Magick and Music

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Magick and Music
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

Don't know if any one has any useful links or information here, but first let me provide a little background on where I'm coming from. I am a practising Pagan with interest in Shamanic/Psychedelic journeys using music and rythem. I know of a few bands like Nuerosis and Coil that combine these forces. Does any one have any Coil that they would be willing to burn, dub or trade for me? I don't really have a lot of money to actually buy those CD's right now.
    Also I was wondering if anyone knew good websites about Magick Music?
    We (some friends and I) have been playing with rythem and drums to achieve trance state, but where do we go from here?
    Does any one know anything that is easy to understand about Crowley? all of the stuff I can find is gobbledegook, and really doens't make much sense to me.
    If you can help me out with a COIL mix tape, I would sure like that.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

RAW had some good stuff on Crowley in one of his books, but can't recall which one.

The key to trance music is repetition.

By pez on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

listening to music is powerful. it makes me smile and dance and weep to be either a part of something or to be so close. the purging of emotion to those around you.

some musics are good for a trance state. "debussy for daydreaming" is a tape i'll use for meditation.

more than the words to communicate the meaning. more than words. conveys a holisticness of being. music is a language of emotion that i certainly wouldn't trade for the world.

a gift.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 04:17 pm:

pez is alive. she's really awake.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

damn.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 05:01 pm:

and sometimes I envy her that.

By Lesley on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:13 am:

i trance to music

By Nate on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

i trance to morons

uhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

By Art on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 03:58 pm:

Youn don't need anyone to burn a cd for you,just download WinMX[it's free] and start downloading all the music you want

By Psiloq on Wednesday, June 7, 2006 - 03:46 pm:

Musick is an eternal gateway into closed eye perceptions, within an awakened soul and mind. The influence is above all and beyond ultimate perception, only controlled by the individual message, sound, soul and word purpose through which it was conceived at the time. Fluctuation in time as well as perception appears rapidly within life, but whenever musick is created and made it seals that specific moment while rapdily echanging appearance all-the-while conceiving true intentions over and over. This counter-activity forged from the specific lines drawn and outsider perceptions is what creates the beautiful work in which makes musick an eternal gateway into the artist realm of conciousness.

By spiracle on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 01:03 pm:

. . . . .

By Nate on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 01:12 pm:

oh c'mon. weren't you in college once? didn't you dabble in psychedelics?

droning away to the patterns in your skull. you come out of it with the sense that you learned something hugely important, if only you could remember what that was.

and then you write out something selfimportant and meaningless.

and life goes on for the rest of us.

By spiracle on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 01:28 pm:

no..actually..

i was afraid i wouldn't stop dabbling..i come from a family of addictive personalities..

i read that it is believed that during dreams, our brain mimics people on psychedelics and those people with serious mental disorders..

i have pretty fucked up dreams, granted..but my brain never goes there when i'm awake, no, and not typing on a keyboard, no, no, no..

unless i drink alot..then it goes half way there..but not all the way there and over the cliff..nope..

By Nate on Friday, June 9, 2006 - 03:30 pm:

drinking is the only thing i picked up in college that i still dabble in. we are addictive personalities here, as well, but i didn't really worry about that back then. maybe i still don't. not for myself, anyway.

my dreams have been incredibly fucked up the past few nights. i can see them as mimicing life with a serious mental disorder. not psychedelics, though.

psychedelics were perfect for the college years. before you are woven into adulthood and the responsbilities that suggests.

but you do risk dropping acid and listening to some psytrance and then babbling like terrence mckenna with a severe concussion.

By sarah on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:33 pm:

why as adults DO we stop taking acid? i never really understood that.

maybe we feel like we just can't waste that kind of time anymore.

i remember the last time i dropped acid. i got about 1/2 way through it, and i thought to myself, "oh. it's THIS again."

that's when i decided not to pursue it anymore.

By sarah on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:36 pm:

oh. and music is so important, if for no other reason than catharsis.

it doesn't matter if it's trance or metal or classical or what. who's to say one man's billy squire isn't another man's beethoven?

By semillama on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 02:19 pm:

Sarah, That's exactly how I felt about my last trip about ten years ago or so. At some point, the novelty wore off and I was ready to be sober.

By droopy on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

some french guy once said: we often flatter ourselves that we are giving up our vices when, in fact, our vices are giving us up. that's the way i see it. i would love nothing better than to be drunk, stoned, trippin', or anything else on a continuous basis. but all the fundrugs and the harder alcohols are finding me to be an unfitting host. i really loved taking a vicodin everday for 3 weeks, but when it was over it was a bitch. maybe it's the paralysis, but my body takes way to long to recover from drug use.

on a more positive note: university of california researchers have found that even a lifetime of marijuana smoking - as many as 22,000 joints - will not cause cancer.

so toke one for the droopster.

By Nate on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:20 pm:

cancer is not my problem with weed.

i think the issue i have with so many of these things is the weight of things i feel like i should be doing. do i have time to be insane for eight hours? technically, yes. but can i enjoy it without worrying about work or something? not really. not anymore. it doesn't seem that way.

fucking crap.

By sarah on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:11 pm:

i wish them alcohol would give me up.

By heather on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:00 pm:

i don't think i've ever had real, decent dose acid. but that's okay, i am probably not a good candidate.

i am too tired from normal getting up and living the day, though i would consider e on occasion if the zoloft didn't mess it up.

i wish i was more interested in drinking sometimes, but i am not interested in the panic attacks that often follow.

i am not going to tell you guys that meth is nothing like you think it is, and it *is* easy to do it just once or twice a year [once, not for like days and days.]

we found heroin in someone's garden, we took it to the police.

i wish cola would give me up.

By droopy on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:51 pm:

i'm listening to glenn gould play bach's goldberg variations while trying to translate a story about a dying man from early 1900's, south american spanish to english. (without having a decent command of spanish.)

it's a little like being on vicodin.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact