john of god

sorabji.com: Is it art?: john of god
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:25 am:

i've got a friend who has some medical problems. the ligaments in the vertebrae of her neck have eroded or something, and bone is touching bone. she's already had one operation and had to wear a neck brace for a couple of months. now she's having problems again and they want to do another operation.

her doctor is "dr. phil" (that's how she refers to him.) by all accounts he's the one of the top neurosurgeons in fort worth. i've met him briefly. he seems very dynamic - energetic, tall and erect, fastidious in his appearance, friendly and easy-going, quick-witted when you talk to him. i know somebody who was in a painting class with him. he said phil was "really smart."

dr. phil spends part of the year in brazil. he does some work at a clinic down there, and also likes to visit john of god, a healer in the mountains down there. dr. phil seems to think there's something to him. he went down there, gave j.o.g. my friend's vital statistics, and came back with a bunch of herbs for her to take. she says she has more energy, so what the hell. as long as phil doesn't drag her down to the jungle and have the dude perform surgery with his bare hands on her, i guess it'll be ok.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:56 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

Heh, you have to love someone who becomes a soldier to escape marriage.

By drpy on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

so that's the other john of god. when i was at the hospital, i heard a woman say "well, he's not THE john of god!" when that brazilian dude was mentioned.

love is a strong word. i respect him for it. (though i noticed there was a link to "ave maria catholic singles", spider.)

shit, i don't know.

i was reading an article on chekhov just now:

"as always, and unlike tolstoy, chekhov leaves the question of what it all means unanswered. he raises it, but then - as if remembering that he is a man of science and a rationalist - seems to shrug and walk out of the room."

By drpy on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

by the way - you ever get that email about the mountain and the hominid who loved me and the filipino scientists who speak latin and the end of the world?

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

best known healer of the past 2000 years?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

Yes, I did, and I'm still trying to figure it out. When you dream, you dream big, kid.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

look who's talking.

he must have jesus's pr man, heather.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 09:31 am:

(I liked calling you kid.)

I dreamt I was molested by a priest last night. I think I was a boy in the dream.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 09:35 am:

do you forgive him?

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 10:15 am:

I don't remember. I remember he tried to lure me with board games.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 10:19 am:

that is so evil.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 10:57 am:

It wasn't that scary.

By agatha on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:54 am:

i would have been no match for the lure of board games, that's for sure.

dave, you drank all the coffee, damn you!

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

Am I being laughed at? :~(

By dave. on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

you weren't but now you are.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 01:14 pm:

Monster.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 01:14 pm:

i had a dream last night that i had been shot. i left the bullet in my body, and it slowly began to contort my body. i went to several doctors to try to stop it, but couldn't.

my mother calls me kid.

you can call me father.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

Oh, I'd rather not.

By drpy on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

but dave can.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

i make no sense anymore.

i forgot to say that a while ago i had a dream i was suddenly in the middle of the streets of palestine - maybe it was jenin - in the middle of raging gunfire. sitting in my chair, in the middle of the street, in the open. i think i was actually shot in this one, too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact