:

"they always try to help like the Christians are trying to"

uh-huh.
    They're not trying to "help". They're doing what they have to do to stay out of hell. Fundamentalist Christians just happen to believe that turning other people over to jesus will save them too. That's not helping. Being nice and helpful to everyone when you've got a gun to your head (going to hell) isn't worth much.

Scientology and other cults are 'just trying to help' people too.

"People use the word Fundamentalist, in describing Christians and Muslims, when they are completely different."

how are they different?
    Fundamentalist -adj : (theology)
    A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

"If you don't believe this then... there will come a time when as only God knows, that it will be too late.Ask Jesus Christ about it. The antichrist is coming"

See, THIS is maybe why people don't like hard-core christians. A perfectly normal conversation can be had, but then BAM, onto the end times prophecy stuff. Surely you must understand how this can turn people off.

By V.v. on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:22 pm:

The world is full of anti-Christians,with millions to choose from,what one is THE true anti-Christ?,is he Mogolian,German,Russian,Chinese,Arabic? is it Male or Female...one person or many?human or non human,white or black...and how can we be convinced we have found the correct anti-Christ when both Hitler and Saddam both used doubles?...an anti-Christ that claimed to be "the one and only" would end up in a secure psychiatric hospital,(unless he was a Muslim liveing in a remote village consisting of no more than 50 inhabitants in Iran)

By Spider on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:43 pm:

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:02 am:

By V.v. on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:03 pm:

Spider...two good clips that affirm the idea that a Anti-Christ can only exist as a fragmented entity.In order to kill,a virus must consist of many parts.In time it will change and adapt to any new enviroment and as such is eternal,(that,like it or not, is more than you can say of the Vatican)...but when Humanity has had enough pain,it will fight back.

By wisper on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:50 pm:

will you have internet access in Montanta spider?
    I'll miss you.

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

Aw, thanks, Wisper. I don't know if I will have internet access or not.

By wisper on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:59 pm:

oh crap, we could be coming up to our last few weeks with Spider?! *freak out*

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:53 pm:

I know, man....I'm coming up to my last two weeks with you guys! I've been posting here since I was 18, and the boards kept me from despairing all throughout my crazy periods. What will I do without you all?Q?

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:55 pm:

But I'll only be gone for 11 months. And I'll have holidays off. Don't panic! Don't panic!

By patrick on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

when the antichrist comes, can he stop and grab an asspocket bottle of whisky and a pack of smokes? thanks.

By Gee on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:33 am:

wait, I didn't know that going to Montanna meant you couldn't stay with us. I think you should change your plans and stay here with us. those people don't need you - we need you.

I don't adjust well to change.

By semillama on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:27 pm:

Spider-

Post updates from the local public library, at least. We need you.

By V.v. on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:04 pm:

So non-posting is not an option.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact