Art Brut

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Art Brut
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 09:39 pm:

By Cat on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 10:18 pm:

Love it...especially the boxing kangaroo. Actually, the way he uses dots remind me of the Australian aboriginal sand paintings. Are you sure he's not a bloke in disguise?

By Nelly on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 10:25 pm:

Very fine. My favorite is the sewing machine. I don't know about the origin of the dots; lots of people have dots. The bunny is frightening.

By Jay on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 11:28 pm:

great stuff. my favorite is the penguin. how much? love the dog pissing on the fire hydrant too.

By semillama on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 02:55 pm:

email him at artbrut69@hotmail.com, tell 'em Andy Sewell sent you. Many of his paintings are priced at $69.69.

Ed's not a bloke, but this weird punk-rock free spirit with a hidden sad core. One of the top ten people I like to spend time with. He has little inhibitions, but in a peculiar innocent way for a man in his late 30s. Ed was also the drummer for the Muldoons, aN Upper Peninsula (Michigan) punk band that secretly ruled the planet.

I plan on acquiring some of his work if I ever manage to become well -off enough to afford a space with enough walls for them.

By Jay on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 08:58 pm:

thanks. is that 69 bucks for the actual painting or a print? i guess i'll email him and ask. buy some even if you don't have anywhere to hang it.
    life sucks without good art.

By Spider on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 09:24 pm:

He was a Muldoon? Cool!

Did he decide to call his art "art brut" or did someone else...that's really cute. I like the snowblower guy.

By Kalliope on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 08:37 am:

i dig the paintings.

he's pretty cute too. how bout hookin me up sem?

i can be a punk rock free spirit with a sad core.

i can be anything. (insert american hero theme music here)

By Jay on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 10:56 am:

He sort of reminded me of adam sandler in one of those pictures.
    i'm trying to think of how the "American Hero" theme went but all that comes to mind is this screwed up hybrid song that combines the theme from "Alice" with that of "Laverne and shirley".
    sort of;
    "she's the new girl in town and she's feelin' good, blah blah blah, we're gonna do it!"

By Kalli on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

add "mooovin on uppp to tha east side..." and you have yerself a new sitcom.

american hero went like...

"believe it or not, im walking on air, never believed i'd feel this freee eee eeee"

blah blah

who could it be...

believe it or not...

its just meeeeeee

By Jay on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 03:49 pm:

thank christ. thats been driving me nuts all day. now i can sing it and drive everyone i know absolutely nuts.
    believe it or not i'm walking on air......
    thanks Kalli.
    remember the theme to BJ and the bear?

By moonit on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 03:55 pm:

We had that show here. But I can't remember it.

I went to this sad club a while ago and they played the Greatest American Hero song and everyone in the bar sang.

Should i be proud or embarassed I remembered all the words?

By moonit on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 03:56 pm:

I meant to say also that I loved the dog and fire hydrant pic.

By Kalliope on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 04:12 pm:

i don't think i ever saw bj and the bear.

i used to be able to tell the time of day by when dr. who was on though.

have you seen this robot wars thing they have on pbs yet? clinton and i watched it the other night and i was cracking up. i used to be a huge fan of british tv stuff. the dude from red dwarf is hosting this robot wars thing...which is sort of like that show gladiator....

oh hell. i give up.

theres a pair of plaid doc martens on ebay and i want em bad.

godammit.

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 04:15 pm:

as I am a compulsive anal retentive person I loathe it when asked "remember the theme" because I cannot think of anything else til I remember it. Luckily for me I have never seen BJ and the bear, was he a real bear or just the name of BJ's friend? Who was BJ? Was it like Petticoat Junction? Dukes of Hazzard? Didn't watch those either so that was pretty pointless. The only BJ i know is the one from MASH - now that theme I do remember.

By Mavis on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 05:12 pm:

i thought the greatest american hero song was like this
    "believe it or not i'm walking on air
    i never thought i could feel so
    free---eee--eeee
    flying away
    a wing and a prayer
    who could it be.......
    believe it or not it's just me"
    i used to watch that show a lot but i can't remember it except for the song...plus that's guys awesome hair.

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 05:39 pm:

dont get me started on Dr Who, I remember watching that on BBC it would freak me out, I was very young remember. There were 4 doctors up til I left the UK, I loved the guy with the long scarf, did anyone see the episode where they all came together? Red dwarf is great, love cat, here we go again, back on the cat subject. What was the series with Patrick McGoohen (sp) the guy on the island who could never get of? And those weird bubble things floating on the water. Every house was wired. Dang, hate it when I forget good stuff like that. Okay, I remembered, it was "The Prisoner" cool show. One of the Dr Who characters was also in the James Herriott series, about animal docs set before ww2. That was a good series too. WE ARE THE DARLEKS, YOU WILL SURRENDER....... now its the Borg, what goes around comes around. Resistence is futile.

By PeriPheral on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 05:48 pm:

There was a Seinfeld episode where George used that song for his answering machine message:
    "Believe it or not,
    George isn't at home.
    (I really wanted to take your call-all-all.)?
    Believe it or not,
    I'm not home."

I watched Greatest American Hero a lot, too, but I can't remember much about it. I do remember him flying into trees, bushes, and trash a lot. How did he get his super powers?

By Naked Bill on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 06:48 pm:

He was an experimental test tube baby. .33 Wonder Woman, .33 Corky, .33 Eddie the Eagle and .1 jr. mint. I hated everything about that show except for Connie Sellica that is untill she married John Tesh. Now shes on the list. What happened to Christopher Cross?

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

okay, I give up, what the hell is Greatest American Hero about? I have no clue.

By Mavis on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 06:55 pm:

hey sem--remember when i lived in a tipi on the proprty of art brut and cynbad?
    that was so nice......a very mosquito-ey summer though.

By semillama on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 08:32 pm:

yes it was.

I just loved it when the Daileks would go "Annihilate!! ANNIHILATE!!"

By far, Dr. Who was the best sci-fi series ever. I wish they would show it here on the sci-fi channel. When my dad was on sabbatical in Mpls when I was a kid, he bought our families first VCR and taped all the Monty Python and Dr. Who episodes that were on PBS at the time, which amounted to a huge collection of both. Man, I was hooked from day one on both. I think they really contributed to my entire worldview.

Now I want to spend the next week doing nothing but watching Dr. WHO!!!!!!

btw, Tom Baker plays the king of the Elves in the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons movie.

By semillama on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 08:33 pm:

Did I mention how much I think the Dr. Who theme and opening credits rocked totally?

Fuck am i a geek!

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 09:48 pm:

duduladoom, duduladoom, duduladoom, dah dah, now thats the theme. hum it a few times in your head, Dr Who......

By moonit on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 10:25 pm:

We've got repeats on here at the moment.

nah nah nah nah

By Jay on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 10:59 pm:

never got into dr. who.
    i do like The Young Ones.
    "Vivian, you complete bastard!"
    Biro, BJ and the Bear was this show about this trucker guy with a really bad haircut (rivaling that of Kevin Bacons even) and he had this chimpanzee that rode around with him in the truck. his name was Bear. hence BJ and the Bear.
    they'd ride around and have adventures. sort of like Knight Rider meets Smokey and the Bandit.

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 11:00 pm:

I am moving in. NOW.

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 11:14 pm:

There you go again, who the hells bells and buckets of blood are the Young Ones. The best british comedy was Fawlty Towers.

By Biro on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 11:22 pm:

Tom Baker - he was the guy with the long scarf, remember that army guy who was a "good" guy but really got on your wick with his smarmy-ness. But who was the real baddy? Remember his name? I do, but am not gonna tell, Dr Who was always battling him.

By NZA on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 01:31 am:

The Young Ones was my favourite program ever when I was at high school. They used to play it really late at night because there were lots of off colour jokes about Felicity Kendal.

I like the one where they did the laundry.

SPG rocked!

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 01:42 am:

Brigadier Lethbrige-Stewart? Is that the army guy you're thinking of? He more or less straddled the third and fourth doctors as I recall.

And the Master, the evil Time Lord.

As a young teenager, I was all about Leela in that skimpy outfit. It was a bit of a trip seeing Peter Davidson transition from Tristan on All Creatures Great and Small to Doctor Who.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 02:07 am:

Vince loved Dr. Who.

people at work keep asking me "What do you do monday nights now that the gay soap opera is over?"

sad.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 08:09 am:

The Young Ones was awesome. Ever see any of Alexei Sayle's shows -- he was the landlord on Young Ones? I only saw one, it was kind of a variety show, he's wacked.

By Jay on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 08:32 am:

have you ever seen the movie "bad news". it's like the guys from the young ones as a heavy metal rock band. funniest shit ever. theres a scene that they actually filmed at Monsters of Rock or some shit where they get up on stage and suck so bad the crowd riots and they all get the shit beat out of them.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 09:22 am:

fawlty towers isnt the best british. black adder. it has rowan atkinson in it...the guy from mr bean. (speaking of which i can do a faultless mr. bean impression---it's really good when some doofus is trying to pick you up at a bar--it deters any man with common sense from sleeping with me--and the ones that it doesn't scare away are the ones i should be sleeping with anyway)

anyway. i was saying. black adder is the best.

i watched Down By Law last night. has anyone seen it? it has tom waits in it.

goddamn he's a sexy man.

By Skooter on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 01:10 pm:

Ed is someone that I love very much. He has a tebdency to freak me out and make me laugh at just about any time. The first time I saw him he was wearing a bathing suit from the 1920's. He is an inspiration to all, and if he shows himself at a local concert, look out. Furniture will be flying, pnats will be coming off, I guess I should make my band learn Kill City, because he is always begging me to play it. Tom Waits and Down By Law is one fantastic movie. "I'm a cooking a nice a rabbit."

By Biro on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

I bow to your better judgement, yes, Black Adder was superior.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 03:58 pm:

I love the episode in Fawlty Towers where Cybil is complaining to Basil to lower the volume on the music and she screams at him to "turn down the racket." And Basil screams back, "But it's Brahms! Brahms' 3rd Racket!"

By Biro on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 11:02 pm:

The cat hairball one is my favorite.

By NZA on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 12:58 am:

eew - that was gross, my stomach still churns when I think of it.

The first two series of Blackadder were the best.

I think we still have them all on tape somewhere.

When they showed the fourth series TV1 cut out about 20% of each episode to fit in more ads. Everyone sent in turnips with 20% missing, and pictures of the Mona Lisa with the 20% cut off. Eventually they reshowed the whole series in a really late slot with all the missing bits restored.

NZ TV has more ads than anywhere in the world.

By Kalliope on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 08:31 am:

my mother, she tell the rabbit, my mother, good rabbit, good rabbit, and POW, my mother she break the neck of the rabbit.

my mother.

By The hand of budda on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

mother may be re-incarnated as a rabbit.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact