They actually put this in a gallery

sorabji.com: Is it art?: They actually put this in a gallery
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By J on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:25 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

Nice.....
    That ties in so well with our discussion the other day regarding art and taste...

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 05:48 pm:

on the second one, I just want to see that guy stick his head in it

By semillama on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:13 pm:

To paraphrase Zappa, "Does Humor belong
    in Art?"

By spunky on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 08:29 pm:

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:31 pm:

Spunkem, I think that site is rather interesting...there's a professor here who writes about this kind of thing

By Spider on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:34 pm:

By kazu on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

baby juggling!

neat.

By Spider on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

Why is he naked?

By droopy on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:15 pm:

nakedness makes it more artistic.

the last art exhibit i went to was for ron mueck. after seeing hyperrealistic dead dads and gigantic newborn babies, baby juggling seems tame.

By Spider on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:25 pm:

To me, it looks like he's angrily flinging them away. His hands are in fists and he's kicking a little baby in the butt.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

nakedness is something that nudist normally do for their living...

By platypus on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:30 pm:

I'm with you, Spider, it looks like he is fending off an attacking horde of infants.

By wisper on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 01:10 pm:

that's "Man Attacked by Babies" by Gustav Vigeland. It resides in the Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo, Norway.

By agatha on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 03:58 pm:

Ummm... I kind of like it? Is that bad? However, having it in the middle of a park seems like kind of a strange choice.

By Spider on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 04:31 pm:

Yay, wisper! From your info, I found this picture taken from another angle.

It's scarier at that angle. GODZILLA STOMP.

(I don't agree with the commentary on the page I linked to. I think the statue kicks ass -- literally but also figuratively. It makes me laugh every time I look at it.)

However, what does it mean? I think it represents either a man's intense fear of fatherhood (like Eraserhead, but in bronze), or the embodiment of capitalist polluters' attitudes towards future generations.

What say you?

By droopy on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 06:43 pm:

i had a seen a picture of that stature somewhere before. but the one you linked me to came up a bit dark on my computer. i don't dislike it, but i'm still in too much discomfort to have strong opions the other way.

i like the idea of it being outside in a park. the pictures i've seen of it from an image search, it was on a platform in a pond. i like it when they put art in parks and you can stroll around. there's a place in dallas called the nasher center that's like that. i've always meant to visit it.

my first impression of the sculpture was that it was a representation of what a parent probably feels, at some point, after having a baby. maybe it was an image from a dream. i'd like to hear what the sorabji parental units have to say.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 06:55 pm:

When people do a "art" ,I firmly believe something has to do with, expression, communication or their point of view. Art comes in form, drawing,and whatever you have in your mind.

By Spider on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 09:10 pm:

Vigeland just might be my new favorite artist. Check out the the other statues in his park. There's some mind-blowing stuff in there.

I mean, look at this. "Various interpretations of the Monolith have been suggested: Man's resurrection, the struggle for existence, Man's yearning for for spiritual spheres, the transcendence of everyday life and cyclic repetition."

O RLY? I see corpses. "Man's ascent to greatness is reached only through the slaughter of millions."

Or this. This says, "Children are ungrateful swine and see you as a free meal."

By patrick on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 02:38 pm:

im with you spider. i dig him. the first statue you posted....its comical to me too. some of his other work....his angry baby pieces....fucking great.

with certain art, such as this, i dont think its important we dig too deeply to find meaning. its entirely possible the artist was just being comical. we could deduct overarching meaning...but im not sure its warrented with some of his pieces as to me, the meaning is right there in front of you.

i like the fact its blatently in public. the public needs to be challenged more with these kinds of things.

By Spider on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 06:34 pm:

Oh, totally. :) I was just having fun coming up with meanings because it was so provocative.

That the rest of his work* seems to be celebrating the family makes this one so much funnier.

*Except for the Tower of Corpses. That is some macabre shit right there.

By kazu on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 08:04 pm:

I really like his work.

By patrick on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 09:27 pm:

the love of my life ...nigel....she introduced me to the idea that 'art is the only thing that transcends time and space' that is to say are, be it sculpture, photography, architecture whathave you ....the whole meaning of art is that it communicates to you in one way or another and that isnt the whole point? isnt that the whole point of any art, as an artist, that you communicate love, passion, misery, sadness to someone?

i have a hard time ever considering my photos 'art' but if whatever ive shot, when i connect to someone who had no role in my exposure and presentation and they get something i intended, or DIDNT intend, but the pt being is that there was a connection....right? have you ever seen a piece of art that was made decades, if not centuries before you existed, that said something to you? isnt that the point?

have you had an experience with a piece of art in a museum that just floored you, stopped you in your tracks and spent some time with it and then finally, after some time it connected with you...you finally got 'it'?

that happened to me in NYC at MOMA walking into a gallery and seeing the cover of my first jazz album..Dave Brubeck Time Further Out cover The Miro piece, christ, Miro in general drives me crazy...

not only was that album the first jazz album i ever bought......im rambling here..

By Spider on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:00 am:

I love Miro. He seems to have tapped into the mystical creative stream that fuels chidren's playtime and usually dries up by puberty.

"have you had an experience with a piece of art in a museum that just floored you, stopped you in your tracks and spent some time with it and then finally, after some time it connected with you...you finally got 'it'? "

I saw this at the MFA this spring and was just....thunderstruck. It fixed me to the spot and held me there until I cried. The emotion is overwhelming.

There's another painting in their permanent collection, an abstract painting by a Spanish artist whose name I can't remember now, that reminds me of a car crash on a rainy evening. Lots of greys, reds, and yellows. It's really engaging -- your eye is constantly moving over all the tiny details on the canvas, and...I don't know. It sets my brain on fire. Gaaah, I wish I could remember the artist's name.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:12 am:

(Oops, I meant the emotion *in the painting* is overwhelming.)

By droopy on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:19 am:

for years i had a miro print that i had bought at a flea market. it disappeared when i moved into my current apartment 9 years ago.

my first experience with art that i can remember was in a book that my grandfather had given to me when i was very young. it was a book of world history, but it had a few pictures of works of art in it. a picture of magritte's "golconda" and a detail from bosch's "garden of earthly delights" really fascinated me. i have books of both men's works in my bookshelf.

the ron mueck exhibit i mentioned earlier really affected me. i kept the brochure just for the pictures.

By platypus on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:53 am:

Last year there was a collection of Islamic miniatures on display at the Asian, and they were amazing. I sat in front of one for almost two hours just drinking in all the detail. It was unbelievable. I went back a week later and looked at the same miniature and found a gazillion new details I'd missed before. If I had one of those on my walls I would never get anything done.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:18 pm:

By Danielssssgoat on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:17 am:

thread killer

By Spider on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:57 pm:

No way, I love that guy's work. (And that's a great picture.) I used to have a print of this in my office.

By droopy on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:34 am:

my experience with art today:

this afternoon a woman of 67 came into the shop. she said she was trying to start a business: she takes pictures children have drawn and make dolls out of them. we were a little dubious, but then she came in with two examples. the first was "my brother as a pirate for halloween" and the second was "my teacher who after school puts on a red suit and drives race cars". they were very well done. she showed us the original pictures by the children; the dolls looked exactly like them. she had serious skills.

By Danielscrowsss on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 06:59 pm:

so are you the wild eyed lassie crow or the gray chimney dusted outcast I wonder???

I have Krahe in my ofice, tucked into a corner of a gigantic frame which contains a not so well wrought seascape by the mother of one of my mentally ill clients. I have two more of her works, last name Moreno, hailing from Minnesota I believe, and one is really good and one is really bad. But the Krahe is tucked into the corner of the big seascape. I keep wanting to blow up my pics of flowers for the office and never seem to get around to it.

By Spider on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

Droopy, I swear there was once a Mad Magazine article about just that very thing -- they'd take children's images of toys and make the 3-D versions of those toys down to the smallest detail.

By wisper on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact