Anti-Hero Art

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Anti-Hero Art
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
The Anti-Fukkn-Hero on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 02:56 pm:

By J on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:18 pm:

I sent away for the books.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

J, you should listen to the band Mule -- pure white trash blues at its best. It's like the soundtrack to swilling beer on your back porch with a rifle laying across your lap just in case one of your neighbors happen to to "drop by". They kick ass.

By Semillama on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 08:42 pm:

The supreme white trash act is Nothin' but Trash from Lexington - the female vocalist is Jim Warney's ex-wife and they have songs with tiles like:
    -Trashy trailer Park Friend
    -48-24-36 Lovin'
    -Momma was a Heavy Equipment Operator
    and my favorite - The Tucker Family
    the chorus goes like this:
    Oh Shit
    MotherFucker
    Goddamn
    Son of a Bitch

You really need to hear the song to truly appreciate it, done in classic "hillbilly" style complete with jaw harp.

Complete trash country about cheap sex, violence and political incorrectness, gotta love it.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 10:28 pm:

Dude, I gotta get me some of that! Is it easy to find, or am I going to have to dig for it?

I'm listening to Mule's first album right now and kicking myself, because there are 2 songs that you really should hear that I didn't give you.

One's called "Drown" -- not all that trashy -- and there's this really neat part that has these very tense, suspenseful, building guitars...and the words are something like:

Devil with a knife for me [that's what it sounds like]
    Comes out at rest
    As a boy I could lay my head on my mother's breast
    And my savior's words to use to comfort me there
    Are the same words that now have me caught in the devil's snare
    Every night I pray the Lord will pull me from this lake
    (and the rest I can't understand...he's just bawling)

But the "devil's snare" line is awe-inspiring when you hear it. The whole song's really kind of thrilling, actually!

Then the other song "I'm Hell" is VERY trashy, and there's a part that goes:

I had a little girl (I'm a bad man)
    She liked to tease and flirt (whoa, momma)
    Brian said she let him have a peak up her skirt
    Well, I just played it cool (didn't say nothing)
    Let him joke and jest (real hard)
    Till, my God, I set bail and walked
    And sent them both up to their rest
    Well, I admit it, I'm Hell
    I walked in His grace but I fell

...and it's howled/snarled in the best cigarettes-and-whiskey voice...just perfect.

By Semillama on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 07:54 pm:

A freind made a copy for me. He tells me that Jim Varney is a mean drunk and is constantly getting his ass kicked, which is one reason his wife left him.

I can copy the whole tape he gave me, if you want some authentic mountain music fromthe kentucky/Tennessee border as well.

"She had hair piled up, and kickin' boots , and tits as big as your head...She's the cutest thing I ever did see, she's my trashy trailer park friend."

By Gee on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 02:05 am:

Are you talking about Ernest? I refuse to hear a word against Ernest!!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 03:05 pm:

Hey, Sem...how's this for a deal:

if you like the two Mule songs on your mix, I'll make you a copy of their stuff plus songs from PW Long's other band (he's Mule's singer/guitarist)...and you can make me a copy of that Nothin' But Trash. This sound good?

By Semillama on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 10:53 pm:

fine by me.

sorry to shatter your cherished "Hey, Vern!" memories, gee. But it's all true. When I was in Lexington, we stopped by the Thoroughbred restaurant where he drinks, but it was Sunday so it was closed. The Thoroughbred has a waitress named Spike, who had part of asong written about her and the THoroughbred by Nothing But Trash.

By the way, Lexington is one of the nicest cities I have visited in a long time. It's on the short list of places I could enjoy living.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact