sarah brightman,...valid or bullshit?

sorabji.com: Is it art?: sarah brightman,...valid or bullshit?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Joe on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 01:49 am:

what's the deal? she seems to be able to negotiate art and pop music with equal agility. no one has been able to do that since mario lanza (in my opinion). however, i can't decide if she's real or just hyped-up production values. any thoughts?

By Devotchka on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:47 am:

Just like Sigur Ros? I don't like the song Svefn-g-englar, I thought it was a girl at first, it's too repetitious. But I feel a need to love Sigur Ros, because they're so hyped up by internet goons, I like some of their stuff, but I just don't get it.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:48 am:

she has nice tits.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 11:00 am:

nothing is more disturbing than a adult woman with fairy wings.

especially when she has nice tits.

goddamnit.

she put on a good show. i saw her a couple years ago. she obviously has a giant ego and a mind like a child, though.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

chicks and those silly fairy wings seems to be a trend. disturbing in deed.

i have no idea who you people are talking about

By pez on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

i saw her too... definately a good show. but her voice hurt my ears sometimes.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 06:14 pm:

if the wings are sparkly then you can flitter away into the ether and the real world no longer exists.

then again, maybe fairy wings are the real world.

what is reality? any thoughts?

By The Watcher on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

Reallity does not exist.

The only reallity is in your mind.

And, we are all inmates of an assylum!

Think about it.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

I'm thinking about it, ok done. Sarah Brightman and The Watcher are just figments of the imaginations of brains in vats kept in Branson, MO. Everyone else here is very real.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 07:19 pm:

sorabjifest 2003: Branson, MO.

By Joe on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:56 am:

now that would be fucking wild!

By Joe on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 01:02 am:

back to sarah, just because she was in the original cast of "phantom" and she was andrew lloyd webber's wife, does she deserve all the hype? how many serious (and really good) female opera singers must be out there who wish they could have "the hype"? that's what's fucked up about the music business.

By Nate on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 01:55 am:

what, megalomania somehow precludes you from being a serious (and really good) musician?

By heather on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:06 am:

the only reason you get a chance to hear most singers [the good and the not so good ones] is because they want the so-called hype

and now i must say,

duh

By J on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:38 am:

I've always wanted wings....

By Joe on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 03:47 am:

???

By Dougie on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 05:58 pm:

Anybody here ever been to Branson? Spunkman? Do they have gambling, or do you have to go out on the river for that? I'm only going if there's a week-long double billing of Andy Williams and Sarah Brightman (both in wings) singing Moon River as a duet over and over and over the entire show (they can modulate up a 1/2 step every other rendition).

By Joe on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 01:41 am:

it's not how good you are, but who you know.

By Joe on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 02:10 am:

nate, that's not what i meant. i just think that she gets away with certain "technique" things that she wouldn't if she wasn't so famous.

By heather on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 03:07 am:

didn't we mention branson?

the amazing jennifer at the americana theatre?
    presleys' country jubilee?
    shepherd of the hills [now with free dinner]?

and the talk of the town, shoji tabuchi show?!?

i have to say i think it would be very enjoyable to experience this place and hang out with sem, sarah and wisper- something about it seems appropriate

By Joe on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 01:26 am:

and what would all of you do?

By Ophelia on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 11:02 am:

fly around with sparkly wings and fairydust singing and arguing about reality and politics.

count me in!

By semillama on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

What WOULDN'T we do?

it would probably involve drinks and laughing
    and making fun of those who richly deserve it.

plus eating good southern cuisine if we could
    find it.

By heather on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 03:09 pm:

don't feel left out joe, everyone's invited, we just haven't met you yet

By Joe on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 01:16 am:

thanx, heather. that was very nice.

By Joe on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 01:19 am:

hey, back to sarah. ok, i can understand the opera voice and the "pop" voice, but what's with the "child" voice? who needs that? just my opinion. i don't think it does her any credit.

By J on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 01:05 am:

I still need the wings.

By moonit on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 03:28 am:

Can I bring my feather boa?

By Joe on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:56 am:

yes, mel. as long as it is wrapped around your naked body. i don't know,...hype bothers me. yes, she was married to andrew lloyd webber. yes, she was in the original cast of "phantom". yes, she has a great voice, but is it art? the schubert "ave maria" on her new album (whether it's her interpretation or her producer's) is total bullshit. yeah, yeah, yeah,...the schubert is so hackneyed that the public is dying for a different take. well, maybe that's that corporate point of view, but i feel that if she wants to be taken seriously as both an art and a pop singer, she needs to prove that she can do the art music correctly. then she can take some liberties.

By Joe on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:57 am:

and yes,...she does have fabulous tits.

By agatha on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 08:49 am:

ick.

By sarah on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 09:42 am:

i've decided it would be cool if i revived the saying "no doy!" and also "holy cow!"

By Nate on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 11:34 am:

no doy!

i was talking about 'moded' the other day. was that nation wide, or just SF area?

you're so moded.

By semillama on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:44 pm:

What the hell is "No Doy" supposed to mean?

By bongo on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:15 pm:

duh-hrrrrrrrr!

By Dougie on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

I remember saying "No Duh" a lot in grade school, but never heard of "No Doy". Although I have no data for it, "Holy Cow"'s usage seems to have slipped off since Phil Rizzuto's no longer doing Yankees games.

By Spider on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

We said "no doy." Southeastern PA, circa 1985. We said "dag" a lot, too. Daaaaaaag. Like, daaaaaamn, but different.

I like "great googly moogly!" but that's one of those phrases that's only funny when other people use it.

My favorite euphemistic curses are:

Cheese and crackers!
    Cheese and crackers on a pogo stick! (for when you've reached the end)
    Great snakes!
    Crumbs!
    Oh, tartar sauce!
    Son of a plumber!

By sarah on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

fudgeickles!

By Nate on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

you get all those from "curses for christians", spider?

By Spider on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 04:52 pm:

No, from cartoons. Is that better or worse?

By patrick on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:09 pm:

like what...Family Circle?

By patrick on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

er Circus?

By Ophelia on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

butt-monkey

By Joe on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 12:54 am:

sarah brightman

By moonit on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:53 am:

I'm scared now.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 08:30 am:

Spongebob Squarepants and Tintin.

My AOL name is one of Captain Haddock's curses. I don't use those myself -- some things must be left sacred, after all.

By Czarina on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 03:14 am:

I really hate to see that this thread has sunk so low as to using Spongebob's name in vain.

I didn't think I'd live to see this day.

This is a sad day,indeed.

Spongebob's friend Partick,has always reminded me of "our" Patrick.

My head hangs low today.

By Spider on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:43 am:

Don't worry, Czarina. I have never used Spongebob's own name as a curse.

By Czarina on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 04:57 am:

Bless you,my child.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact