Try to undersatnd, try to understand, try try try to understand...He's a Magic Man

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Try to undersatnd, try to understand, try try try to understand...He's a Magic Man
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 11:59 am:

Swine says his neighbour thinks David Blaine is like the second coming or something. I saw this cat on the old tv last night, and I have to admit I became a slackjawed yokel.
    My god, I was genuinely flabbergasted, flummoxed and astounded.
    And he's so personable.
    And so cute.

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 12:06 pm:

Who?

I don't have a television.
    Please help the media-challenged.

Oh, yeah, and good title.

By J on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 02:11 pm:

Then he must not be the weasle with a mustache and the wife who looks like Tammy Fay with the pink hair,a cheap knock- off of Tammy.Oh God!!! In the name of Jesus Christ ...Satan I rebuke you!!!!!!

By Swine on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 02:22 pm:

my neighbor is a certified david blaine nut.
    apparently she knows someone who knows someone who was in his first special where he actually levitated (yes, levitated) in front of a group of people in the village.
    i've talked to people who have seen him around the city and tell me they've witnesseed him commit all sorts of reality-defying madness.

watching his shows kinda spooks me out.

i sincerely hope it's all slight of hand and television trickery, cuz no one on this earth should be able to do any of that shit.

anyway.

i dunno what the hell is going on with that man, but whatever it is it aint right.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 02:32 pm:

Have you ever been flipping around the channels
    and come across the station that seems to have
    nothing but people frowning and closing their eyes
    on camera?

Lord's mercy, doesn't the bible tell you to pray
    in secret?! Fundamentalists, indeed.

Though it may be in secret, because it's not like
    anyone watches that station anyway.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 02:39 pm:

Re: levitation. It's not like David Copperfield's
    tricks are classified secrets. Where can I see
    this Mr. Blaine, anyhow?

That aside, anyone (like the before-mentioned
    Robert Tilton) who charges his congregation for
    prayers, indulgences, or miracles is committing a
    sin known as simony, and therefore is in leagues
    with the old guy below, rather than the old guy
    above.

Jesus, one may recall, always worked his magic for
    free.

By Swine on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 03:28 pm:

david copperfield doesn't walk around manhattan doing impromptu performances sans props.

david blaine does. or at least it looks like he does on television. (i've never seen him live in action).

anyway, it's all illusion.

i just have no idea how he pulls it off.

you can find david blaine at your friendly neighborhood search engine.

try google.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 03:54 pm:

Oh, THAT guy! What the hell was I thinking about?
    (I must have manic street preachers on the
    brain...)

I've seen him too. Not the levitation but his
    card/parlor tricks.

Swine, there's a link that kind of explains (kind
    of) the levitation, but for some reason it doesn't
    work when I post it, but if you haven't already
    seen it, type in:

frontpage.hughes.net/scottp/magic/Essays/david_bla
    ine_.htm

By Waffles on Sunday, August 22, 1999 - 12:47 pm:

the fantasies portrayed on cable these days never cease to amaze me.......................i wish i knew who you were talking about

By J on Monday, August 23, 1999 - 10:52 am:

I saw the Ricky Nelson story on VH1 last night,poor Ricky,who would have thought his Dad was an asshole?

By Cyst on Monday, August 23, 1999 - 02:43 pm:

magic man is my favorite cheap portland tavern jukebox song.

By Waffles on Monday, August 23, 1999 - 08:40 pm:

i just found out they closed one of my favorite haunts in atlanta to make way for condominiums...The Stein Club...they always had the best juke in town and served a cheap pitcher of Bass...I think my favorite song on that machine was either TvEye or Horror Business........

By Wisper on Tuesday, August 24, 1999 - 03:20 pm:

wow, there's a real David Blaine vibe out this week or something, just finished a camping trip where most of the fire conversation was centered around the magical Mr.Blaine.
    I love that guy
    That guy scares the fuck out of me

I saw his tv special where he levitated, twice. It was spooky as fuck. The first time was in front of these two women. One of them started to cry. The next time was infront of some tattoo/peircing place. He showed one of his super incredible card tricks first, causing most of the artists to run screaming down the street.

Someone at the campfire mentioned he knew someone who could levitate as well, and tried to explain how it was done. Fuck. Bastard. I believed. For once I really believed. Too much Zen reading, I guess.

there is no Tooth Fairy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact