Whats In Your CD Player- Right Now.

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Whats In Your CD Player- Right Now.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter Bungle. on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

RUBY- Salt Peter- Sem got me into this band. Leslie Rankin has an awesome voice. The music sounds like a darker and more pissed off Garbage. Highly recommended!

By Platypus on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 07:48 pm:

Ohmigod! Someone else likes Ruby! I'm so excited!

By Skooter Bungle on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 09:25 pm:

Hell Ya! Sem is a big fan as well. What is your favorite song? I like Parhafin.

By Platypus on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

Me too...

By semillama on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

I actually like her song on Pigface's Notes from Thee Underground the best. What the hell has she been doing lately anyway?

By pez on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

?

i've never heard of these bands before, but i'm sure they're worth checking out.

am listening to fig dish. two of the members went on to start caviar, so the sound is familiar to me. i think i'll check out some cds from the library (from which i'm typing) today.

By Zeph on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

my cd player right now.

ministry, the mind is a terrible thing to taste.

their best cd, by my standards (then again, i've only heard that and parts of bad blood...so...yeah.)

whaddya know, pez and i are both posting from the library! yay.

By patrick on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

indie rock college radio, sounds like rocket from the crypt but i just cant be sure.

By Nate on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

miles davis - sorcerer

the track "nothing like you"

it freaks me out

like porkrinds and car crashes and giant vegetables in peoples asses

somehow, over time, i've come to enjoy it

By Dougie on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

In my cd player right now is: (drumroll...)

Bach Goldberg Variations, Glenn Gould 1955
    Dvorak Piano Trios, Kim/Ma/Ax
    Prokofiev Waltz Suite
    Bill Evans, Jazz Round Midnight
    (the fifth slot lies open)

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

I have some damn thing by Bill Laswell in the player Im not even sure what and next up will be Harvey Danger and then Jefferson Aireplane.

By Platypus on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 08:33 pm:

Jefferson Airplane ROCKS.

By Skooter on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 09:20 pm:

Just wanted to say that Ministry Mind album is also one my favorites. "Do you belive in Angels? NO."
    Right now I have an early album by Monster Magnet caLled Superjudge in their. It's their best one, the one with black ballon and cage around the sun on it. Love Miles, but he can get mighty Phreaky.

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

I am with Crimson and were playing gospel music now. Old style like most folks dont even know is around any more this is SacredHarp music record in Alabama in the 1960 now they got it on CD the group doesnt even have a name. She sing alto and I do tenor but as a boy I sung alto til my voice change over. We are doing Davids Lamentation and Halleluha and Soar Away with the CD we are singing real fasola, thats what old folks call Sacred Harp cause of the notes (FA SO LA) which is how you learn to sing it. Crimson is real into this music fliped her shit when she found out I know how to do it. If you are not back woods as hell you probly don't know this kind of music. Uncle Pug is into it too. I also been listning to Jefferson Airplane all day and they really do kick ass, Link Wray and Little Richard too. Fun. Now if we could just get Little Richard to cover White Rabbit.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 12:33 am:

"Long Tall Alice"

ONE PILL MAKES YOU LARGER!

AND ONE PILL MAKES YOU SMALL!

BUT THE PILLS YO MAMA GIVES YOU
    THEY DON'T DO NUTHIN' AT ALL!

GO ASK ALICE! OOH-OOH-OOH
    GO ASK A-A-A-ALICE!
    GO ASK ALICE, WHEN SHE'S-A TEN FEET TAAALL!

By pez on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 12:44 am:

at home: cibo matto, ekova and fatboy slim. but you prb'ly knew that already.

By dave. on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:20 am:

residents - mark of the mole

By Nate on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:06 am:

freak.

By dave. on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:49 am:

pussy.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 05:13 am:

it's 4 fucking 25 a.m.

i'm listening to glenn gould. the goldberg variations. the same one dougie mentioned earlier. i think this is variatio 16.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 06:16 am:

It's 5 fucking 20 A.M. I fall asleep at Crimsons place and my folks were supose to come pick me up but I crashed so hard they just left me here to sleep. My Daddy (Pilate) will be back in a few hours to get me. Now I am listning to Tom Waits and Union Underground and a James Bond sound track.

By Pug on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 08:46 am:

That Sacred Harp shit boils the brain----not since John & Exene (Hell----long BEFORE)----singing in keys unknown to mankind....twisted.
    New Toadies. Harvey Danger, "King James Version".

By semillama on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 10:38 am:

My friend Justin's new disc, "Roam". Great stuff. Mastered by the same guy who does Wilco, and similar in sound in ways. Bob Glaub and Fritz Lewak played on it. Justin has an awesome deep voice, all his own style. He has more talent in his dingleberries than I have in my entire body.

By Skooter on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 10:58 am:

Hey what Tom waits are you listening to Oswald? He's one of my favorites. Probably I like Bone Machine the best, but Rain Dogs is good, and Franks Wild Years is my favorite album to get drunk to.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

hey Oswald, if you dig the 60s Link Ray/Little Richard sound....see if Crimson has any Small Faces or The Pretty Things...or surly she has some Kinks on hand. I could see you diggin them

By Zeph on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

um, oswald, if you like quasi-metal like UU, well...

um

go get some madball and biohazard
    and maybe...glassjaw, or something like that

stampin ground is also very very good. (although they're really more skin-oi music)

skooter: does oldschool monster magnet sound like their newish stuff? i really dont like their new stuff. at all. however, that's also the only monster magnet i've heard.

my sis and i have been listening to afi quite a bit, lately...the misfits should grab him for the vocals bit...he's way better than graves, and gives more respect to the danzig era

Mister bungle...sigh. great stuff. my sis has that first album, but she has this thing that she HATES it when i like the same music she does and she refuses to let me buy albums that she has or by an artist she likes...

yet i still let her take my excessive force cd, and i didnt give a golly darn when she followed me to listening to depeche mode, and other great 80s stuff...sigh.

the guy who runs chess club at my school is pretty cool. he has friends that know earth crisis, and he listens to punk and hardcore...hehe. now i have even more of a reason to skip computer club and go to chess! (the computers broke, so no more UT, so some kid brings in N64 and super smash bros, which sux

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

The Tom Waits was Franks Wild Years. Crimson has old Kinks stuff their cool I like all kind of old music rockabily and surf all that shit. I almost like it beter than todays music and I like classic rock too even tho people call it red neck rock. Crimson listen to that stuff all the time and people give her hell but, she dont care. Its cool to talk to Crimson she was around when some classic rock bands were still a new thing I can not imagine hearing the Who and having it be a new top 40 kind of thing. Like I wonder about the mood of the times and stuff. And funk too like Isac Hayes or some body like that. I think it would have been real fun to grow up in the 1960's and 1970's real good music. But then you did not have Nine Inch Nails or Nirvana or Manson so that mite be a kinda drag. Listening to Prodagy and Neil Young now and old Simon and Garfunkel. Maybe I was born into the wrong time. Crimsons got stuff that is only on record not CD we put it on the turn table and it seem so old style.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:34 pm:

remember that band Sick of it All?

talk about cheesy-alpha-male-quasi-metal....

By pez on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:48 pm:

i should listen to rhi's tapes again. because now i recognize more names but i don't really remember the sounds.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

I didnt say that UU was like my fave band or any thing. I was just listning to them Crimson say that their lyrics are dumb and they are but we both kinda like the song South Texas Death Ride. Its like one of the few good thing on that album they are a OK live band tho beter live than in the studio for sure. I dig Manson tho people say he is not real metal but that does not mater to me I just like what he is sayen. People can be such snots about music there is something for every one it doesnt mater how shitty a band is there will be some body out there who likes it. My God there are people who like the Back Street Boys. Realy I like all kinds of stuff not just one thing. I gived UU a chance cause they were kinda fun live but the CD is maybe not the best and the lyrics ARE pretty dumb.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:01 pm:

Do it!

Mahalia Jackson - best of
    Led Zep - houses of the holy
    Soul Side - soon come happy

Speaking of cheesy-alpha-male-quasi-metal, I like Led Zepellin more than I want to admit.

Remember "Sex-Type Thing" by Stone Temple Pilots? The supposedly tongue-in-cheek date-rape song? Do any of you know of any girl-fronted bands or female singers who have covered it?

By Spider on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

Er, I meant "do it!" as in, "Pez, yes! Listen again!"

That is all.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

5 CD Changer:

Karl Denson
    John Scofield
    Soundtrack to O' Brother Where Art Though
    Beth Orton
    David Byrne

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

do you think of Led Zepplin that way? I don't deny the alpha male aspect....but i consider them quality as opposed to what zeph referred to above.

You know a while back...as a teen...i refused to acknowledge the greatness in such seemingly "mainstream" bands like Zepplin, Stones, Beatles and whatnot. But you know I grew out of that and learned to appreciate them for what they are....damn good rock and roll.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

i admit: when i got my first bass at 15, i learned every song on "led zeppelin II".

By J on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

After the Beatles,Led Zepplin,changed my life,I saw them on their first tour,I'm fucking old.I tried to get backstage but it was all roped off,Robert Plant did reach out and grab my right tit on their way out of the building.I still love Ten Years After.You should see my vinyl.

By agatha on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

i am currently listening to "mermaid avenue" by billy bragg and wilco, it's all woodie guthrie covers. i like it, mostly, except when annoying natalie merchant sings solo.

i am at work. typing typing typing.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

its ramones tribute on the "Punk Rock Lunch Hour"

By Skooter on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

Old Monster Magnet is Tube amps, vintage phase effects, trippy vocals, Black Sabbath Bong Hitting Musc, or to quote one of the covers of their record "Spine of God" ITS JUST A SATANIC DRUG THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.
    I don't like thir new stuff as much either, but I heard that God Says No is a return to the traipp shit.
    I loved Graves in the Misfits, so shoot me. Whoes AFI?
    It's doens't really matter to me what period musics from. I like music made by Pigmies, as well as cutting edge. If it hits you in the heart, or the brain., or the groin, then it's for me.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

I love this quote by Thomas Browne on the title page of Schirmer's Kirkpatrick edition of the Goldberg Variations, which while it could not have been written about the variations since it's from 1643, applies perfectly nevertheless:

"There is something in it of Divinity more than the ear discovers: it is an Hieroglyphical and shadowed lesson of the whole World, and creatures of God; such a melody to the ear, as the whole World, well understood, would afford the understanding. In brief, it is a sensible fit of harmony which intellectually sounds in the ears of God."

I love that last sentence.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 06:36 pm:

wow. my copy - "the glenn gould edition" - just has an essay called "the marlon brando of piano" in four languages.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

what a lucky sonofabitch i am right now.....the Dj is playing almost the entire length of Waits' Nighthawks at the Diner

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

you know i've never heard this particular album, i only have Small Change and Rain Dogs....and i think...im...officially, BLOWN AWAY by this live album. Now i understand why they charged $70/ticket when he was here in LA 2 years ago. Id pay that now.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

correction...after calling the DJ to tell him he totally made my afternoon...i found out this is a recording in Cleveland in 1979...its one of those "wink wink nudge nudge" thingys.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:13 pm:

What, his wife's a goer?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

my BOOT up your ass up to the top of my LEG.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

What, your Buster Brown orthopedic ankle support boots? I think not. And anywho, I have a JUMBO TAMPON up there, installed sans applicator.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 09:25 pm:

And now, for something completely different, all of the words in this thread that were writting ALL IN CAPS:

RUBY
    ROCKS
    NO
    FA SO LA
    ONE PILL MAKES YOU LARGER!
    AND ONE PILL MAKES YOU SMALL!
    BUT THE PILLS YO MAMA GIVES YOU
    THEY DON'T DO NUTHIN' AT ALL!
    GO ASK ALICE! OOH-OOH-OOH
    GO ASK A-A-A-ALICE!
    GO ASK ALICE, WHEN SHE'S-A TEN FEET TAAALL!
    BEFORE
    ITS JUST A SATANIC DRUG THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
    BLOWN AWAY
    BOOT
    LEG
    JUMBO TAMPON

By Jada on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 11:35 am:

Type -o negative is in my CD player right now. I listen to them often .

By J on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 11:48 am:

Do you have a jumbo tampon up you? Just curious.

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

J - you laff riot you

By Zeph on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

um, why does everyone love NIN and Manson?

the only trent renzor i like is the stuff he did for quake 1/2

and manson...well...um..."the taste is not to be disputed", so more power to you, but he's not my thing.

sick of it all does more like punk now

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

really....i only paid attention to their first record many years ago, and they reminded me of a biohazard-punk-oi-metal kinda thing....heh

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

I find Marilyn Manson very disturbing, especially his videos. Although I saw a little bit of him on Politically Incorrect (somebody shoot that smug asshole Bill Maher, please!) and he was actually pretty funny and seemed oddly normal.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

i think Marilyn Manson is great.

it doesn't matter if you don't like the music or the image. the sheer bulk of the creation is incredible.

i mean, what a success.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

capitalist

Im listening to the Wedding Present -Watusi cd

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

Patrick, have you seen the video for 'Yeah Yeah Yeah'? I love it. It's shot like a late 60's spy show with go-go girls and David Gedge singing in a groovy nightclub while holding his ear like he's listening to a bug. Very smashing.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

no i don't get mtv or anything like , so i don't see many videos.

By Pilate on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

I've had a number of people tell me I shouldn't let my kid listen to Marilyn Manson. I just figure that if Brendan's going to have a musician for a hero, he could just as easily have latched onto any one of the homophobic fucks out there in the rap scene. He could also be listening to some corn-fed country bullshit from some yokel who speaks in monosyllables. Instead, he picked an ultimately harmless shock-rocker who also happens to be surprisingly articulate. Manson is also gay-friendly, which helps. He's got a generally leftist political outlook, as well as quirky taste in art and film. Unlike a lot of the musical dumbshits out there, at least he can actually TALK about art, film and literature. So I don't mind the kiddo listening to Manson. He could be doing a lot worse.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

So does MM believe in that antichrist stuff, or is it all just image? Must be a bitch putting all that makeup on every day.

One of the scariest videos I saw (actually, the last time I got high, a couple of years ago) was Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. I love that song, but the video, especially while you're high, is pretty disturbing. I haven't seen it since though so I don't know if it was just the fact of being high, or if it really is a disturbing video.

By Pilate on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

Personally, I don't think it's a particularly disturbing video (although it might seem that way if you're sufficiently stoned).

From what I understand, Manson really is ordained with the Church of Satan, but it's honorary and he doesn't use it for anything. He's pretty much an atheist.

It would be a drag to put on that makeup day in and day out. But hell, thousands of women (and drag queens) also go through the bother of wearing makeup every day. Manson's just looks a little different than most. I watch my kid put on makeup sometimes. It seems like a lot of trouble.

By J on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

Wanna hear scarey Dougie? I have this C.D. called loungeapalooza and it has Steve and Eddie Gorme singing black hole sun,it's really odd.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

Ha! That's gotta be a scream! Didn't Pat Boone do an album of metal covers a couple years ago?

By crimson on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

yep. i've got it. pat boone's cover of "crazy train" is absolutely mind blowing.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 04:15 pm:

Speaking of covers, they've been playing on the radio some guy who does an ok cover of Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, pretty much just vocals and guitar, but I never catch who it is. I wouldn't go out and buy it, but I'm curious as to who it is. Anybody?

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

Crimson, I lost the thread, what's going on with your homebuying?

Saw a thing last night on TV about people buying new homes, not getting them inspected, and having a 'warranty' and thinking that would protect them. All they wound up with is falling apart homes and a warranty that meant diddly.

I can't imagine getting a house without an inspector. This teeny fee and a huge amount of knowledge about what you're getting into.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 05:31 pm:

By crimson on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

i had the house inspection done yesterday. i should know the results by tonight. i'm also getting a warranty on top of that.

By Zeph on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 07:25 pm:

Pilate: i never said that it was wrong for ozzie/brendan to listen to manson...i just think that perhaps he might want to listen to something with some more...music (?) to it? i mean, like, there are lots of bands which have similar ideals...even some of those god-lovin' ( <--- this being key in the statement) hardcore bands (no, not like hardline bands like vegan reich) aren't homophobic, even strong supporters of gay rights and such. yeah.

sick of it all was mostly hardcore in their olden days, but they've softened up a bit so they sound more punky (i think they have a song on short music for short people, i'll check later) when i say hardcore, i mean the hardcore style of music (bands like stampin ground, glassjaw, hed pe (although they suck), earth crisis, madball, nailbomb, stormtroopers of death, biohazard, damnation ad, alterkation, sepultura, etc)

yeah. (wow, that's alot of useless knowledge...better spent on math (goodness knows i need that!))

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

Who knows anything about Rammstein? I see their commercials on MTV during Jackass. I tried a search on Napster, but they must be filtered. Is this truly a German metal band? They keep advertising a tune, Link 1,2,3,4 where all I can understand is "ein zwei drei fier". Pretty funny stuff.

By Zeph on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

yeah, they are a german pop-ish quasi industrial band. did you try the special search method on napster (the one with funny names?)

By crimson on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 07:37 pm:

By Pug on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 09:55 am:

I'm so old school when it comes to hardcore----to me, "Hardcore" is still Black Flag, Dead Kennedys. Circle Jerks, Crass et.al. The new stuff is something else---I've heard Powerman 5000 describe themselves as a "Hardcore Band"---and I don't mind them, either----but I'm not hearing it.
    My brother is in this band that have released a few CDs and have changed their style radically in the last several years....he says they used to be "Hardcore"(which is odd, because to me it just sounded kind of like alterna-metal) but now they're "New School Punk"----which to me sounds kinda like the Descendents by way of Green Day (i.e., poppy & melodic) but with the speed and intensity of, say, Slayer.

By patrick on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 11:28 am:

thats punk to me....hardcore to me is along the lines...og say Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Slapshot, DRI...seemingly mostly straight edge bands and mostly east coast....but it had to do with their sound....very heavy.

SOD, Sepultura, Biohazard, Slayer....that music always seem to be favored by the long hairs....with smokey trench coats who read comic books. Not a bad thing...but the notion of punk never entered in my mind thinking of them....just intense metal.

But im guessing Pug....these "definitions" are generational.....if I recall...you are in your early 30s, correct me if Im wrong...im 26, and Zeph is teen....so it kinda makes sense. The bands you mention were old school to me, and the onese i mention are prolly old school to zeph.

By Zeph on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

hehe...unfortunate, but true...

slayer wasn't so much hardcore as they are thrash metal like testament and sodom and such

yeah, most hardcore is eastcoast and sXe, or if not, then christian...or vegan

sepultura, well...when i said they were hardcore, i was pushing it, but some songs by them sound a little hXc

No Use for A Name is more punk now, but was definitely hardcore before

pug, what you mention is all the original hardcore: the punk rockers who wanted to be harder or whatever, so they went harder (than most punk of the day) wasn't alot of skin/oi bands hardcore, also?

and NO WAY powerman 5000 is hardcore..they're more alt.-metal

hardcore i guess can sound like anywhere from metal to hip-metal-hop (like son of skam and skam and madball and even nailbomb, i guess mesuggah, and a few other bands fit that too), industrial , heavy punk, speedy music, whatever.

but yeah, music changes as people and society change.

pug: i definitely respect what you call hardcore, as hardcore, although they are more punk rock nowadays compared to what is considered hardcore music today

patrick: i'll admit i've never heard of slapshot or DRI, but i think that the other too can still be called hardcore today right up there with current bands.

whats weird is i hear people call death metal "hardcore" (or at least the vocals) whis is mega-lame...there is a huge difference between bad luck 13 riot extravaganza or dying fetus, for example, and biohazard or damnnation ad.

what is up with everyone calling korn and slipknot hardcore? korn is just hip-hop with some rock/even a drop of metal in it, and slipknot is more or less pop-metal (some of their stuff isn't bad, but they're really not too great overall)

and my tastes in music are definitely not hte norm for teens (the "hardcore" for most of my age group is korn, slipknot, that fred durst band (i forgot the name), and kid rock, and rob zombie and powerman 5000...which makes me sick. a total corruption of good music.

right.

By patrick on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

go find DRI (dirty Rotten Individuals) and you'll hear where bands Sepultura, SOD all got their sound from...DRI were the original "thrash" skatepunk band in my mind, they played faster than anyone around them at the the time...1981, 82...well except maybe minor threat.

By Skooter on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

Okay, okay...Heres my sound off...Sem, where are you when I need you.
    Hardcore- Another genre impossible to define, like Alternative. I think Hardcore could mean early stuff like Motorhead, Slayer, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Crust, Laughing Hyeanas, early early Suicidal. Basically anything thats heavy as hell, fast as fuck, and features scary vocals.
    But it was called thrash, or punk, or whatever. it has an "I don't give a fuck attitude", coupled with a strange sense of unity.
    Today bands that I think might be hardcore would be Fear Factory, Sepultura, Soulfly, Crisis, Slipknot (Have you even heard this album, I mean holy shit is that heavy, and do NOT judge the album by the single they put out).
    I think there is a straight edge scene thats ripping it up, but I don't know anything about it.
    Other notes....Mansons first albums were awesome, don't care for the newer stuff as much. Sick of it all is horrible now, DRI was always bad, but in a cool way, and is any album ever made more hardcore or scary then Slayers "Reign In Blood/".

By Nate on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:45 pm:

how could anyone say SOD has more music to it than Manson?

i guess i don't belong here.

and korn is not hip hop.

dumbass.

By Dougie on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

Maybe SOD implicitly has more music to it than Manson.

By Nate on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

dumbass.

By cyst on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

nate, you sound peevish today. want me to send you a mix cd? would it be ok if it ends up sounding badly mastered (you would need to adjust the volume song by song)?

By Skooter on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

Korn has been moving away from hip hop on their last record. It was more like scream in pain hop anyway.
    SOD...You mean Soliders of Doom or System of a down?
    System of a...is an incredible musical force, starting with Serge's vocals, which sound like Perry Farrels long lost gypsy son.

By Nate on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

i meant Stormtroopers of Death. you know? Scott Ian, Billy Milano?

By dave. on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 08:07 pm:

gorguts - obscura

long live the cookie monster!

By Zeph on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

"Fear Factory, Sepultura, Soulfly, Crisis, Slipknot (Have you even heard this album, I mean holy shit is that heavy, and do NOT judge the album by the single they put out)."

fear factory isn't what I call hardcore...they're metal. (well...quasi-industrial metal)

ok. fine i admit. slipknot is not bad. they are heavy as fuck. but there's something about them that doesn't click with me...

slayers reign in blood is thrash metal...but i agree a great album...

"SOD...You mean Soliders of Doom or System of a down? "

HOLY Poop! i never even CONSIDERED that! i always thought thta when someone said SOD they were saying stormtroopers of death...sorry! yeah, system of a down..the vocals are quite fun

ok, fine. just like EVERYTHING else in the world, "hardcore" music is entirely up to the person who is speaking....it's whatever it is to you, and different to everyone else! agh!

Nate: SORRY! dude, cheer up! Nate belongs. and the "dumbass" line is great.

korn is more hiphop, from my perspective, than it is "metal"...

the manson i am most associated with is pretty much "smells like childern" and sorta the fact that most "songs" he's created aren't my cup of tea, or else just remakes from other bands... but what the hell do i know?
    oh. wait. fuck. i forgot "rock is dead" never mind...i'm a moron.

By Z on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

oh shit bye

By J on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 02:44 pm:

Ween,bananas and blow.

By Nate on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

"korn is more hiphop, from my perspective, than it is "metal"... "

korn is more metal that hiphop from ym perspective.

korn just sucks.

"the manson i am most associated with is pretty much "smells like childern""

you should listen to antichrist superstar.

By Dougie on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

All I know about korn is watching a streaming video of theirs on the web, a speeding bullet going all the way through it. That was pretty cool, but I didn't care for the tune which it accompanied.

All I know of manson off ac superstar is that tune the Beautiful People. Pretty catchy.

By Jada on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

Korn isn't so much HIP-HOP as they used to be. Their one of my favorites. The video your referring to doug is freak on a leash,i love that song.

By Jada on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

Dougie, Rammstein is another one of my favs.If your from the bronx, tune into 89.5-WSOU-F.M..To answer your question, yes they truly are a german metal band.

By Dougie on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:56 pm:

I'm in LI. I'm not sure if I can get 89.5. I know 89.7 comes in.

By Jada on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

Doug, Is it WSOU?

By Dougie on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

Don't know. Will have to check it out.

By Skooter on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

Rammstein is really funny. I knew a girl from Berlin named Caroline who hated them with a passion. "Ou de ah soooo horrible, I hate tem," she would say. I think they are silly, and really quite homosexual if you ask me. Good music though. Mansons music is really getting better, Mechanical Animals is a very well produced, well played album, even though it isn't as pissed as the old stuff.
    Fear Factory not hardcore? I dare you to put on Freedom or Fire on headphones and turn your boombox all the way up motherfuckers! I love those guys.
    SOD (both of them rule).
    Korn or corn always makes me poop. Heh, heh, POOP!
    Have been listening to the Clash Combat Rocks, which is a better album than any that's been mentioned on this post so far.

By patrick on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

fuck that....you want a rockin Clash album...go for Sandanista or London Calling.. makes Combat Rock look like music for retirement homes (hey thats an idea for Eno's "Music For series)

By patrick on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

btw ...im listening to an old band called Swallow....old melodic, dreamy Cocteau Twins-like....anyone else know whom Im talkin about?

By Semilama on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

<span>ok - Iwould call fear factory metal, not hardcore. SOD stradles the line for me, and imean the <span class=ResizableText0>stormtroppers</span> of death. I would disagre with you Z on the <span class=ResizableText0>musicality</span> of NIN. i think you ned to go back and listen again. <span class=ResizableText0>Especially</span> the last album which doesn't get enouh credit. You want good solid metal nowadys, undiluted , check out the Though Industry. Tey are different from most metal bands but not because they are hopping genres,
    just being <span class=ResizableText0>experimental.</span> ps. wold also disagre with labeling Motorhead Hardcore as well. sorry about the typing here, but it's webtv after all.</span>

By dave. on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 08:42 pm:

By patrick on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

Ride -Smile

By sarah on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:20 am:

Ben Harper - Live From Mars (double CD)
    Bela Fleck - The Bluegrass Sessions
    Beth Orton (still)
    Lenny Kravits - 5
    Sector 9 - Live

By semillama on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:25 am:

CMJ disc vol. 92, including: Weezer, Guided By Voices, The Living End, Aterciopelados, KRS-One, Soulive, Jack Johnson, Red House Painters, Husking Bee, and Les Savy Fav.

By Skooter on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

Which Beth Orton? I really like he for chill music. Really curious to hear the Living End, ehard good things about them, also Jack Johnson, and I must say that Mos-Def rules.
    I am still stuck on At the Drive In:ROC, which I think is one the best albums I have ever heard in my life. I need to get their older shit.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Guided By Voices is one of my new favorite bands. but i'm a dork.

Beth Orton's "Central Reservation"

By sarah on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

whoa, i just noticed.... soulive and red house painters on the same cd? what a trip.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

How do you pronounce Les Savy Fav?

By semillama on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

It's one of their best comps in a long time. Other bands on it include Monster Magnet, Sepultura, Mellowdrone, Alpha, The Minus 5, Mellow, Kings of Convenience, Cropduster, AM/FM, and Mink Lungs.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 04:23 pm:

Answer me.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

I would think "Lay Sah-vee Fav" (short a in fav) but I don't know for sure.

Don't get snippy, missy! We posted at the same time! heh.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 07:14 pm:

snippy missy? jesus.

ever try FUCKOFFSCHOOLGIRL?

hmm.

do you eer think abouthurting yourself? are you demotivated? do you hear voices? VOICES? VOICES?

can you sleep at night? are you frightened by your dreams? are you eating? often? needing? anything? everything? nothing?

do you look to the bottle for comfort? the pipe? the needle? NEEDLE?

did you drown? was it ugly? what grows in your fridge?

pills?

pills?

do you need pills? more pills? better pills? PILLS?

By Spider on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 09:29 pm:

Shut up. Idiot.

Thank you, Sem.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 09:59 pm:

heh.

By semillama on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:42 am:

PILS. greenies, beanies. Zonkers and conkers. Plastic eyeballs and rubber gonads. the ones that go all the way up and the ones that go all the way up then sideways for about ten miles.

creepies and peepies. whites, blacks, yellows, reds, and the special li'l blue ones for your grandpa. The ones that Britney Spears takes to keep her tail from sprouting back.

hoppers, poppers, boppers, stoppers, go-ers, mowers, blowers, stowers, rowers.

The ones that turned the Monkees into Junkees.
    The ones that you need to be strapped down to take.

The ones that Mark Thomas is on.

Got any?

By patrick on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

too many pills, too little time

i don't know which is worse, the flu and it's symptoms, or the so called flu medicine that has me all jittery, and awake at 3 am tossing and turning, sweating like a hog.

By Nate on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

no, dude, that's all the shit you've been snorting.

By Kalliope on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 09:45 am:

like a really big hog? or a little hog?

oh hell patrick, i'm all turned on now.

By patrick on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 11:55 am:

a really really really big hog.

By Kalliope on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

oh baby.

By Mik on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:18 am:

I'm looking for DRI on the web. This page is the ONLY page found by google with "dirty rotten individuals" on it. Can you believe it?

By Nate on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 02:05 pm:

huh. strange.

there are dirty rotten individuals on all the pages here.

By Dougie on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 10:33 am:

Don't know nothing about DRI, but I do love that movie, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 12:03 pm:

Oooh, child.

tonight I am finally going to see the Farscape mini-series! I have downloaded it in its entirety and am waiting to watch it. My ex roommmate (the only other fan I know) is coming over, but she doesn't know I have the mini-series. it's a surprise.

excitment, thy name is Farscape!

By kazu on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 03:42 pm:

nunavut

By Gee on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 01:54 pm:

he's gone. dead and gone.

until the next one, and then they'll bring him back to life. no one ever stays dead in sci-fi.

but for now he's dead.

By semillama on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 02:07 pm:

just think: Oswald must be nigh on 20 by now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact