why me laugh

sorabji.com: Is it art?: why me laugh
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 10:36 pm:

something dave said reminded me:

several weeks ago my sister and i were walking down near the lake in Toronto, and among the ritzy hotels and shops there was a place with a bright blue sign above- ESKIMO ART GALLERY
    Aside from the bright sign (with a polar bear, no less) it seemed a really posh style gallery, like the others downtown, with tiny spotlights on white pedestals showing off the usual green/grey soapstone native carvings, and a tigh-faced woman at the desk in a power suit. It was strange as well, in that it had a sign out front advertising it's *Happy Birthday Nunavut!* price sale.

I don't know about you, but all through my education here, one key cultural thing was drilled into us, starting in the earliest grades, and carrying straight through to highschool and beyond and even in general conversation now:
    you do not say eskimo. Do NOT. I find it strange to even type it now. No one says eskimo. Uttering this word would cause the most easy going of elementary school teachers to gasp and launch into a verbal frenzy. You do not say eskimo. You do not THINK eskimo. Our northern natives are called Inuit, and nothing else. That other word is racist and vile and saved only for very old history books that are to be laughed at for their ignorance. Eskimo is raised to the level of words that are beyond obscene, words never to be used under any circumstance, words that were used a long time ago and never again, words used now only by drunk nazis, a slur right up there with gook, spic and etc. You get my point.

So i'm staring at this storefront, as is my sister, mouths open, twin cigarettes in hand buring unattended. And how we laughed, and pointed, and gasped, and suggested to each other and the busy street that for all the subtleness and historical compassion of this brilliant business, they might as well open a gallery beside it of African art and call it *Nigger Art Gallery*.
    I wish i had a camera, at one point we had a few hurried business people stop and start laughing with us, looking at what was causing us so much myrth, seeing said storefront, exclaiming "what the FUCK? Gerry, come look at this!! Shit!! I walk right past this thing every day!"
    A good hardy-har-har for the Bay St. subway commuters.
    Mrs.Tighface inside had no idea what was going on, of course.

I have no idea how to end this story.

By moonit on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:19 am:

I was fighting with drew the other night, and yelled out FUCK YOU, YOU ASS. Then ran to the bedroom and put my head under the pillow so he wouldn't hear me laughing. I can't believe I used that phrase.

Does that distract from your lame ending? ; )

By Joe on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:51 am:

i am italian, wisper, and your story made me think that if i was walking down the streets of new york and saw a store with a sign that read "whop art gallery", i would find it amusing; thinking that it was some kind of nyc "cool" joke. i don't suppose that it works that way in toronto, does it? i've been to your lovely city several times and have admired its beauty and cosmopolitan make-up, but i haven't been there enough to understand its humor. that takes a long time with any place. could this be a canadian inside joke or is the subject completely off limits?

By dave. on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 04:43 am:

when my anthropology prof told the class about the origin of "eskimo", it was during a discussion about how many of the tribes call themselves something completely different than what they are contemporarily known as. the names were usually given out by a native guide, maybe a crow or a blackfoot, hired by a group of explorers and when the explorers came upon a new tribe, they'd ask, "who are these people?" to which the guide would reply something like, "they are the turdeaters" but it would of course be in the guide's language. so the explorers would note that on june 3rd, near the headwaters of the missouri river, they encountered the turdeaters and had a large meal.

i think this is funny because of the new age, native american spiritual movement that has led so many people to believe the natives were these noble, spiritually advanced, tree-hugging warm-fuzzy peoples when in reality they were just as petty and bitchy and xenophobic as anyone else on this miserable little ball of mud.

you have to admire their sense of humor, though.

By Cat on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 04:57 am:

I hadn't heard that "eskimo" was a bad word. We even have "Eskimo" icecreams.

Kangaroo is supposedly a translation of "I don't understand", which is what an aboriginal replied when some white imperialistic asshole asked what they called it.

There's quite a few examples of place names in Australia which translate to things like "woman's pissing hole", thanks to some twisted humour.

By Antigone on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

By Platypus on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 12:20 am:

Ok, now I really want to visit Austrailia.

By droopy on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 12:37 am:

I'm the only gay Eskimo
    I'm the only one I know
    I'm the only gay Eskimo
    In my tribe

I go out seal hunting with my best friend Tarka
    But all want to do is get into his parka

I'm the only gay Eskimo
    In my tribe

Well me and Muk-Fluk-Chuk-Buk
    We both like blubber
    But me I've got this crazy fetish for rubber

I'm the only gay Eskimo
    In my tribe

I make a wish on the Northern Lights
    That I can find a decent pair of whaleskin tights

I'm the only gay Eskimo
    In my tribe

And the seals they sing now...
    ar!-ar!-ar!-ar!-ar!-ar!-ar!-ar!

These cold winter nights
    Are taking their toll
    I even get excited when I see the North Pole
    See the North Pole...

I'm the only gay Eskimo
    Only gay Eskimo
    I'm the only one I know
    The only one I know-oh-oh-oh
    I'm the only gay Eskimo
    In my tribe.

By moonit on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 03:10 am:

heh love that song. They play it here sometimes.

By wisper on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

to answer your question joe, yeah, it seems largely out of bounds. Very.
    i asked more than a few people afterwards what they thought, and almost all of them replied with some version of the "nigger art gallery!?" idea, nor could many of them believe this place was actually real. They did think it was damn funny though, too, in a really sick shit kind of way.

It would be hilarious if it was actually run by Inuit people, i guess, according to the unwritten idea that people can use their own people's slurs but no one elses. I'd die laughing if i walked past a building on Church st. with a giant sign that said FAG BAR.
    But this was very clearly not the case. And anyway, Eskimo is regarded as a plain vulgar word, tastless in any situation.

i'm wondering if i should really have put this thread in "Words" now ;)

Someone asked if we have Eskimo Pies here, and i dont think so, i've only seen them on tv. Although i'm not much of a frozen snack fan.

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

we have eskimo pies here. i didn't realize it was vulgar.

i wondered a lot about the GMC Sonoma, when they started that line. you wouldn't see anyone roll out a Toyota Jew.

injuns fair game.

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

We got Eskimo Pies here and I realy like them. Injuns ARE fair game. Like if you go to a ball game you will see teams like The Braves and it pissd the Indians off and no body will do a damn thing about it but you know we do not have teams like the New York Jews or the Phoenix Black Folks or the Cleaveland Dagos or the SanFransisco Fags. The mascot for teams with Indian names alway show him with a big nose and a tommahawk too like some big cartoon idea of an Indian. If you drew a cartoon like that of an other race you would get your ass kicked.

By Dougie on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

"SanFransisco Fags"

ROTFLMAO.

"Now batting for the San Francisco Fags, Richard Simmons, wearing his cute little daisy dukes. Look how his cute curls hang out of his batting helmet. Watch out, outfielders, he can really swat that ball out of the park."

By Cat on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

Someone told me that there's a bar in SF called "The Cock Pit". That might as well say "Fag Bar".

By wisper on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 07:11 pm:

i think one of the teams in 'Basketball' was along those lines. I forget what city though.
    Then there was the time on Kids in the Hall when Buddy coached the lesbian baseball team.
    "they said my new uniforms were too girly....as if ANYTHING can be!" Classic.

i always shake my head uneasily when i see highschool or college sport teams called the Crusaders. That's just sick.

and funny. But mostly sick.

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 07:17 pm:

baseketball. it was the SF team.

By patrick on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 07:58 pm:

i saw a news bit about how they are phasing out dodge ball in school yards becaue of the nature of the game.

the "elimination" aspect and the fact you had to "hit" others was too much for their overly
    PC-ed asses. While cursing the TV...an 8 year old put it so succintly and sharply i was floored..."if dodge balls goes...then they should stop football too"

even an 8 year old gets it.

its currently banned in like 5 states to play dodgeball. texas being one of them. Hmmm

By agatha on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

okay...

these two condoms are walking by a gay bar, and the one condom turns to the other and says, "c'mon, let's get shit faced."

ALSO:
    did you hear about the midget psychic that just escaped from prison? yeah, i saw the headline in the paper yesterday, "SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE".

(i'm covering my face and torso and wincing)

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 10:54 pm:

I'm flying to Toronto on Friday. I may have to look for the Eskimo Art Gallery. Where on Bay is it? I'll be staying up in Markam, going up for my cousin's bat mitzvah, and getting out to the Black Creek Pioneer Village at some point.

Also, back when the USFL started, some comedy show (I wanna say it was The New Show, who else remembers that? but I could be wrong) did a sketch about the USGFL...the US Gay Football League, featuring the San Francisco 69ers as one of the teams. I can't really remember the rest of the sketch, and only just recalled that bit now.

By agatha on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 10:58 pm:

yo! you quit our games, other patrick!

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:29 pm:

I know...I bailed on the games site, Agatha.

Forgive me?

I should go back.

But I've been online so much less these days. I met me a nice jewish girl who pretty much rocks my world. I'm all pining right now, since this is the first weekend we haven't spent at least some time together since our first date. I was actually going to post elsewhere about all of that today. Might still.

By wisper on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:39 pm:

you want Black Creek when GayDay is on sunday???

It's not on Bay, it's on Queens Quay West. Between Younge and Bay, on the north side of the street. It's sort of set back under a concrete overhang with some other stores. The sign is BRIGHT, you can't miss it if you know what to look for. Take a pic!!!!

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

Will do. I always take some good pics in Toronto. Black Creek is where the party is, I think. Mom's cousin works there.

I think my sis is bailing on the family for the whole Pride deal.

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:50 pm:

Hrrmmm....I should dig out some of my old toronto pics. Took some good ones walking around last trip, after going to Sam the Record Man. Also have some family ones from that trip. My cousin Ida was barely a year old then, there's one someone else took with her on my shoulders. Now she's two and change, walking, talking; she calls me Kapshaw for some reason. Dunno how she got that from Patrick. Mosh and Amy she got just fine.

Last trip was also the last time I saw my great uncle. He died shortly after I left him, while I was heading back home. Turned around, and flew out to cali to be with the family and sit shivah, and the whole deal.

That was a turning point for me in a lot of ways. I grieved for my own grandpa, who'd died some fifteen years earlier, but there was so much tsuris around his funeral and unveiling that I couldn't do a proper grieving then. Made me think of my own mortality. Put me onto a spiritual path, that I hope to stay on, and follow more closely when I actually have friday nights to light candles and sit down to a shabbat dinner....

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:34 am:

what the fuck are you talking about agatha?

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:46 am:

Yo, you ain't the only Patrick on the block. Just the first one.

Actually, I was originally going to post as Patrick, shortly after I arrived here, but that's right when you stopped being Waffleboy, and I assumed you had seniority rights.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

i had no idea.

I have always though of you as a girl.

damn

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

No kidding.

Maybe you were thinking of my sis, from Bluestockings.

btw, I owe you a thank you. That discussion about the Lisa Diaries you had with Dinner Lady a ways back pointed me to Nerve, which is where I met my sweetie.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

no, i remember us speaking of that...but i always interpreted your POV to be a womans. go fucking figure.

nerve is hooking peeps up left and right. the sight printed a photo of mine...we befriended Lisa Carver and her hubby dave...met a few other folks whom we have become friends with...and some pals of mine i know hooked up across the pacific. He was from St. Louis, she from New Zealand. He went, the met, and he stayed.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

Suddenly, schlepping from one end of Massachusetts to the other every weekend doesn't seem so bad...

By agatha on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 08:44 pm:

other patrick, i totally forgive you. we should play again sometime.

i'm glad that such a nice boy as yourself found a good jewish girl, but explain the nerve.com connection, please?

and, i would appreciate some clarification about the "walking your dog" reference above. are you in denial, or did you get a new doggie? if so, i need pics.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:25 pm:

We should play again, Agatha. I'll be back to the games soon.

Nerve's got a whole host of personals. They're good because the format gives you a little more room to show your personality than other personals sites I've seen. I had one up there for a bit, met about half a dozen women, mostly jewish.

I've been dating m since april. This is actually my first serious relationship.

As for the dog walking reference...there's not one, but two new women in my life...come at just about the same time, too. Gracie's a two and a half year old shepherd mix, still adjusting somewhat, but sweet as can be. And my housemates have been incredibly accomadating around walking and feeding her when I've disappeared to Sommerville for a night or two. No pictures yet, but there should be some soon. Did I ever send you any of Soba? I have one or two scanned. Oh, I do have a pic of Gracie in front of Soba's cairn, up in the Berkshires. I'll have to scan that.

By dave. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

i'm pretty sure you've all seen this but this has got to be the funniest shit i've ever seen. it's worth revisiting.

i think i just wet myself.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 11:28 am:

"i'm glad that such a nice boy as yourself found a good jewish girl"

thats funny.

By J on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

My son is living with a not very nice jewish girl,I call her Lilith behind her back,she is such a drama queen,has tried to "kill"herself 3 times since Christmas,the last time was this last Mon. I'm going to tell her how to do it right,these little dramas are getting old.Strangest gal I've ever seen.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

That's the spirit!

By J on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 03:00 pm:

She kicked him out 2 weeks ago,then tries to kill herself,so he goes back and stays a few days ,she kicks him out again.Last thur. night he was up on the phone all night,then he lost the phone,the cordless one in the computer room,he broke the last one I had in there too.Fri. morning he starts demanding that I give him my phone,I told him to find the one he lost,but then he started throwing a fit,he didn't lose it,so I had to lock myself and the baby in my bedroom while he pounded on my door for over an hour,calling me horrible names to call your mother,I almost called the cops and if that asshole ever does it again,I will.His dad had some words with him yesterday,finally he's sick of him too,and he told him if he so much as looks at me funny,he's out the door. Last night we got 9 phone calls late at night from "Lilith's" ex-but back with him's boyfriend,threatening Ryan,his sister,and my husband and I,I saved the messages.For two weeks I've been so stressed,all I can do is sleep.I am alone for a change,everyone is gone,I like it like this.

By wisper on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

J, come live in my basement, it's $322 a month. Don't worry about the bad feelings that will come from leaving, i will personally make sure that my living companions keep you good and drunk and on a steady bong diet for as long as is necessary.

and did JusMice ever find that store?
    i wonder.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

I never did, Wisper. I only ventured south of Finch once, on Sunday. Walked along the parade route for about two hours, with a stop at Lush and one at Sam the Record Man. I shot about two and a half rolls of parade attendees. I'm curious to see how they turn out. That's quite a shindig! My sister blew off the family dinner for the dyke march on Saturday. I was at Black Creek that night with all the cousins. Bit of a whirlwind trip, but fun as always.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

hey, i asked on another thread last week perhaps you missed it. How is BlueStocking's doing?

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 08:58 pm:

Sorry...I must have missed it. I think they're doing alright. I know they trimmed the collective down to a svelte fifteen members, and my sister still has some business headaches. I will say, it makes picking out gifts for friends and relatives that much easier.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

well i hope they make it. the market is shit for upstarts like that. All the odds are against them.

By T on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 09:36 pm:

Hi, just an FYI from an American: I found your page while researching the word "Eskimo" on the Internet. I said the word repeatedly in my class the other day, and found out later that I'd made my class terribly uncomfortable. But here's the thing--I grew up in Alaska. At no point has the word "Eskimo" ever been described to me as being a bad word. In fact, it's a rather necessary term for those native peoples (different tribes) living above the Arctic Circle (as opposed to the native peoples living below it). "Inuit" is not an appropriate or appreciated term for the Yupik Eskimo. Here's a great explanation I found: "Name game - 'Inuit' or 'Eskimo'? By Steve Sailer, UPI National Correspondent: http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=17062002-072804-4319r
    Enjoy!

By semillama on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 10:15 am:

Isn't UPI the press syndicate owned by the Moonies?

So, is that guy arguing that no one should pay any attention to what people want to be called, just call them what is convenient to you?

He does make some good points about the mishaps in trying to call people by what is percieved by their actual name, but just because it's hard to pronounce doesn't mean it's ok to just call them by the old name. I mean, is he really calling for a return to the term "Orientals"? I note that he doesn't seem to have a similar problem with United States citizens being called "Americans" when EVERYONE in the western hemisphere is an American.

By TBone on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

Folks 'round these parts still say "Oriental".

By T on Tuesday, March 1, 2005 - 10:57 pm:

Ah! Interesting point about my calling myself an "American"--but please note that I live in Japan. The Japanese call me "Amerika-jin"; they call Canadians "Kanada-jin." So, out of necessity I have been calling myself "American" for quite some time. (And US citizens have a cultural habit of calling themselves "Americans" anyway--I do understand this is a sensitive issue outside of the US. Apologies. But it begs the question: May we call ourselves by whatever label we prefer?)

Likewise, may Yupik and Inuit peoples in Alaska call themselves by whatever collective name they prefer, even if that term is "Eskimo"?

As for the article, I don't think the author is calling for a return to old or hurtful lingo. I believe he is pointing out the complexity and paradoxes that arise when names are changed. I certainly haven't gotten it figured out!

BTW, always nice to see a forum without a huge amount of flaming (the cruel impersonality of the Internet). Well, back to the grind. . . -T

By T on Tuesday, March 1, 2005 - 11:56 pm:

PS OK, more mental gymastics: Perhaps we should refer to the Japanese here on out as "Nihonjin"? After all, this is what they call themselves! (For any new to Japanese: Accent is slightly on the 'ho'; a nasal 'h'; and the 'o' is as in the English word 'on.' 'Ji' is sort of a cross between 'ji' and 'zhi.') This all creates a curious problem with language the world over, ne?
    -T

By TBone on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 12:21 am:

What about Nipponese?

By wisper on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 12:30 am:

Thanks very much for posting that article T!
    The Inuit/Eskimo confusion continues. I saw someone call themselves 'Eskimo' on another message board and had nothing but questions for them. I must have come off as a total linguistics freak.
    I'm just going to play it safe and keep up with the use of 'Inuit', unless I'm in Alaska, where i guess they like Eskimo better. In Canada, Inuit is the only way to go.
    It still makes me very uncomfortable to see.

Are you in Japan to teach english? I assume that only because so many people are right now :)
    I'll try to spare you the many questions i have about Japan.

Here's a funny story about nationalities and names:
    One of the dudes I live with goes to Taiwan every summer to teach english, and he has a girlfriend there. She was visiting a few years ago and they went to a supermarket. She was looking at all the Ramen noodles and picked up Oriental flavour-
    "What's this flavour oriental? What's an oriental?"
    "Well that's, uhm.....you."

He didn't really know what to say.

By J on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 01:23 am:

Wisper, I think "oriental" mean Asian or Pan pacific things related to asian.

By wisper on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:25 am:

Indeed, but he didn't know how to explain it to her since she had never heard of it and it's generally considered a rude term.
    He couldn't just say "Oh, that's what they used to call people like you, honey! But it's mean!"

By Wisper on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 11:21 am:

Yes, it is rude to make a simple words or comments about asian people.

By D on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 11:27 am:

I rememeber visiting Winsdor Ontario, After we crossed the border, took a left turn and we spotted a funny name of a bar called "Baby Tavern". Uhmm, I was wondering why is that a place for Babies to have a happy hour Huh?

By kazu on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 12:45 pm:

speedbumps now prefer to be called *traffic calming devices.*

By patrick on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

i've heard that a common slang Asians use for Westerners is 'butter eaters', of which Im completely and wholeheartedly comfortable with and offended not in the slightest. In fact I kinda like it.

By eri on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

Butter eaters.....cute. True, also. Nope, not offended, but feel like laughing.

By TBone on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 05:14 pm:

Speaking of which, I recently saw a video clip of a fat kid eating a stick of butter on a dare. He almost made it.

By wisper on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 06:18 pm:

oh look, Bruisedboy or "D" (cache-dtc-ad02.proxy.aol.com 205.188.116.196) is impersonating us now.

By TBone on Wednesday, March 2, 2005 - 06:54 pm:

It's cute how they think we can't tell.

By dave. on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 03:22 am:

our friend jen is the drummer in the band buttersprites.

shit, now this is gonna show up in google.

By dave. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 10:20 pm:

By droopy on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

i wish dave was my dad. i need a bass amp. preferably a '79 ampeg.

i thought you didn't like the ramones.

i once taught a bluegrass player from sparta, texas how to play "i wanna be sedated."

By dave. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

in the guitar link, it defaults to the faded cherry, but if you mouse over the words "faded brown", that's the one she got.

the ramones aren't my favorite at all. but all i know are barre chords (and jangly funk riffs) so, they're perfect for teaching what i know to her. and i can probably manage the drum parts while she plays guitar, and vice versa.

i was listening to that mclusky riff on the fox news link rowlfe posted a couple days ago. i know i can play that. simple rock. rock simple.

droop, you don't want me for your dad. you want your dad to have my friends.

By dave. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

and this traynor is very much like a cross between ampeg and hi-watt. i can't wait for cleo to get back from the camp with the guitar so i can fire it up.

By droopy on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 11:42 pm:

i've only seen my dad twice in the past ten years. and that's only because my sister's been married twice.

be my rock daddy.

By dave. on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 11:47 pm:

update: smoosh were the featured guest at the camp today and cleo got a ride back to our friend's house with them, where she's staying this week. she said they're totally cool and their dad's really nice.

and she learned how to play iron man on the guitar. (prolly just the riff)

i'm grinning like a mofo.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 12:00 am:

aww, dr. oop. i'm extending a big, non-creepy, daddy hug.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 12:18 am:

By patrick on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 06:21 pm:

sweet!

By JusMiceElf on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

So strange to reread this thread, from when I was dating my
    ex wife. What a journey it's been since then.

By Antigone on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:33 am:

And it was while I was dating my ex wife as well.

You said it, brother.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:36 am:

It wasn't for me dating, but, remembered paying my ex-wife the child support.

By ... on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I never knew "Eskimo" to be derogatory until reading
    this thread. I've known Alaskans who called
    themselves Eskimo without stigma. I guess it's a
    Canadian thing.

"Ginger" is an epithet unknown in the U.S. but which
    is scandalous in the U.K. Someone at b3ta (I think)
    took comments from a Guardian article about gingers
    and substituted "ginger" with "nigger". There was
    much trolling bloodbath but it was a good bloodbath.

In the U.S. African-Americans calling each other
    "nigger" is alright but that doesn't mean people from
    other races can gladhappily use that term. It's like
    saying "My mother is a cunt". If that is something
    you say about your own mother then peace out to your
    angry self but that does not make it OK for anyone
    else to say it. Or does it? I don't fucking know. I
    have not dated a strictly "white" woman in +/-10
    years. Race, even with completely Caucasian white
    women, has become a focal point of everything I've
    been in since ~2005. Race is one powerful
    motherfucker.

I found that USGFL skit mentioned 14 years ago. I
    looked it up because a friend and I were talking
    about the USFL and, tangentially, Mad Magazine's
    "BASEBRAWL". I thought this USGFL gag might be
    germane to that discussion but I don't think it is.
    Had to watch into it a while before concluding that
    the actor was not Robin Williams, who I was watching
    last night in "The World According To Garp":

http://bit.ly/1mhkV10

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Hey Mark, I understand that you post the "Eskimos" things, I have always thought that the Alaska is the only state to have "Eskimo", I know growing up eating my favorite Eskimo ice cream and reading the history of Eskimo and lots of going on.

Here is the link:https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/

In Canada, they called "Inuit" while the other were called " First Nation", or "Metis" which is known to Canadian Indians, Metis are referring to be residing at the Red River or Saskatchewan River in Saskatchewan.

Boy, you got to love Saskatchewan and my Canadian parent are proud of me for knowing the history of Canada.

Hello Justin Trudeau!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact