Ok, so what is up with bombing Iraq

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Ok, so what is up with bombing Iraq
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

Seriously, what the heck? What are we trying to gain by dropping a bunch of bombs?

Help me, I am lost.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 07:44 pm:

have we dropped bombs recently on Iraq?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 08:23 pm:

we've been dropping bombs on Iraq for over 10 years straight.

By FuckAss on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:16 am:

That's what made the big media coverage of the bombings during the Clinton/Monica shit so funny. Yeah, the intensity was upped a bit, but it was standard practice by then. Too bad we have just been fucking the brainwashed masses and not the dicktaster.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 11:48 am:

as far as I know, which may be limited, we haven't had any engagements (i.e. bombs, missles launched) at them for the last month or two....did i miss something?

i know we have dropped a few bombs every few months with them, but did something happen recently isolde to make you say that?

someone, nate i think it was, posted a chomsky bit written after the last major clintonian engagement we had with them that made the most sense to me....citing the Nixon "crazy irrational motherfucker" policy....inciting terror in the region.

By Platypus on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

We just nailed Baghdad on Monday, dude.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

didnt see anything about that.

god damn mainstream liberal media.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

"but did something happen recently isolde to make you say that?"

Wait, Platypus is Isolde? I need to start keeping a scorecard.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

actually i just searched washingtonpost.com, cnn.com, latimes.com....

the only thing i found on cnn and latimes was a brief article of 24 sorties flown last thursday in southern iraq. apparently no where near Bahgdad. Where you get your information from platy?

Not to undermine this, but even Baghdad didnt report any injuries...they just basically bombed anti-aircraft guns, which has been happening sporadically since the conflict ended.

By Z on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 07:39 pm:

um, is she? oh my. why didn't you say so, isolde/platypus?

By Platypus on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 09:33 pm:

Yeah, I know we just bombed military installments or whatever, but I'm still not cool with it. I wish that the media would stop talking about our diplomatic talks with China (which are also important) for just a second to mention that we're bombing another country. And yes, the bigger bomb run was last Thursday, but we definently hit Baghdad on Monday. I also think that regardless of whether there were injuries or not, we should still be at least mildly concerned about it. In my opinion it's the sentiment of bombing that counts, not neccesarily whether or not you kill people. Although I am glad no one was reported injured, of course. This particular information comes from NPR, which is a news source I tend to trust.

And yes, for those of you who are totally fucking blind, I am Isolde, as has been mentioned and discussed SEVERAL TIMES on MULTIPLE THREADS.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 09:42 pm:

That must've been the day my Netscape plugin for braille readout was locking up my system.

By Platypus on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 09:44 pm:

That pesky braille readout.

By patrick on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 11:35 am:

im not disagreeing with the ideological standpoint at all...im just wondering why none of those resources i searched mentioned anything about the incident in Baghdad. I too trust NPR for the most part....but latimes has one of the best international news departments in the US, as far as journalism goes. The WA post is no surprise they neglect to mention any of these incidents as they are mostly a conservative leaning paper, and cnn....well cnn usually rides the middle. If we indeed bombed Bahgdad Monday, its curious none of these resources mention it.

By Zeph on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

wow, sorry, platypus...i've been gone for a while and havent read too much...jeez!

and if it isnt mentioned by us, is it mentioned by iraqui news or even uk news? i dont think i saw it on the bbc?

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:38 am:

No offense, platypus, but I missed that name change as well. I wonder who else did too?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

it was on a thread where i lsahed out, at a comment she made, thinking it a stranger, then realizing it was her....

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:37 pm:

I must have been in the field when that happened. I only check these boards back 24 hours.

By Skooter on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:03 am:

A whole lot of folks in these parts (Houghton, MI) belive that we are headed to war in the next four years with either China, or Iraq, or a Vietnam type fuckup in Colombia now that Georgie Porgie is the president. His daddy had a war didn't he? Republicians like guns and the milatary don't they? I just fucking hope we don't get into it with China. What do you think?

By semillama on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:31 am:

Every president gets a war. It's in their contract.

By Nate on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 11:36 am:

"Republicians like guns and the milatary don't they?"

Clinton was far more violent than the older bush.

democrats are the warmongers.

DEMOCRATS ARE THE WARMONGERS.

jesus, you fucknuts just don't listen.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 11:28 am:

bunch of rhetoric boy. your drooling.

Bush is extremely pro business. Hands down.

we aren't going to war with China. don't let the media get you all up in a lather. All that is happening is basically an enemy is being made out of China, to allow another huge increase in military spending (see pro business tip above)...if we have a clear defined enemy, the military sector can flourish like it did under Reagan and the cold war with Russia. There is too much at stake to ever go to war with China.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

"All that is happening is basically an enemy is being made out of China, to allow another huge increase in military spending"

that's such a load, patrick.

if anything, clinton's reign is evidence that we need an increased military spending. clinton shot off so many cruise missles at so many different countries that we have next to none today.

which is probably a serious problem. if you recall, we utilized cruise missles to flex our muscles when the USSR fell. to say "that's right, there's one big bad daddy left, and that's us."

now the world knows we're out.

so we need a better military presence. one that doesn't spread itself too thin, the way it did under the democrat clinton.

and it's not rhetoric, patty. you list the major wars of the century and next to your list write down the president who involved us in them.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 01:57 pm:

It's rhetoric in the sense that a president alone is not responsible for bringing us to war. I wouldn't say Republicans are war mongers, as that would also be rhetoric. War in the US is a complicated manner. Nixon's Linebacker Offensive in Vietnam was one of the largest, most aggressive war campaigns in the 20th century. Eisenhower brought us to Korea and some scholars would even credit him for starting the complications in Vietnam, not Kennedy.

there may have been democratic administrations in during the time of war, but what did the predecessor leave for the incoming? Bush Sr. left that little mess in Somalia for Clinton to deal with.

Your patroit missle example is indeed correct. But its hard to sell military spending on a public when there is no perceived threat. They are making China a "threat" so it's easier for the public to swallow. They aren't harping on and on about how our tanks need new parts, ships need new engines and the depletion of our cruise missle supply in the media. They are making an enemy out of China. Its so obvious I don't know how you can deny it.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:03 pm:

Bush keeps this up, your example of clinton's deployement and bombardment of Iraq will be superceded by the number of times Bush does it.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

patroit's aren't cruise missles.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

they can be what ever missles you like. the point remains the same.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:49 pm:

how can your point be valid?

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:59 pm:

you're nitpicking.

I misused the term "patroit" instead of "cruise".

move along

By Spider on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

It's spelled p a t r i o t. Please.

Nate, have you ever had a girl hurl herself at you like a cannonball aimed for your stomach, drag you to the ground, spread-eagle your limbs, and then sit on your chest with her knees pinning your arms down, while she takes your head in her hands and rams it repeatedly against the ground, all the while making strangled screaming almost-dog-like noises? The image is so clear to me.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

thank you spider.

though i KNOW the proper spelling, the keystrokes of oi are habit for some reason.

similar to when i spell just jsut.

but im glad you cleared that up.

do you people get a physical or mental sense of relief when you know someone's spelling is not correct? I mean, really, can you describe this sensation to me if thats the case.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

damn, spider.

i suddenly feel very...

fragile.

i'll go now.

By cyst on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

last night a friend of mine did a reading from the book she's writing. she read most of the chapter about the game called rape. she was the leader of a group of 10-year-old girls who attacked boys and pinned them down while one of them kissed them. she didn't know what rape was, but that was the game.

By Spider on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Nate, your virtue is safe with me.

Patrick, settle down.

Cyst, are you familiar with PJ Harvey's "Dance Hall at Louse Point"?

By Cat on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 07:44 pm:

Nate's virtue hasn't been safe for years. It's skydiving while smoking a joint and pumping leaded gas and telling Lennox Lewis he's a big girlie.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 08:55 pm:

hm, so that's where it went.

i figured it was dead.

By Spider on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 09:21 pm:

No, silly kids. I've had Nate's virtue all along. I was born with it, here, inside.

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 09:33 pm:

ah ha!

that makes sense. you've always seemed to have virtue-for-two.

or more.

By Skooter on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 01:15 pm:

Nate....Do you always accept whats being fed to you? If so, open your mouth so I can shove your shit down it.....People who don't think (for themselves), piss me off.

By cyst on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

no, I haven't heard the dance hall album. but I should. I will.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

hmm. i've got a lot of beer here. someone open up the cage.

i mean, really skoots, it was an accident. i didn't mean to melt your ratt tape on the dash of my car. i'll buy you a new one. it's nothing to cry over.

but really, go open a thread on something you're passionate about. it will be fun. unlock the cage.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

It's very good, if not as fleshed out as her other albums. I don't even know if it counts as an album. Anyway, you should go find it. There's a song on there that used to make me think of you, but upon reflection, it was unfair of me to think that. It's called "Is That All There Is?"

By Spider on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

I meant that the lyrics of the song reminded me of something you might say, not that I would think "is that all there is?" about you. I hope that's not how that came across.

By cyst on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

By Skooter on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 08:17 pm:

I Love Polly Harvey.

By Pug on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

I can't seem to access the lyrics to "Is that all there is?"-----
    ----but I'm guessing it's an OLD, OLD COVER----one that used to haunt me as a kid....lemme guess....
    The chorus goes, "is that all there is, my friend/then let's keep dancing/let's break out the booze and have a ball/ if that's all there is..."
    My themesong on alternate thursdays.....
    No---it's not a pretty statement----

By J on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

That's a Peggy Lee song,pretty depressing.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

You're right! She didn't write the song -- I checked the liner notes last night. You can find the lyrics on the page that cyst posted. She is indeed beautiful.

By Pug on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 09:18 am:

That Peggy Lee tune always fried me as a kid....love it, still.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact